Print Page | Close Window

NATURE NOTICE

Printed From: The Grove Social Club
Category: Non Grove Related Stuff
Forum Name: Off Topic Forum
Forum Description: Discuss Anything off topic here - upcoming events etc.
URL: http://www.theGroveSocialClub.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=900
Printed Date: 29-April-2024 at 05:43
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: NATURE NOTICE
Posted By: DONDON
Subject: NATURE NOTICE
Date Posted: 23-November-2010 at 11:10

Hi gang,I would like to get a nature forum of interest active.

I have allways been v interested in Nauture and wildlife in my Locality.So if any body has anything to offer please post it.

I would like to knick off the subject re a survey of Gulls which have been ringed in 2009 and this summer.

I would be grateful if birders would look out for gulls wearing blue rings. Great Black-backed, Lesser Black-backed 
and Herring Gulls were ringed on Ireland’s Eye during the summer months of 2009 and 2010 as part of a continuing study. 
The birds have  blue metal ringss on their left legs and BTO metal rings on the right.  Reports can be sent
directly to gulls@eircom.net. A related website will be available soon at
http://www.gulls.ie/ - that will include a report submission 
form. Recent sightings include a Lesser Black-backed Gull in Cadiz, Spain that was ringed on Ireland’s Eye in 2009 and 
regular reports from Howth (up to 10 birds in two hours), Bullock Harbour and other locations along the Dublin coast. 
Details of most European colour ringing projects can be found at
http://www.cr-birding.be/ -

Replies:
Date Posted: 23-November-2010 at 12:13

The picture above is a Redwing Thrush and they are starting to arrive in Ireland fron Asia

The redwing is most commonly encountered as a winter bird and is Irelands smallest true thrush. Its creamy strip above the eye and orange-red flank patches make it distinctive. They roam acrossIreland's countryside, feeding in fields and hedgerows, rarely visiting gardens, except in the coldest weather when snow covers the fields.

You should see them in the open countryside, it likes hedges and orchards as well as open, grassy fields. Will come to parks and gardens. Often joins with flocks of fieldfares.

Migrants arrive from September, with most in October and November. They leave again in March and April, although occasionally birds stay later.They eat berries and worms

This the Field fare another thrush which arrives in Ireland about now.

Fieldfares are large, colourful thrushes, much like a mistle thrush in general size, shape and behaviour. They stand very upright and move forward with purposeful hops. They are very social birds, spending the winter in flocks of anything from a dozen or two to several hundred strong. Best looked for in the countryside, along hedges and in fields. Hawthorn hedges with berries are a favourite feeding area. In late winter grass fields, playing fields and arable fields with nearby trees and hedges are a favourite place.  They May come into gardens in severe winters when snow covers the countryside.

They eat insects worms and berries

-------------
Grover from 73(old Grove)

In the year of the bankers and developers
When recession raged across the land
there were many driven by the hopelessness to set sail for the Americas and Australia

Posted By: Black Russian
Date Posted: 23-November-2010 at 13:14
Could end up been an interesting thread.... Can we post Nature photos ???

-------------
"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th

Date Posted: 23-November-2010 at 13:59

Sure  That would be great .

I hope to arrange a birwatching trip for people who have an interest on the Bull wall some week end.

Gerry 

-------------

there were many driven by the hopelessness to set sail for the Americas and Australia

Posted By: Pogue Mahoney
Date Posted: 23-November-2010 at 17:06
The only birds I'll be watching along the Bull Wall will be wearing bikinis.

Posted By: finno
Date Posted: 23-November-2010 at 19:12
Originally posted by Pogue Mahoney Pogue Mahoney wrote:

The only birds I'll be watching along the Bull Wall will be wearing bikinis.

This time of year??

-------------
A man must have a code

Posted By: joey the lips
Date Posted: 23-November-2010 at 20:32

Good thread Dondon ,i used to be a keen bird watcher ,,no smart comments now ,,

I studied most of the birds in Dollymount and Howth ,actualy done my school project on them ,,my fave is the curlew

-------------
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave

Posted By: BrendanFella
Date Posted: 23-November-2010 at 22:26

I'm with Pogue...My favourite birds have big boobs and long legs.

AH! Finno, you what they say about cold weather and "birds"....

-------------
BrendanFella

IRISH DIPLOMACY IS....The ability to tell a man to Go To Hell so that He looks forward to making the trip.

Date Posted: 23-November-2010 at 22:28
Originally posted by joey the lips joey the lips wrote:

my fave is the curlew

Curlew(curly) haired school girls

-------------

Date Posted: 24-November-2010 at 08:38
Originally posted by joey the lips joey the lips wrote:

Good thread Dondon ,i used to be a keen bird watcher ,,no smart comments now ,,

I studied most of the birds in Dollymount and Howth ,actualy done my school project on them ,,my fave is the curlew

Hi Joey you may be interested in this article.I had noticed a decline of them on the bull and causeway over the last couple of years

The haunting cry of the curlew may disappear from the Irish countryside’
By Lynne Kelleher

Saturday, October 16, 2010

The haunting cry of the curlew is known as the sound of the Irish countryside but the bird is now in danger of becoming extinct in Ireland.

