Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 31>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Movies
    Posted: 11-November-2005 at 09:14

What's your 5 favourite movies. Like me there's a lot more than 5 but lets keep it to 5.

Mine are

Easy Rider

The Quiet Man

Schlindler's List

Dances With Wolves

Bonnie and Clyde (1967 version with Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway)

Biker Pat

Edited by Biker Pat
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Sponsored Links

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2005 at 09:21

Memphis Belle

Driving Miss Daisy

Schlindler's List

Toy Story - have kids ya know yourself but love that

Monsters Inc. - again have kids, no giggles from the peanut gallery

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2005 at 09:25

Another great topic.

In no particular order

Deerhunter

Godfather

Schindler's List

Once upon a time in America

Tin Drum

Rolo

Edited by Rolo
Ann Whelan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann Whelan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2005 at 14:41

The Wedding Singer-Adam Sandler

Dangerous Liasons (Love the costumes!)

Dr.Zhivago-Keira Knightley version

Little Women (Sorry Boys..I KNOW that won't go down well!)

There's something about Mary-Cameron Diaz

Ann
xgrovehead View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 07:21

5 that come to mind immediately are

Alien and Aliens.

Grosse Pointe Blank

Magnolia

Peter Jacksons TLOTR Trilogy

Which is actually 7 but there you go, sums were never my strong point.

We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors, we have only borrowed it from our children.
-Ancient Proverb.
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 07:27

Hey xgrovehead,

Reckon LOTR only counts as one.

Were you a fan of the book going to see the movies having already decided that the movies could,under no circumstances possibly do it justice and were then gobsmacked ?  or... did you go along with no preconceived notions and enjoy them as just great adventure movies ?

Rolo.

Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 07:33
Big fan of the books, thought the movies would be a travesty and probably should never have been made. Went along to see the NZ scenery (big fan of NZ) thinking I'd be tut tutting my way through and was blown away.  Peter Jackson is a legend for making them the way he did.  Was lucky enough to see Two Towers in NZ and went to see a few of the locations including Hobbiton set.  The official movie exhibition was in Wellington when I was there too and that was amazing.  Unfortunately it never made it to Dublin closest was London I think.
We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors, we have only borrowed it from our children.
-Ancient Proverb.
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 07:49

Sounds fantastic, tell me this though, were you not disappointed that the Great Tom Bombadil did not make an appearance in the Fellowship?

For me,that was the only criticism,as I thought he was a great character.

Was also blown away,particularly with the battle scenes.

Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2005 at 12:59

I never liked Tom Bombadil........found him a bit boring to be honest. The elevated role given to Arwen bothered me slightly too, and I thought that Faramir wasn't as tempted by the ring as they made out in the film, however I'm probably being too nit picky.  Overall though very impressed, excellent casting and attention to detail.  THey wrote a computer program for the battle scenes and had all the different races programmed to fight in a particular style.  Massive I think it was called, anyway they discovered that at a certain point in the battle, when it was looking like one side was winning, the losing side would start running away!  And they hadn't programmed that into it!  Whats the story with filming the Hobbit?

Two more films for my list,

Cinema Paradiso

Theres Something About Mary.

-Ancient Proverb.
Lenny3fingers View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2005 at 11:45

mine would have to be:

fight club - totally great film once you know whats happenning

the 6 star wras (well count them as one)

the godfather part 1

platoon

convoy. you got your ears on good buddy (have it on both dvd and vhs.

scariest film ive ever seen was blair witch project. i dont normally get scared at films, but that one totally creeped me out

work. the curse of the drinking classes!

-----grover 90 - 96 ish------
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2005 at 11:52

Lenny,

Did you not think Full Metal Jacket was better than Platoon ?

