Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Soccer - Who do you support?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 245246247248249 304>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2018 at 21:33
And now Switzerland get a great draw against Brazil.

The fancied teams not getting their own way in the opening games. 
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Sponsored Links

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2018 at 18:38
With the squad Belgium have the should be among the favourites.
Interesting to see how England fare tonight. They have a decent squad of players as well.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2018 at 21:25
Missed the Belgium match but they won anyway ... Saw full England match. Apart from first 15 mins and last 2 minutes they seemed completely devoid of any ideas ... Sloppy passing, bad finishing. The team has plenty of good individual players, and they did
get the three points, but they need to get their act together fast, tonight's standard of play will see them out of the comp sooner rather than later ... Maybe this victory will settle them for the matches to come...
One of its legs is both the same
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2018 at 16:25
Just want to recognise RTE's wonderful coverage of the World Cup.

Also my compliments to all the commentators. They are really excellent.

Also the various panels who call it like it is.

But special praise must go to Brian Kerr. I love his co commentary, his football knowledge and some of his witty idioms.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2018 at 18:39
Brian Kerr is brilliant as you say - opinionated, knowledgeable, very witty; the other lads are good too - no duds anywhere on that team!
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2018 at 19:46
Iranian women not allowed attend football matches in their home country but they sure are represented at the World Cup in Russia.

And boy have they brought some beauty to the tournament

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2018 at 17:58
Mexico Mexico Mexico ... I like them!
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2018 at 13:19
Haven't watched as much of the World Cup as I would have liked but what I have seen has been great. Tongue
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2018 at 14:39
Yes, high standard of play generally. Likewise, haven't seen as much as I'd like, but I like what I've seen! Few dud matches but you'll get that with the numbers involved. Getting close to the real exciting stuff now ... Germany nearly went against Sweden, but that last-minute goal will have given them real heart - they can never be counted out..!
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2018 at 22:13
WARNING :

Lock up your dogs if you're in South Korea tonight, They beat Germany 2-0 and in so doing knocked Germany out of the World Cup. 

Party time there and dog meat high on the menu.

And also watch out for some sour Krauts knocking about. And not the ones you normally associate with red cabbage.

Oh and the good news is. Normal taxi services will resume in Dublin. Nigeria were also eliminated so our missing taxi drivers will all be back from Russia, probably loaded with Russian vodka in the taxi boots and selling Russian bitcoins to punters falling out of late bars and clubs.

I blame the heat on this post.

LOLLOLLOL

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2018 at 22:26
Lol - indeed BP. Never really expected Germany to go out at the group stage, although this seems to be the curse of all World Cup winners in recent years.

So - who's gonna win it? Not a clue, but it's been absorbing so far, hopefully the high standards of matches will continue or even get better ...
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2018 at 22:45
Hard to say RR,

My daft fancy is Senegal but it's a complete long shot. They got some decent players. No money down or anything.

I really don't mind as long as the football is entertaining.

I wish they had an open draw as this stage. Don't like the idea of teams knowing who they're going to be playing next depending on whether they finish first or second in the group stages.

It's been a great spectacle so far and fair play to the Russians. They have put on a great tournament and so far not heard much of the hooligan element that has plagued major tournaments in the past.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2018 at 23:07
Yep BP - I might leave you to it on the old Senegal fancy mind .

And yeah, I suspect there could be small bits of - manipulation is going too far - but if a team prefers to be second in the group cos they fancy the winners of another group that they will be playing rather than the second-placed team, that could subconsciously (or consciously!) affect the way they play. A bit round the houses there but you know what I mean...

...anyway, I'm looking forward with relish to the knock-out stages. Not going to pin my colours to any team's mast (but, hey, Mexico!!!), but will try to see and enjoy most if not all of the matches coming next...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2018 at 10:24
BP - regarding our love for Brian Kerr ... We are not the only ones. I'm only just now getting to read yesterday's (Friday) paper the Irish Times. In the sports supplement they have a whole page of Brian Kerr words and sayings he been using commentating on the World Cup. It's brilliant, if you can get your hands on it at all you'll really enjoy it.

France v Argentina - it's such an attractive prospect it's bound to disappoint - ah no, joking, it'll be brilliant. Heading off this afternoon to a barbecue in friend's house in Blanch, hope I don't miss the match (it's a funny thing, when you're single you have "mates"; when you're married they become "friends" - or is that just me )
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2018 at 11:14
RR,

Saw that article on Brian Kerr.

It was super and explaining his idioms to those not familiar with Irish sayings.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2018 at 11:35
I have Argentina in the sweepstakes at work and I get €100 if they win the World Cup - don't think they will though. All to play for at this stage though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2018 at 11:39
Ah, good luck so VJ.

Go, Argentina ...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2018 at 23:21
Unlucky VJ - 4-3 score line, must have been interesting to watch anyway. Saw no football tonight - but enjoyed the barbie immensely...tomorrow we move on.

Night all.
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2018 at 23:30
Two great games today.

France 4 Argentina 3

Uruguay 2 Portugal 1

I think both winners deserved their victories overall.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2018 at 12:17
Never really seen it with Cavani at all but he took his goals really well. The second one was a brilliant goal. I was at a 60th bash in a pub and spontaneously (as many others there did) applauded when that went in.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 245246247248249 304>