The two-note call of the beautiful wading bird has been the soundtrack to a string of Irish films but now experts believe they could be completely wiped due to their natural wetland nesting grounds disappearing.

Birdwatch Ireland has released unpublished figures which show how the bird’s numbers have suffered a catastrophic crash of over 12,000 pairs in 1990 to just a few hundred pairs today.

Development officer with Birdwatch Ireland Niall Hatch said he was shocked when he realised the dramatic drop in the numbers while compiling the yet-to-be released Bird Atlas.

He said: "If something isn’t done this bird will be gone from Ireland in a decade. It is extremely shocking. We have seen a catastrophic decline while looking at the statistics for the new Bird Atlas.

"It has spent the past two decades plummeting more rapidly than pretty much any other bird in Ireland.

"There is only very sporadic breeding now. The curlew has been added to the endangered list. It was once so common, such an abundant bird.

"It would be a crying shame to see such an evocative bird disappear form Ireland. It is the sound of the Irish countryside.

"The name of the bird comes from its call. It is a very haunting sound and the real sound of the Irish wilderness which has been in many films and documentaries. It is a distinctive creature with its long curved bill," he said.

The organisation is now appealing to the public to help raise €99,000 to help save the species in Ireland as part of the Cry of the Curlew Appeal.

The sharp decline was spotted by Birdwatch Ireland while compiling the Bird Atlas 2007-11, a four-year project to check on the numbers and distributions of the birds of Ireland and Britain, which will be published next year.

"In the last Atlas compiled from 1988 to 1991, there were at least 12,000 pairs, which is 24,000 individuals.

"It seemed very secure here 20 years ago. In biological terms, 20 years is just the blink of an eye. Now there are just a few hundred pairs left."

He said many birdwatchers may be unaware of the critical situation with curlews because there is an influx of wintering curlews to Ireland every year.

And he said despite the endangered nature of the wading birds hunting of this bird is still allowed. He said: "One of the bizarre things is it is a species that can be legally shot in Ireland. This is something which needs to be looked at and we are lobbying the Government to take the curlew off this list."

Huge changes in the uplands, such as the destruction of peat bogs, afforestation, more intensive management of farmland have all affected their breeding habitat.

In the lowlands, drainage of wetlands and intensive management of grasslands have destroyed much of their habitat.

He said: "Their nesting grounds are disappearing because of the mono-culture of silage and the fact that grass is shorter and there is more frequent mowing."

The fund will also devise ways of restoring their unique habitats, such as re-wetting upland areas, clearing them of gorse and scrub, and improving grazing management to benefit their breeding.

To donate to the Cry of the Curlew fund log on to http://www.birdwatchireland.ie - www.birdwatchireland.ie .

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Saturday, October 16, 2010

-------------

Date Posted: 24-November-2010 at 08:44

to pougue and bredan et al

this is what a curlew looks like

not this

-------------

Posted By: Taylor
Date Posted: 24-November-2010 at 10:58

'like tranquil Bay air

pierced by the curlew's call'

-------------
The Universe is a void full of infinite possibilities

Date Posted: 24-November-2010 at 11:22

Or....

O CURLEW, cry no more in the air,
Or only to the water in the West;
Because your crying brings to my mind
passion-dimmed eyes and long heavy hair
That was shaken out over my breast:
There is enough evil in the crying of wind.

- W.B.Yeats.

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 24-November-2010 at 11:28

Very nice FINNO.

-------------

Posted By: RoundaboutToo!
Date Posted: 24-November-2010 at 12:42

Good luck with the topic Gerry  I'll keep an eye out for anything unusual.

Myself and Finno both posted photos of Redwings during the snow earlier this year.

I saw dozens of Curlews in the playing fields at Árdscoil Rís a few weeks ago.

There are lots of (little?) Egrets around too - one regularly in the Tolka and I've seen lots in St. Annes now and again.

Date Posted: 24-November-2010 at 13:16
Originally posted by DONDON DONDON wrote:

to pougue and bredan et al

this is what a curlew looks like

not this

Can you please explain the difference...

Oh!, hold on, I see it...the bottom one has no freckles...

-------------
BrendanFella

IRISH DIPLOMACY IS....The ability to tell a man to Go To Hell so that He looks forward to making the trip.

Date Posted: 24-November-2010 at 13:26
Originally posted by RoundaboutToo! RoundaboutToo! wrote:

Good luck with the topic Gerry  I'll keep an eye out for anything unusual.

Myself and Finno both posted photos of Redwings during the snow earlier this year.

I saw dozens of Curlews in the playing fields at Árdscoil Rís a few weeks ago.

There are lots of (little?) Egrets around too - one regularly in the Tolka and I've seen lots in St. Annes now and again.

Thank you for the info that's brill 

Yes the little Egrets are numerous, in lots of places.

Keep a look out for waxwings over the winter.There were plenty of sightings last year.They are usally in small flocks

The waxwing is a plump bird, which is slightly smaller than a starling. It has a prominent crest. It is reddish-brown with a black throat, a small black mask round its eye, yellow and white in the wings and a yellow-tipped tail. It does not breed in Ireland , but is a winter visitor, in some years in small numbers, called irruptions, when the population on its breeding grounds gets too big for the food available.