Rolo.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2005 at 11:54
no - i did actually think platoon was a better film than full metal jacket. dunno why, i think the music in platoon has a lot to do with it (and the fact the fat kid in FMJ is called lenny. Tis unfair on lennys I tells yis!!)

tony99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 09:06

1. Goodfellas, 2. Midnight Cowboy, 3.Truly,Madly,Deeply, 4. The Sweet Hereafter. 5. Godfather 1 & 2 but not 3.

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2005 at 09:08

Hi Tony,

Well done for outing Biker Pat and his musical disasters.

We all thought he was so cool.

What's " The Sweet Hereafter " , don't know it at all.

Totally agree with you'bout Godfather 3 though.

Rolo.

tony99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2005 at 16:13
The Sweet Hereafter - A Canadian movie by Atom Egoyen about a schoolbus crash interspersed with  narration of different passages of "The Pied Piper of Hamelin". Sounds boring but I bet you'll be surprised and I guarantee you will remember it long after any of those awful Hollywood blockbusters.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2005 at 04:07

tony, i have to say i was prepared for a completely crap godfather 3, but i really enjoyed it. it wasnt as good as 1 or 2 but it wasnt far off imho.

went to see a film last night in the pictures, in her shoes. biggest load of rubbbish ever. Fell asleep and had a homer moment where i started snoring. woke up with an elbow in the ribs. dont think anyone in the audience minded tho, cos they thought the film was crap also.

saw harry potter on friday and it started slow but got much better all of a sudden! recomended.

altho hermione is very bloody annoying

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2006 at 11:58
Anybody go see the Johnny Cash movie...Walk The Line.

Everybody says its great but my problem is I have been watching and recording a lot of the documentaries on Johnny Cash that came out after his death and they show him in real life nad go through his life story.

So I'm finding it hard to go see someone else doing Johnny Cash as the real JC was such a character and his life story so brilliant that I'm not sure how a movie can capture the reality of what was Johnny Cash.

One of my biggest regrets in life is that I never saw him live.

Did you see the last video he made "Hurt". Christ, it's the more amazing piece of film I have ever seen.

I well up every time I watch it.

JC was one of the all time greats and he was one of the first artists I ever listened to.

May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
87-92 (I think)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2006 at 13:50
Any Monty Python, esp Life of Brian
Ronin
erm, Im stuck

Sharon View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2006 at 14:21

Biker

My mam and dad really into JC so we heard alot of him as we were growing up..I havent seen the movie yet but the folks went they said it was good but wasnt as good as they were lead to believe they wished it showed him later in life aswell

My folks seen him live a few times last time they saw him was in the National boxing arena and they said he was helped onto the stage he was so sick/old they reckoned he wouldnt be as good as he use to be but yet they said he still had it and he was fab

Must admit i did buy his Cd at xmas time for the dad and burnt a copy for myself and i enjoy listening to it I think my 1st memory of listening to JC is around the early 70s my folks got a new stereo and the Dad proudly putting on a record god knows which one but i recall it being recorded in a prison( folsom perhaps?) and hearing all the inmates roar when he broke into another song....must look into that

The Man in Black...will always be remembered.... a legend

Shar

Oh best movie hmmm  70s has to be saturday night fever and i did like the rocky Horror picture show a 70s movie but didnt get into it till the 80s

80s lost boys, Top gun,nightmare on elmstreet,the blues brother..I should mention the elephant man seeing as it was my 1st movie i went to with the hubby..lol well boyfriend then

90s  The sixth sense.goodfellas,schindlers list,the Shawshank Redemption.....think that was the best of all

Titanic has to get a mention but not my fav

jeez i think im waffling a bit there must really sort out my 5 top fav films of all time..will post it when i have a good think...lol

Shar

All I wanted was chips!!
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2006 at 05:23

Think mine would have to be

Legends of the Fall (for Brad of course)

Empire Strikes Back

Shawshank

Heat

Toy story

but would also like to have all LOTR's as well

agree with Shar its really hard to do top five if I did this on another day would prob have slightly different list

Blondie
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 31>