Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NATURE NOTICE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
73-77

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DONDON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NATURE NOTICE
    Posted: 23-November-2010 at 11:10

Hi gang,I would like to get a nature forum of interest active.

I have allways been v interested in Nauture and wildlife in my Locality.So if any body has anything to offer please post it.

I would like to knick off the subject re a survey of Gulls which have been ringed in 2009 and this summer.

I would be grateful if birders would look out for gulls wearing blue rings. Great Black-backed, Lesser Black-backed 
and Herring Gulls were ringed on Ireland’s Eye during the summer months of 2009 and 2010 as part of a continuing study. 
The birds have  blue metal ringss on their left legs and BTO metal rings on the right.  Reports can be sent
directly to gulls@eircom.net. A related website will be available soon at
www.gulls.ie that will include a report submission 
form. Recent sightings include a Lesser Black-backed Gull in Cadiz, Spain that was ringed on Ireland’s Eye in 2009 and 
regular reports from Howth (up to 10 birds in two hours), Bullock Harbour and other locations along the Dublin coast. 
Details of most European colour ringing projects can be found at
http://www.cr-birding.b

Edited by DONDON
Grover from 73(old Grove)

In the year of the bankers and developers
When recession raged across the land
there were many driven by the hopelessness to set sail for the Americas and Australia
Sponsored Links

DONDON View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
73-77

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DONDON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2010 at 12:13

The picture above is a Redwing Thrush and they are starting to arrive in Ireland fron Asia

The redwing is most commonly encountered as a winter bird and is Irelands smallest true thrush. Its creamy strip above the eye and orange-red flank patches make it distinctive. They roam acrossIreland's countryside, feeding in fields and hedgerows, rarely visiting gardens, except in the coldest weather when snow covers the fields.

You should see them in the open countryside, it likes hedges and orchards as well as open, grassy fields. Will come to parks and gardens. Often joins with flocks of fieldfares.

Migrants arrive from September, with most in October and November. They leave again in March and April, although occasionally birds stay later.They eat berries and worms

This the Field fare another thrush which arrives in Ireland about now.

Fieldfares are large, colourful thrushes, much like a mistle thrush in general size, shape and behaviour. They stand very upright and move forward with purposeful hops. They are very social birds, spending the winter in flocks of anything from a dozen or two to several hundred strong. Best looked for in the countryside, along hedges and in fields. Hawthorn hedges with berries are a favourite feeding area. In late winter grass fields, playing fields and arable fields with nearby trees and hedges are a favourite place.  They May come into gardens in severe winters when snow covers the countryside.

They eat insects worms and berries

Edited by DONDON

there were many driven by the hopelessness to set sail for the Americas and Australia
Black Russian View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2010 at 13:14
Could end up been an interesting thread.... Can we post Nature photos ???
"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th
DONDON View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
73-77

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DONDON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2010 at 13:59

Sure  That would be great .

I hope to arrange a birwatching trip for people who have an interest on the Bull wall some week end.

Gerry 

Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2010 at 17:06
The only birds I'll be watching along the Bull Wall will be wearing bikinis.
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2010 at 19:12
Originally posted by Pogue Mahoney Pogue Mahoney wrote:

The only birds I'll be watching along the Bull Wall will be wearing bikinis.

This time of year??
A man must have a code
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2010 at 20:32

Good thread Dondon ,i used to be a keen bird watcher ,,no smart comments now ,,

I studied most of the birds in Dollymount and Howth ,actualy done my school project on them ,,my fave is the curlew

You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
BrendanFella View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
1967-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanFella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2010 at 22:26

I'm with Pogue...My favourite birds have big boobs and long legs.

AH! Finno, you what they say about cold weather and "birds"....

BrendanFella

IRISH DIPLOMACY IS....The ability to tell a man to Go To Hell so that He looks forward to making the trip.

Black Russian View Drop Down
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2010 at 22:28
Originally posted by joey the lips joey the lips wrote:

my fave is the curlew

Curlew(curly) haired school girls
"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th
DONDON View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
73-77

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DONDON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2010 at 08:38
Originally posted by joey the lips joey the lips wrote:

Good thread Dondon ,i used to be a keen bird watcher ,,no smart comments now ,,

I studied most of the birds in Dollymount and Howth ,actualy done my school project on them ,,my fave is the curlew

Hi Joey you may be interested in this article.I had noticed a decline of them on the bull and causeway over the last couple of years

The haunting cry of the curlew may disappear from the Irish countryside’
By Lynne Kelleher

Saturday, October 16, 2010

The haunting cry of the curlew is known as the sound of the Irish countryside but the bird is now in danger of becoming extinct in Ireland.

The two-note call of the beautiful wading bird has been the soundtrack to a string of Irish films but now experts believe they could be completely wiped due to their natural wetland nesting grounds disappearing.

Birdwatch Ireland has released unpublished figures which show how the bird’s numbers have suffered a catastrophic crash of over 12,000 pairs in 1990 to just a few hundred pairs today.

Development officer with Birdwatch Ireland Niall Hatch said he was shocked when he realised the dramatic drop in the numbers while compiling the yet-to-be released Bird Atlas.

He said: "If something isn’t done this bird will be gone from Ireland in a decade. It is extremely shocking. We have seen a catastrophic decline while looking at the statistics for the new Bird Atlas.

"It has spent the past two decades plummeting more rapidly than pretty much any other bird in Ireland.

"There is only very sporadic breeding now. The curlew has been added to the endangered list. It was once so common, such an abundant bird.