Berries, particularly rowan and hawthorn, but also cotoneaster and rose.

-------------

Posted By: Esthalon
Date Posted: 24-November-2010 at 15:56

Bird Watch Ireland's Garden Bird Survey starts on Monday 29th November 2010.

They only had about 1000 responses last year so everyone counts! You can take part online or by post. Details at link below.

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/Ourwork/GardenBirds/tabid/121/Default.aspx - http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/Ourwork/GardenBirds/tabid/121 /Default.aspx

It's a great way to learn all your feathered visitors!

For anyone that wants to help further afield there is teh Bird Atlas surveys, now in it's final year. A link is on the home page http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/ - http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/

-------------
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for Breakfast!

Date Posted: 25-November-2010 at 10:47

Thanks Esthalon,

That is very worthwhile and I hope some of us grovers will give of their time

-------------

Date Posted: 25-November-2010 at 10:52

GREAT BLACK BACKED GULL

LESSER BLACK BACKED GULL

HERRING GULL.... The most common type you will come across

These are the 3 Types of Gull with the blue and metal rings on their legs.If any Grovers are out and about over the weekend in Dollier or Howth or indeed other parts of the country.You may need a pair of  Binoculars to ID the rings.The website to report any sightings is mailto:gulls@eircom.net - gulls@eircom.net

-------------

Date Posted: 25-November-2010 at 11:17
If any of those Gulls shi*t on me there be one less 

-------------

Date Posted: 25-November-2010 at 11:47

Well if they do it's supposed to be a sign of luck.So buy a lotto ticket if it happens

-------------

Date Posted: 25-November-2010 at 13:12

Thanks Esthalon,

That is very worthwhile and I hope some of us grovers will give of their time

What's best about the garden survey is you can do it all from the comfort of home!

Since moving to Rush I've seen 26 species of birds in my back garden alone!

-------------

Date Posted: 25-November-2010 at 13:41

Good idea about bringing binoculars - you don't want to get too close.

Date Posted: 25-November-2010 at 13:42
Originally posted by RoundaboutToo! RoundaboutToo! wrote:

Good idea about bringing binoculars - you don't want to get too close.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-November-2010 at 13:44

Will have a look at the garden survey June.

don't get many birds in our garden, but saw a Blackcap last winter.

Date Posted: 25-November-2010 at 13:48

Actually there is a sea Bird called a Fulmar they have been known to spit (eject) a disgusting black substance  if you approach them such as the guy in the previous photo.

It looks like a gull, but it's not.True Gulls must come inland to drink fresh water as the fumer drinks salt water, hence the difference 

You can see a small colony of Fulmars the at Balscadden bay in Howth

-------------

Date Posted: 25-November-2010 at 13:58

I've seen Fulmars up close at the Cliffs of Moher too.

You'll see Kittiwakes too around Howth during the breeding season - you can recognise them by their calls that sound like - erm - 'Kitty-waaake'!

Date Posted: 25-November-2010 at 14:34
Originally posted by BrendanFella BrendanFella wrote:

I'm with Pogue...My favourite birds have big boobs
and long legs.

AH! Finno, you what they say about cold weather and
"birds"....

That's where the Blue Tit got its name

Date Posted: 25-November-2010 at 14:50

Ok Lads a small competition to get all of the tit remarks out of the way. There is a free pint in HBs on the 4th..

so here goes.

1. Name all the Tits that are asscoiated with Britian and Ireland. there are 8 species.

2. Name the 4 Tits who don't bred in Ireland

3.Who's the biggest Tit

4.Who has the smallest Tit re uk and Irl (  trick question )

You get one post and the closing time is tomorrow at 5pm

NOW off ye go LADS AND LADIES and may the best person win

-------------

Date Posted: 26-November-2010 at 12:34
test test

-------------

Date Posted: 26-November-2010 at 15:57

Jayz Dondon the answers are coming in fast for that free pint!

without peeping at Google, I can think of Blue, Great, Long Tailed, Coal (can't think of the British version of the Coal tit)

Willow tit, (or is that Gilbert and Sullivan) and Bearded (UK)

Date Posted: 26-November-2010 at 16:08

I didn't expect many, Obivious the lads are not very well up on Tits

But since your the only one to have a stab at it.The pints is all yours

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/w/willowtit/index.aspx -

-------------

Date Posted: 26-November-2010 at 16:10

DonDon..."4.Who has the smallest Tit re uk and Irl (  trick question )"

TWIGGY????

-------------
BrendanFella

Date Posted: 26-November-2010 at 16:37

It's called a coal Tit  and it's synonymous to BOTH the Uk and Irl not just to one.

Does that make sense

Here is the little chap now.

I think I come off on the Tit subject as it hasn't generated any interest.

PS don't forget to have a look at the Gulls over the week end.Those that will be out and about

Have agood weekend everybody

-------------

Date Posted: 30-November-2010 at 10:49
PS don't forget to feed the garden birds.and put some water out on a small dish

-------------

Date Posted: 01-December-2010 at 22:33

Think this is the first time I've seen a cormorant in a tree
(taken today (01/12/2010 Kilkenny)

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 03-December-2010 at 08:57

Great Pics. I have never seen a cormorant or indeed a shag in a tree.

