The Grove Social Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Soccer - Who do you support?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 247248249250251 304>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2018 at 09:49
Well, gentlemen (I think it is just us gentlemen ): After a break of 17 months - no, wait, was it really only 2 days! - we have the football back. I am looking forward big-time to the upcoming matches, not going to declare (even to myself) for any team, just looking forward to the spectacle. Nothing else on the cards today so will ease myself gently in and be ready to rock the football !

And may the best teams win...
One of its legs is both the same
Sponsored Links

joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2018 at 10:15
Not a huge fan of football but have to say have enjoyed the last few games since it became a knockout ,,like you RR I don't have any favourites to win it ,,but England could do well Ouch,,there I said it
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2018 at 10:30
Lol Joey, agree with you re Engerland! It's gas, still have to be a bit careful what one says (I don't mean on this forum obv ) about our nearest neighbours. I was in the local butchers here in Stradbally yesterday, the lad works there a huge soccer fan, and a Man U supporter. I very mildly made the suggestion that England "might surprise everyone"!!! Jaysis, I thought he was going to slap me round the ears with a rump steak ... Anyway, main thing is we enjoy the spectacle, only every 4 years, so ... Enjoy
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2018 at 22:22
Delighted France and Belgium won.

Knocking out those cheating actors Uruguay and Brazil.
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2018 at 07:16
South Americans haven't covered themselves in glory this time round, that's for sure Pat.

If they would only just play their football they'd be the equal, or better, than most other teams.

Roll on today's games...
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2018 at 12:26
Is anyone else up for England? I actually like this England team.
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2018 at 12:40
I like the England team as well VJ - I like English people generally, with some exceptions - and I would be delighted to see them beat Sweden and move on. I am technically and historically a Spurs fan, so Harry Kane would be a person I admire ... So yeah, let's go England (now if they won the whole thing - ok, great for them - but you'd have to stay away from BBC, ITV etc sports programmes for years with the crowing but for today certainly, haway the (English) lads

My wife is a bigger soccer fan than I am, and a big Man U supporter, so as a gesture of support to her I would support Man U (and have been to Old Trafford a few, very enjoyable times), except v Spurs in important matches...
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2018 at 14:17
No problem with England either. Am a Man United fan and want to see United players doing well in the WC.
So England, France, and Belgium all fulfill that point.
Just hope it's a good game England v Sweden.

Tonight's game is also interesting, Russia v Croatia.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2018 at 14:40
Yeah BP, a good day's viewing. I am already hoping time goes slower cos there's not too many games left! A bit like reading a really good book, and you read less each day coming to the end cos you don't want it to finish!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2018 at 17:07
Well, looked easy for England, but my God. Sweden were wojus! But you can only play what's in front of you. Don't see Croatia, or Russia,being anything like as handy as that. Still, we'll see. Wasn't a great game really, might be competitive with Russia/Croatia later on...looking forward to it
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2018 at 19:50
Sweden were muck. How did they get to the quarter finals? Still, fair play to England. Into the semis. That Pickford chap looks like a fab keeper.
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2018 at 20:56
Agree te Sweden. sh*te.

Fair play to England though. They did the job.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2018 at 22:19
So, Croatia. Russia a bit unlucky going out on penalties. Still, someone had to. Croatia will be feeling the effects on Weds still. England jammy-ness continues. Anyway, we look forward ...
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2018 at 22:24
Croatia will give England a much sterner test than the useless Swedes. 

Having said that Pickford pulled off some great saves and will need to be in the same form against Croatia as they are pretty useful going forward.

Also Croatia's midfield is better than Englands. It will be close.

Remember too that Croatia were playing in front of the host nations supporters, no easy task.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2018 at 11:52
I agree Pat. Only for the possible weariness factor I wouldn't give England any chance against Croatia - Croatia simply have a majority of better players. But, it is a World Cup semi-final, and that fact alone should enable Croatia to shake off any residual tiredness. Will be an intriguing match. As will the other semi, vary hard to call ... Much as I like France, I wouldn't put it past Belgium and I assume any lingering dissent between players (Hazard/de Bruyne) - if there even was any - will be well put to bed for this.

Three mouth-watering games await ...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2018 at 14:35
Just discovered, first match of the new season Premiership is 10th August - Man U v Leicester, in Old Trafford. Not that far away really...

...so, there will be life after the World Cup
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2018 at 17:32
Friday night and it's on live on Sky Sports.
Looking forward to new season and as you say RR it's not that far away time wise.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2018 at 09:04
football is coming home Stern Smile
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2018 at 09:20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2018 at 08:54
France v Belgium - and the sun is still shining! Who would have thunk it

Hope this is a good game, with a few goals. Don't want a kinda chess match, but I doubt that will happen anyway ...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 247248249250251 304>