"It would be a crying shame to see such an evocative bird disappear form Ireland. It is the sound of the Irish countryside.

"The name of the bird comes from its call. It is a very haunting sound and the real sound of the Irish wilderness which has been in many films and documentaries. It is a distinctive creature with its long curved bill," he said.

The organisation is now appealing to the public to help raise €99,000 to help save the species in Ireland as part of the Cry of the Curlew Appeal.

The sharp decline was spotted by Birdwatch Ireland while compiling the Bird Atlas 2007-11, a four-year project to check on the numbers and distributions of the birds of Ireland and Britain, which will be published next year.

"In the last Atlas compiled from 1988 to 1991, there were at least 12,000 pairs, which is 24,000 individuals.

"It seemed very secure here 20 years ago. In biological terms, 20 years is just the blink of an eye. Now there are just a few hundred pairs left."

He said many birdwatchers may be unaware of the critical situation with curlews because there is an influx of wintering curlews to Ireland every year.

And he said despite the endangered nature of the wading birds hunting of this bird is still allowed. He said: "One of the bizarre things is it is a species that can be legally shot in Ireland. This is something which needs to be looked at and we are lobbying the Government to take the curlew off this list."

Huge changes in the uplands, such as the destruction of peat bogs, afforestation, more intensive management of farmland have all affected their breeding habitat.

In the lowlands, drainage of wetlands and intensive management of grasslands have destroyed much of their habitat.

He said: "Their nesting grounds are disappearing because of the mono-culture of silage and the fact that grass is shorter and there is more frequent mowing."

The fund will also devise ways of restoring their unique habitats, such as re-wetting upland areas, clearing them of gorse and scrub, and improving grazing management to benefit their breeding.

To donate to the Cry of the Curlew fund log on to www.birdwatchireland.ie.

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Saturday, October 16, 2010

DONDON View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
73-77

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DONDON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2010 at 08:44

to pougue and bredan et al

this is what a curlew looks like

not this

Taylor View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
77-80ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2010 at 10:58

'like tranquil Bay air

pierced by the curlew's call'

The Universe is a void full of infinite possibilities
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2010 at 11:22

Or....

O CURLEW, cry no more in the air,
Or only to the water in the West;
Because your crying brings to my mind
passion-dimmed eyes and long heavy hair
That was shaken out over my breast:
There is enough evil in the crying of wind.

- W.B.Yeats.

Edited by finno
A man must have a code
DONDON View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
73-77

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DONDON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2010 at 11:28

Very nice FINNO.

RoundaboutToo! View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
’75-’79 and ’06 - present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoundaboutToo! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2010 at 12:42

Good luck with the topic Gerry  I'll keep an eye out for anything unusual.

Myself and Finno both posted photos of Redwings during the snow earlier this year.

I saw dozens of Curlews in the playing fields at Árdscoil Rís a few weeks ago.

There are lots of (little?) Egrets around too - one regularly in the Tolka and I've seen lots in St. Annes now and again.

BrendanFella View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
1967-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanFella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2010 at 13:16
Originally posted by DONDON DONDON wrote:

to pougue and bredan et al

this is what a curlew looks like

not this

Can you please explain the difference...

Oh!, hold on, I see it...the bottom one has no freckles...

BrendanFella

IRISH DIPLOMACY IS....The ability to tell a man to Go To Hell so that He looks forward to making the trip.

DONDON View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
73-77

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DONDON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2010 at 13:26
Originally posted by RoundaboutToo! RoundaboutToo! wrote:

Good luck with the topic Gerry  I'll keep an eye out for anything unusual.

Myself and Finno both posted photos of Redwings during the snow earlier this year.

I saw dozens of Curlews in the playing fields at Árdscoil Rís a few weeks ago.

There are lots of (little?) Egrets around too - one regularly in the Tolka and I've seen lots in St. Annes now and again.

Thank you for the info that's brill 

Yes the little Egrets are numerous, in lots of places.

Keep a look out for waxwings over the winter.There were plenty of sightings last year.They are usally in small flocks

The waxwing is a plump bird, which is slightly smaller than a starling. It has a prominent crest. It is reddish-brown with a black throat, a small black mask round its eye, yellow and white in the wings and a yellow-tipped tail. It does not breed in Ireland , but is a winter visitor, in some years in small numbers, called irruptions, when the population on its breeding grounds gets too big for the food available.

Berries, particularly rowan and hawthorn, but also cotoneaster and rose.

Edited by DONDON

Esthalon View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
86 - 90

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esthalon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2010 at 15:56

Bird Watch Ireland's Garden Bird Survey starts on Monday 29th November 2010.

They only had about 1000 responses last year so everyone counts! You can take part online or by post. Details at link below.

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/Ourwork/GardenBirds/tabid/121 /Default.aspx

It's a great way to learn all your feathered visitors!

For anyone that wants to help further afield there is teh Bird Atlas surveys, now in it's final year. A link is on the home page http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for Breakfast!
DONDON View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
73-77

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DONDON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2010 at 10:47

Thanks Esthalon,

That is very worthwhile and I hope some of us grovers will give of their time

DONDON View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
73-77

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DONDON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2010 at 10:52

GREAT BLACK BACKED GULL

LESSER BLACK BACKED GULL

HERRING GULL.... The most common type you will come across

These are the 3 Types of Gull with the blue and metal rings on their legs.If any Grovers are out and about over the weekend in Dollier or Howth or indeed other parts of the country.You may need a pair of  Binoculars to ID the rings.The website to report any sightings is gulls@eircom.net

Edited by DONDON

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>