The picture was taken in Kilkenny that's a good distance fron the sea

-------------

Date Posted: 30-December-2010 at 02:38
I have not seen one since I was a baby and can't believe they are back

"Shy bittern flies back to Irish shores after 150-year break"

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/1230/1224 286494
404.html

Date Posted: 30-December-2010 at 09:08

Pogue,

just came on to post this story and you beat me to it.

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 30-December-2010 at 09:14

It's called a coal Tit  and it's synonymous to BOTH the Uk and Irl not just to one.

Does that make sense

Here is the little chap now.

I think I come off on the Tit subject as it hasn't generated any interest.

PS don't forget to have a look at the Gulls over the week end.Those that will be out and about

Have agood weekend everybody

Theres a time and a place TMI

-------------

Posted By: Aries
Date Posted: 30-December-2010 at 10:10

-------------
THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE
BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST

Date Posted: 30-December-2010 at 11:02
Originally posted by finno finno wrote:

Pogue,

just came on to post this story and you beat me to it.

Likewise!!

Thought there'd be very few birds around after the bad weather, but the dawn chorus is great these mornings - and there aren't even any trees around our place!  Saw a Fieldfare on the shed roof one of the days.

Date Posted: 30-December-2010 at 11:19

I have not seen one since I was a baby and can't believe they are back

"Shy bittern flies back to Irish shores after 150-year break"

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/1230/1224 286494
404.html

It's great news about the bittern.I hope they stay to breed.

With the cold  snap we just had it's being reported that a lot of Kingfishers died, due to the fact that a lot of rivers froze over  

died

-------------

Date Posted: 30-December-2010 at 11:25

A wood cock was seen in a Garden in Raheny on the 26th of December.

They are a game bird and appeared on the 1/4 farthing.

Brendan might rememeber having one to spend

-------------

Date Posted: 30-December-2010 at 11:38
I remember being into British birds as a kid. Influenced mainly by Chivers
Jelly, who always had some kind of wildlife series going. I got most of my
animal education through Chiver's Jelly cards: African Animals, Cats, Dogs,
Horses...etc. My mother had to go into Mars Supermarket and open all the
jellies before buying a packet to help me fill the whole series. Without being
able to name a single bird today I still get a kick at seeing them when I go
home. Irish birds are nicer but we have a few exciting ones native to Ohio:
cardinals, bluejays and a series of hawks, eagles and owls.

Date Posted: 30-December-2010 at 11:42
 Fair play to you Pogue, did the jelly taste nice  

-------------

Date Posted: 30-December-2010 at 11:48

Here's a book to start you off bird watching.There are some spetacular birds inside  

-------------

Date Posted: 30-December-2010 at 11:49
It's all coming back now. Probably not still done today, but everything was
thrown to the birds back then.
After every meal everything was shagged out the window or the back door:
crumbs, slices of cake, eggshells, armchairs.   

Date Posted: 30-December-2010 at 12:01

I had a pet magpie  called Charlie

I came across it as a chick which must have fallen out of the nest on the Howth road near the Nuns Walk.I was on my way to the shops with a few taylor keith and club organge empties,You could get 3d or 4d of the empties.Anyway there were a couple of lads chasing the chick trying to catch it.I traded the empties with them for the magpie.I brought it home and stared to feed it with chopped up maggots and bread and scraps.

I put it an organge box and eventually released it when he got older.I named him Charlie and he would fly off the roofs and land on my arm when I called him by Name.We went on a caravan holiday that year and when I came back he was still hanging around. Eventually he found a mate and  I didn't see him anymore.

-------------

Date Posted: 30-December-2010 at 12:17
That's magpies for ya. Once they find a chick to cook their chopped up
maggots it's Adios!

My wife is very superstitious about the "one for sorrow" thing when it comes
to magpies. We had fourteen budgies last year. It started with only one
"Feathers" until we got him a mate. I didn't realize they bred in captivity but
we had eggs hatching all over the place. because he was the first, Feathers
was a real talker spoke in sentences, he could recite Shakespeare with an
irish accent. The wife would let him free in the back garden and he always
came back. One day they all escaped and that was the end of him. Very sad.

Date Posted: 30-December-2010 at 12:20
Here's a pic of Feathers and Sylvester...Feathers liked to live on the edge.

Date Posted: 30-December-2010 at 12:24

Probably native birds attacked them.

Do you remember Jackos pet shop in Dublin City.

They had a Mynah bird called Jacko.He would often say feck off to the Customers

-------------

Date Posted: 30-December-2010 at 12:25

Here's a pic of Feathers and Sylvester...Feathers liked to live on the edge.

Great picture Pogue

he is cetainly brave

-------------

Date Posted: 30-December-2010 at 12:31

They had a Mynah bird called Jacko.He would often say feck off to the
Customers

I remember it well "Uncle Georges". They had a couple of parrots as well, not
nearly on the level of Jacko, and a big tank of goldfish.

