Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Soccer - Who do you support?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 304>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2006 at 08:36

Just for all you Raheny Natives out there.

RAHENY 2-6 NA FIANNA 0-7

Two goals in quick succession by Colm Donegan at the midpoint of the opening half ensured Raheny of victory in Tuesday night's Dublin SFC first round clash at Parnell Park.

The first came from the penalty spot after the energetic Darragh Pelly was upended and Donegan wrong-footed Na Fianna goalkeeper Cian Kelleher who was making his senior championship debut.

Two minutes later in the 15th minute a harmless looking Ciaran Whelan centre was steered to the net with great opportunism by Donegan to help his side to a 2-3 to 0-2 half-time lead.

Na Fianna's lot was not helped by the loss of Dessie Farrell after just seven minutes (hamstring) as they lacked a target man in the inside line and resultingly failed to turn possession in the middle of the park into scoring opportunities up front.

With the wind at their backs in the second half and having made introduced some of their 'big guns' Na Fianna cut into the deficit with three points in the opening five minutes of the second half.

Dublin senior hurler Tommo Brady was carrying the fight to Raheny and his long run when he powered through the defence led to the opening score of the half from Michael Colleran.

But Donegan broke the Na Fianna chain of scores with a point from play and depite Brendan Colleran responding with a free the influential David Henry fired over an excellent point from the left wing to protect his side's lead.

Raheny progress to meet Ballinteer St John's in the second round while Na Fianna must take their chances in the backdoor against Clontarf.

SCORERS - Raheny: C Donegan 2-2 (1-0 pen, 0-1f), J Keogh, D Ryan, D Henry, D Pelly 0-1 each. Na Fianna: B Colleran 0-3 (0-1f), M Colleran 0-2, J Sherlock, R O'Hagan 0-1 each.
RAHENY - J O'Donoghue; P McCabe, B Keane, S Harkin; G Bennett, C Murphy, N Sullivan; D Henry, D Ryan; D Browne, J Copeland, C Whelan; C Donegan, D Pelly, J Keogh. Subs: C Brady for Copeland, K Flynn for Keogh.
NA FIANNA - C Kelleher; E Rutledge, A Downes, T Lynch; R O'Hagan, S McGlinchey, R Houlihan; D Mackin, J McGuirk; T Brady, M Colleran, N Cooper; B Colleran, D Farrell, B Courtney. Subs: J Sherlock for Farrell, K McGeeney for Mackin, J McNulty for McGlinchey, E McNulty for Rutledge, K O'Neill for Downes.

Sponsored Links

Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2006 at 09:49

Yeh  I love to see them playing sport as well keeps them off the streets.

We moved from Beaumont couuple of years ago to Blanachardstown so Liam played for Pheonix last year in the Park supposed to be the oldest club in Ireland.

In fact his manager was playing for Ireland against Hampshire in Clontarf on Sunday caught it on sky sports would have gone if known it was on.

Liam is quite keen top play this year but has JC so will have to wait until its over heads down at moment.

Blondie
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it !
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2006 at 10:03

That's a good one.

Have been to Phoenix many times with my fella ( and as a kid when I played, though I tend to keep that fact to myself ).

Caught some of it on Sky on Sunday, much better than that oul rugby, there's two Clontarf players on the team. Who is the Phoenix player, can't remember the full team ?

Rolo.

Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2006 at 10:38

David Langton Smith ??? think thats right went in number 10 to bat and opened the bowling. Got knocked about a bit by Hampshire.

We had rugby on one TV and cricket on other . We sat out ingarden well Liam called out updates on scores etc

Who did you play for ?? Bat or Bowl ??

All rounder I reckon

Blondie
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2006 at 11:19

Yeah, bit of both....................and badly may I say.

Clontarf from U 13 to U 15. Jacked it in then as the whole thing got a bit clicky ( cliquey ). Unless you were from Seafield/ Stiles/ Kincora/ Vernon or Blackheath it was difficult to make an impression.

Langton Smith is the Aussie guy I think, just qualified to play for Ireland recently. He seemed to make a good start, swinging it out and cutting it back,but once Crawley and Pothas got the measure of him that was it.

Do I detect more than a passing interest in the game ?

Rolo.

Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2006 at 11:44

Yeh just a bit . Liam's Dad played quite a bit, all rounder played for college team  just missed out on county playing .

So it was a case of get involved or become a cricket widow so I chose the former.

Have to say lovely way to spend sunny saturday sitting watching match  used to  love listening to test match on the radio as well highly entertaining.

Liam only started playing over here couple of years ago so try to go see his matches now his batting is not great but not a bad swing bowler when he concentrates

Blondie
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2006 at 12:28

That's deadly. Did he ever play over here ? And did you play ?

My dad's cousin in London made it to Essex Seconds but never all the way to the firsts.

Test Match Special, have to say you're the only girl I've ever heard of that has ever listened to Johners,Aggers, Bloers and Co.It's almost better than watching it on the Telly 'cos they're so amusing and entertaining in their commentary.

Rolo.

Biker Pat View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2006 at 13:56

Congrats to Arsenal !!

They'll never get a better chance to win the Champions League.

May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2006 at 04:38

Could'nt agree more Rolo best way to watch was TV on with sound turned down and radio on for commentry loved listening to them talk and ramble on about everything and anything including thanking people for cakes etc that they had sent in

Me play never  well only in the park with Nige practising his bowling and giving me concussion  Love sport was brought up on it but I am and always have been spectator not participant.