Date Posted: 30-December-2010 at 13:03

That's It Uncle Georges Pet shop I couldn't remember name of it.

and a big grey parrot and a semi circle gold fish tank.I think most people just went in to have a look around it. It was like a mini Zoo.

It's well gone now and so is the poultry shop near by I think it was called Gearathy's or something like that.It had egss from the floor to the ceiling and a sign saying" Nice to handle nice to hold if you drop one consider it sold or words to that effect 

-------------

Date Posted: 30-December-2010 at 13:27

A wood cock was seen in a Garden in Raheny on the 26th of December.

They are a game bird and appeared on the 1/4 farthing.

Brendan might rememeber having one to spend

I remember the farthing very well. You could actually buy something for a farthing back then...LOL

I even still have a few that I saved along with all the old Irish coins.

-------------
BrendanFella

Date Posted: 30-December-2010 at 13:34
Brendan still has all his communion money.

Date Posted: 30-December-2010 at 15:07

Brendan still has all his communion money.

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 30-December-2010 at 15:14
I remember Jacko's famous line was "My name's Jacko, Whats yours?"

"Pogue"

"My name's Jacko, Whats yours?"

"Pogue"

"eh...Pogue"

"eh...shut the f**k up Jacko"

Posted By: Evangeline
Date Posted: 31-December-2010 at 10:37

They had a Mynah bird called Jacko.He would often say
feck off to the Customers

Stenson's Pet Shop up in Coolock Village used to have a
Mynah bird called Fred. He used to say 'Hello Fred' over
and over. I think it's cos the kids drove him mad saying
hello to him repeatedly.

My great aunt and uncle used to have a budgie that swore
colourfully. I think my uncle taught him just to annoy my
aunt!   

Jen /^o^\

-------------
"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"

Date Posted: 04-January-2011 at 01:37

Pics from BrendanFellas backyard.
Now don't ask why I don't care about the grass....LOL

Bluejay, Cardinal, Oriole

These same deer walk thru my yard every day.
Saw them yesterday, more greyish in color now and bigger.
One of them has his antlers...

OOPS!, forgot the chipmunk and raccoon family and some other thing I can't figure out what it is. 

-------------
BrendanFella

Date Posted: 04-January-2011 at 11:22

Great stuff Brendan - lovely to have so much wildlife in your garden.

Date Posted: 04-January-2011 at 19:54
Not exactly from my childhood, but a great little story I heard recently
from a Primary School teacher...........

Anyway, she's in the class talking about nature and stuff and asks the kids
to write all that they know about the little bird called the Swallow.

Two little boys sitting beside each other, the class genius and the class
dunce start their essays.

The genius starts as follows:
" The Swallow is a small migratory bird from Northern Africa. They travel
in flocks to Ireland during the summer months, building their nests on the
underside of gutters and under the eaves and fascia boards of houses.
They are quite small,black and white in plumage with a long forked
tail............................

The dunce ( trying to copy the genius ) starts:

" The swallow is a small migratory bird from Northern Africa...........

At this stage, the genius spots that his work is being copied and covers
his book with his arm.

The dunce (perplexed and confused with not a clue what to write next )
continues..............

" He do have a roundy head "

...Ah, ya probably had to be there .

Date Posted: 05-January-2011 at 10:20

Wow Brendan! That's some amazing wildlife on your backdoor step!

Do you live by a wood or something?

-------------

Date Posted: 05-January-2011 at 15:23
Originally posted by BrendanFella BrendanFella wrote:

[/P
]

These same deer walk thru my yard every day. Saw them yesterday,
more greyish in color now and bigger. One of them has his antlers...

OOPS!, forgot the chipmunk and raccoon family and some other thing
I can't figure out what it is. 

I think it's called a rabbit Brendan   

Date Posted: 05-January-2011 at 16:01
I got the rabbit in my pic....get yer glasses checked.

-------------
BrendanFella

Date Posted: 06-January-2011 at 11:48
I bet you own a rifle Brendan?

Date Posted: 06-January-2011 at 12:58

Yes I do Pogue, so be careful what you say...

June, There is a woods behind my house and the Metroparks are pretty close. But if the deer are coming from the Metroparks they have to cross a main street....amazing the same five are still around.

-------------
BrendanFella

Date Posted: 08-January-2011 at 19:16
I bet the animal you are trying to think of is a possum (oppossum). They are
ugly, scrawney, lanky looking things with Marty Feldman eyes.

eh Hold on!...that's you in the photo

Date Posted: 14-January-2011 at 11:31

I will bird watching on bull Island on Sunday.I will let you know what I observed

-------------

Posted By: irish_mammy
Date Posted: 14-January-2011 at 17:10
The only birds you'll see there are the ones snogging with their fellas  

-------------
Lesley

25th June - 25th July. Get organising my nights out. Child can stay in the car.

Grove 1980-1984

Date Posted: 15-January-2011 at 08:39
 mind you I had the odd snog down there myself

On Dollymount Strand on a cold winter's night
I put on the hand brake and switched out the light
I looked at me Mot and said, "Aye, are you right?"
Meself and the architect's daughter

-------------

Date Posted: 15-January-2011 at 17:30
There was an old wildlife RTE show way back. A priest I think it was, who
drew pictures of birds and the like. A lot of it was shot around Dollymount
beach (nature reserve) I remember the guy was a very good artist. Once I
was in a big hole in the dunes trying my luck with a girl and as I was getting
close this big hare about the size of a cow came across the hole like a bullet
and ruined my chances. (You have to be really fast drawing those things)    

-Was it Radharc?

Date Posted: 16-January-2011 at 14:58
 I think you might be right ..re Radhrac.There was a programme presented by Eamonn De Builtlear It had an Irish title .....something faoin speir I think it was called 
I was down on the causeway  this morningl Nothing much  to report except a few brent Geese some with yellow and red rings.Must check that out

-------------

Date Posted: 16-January-2011 at 15:02

General information on the colour-rings in use for Dark-bellied Brent Geese (Euring-code 1681).

All birds have been ringed with one colour-ring (of about 1 inch high) on each leg. In some cases only one colour-ring has been used, but then a small metal ring has been put on the other leg. These colour-rings bear contrasting inscriptions in either black or white, depending on the background-colour used. These inscriptions are either letters or digits repeated three times around the ring for easy identification. Also rings with one, two or three horizontal bars have been used. In some cases we have used double digit inscriptions, also repeated three times around the ring.

The colour used, are: light-blue or light-green (lime), white, yellow, orange, red, dark-blue or dark-green. To maximize contrast with the background colour either white or black inscriptions have been used. Note that in dark- blue rings the white of the inscriptions is often so conspicuous that some observers take these rings for white rings, because the ring itself is hardly visible against the black leg. For ring colour we always refer to the background-colour of the ring itself. A limited number of plain colour-rings without inscription has been used in the 1970-s.

Using powerful telescopes (40 – 60 x magnification) allows the inscriptions to be identified at 200 – 300 metres distance. Some telescopes distort the colours when used at full magnification. We therefore recommend to check for the colour of the ring at lower magnification. In the remark field you can also add information as to the colour of the inscription itself (either white or black) as this may help us to identify the bird you have seen. E.g orange rings invariably bear black inscriptions, whereas red rings always bear white inscriptions.

At present the following colours are in use:

• yellow with black inscriptions or without inscription (notated as Y)
  • white with black inscriptions or without inscription (notated as W)
  • pale green (lime) with black inscriptions (notated as L)
  • dark green without inscription (notated as G)
  • pale blue with black inscription (notated as B)
  • pale blue with white inscription (notated as B)
  • dark blue without inscription (notated as B)
  • dark blue (almost black) with white inscriptions (notated as B)
  • orange with black inscriptions (notated as O)
  • red without inscription or with white inscriptions (notated as R)
  • much smaller metal rings (notated as *)
  • black with white inscription (notated as N)

Brent Goose OYR9 (left orange Y; right red 9)
accompanied by young bird (Tim Crawshaw)

Notation of ring combinations:

It is important to note which ring is on the left and which is on the right leg.

In the code identifying a bird we use a four-symbol-code. The first one indicates the colour of the left ring, the second one the inscription engraved on the left ring, the third symbol indicates the colour of the right ring and finally the fourth indicates the inscription on that right ring. Some examples:

• ‘W8YH’ means a white ring with 888 on it on the left leg, and a yellow one with HHH on it, on the right leg;
  • ‘R Y5’ is a bird carrying a red ring without inscription (note the space on the second position!) on the left leg and a yellow ring with 555 on it on the right;
  • ‘OJ*’ means an orange ring with JJJ on it on the left leg and a small metal ring on the right.
  • Some birds have been marked with a colour-ring bearing a double inscription, e.g. ‘F2’ of ‘AY’: on one ring and a metal ring on the other leg. These are, in case yellow rings have been used, indicated by ‘YF 2’ (note the space on the third position!) and ‘YA Y’ respectively;
  • YZY= : means a bird with a yellow ring with three horizontal bars (triple bar) on the left leg, and a yellow ring with two horizontal bars (double bar) on its right leg
  • WAY- : left a white ring with a black A, and right a yellow ring with one black horizontal bar (single bar)
  • We have always used one ring one each leg, but a few birds have lost one ring, so please check very carefully for an inconspicuous metal ring on the other leg in case you see a bird with just one colour-ring.

Black neckbands used on Brent

Since 1985 Brent Geese staging in spring on Langenwerder Insel near Rostock in the former German Democratic Republic have also been marked with black neck-collars bearing a white three- digit code, or a letter with two digits next to it.

Notation HA39 : Black neckband(H) with inscription A39 (Note: The standard way in which we code black neckbands as used on Greater White-fronted Geese will in the future also be used for Brent)

Only fully identified birds are of interest to us.

-------------

Posted By: Rolo
Date Posted: 17-January-2011 at 12:43

mind you I had the odd snog down there myself

On Dollymount Strand on a cold winter's night
I put on the hand brake and switched out the light
I looked at me Mot and said, "Aye, are you right?"
Meself and the architect's daughter

Oh the sea,oh the sea,well it crept up on me...........