Nigel got a try out for Hampshire but basically was'nt commited / focused enough to carry on it really does take over your life and he had other interests to pursue ( Me of course)

Do miss it though so glad when Liam started.

Thanks Pat have to agree have a good chance anyones game now it will all depend on which Arsenal team turns up on the night. The one that can play great football or the one that cant !!

Blondie
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2006 at 14:38
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2006 at 15:49

What a shower of Chickens !

Rolo.

Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2006 at 04:43

Great picture though !!!!

Blondie
Black Russian View Drop Down
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2006 at 06:35
Great facial expression on the guy to the right...

Good Ball and goal protection picture

Ok Arsenal are through to the Champion League and Boro are through to the UEFA I have got that part.
I understand why Arsenal is in the Champion league cause they finished in the top 4 of the Priemiership
But how do teams get into UEFA ???? I am trying to learn this stuff so I ca join in
Will Leeds get promoted cause they are in the top 4 of the 1st Div or do they have to play off for that

Edited by Black Russian
"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2006 at 07:03

Hi Black Russian,

It's like this.

UEFA Cup participants can be made up as follows. Fifth and sixth in the Premiership and winners of the Carling Cup and The FA Cup. Now, if the winners of the FA Cup or Carling Cup qualify for Champions league or UEFA Cup by virtue of their league position, runners up ie losing finalists qualify, hence West Ham guaranteed UEFA Cup, win or lose in FA Cup final.

In the Championship, top two automatically promoted 3rd to 6th play off for one remaining place.

That any clearer ?

Noodles.

Black Russian View Drop Down
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2006 at 07:11
Yeah 
But what if Liverpool and Westham are both qualify for the Champions league does it go to the Semi finalist....

I think I stick to my Formula 1

P
"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 04:51

Nah Peter F1 is sooooo boring footie much better

Blondie
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 14:53
With the World Cup coming up I think the lady folk might want to read these rules

These rules are to be communicated prior to the World Cup in June/July this year...

LIST OF RULES

1. From 9 June to 9 July 2006, you should read the sports section of the newspaper so that you are aware of what is going on regarding the World Cup, and that way you will be able to join in the conversations. If you fail to do this, then you will be looked at in a bad way, or you will be totally ignored. DO NOT complain about not receiving any attention.

2. During the World Cup, the television is mine, at all times, without any exceptions. If you even take a glimpse of the remote control, you will lose it (your eye).

3. If you have to pass by in front of the TV during a game, I don't mind, as long as you do it crawling on the floor and without distracting me. If you decide to stand nude in front of the TV, make sure you put clothes on right after because if you catch a cold, I wont have time to take you to the doctor or look after you during the World Cup month.

4. During the games I will be blind, deaf and mute, unless I require a refill of my drink or something to eat. You are out of your mind if you expect me to listen to you, open the door, answer the telephone, or pick up the baby that just fell from the second floor....it wont happen.

5. It would be a good idea for you to keep at least 2 six packs in the fridge at all times, as well as plenty of things to nibble on, and please do not make any funny faces to my friends when they come over to watch the games. In return, you will be allowed to use the TV between 12am and 6am, unless they replay a good game that I missed during the day.

6. Please, please, please!! if you see me upset because one of my teams is losing, DO NOT say "get over it, its only a game", or "don't worry, they'll win next time". If you say these things, you will only make me angrier and I will love you less. Remember, you will never ever know more about football than me and your so called "words of encouragement" will  only lead to a break up or divorce.

7. You are welcome to sit with me to watch one game and you can talk to me during halftime but only when the commercials are on, and only if the halftime score is pleasing me. In addition, please note I am saying "one"game, hence do not use the World Cup as a nice cheesy excuse to "spend time together".

8. The replays of the goals are very important. I don't care if I have seen them or I haven't seen them, I want to see them again. Many times.

9. Tell your friends NOT to have any babies, or any other child related parties or gatherings that requires my attendance because:

a) I will not go,

b) I will not go, and

c) I will not go.

10. But, if a friend of mine invites us to his house on a Sunday to watch a game and his television and sound system is better than mine, we will be there in a flash.

11. The daily World Cup highlights show on TV every night is just as important as the games themselves. Do not even think about saying "but you have already seen this...why don't you change the channel to something we can all watch??", the reply will be: "Refer to Rule #2 of this list".

12. And finally, please save your expressions such as "Thank God the World Cup is only every 4 years". I am immune to these words, because after this comes the Champions League, Italian League, Spanish League, Premier League, etc etc.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards,

Men of the World
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 15:45

Ah Pat look back a page I posted that - I know me place Pat...

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2006 at 04:32

Very good Pat enjoyed that  There are some of us females who will be watching too !!!

So wot happened to your lot at the weekend ??? Was expecting a great match and was disappointed dont think utd turned up to play at all. Am sure Rooney wishes he had'nt.

Blondie
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2006 at 07:27

Just on that Blondie,

What's the story with this metatarsal business. ?

Were they only invented when David " Golden Bol***ks " Beckham broke his toe and they had to find something more interesting to call it.

Do you recall any real footballers, John Giles, Billy Bremner, Liam Brady, Bobby Charlton or Kenny Dalglish ever suffering a broken metatarsal. Not likely.

The mind boggles smiley24smiley24 ?????????

Rolo.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 304>