Date Posted: 17-January-2011 at 12:45

Hey Ger, just on the Brent Geese..................next time you see Uncle Arthur ask him to tell you the story about his encounter with one of them .

We would be well used to seeing them in the Golf Club each winter.

Posted By: DAYO
Date Posted: 17-January-2011 at 13:58
Originally posted by Rolo Rolo wrote:

Hey Ger, just on the Brent Geese..................next time you see Uncle Arthur ask him to tell you the story about his encounter with one of them .

I take it you have a few thousand back there at the moment. There are loads of then out in Balcarrick right now sh*tting all over the fairways, Would'nt you thing they would wipe their arses like everybody else.

Whats this about Arty.

-------------
Dayo

Grov'in 70 - 76

Date Posted: 17-January-2011 at 16:59
Originally posted by DAYO DAYO wrote:

I take it you have a few thousand back there at the moment. There are loads of then out in Balcarrick right now sh*tting all over the fairways, Would'nt you thing they would wipe their arses like everybody else.

Whats this about Arty.

They are becoming a bit of the problem Each year to seem to go futher inland in search of feeding areas. Especially when they arrive they are stavring and need to take in large amounts of eel grass.

There is a shortage of it on Bull island. I have seen football pitches bare after their feeding.But their droppings act as good fertilizer so all is not bad

I remember back in the 70s when St Annes was a nine hole Course they were confined to the marsh feeding area.But the population has increased each year.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-January-2011 at 17:08

That's why Arty was out with his 3 Wood.Unfortunately,despite his best efforts he only managed to kill one.

Probably 'cos they were all in the middle of the fairway.

Date Posted: 17-January-2011 at 17:12
Do you get a free drop(excuse the pun) if your ball lands beside one of the droppings

-------------

Date Posted: 17-January-2011 at 19:24

That's why Arty was out with his 3
Wood.Unfortunately,despite his best efforts he only managed to kill one.

Probably 'cos they were all in the middle of the
fairway.

That wouldn't be a problem to me. My ball seldom lands in the fairway.

Date Posted: 18-January-2011 at 13:57
< name=quiz>

QUIZ: BIRDS

1. The study of birds is called:
< value=ichthyology = name=q1>ichthyology
< value=herpetology = name=q1>herpetology
< value=ornithology = name=q1>ornithology
< value=aviology = name=q1>aviology

2. Birds have a ____ heart with _____ circulation.
< value="3 chambered, double loop" = name=q2>3 chambered, double loop
< value="4 chambered, double loop" = name=q2>4 chambered, double loop
< value="3 chambered, single loop" = name=q2>3 chambered, single loop
< value="4 chambered, single loop" = name=q2>4 chambered, single loop

3. Birds belong to the phylum ___ and the class ___
< value="chor, aves" = name=q3>chordata, aves
< value="vertebrata, aves" = name=q3>vertebrata, aves
< value="chor, vertebrata" = name=q3>chordata, vertebrata
< value="aves, chor" = name=q3>aves, chordata

4. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of birds?
< value=feathers = name=q4>feathers
< value=furculum = name=q4> double-loop circulation
< value="hollow bones" = name=q4>hollow bones
< value=ectothermic = name=q4>ectothermic

5. Which of the following organs is NOT present in birds?
< value=crop = name=q5>crop
< value=cloaca = name=q5>cloaca
< value=intestine = name=q5>intestine
< value="urinary bladder" = name=q5>urinary bladder

6. The bird in the picture has legs adapted for:
< value=wading = name=q6> wading
< value=perching = name=q6> perching
< value=grasping = name=q6> grasping
< value=swimming = name=q6> swimming

7. The bird in the picture most likely eats:
< value="small mammals" = name=q7>small mammals
< value="fish " = name=q7>fish
< value=seeds = name=q7>seeds
< value=insects = name=q7>insects

8. Which of the following pairs is most closely related?
< value="hawks and ducks" = name=q8>hawks and ducks
< value="sparrows and hawks" = name=q8>sparrows and hawks
< value="pelicans and geese" = name=q8>pelicans and geese
< value="bluebirds and robins" = name=q8>bluebirds and robins

9. In birds, the crop leads to the:
< value=intestine = name=q9>intestine
< value=gizzard = name=q9>gizzard
< value=esophagus = name=q9>esophagus
< value="stomach " = name=q9> heart

10. The crop is responsible for:
< value="storing food " = name=q10>storing food
< value="grinding food" = name=q10>grinding food
< value="egg production " = name=q10>egg production
< value="breathing " = name=q10>breathing

< =getScore(this.) value="Get score" => < value=Clear =reset>

Score = < size=15 name=percentage>
Correct answers:
< wrap=virtual rows=4 cols=40 name=solutions>

I didn't get all them right only 80%

-------------

Date Posted: 18-January-2011 at 20:39
I dont know about you dondon. Just as you had me believing you like birds I
find out you are an expert on bird dogs.

Date Posted: 18-January-2011 at 22:12
 i can see the down loading of the quiz  didn't work apologies to all
I have been a keen bird watcher since my teens and still love to watch and observe them once a week on the causeway and howth

-------------

Date Posted: 19-January-2011 at 02:01
If birds drove cars and I shat on their windscreen do you think they would
like it?....NO THEY WOULD NOT!

Date Posted: 19-January-2011 at 10:33

Some new visitors to my garden this year. I've had up to 6 yellow hammers at a time and they are now daily visitors.

The Linnets started coming during the snow but have been back every day since.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-January-2011 at 10:39

There fab Photos,  keep them coming Unfortunately I dont know how upload pics from my camera.

Yellow hammers I haven't seen one around Raheny for years.Plenty of linnets on the bull and the odd red pole mixes in

-------------

Date Posted: 20-January-2011 at 19:48
When I was a kid we had a few canaries and two goldfinches. Supposedly in
my dad's time there were 24 birds in cages along the wall; a mix between
wild and domestic birds. Story was he caught the finches with a shoebox and
a string. There was all kinds of neat stuff around the house like cuttlefish
and decoy stone eggs of different colors, shapes and sizes, swings and
mirrors.
I remember the birds but not sure if the stories surrounding them are true.
He died on a building site when I was 3. A wall fell on top of him. Not sure if
he built it himself.

Date Posted: 20-January-2011 at 21:02
lovely stuff pougue

-------------

Date Posted: 21-January-2011 at 11:10

There fab Photos,  keep them coming Unfortunately I dont know how upload pics from my camera.

Yellow hammers I haven't seen one around Raheny for years.Plenty of linnets on the bull and the odd red pole mixes in

You just need to post yoru photos somewhere public on the net like Picasa/Flickr/Photobucket and then use the "tree" icon when posting to add image and paste in the URL. I also tend to reduce resolution of photo to keep file size small. That way they load quicker.

I hope that helps.

9 linnets after I posted that photo the other day and 7 yellowhammers, the word is spreading where the free food is. TG I buy birdseed by the sack!

Also spotted a female blackcap, my first this winter and my first ever tree sparrow...I even got a photo of him!

-------------

Date Posted: 21-January-2011 at 11:35

That's great news,You know that black caps are now overwintering here They are lovely to listen to.

I will try your advice.My lovely Daughter bought me a Kodak easy share M530 for Xmas.But I am of a tecnially challenged chap.So I am eager to take some photos of wildlife and post them on the site

-------------

Date Posted: 21-January-2011 at 14:35
I took this picture in my back garden this morning. This is the eighth time he
visited and I'm expecting to see him about another sixteen times.

Date Posted: 21-January-2011 at 15:10

Well this yoke will scare him off

-------------

Posted By: Polly
Date Posted: 21-January-2011 at 15:26
Dondon..wonder if you can shed any light on this: Dave has
put out some seeds and a fat ball to attract birds to the
garden ...it's worked to a point but they have completely
igonored the fat ball for some reason. When we lived in
Donabate it was the opposite...the fat balls disappeared
at a rate of knots. Is it something to do with the type of
birds in the area...or are they just fussy in St Annes :)

-------------
Faith is the bird that feels the dawn coming and still sings even when it's dark

Date Posted: 21-January-2011 at 15:48

Hi Polly, I take it it's the small suet balls.I have a few of them and like you the birds seem to ignore them unless there is nothing else.

The reason could be allthough I am no expert.Is that when they feed on the balls they can spend a bit of time trying to extract the seeds.

That puts them in a perilous situation at times from sparrow hawks and magpies.You probably have noticed that if you put out whole peanuts ,they tend to grab one ..and off with them to eat it in a bush or tree.

That's my take on it.But fair play to you for feeding them .The important thing to remember also if you are putting out bread, is to soak it first.Then it won't swell up in their stomachs. It's also worthwhile to try and identify the species

I live in St Annes as well  right beside the trees on all saints Road  which are a mecca for  Sparrow hawks.I  had a few incidents over the years of hawks taking small birds at feeding tables

Gerry

-------------

Date Posted: 21-January-2011 at 17:00
Thanks for that Gerry...I was just telling Dave and what
you are saying makes sense. There are a lot of Magpies
around here, and I do notice that the small birds grab a
seed or a nut and head off, I never thought of why!!
The fat balls Dave made in Donabate were in a coconut
shell and more "rustic" than the one here in the
garden so it must have been easier to get the nuts etc
out of the other fat balls.
The birds we have seen are Blue Tits, Great Tits and Long
Tail Tits, one Goldfinch, one Chaffinch, Starlings,
Magpies
and thats about it. Hopefully in the Spring/Summer things
will improve, Dave does Wildlife Photography and is keen
to get some good shots (check out
davemcmanusphotography.com)
Thanks again for the info Aideen

-------------
Faith is the bird that feels the dawn coming and still sings even when it's dark

Date Posted: 22-January-2011 at 01:49

Originally posted by Polly Polly wrote:

Dondon..wonder if you can shed any light on this: Dave has
put out some seeds and a fat ball to attract birds to the
garden ...it's worked to a point but they have completely
igonored the fat ball
for some reason.

Polly, try some SKINNY BALLS,
preferably from a bull.

-------------
BrendanFella

Date Posted: 22-January-2011 at 11:16
Ha Ha Brendan...maybe I would attract a Bullfinch
in that case

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net