Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 31>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2006 at 08:58

Ann after reading your post I feel you have already seen the movie as you depict it to a tee.  It's a great movie from the perspective of how it was made but it's grueling to say the least.

I've said it before and I'll say it again it's so nice to read your stuff you paint a great picture and bring a different angle to the site.  It's very refreshing I must say.

Wondering how your doing on your kids books - can't remember but thought you did or were going to publish some.  You must keep us posted.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
Sponsored Links

Ann Whelan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann Whelan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2006 at 09:48
Sorry for not being in touch everyone but have had a very busy couple of weeks here in tropicana.

We had to do an ER trip  to the hospital as my little Millie was covered in a rash from head to toe and it was all blistering and totally infected. She had a fever & lost lots of weight and as she is x-ray thin I was a bit flustered a la carte as we in de trade say. Andres & Veacha were itching and coming out in sores. Verdict; Millie was post viral infection..... she had a very weak immunize system and so things attack her very harshly and severely, Veacha had impetigo/contagious, Andres had eczema and something else. Veacha had pox virus also on her torso, delightful, scabs on & up her nose and a crack on her 'crack' (split of her derriere....... thought I'd crack up laughing everytime the doctor ever so delicately referred to her 'crack'. Andres had two cracks on his winkle area and was not bashful at all about showing them with pride to anyone who cared to have a look and view it. My throat was killing me for the past three weeks prior so as we were there I asked her to peep at it and see if I needed a mouth wash. It came to pass that I was the victim of follicles on my throat whatever they are and it was highly infected. Millie, Andres & I were all sent for a host of blood tests while we were there and then our 4 bags of medical supplies, plus blood tests cost over EC$5000 and that did not include doctors fees of 500.... you certainly would not want to be poor. They each had to be washed in special, soaps, shampoos, and creams and lotions applied to their skin, plus oral medicines. I felt like I was the chief nurse on duty at  ER for two weeks as I attended to each one after another. Andres & Veacha loved it as I would ask who was next on the conveyer belt for medial treatment, and they all lined up in convulsions. When I finished doing Andres I said to Veacha that I was going to do her next so after she was washed, dried & ironed, I applied her creams and then had to attend to her nose and crack areas. Andres has gone like a mini adult at giving instructions and commands so I have to try to put him in his place at times. He was standing next to me like Judas Iscariot gone wrong on crack when I nonchalantly asked Veacha to turn over having applied the said cream to her nasal plugs. As I was putting some of the cream out and mixing it for her other regions I heard Judas beside me say and I quote "Veacha, pull down your knickers so mommy can attend to your crack!" When he said that I just thought, is this what it is all coming too..."cracks"!!! The bit that made it even more amusing was that if you could only see the knickers that she was wearing ..... immaculate non practical snow white, with lairs of white frilly lace and a white satin bow in the middle ...... they were so pretty and dainty that they were the last thing you'd associate with a said 'crack'! They got more joy out of the medical treatment they were receiving than anything else. Andres told Veacha that she was contagious and that she could not go to school or near anyone as she would spread. Once it was not her legs she was spreading, as that is every mothers nightmare....I did not mind!!! When we were in the doctors office Andres took up the stethoscope and checked to see if he had a heart beat. I asked him if he could hear it and he answered in the affirmative so I informed him that he must still be alive so. He said "I'm sure you are relieved to hear that mum!" I said that I was and that it was a weight of my mind! He then put it up to his head to see if he could hear any brain movement or activity. When I asked him if he could hear anything there, he replied "No!". I said "Just what I suspected!!!!" The doctor must have thought we were all appropriately enough all 'cracked' in de head and I was surprised that she did not send us down to the lab for a catscan each.

Hayley Bop (my cavalier king charles dog) was also recieving medical treatment and did a week in long stunt in de vets to have her ears attended to. Dr. Scotland will had to attend to her ears as they were highly infected and sore. She is a bit on the deaf side at the best of times so I have to do the best I can to protect my little furry friends earlobes. I had her all wrapped up nicely in the car the day she was departing from the homestead to go on vacarion to Dr. Scotlands and I told her that she was just going off for some cosmetic surgery and that I'd get her a portion of Kentucky Fried Chicken Breasts (no bones about it!) for her home coming. I called the vets surgery to make sure that she was ok .....I'm sure they dread me there as I call several times a day to make sure that my canines are ok when they are there. I was informed she had made friends with a little dog in the cage next to her and that they had rubbed noses together. I said "I hope that's all they rub together and that she does not come home pregnant". The phone was slammed down on me!!!! Wuff, wuff....life in de Tropics. She is home now and sitting in my office here beside enjoying the life of a pampered pouch in Paradise.

I also have joined the ranks of a motorist as I embarked in the Andy's School of motoring and begun classes last Monday morning. I am doing classes 7 days a week, one and a half hours week days & three hours if I like on w/es'. The guy teaching me is much more pleasant and friendly than my privious teacher Pab Smears was. Indeed after he collected me at chez moi he drove the car out of the drive and down the road and I had to tell him that he had not executed the "Cockpit Drill"  as he was driving without his seatbelt on and he never looked in the mirror once. He seemed to find this utterly hilarious but as I said to him, "If I was doing your driving test, you would have lost brownie points for stunts like that!!!" Last Tuesday morning he had me working on de clutch and changing gears without taking my eyes off the road, so he told me to go into 1st gear without looking down. I put my hand out, grabed his knee and tried to push it forward! His knee was that bony I did not even realize what was wrong until he started laughing and the other learner in the back seat burst out into convulsions! Thank God he did not request me to go into 2nd gear as God knows what I could have grabbed then!!!!! Although having said that he may have enjoyed that and told me to stay in 2nd gear for the remainder of the ride, if you pardon the pun.  He said that I had very good control of the vechicle, whatever the hell that meant but as I said to him. I'd need to have control of something to make up for my lack of gear stick manoveres!!! I told him that instead of having a big L on the top of my car, mine should be a big D for 'Danger!'. I am on the roads upon the each morning at 10Am dot com. ... My nerves are nearly gone doing this driving and I'd say that from the stress & tenstion alone it could be a very effect weight loss method! I have to prayer everytime I near the traffic lights praying for them to stay green so as I can glide merrily by without any upset. Everytime I come to the said traffic lights, a pedestrain crossing, a stop sign & for the piece de resistence, a steep life threatening hill whereby I have to start farting around and changing gears, I conk out and not only conk out but have quite naturally it appears perfected the fine art of conking out with gusto in front of some inpatient fart who horn blown friendly and my nerves are nearly shattered to pieces! I doubt if I will be doing my exam on this side of 06!!!! My driving instructer keeps reminding me about all the "danger points" on the road such as a junction etc and I just said to him yesterday "Jayus it is a wonder the human race ever drives as my nerves were nearly gone awakening to this brand new world of motoring hazzards! For my medical in order to start the lessons I was informed I had low blood pressure but as I said to the said doctor ":Thats ok as everyone else on the road that see's me will be suffering from extremely high blood pressure by the time I am finished!!!!" Well I will be hitting the roads with gusto in a few mins so I better sign off here now before the green lights come on!

be continued....

Beep, Beep,
A novice motorist

PS. Finished the 4 individual childrens books and they came out fab...if you send me a private message I can send you an email of the covers....each year will continue doing these...have the bound and all. I am now working on 2 childrens book which I am writing, illustrating and HOPE to get published!!

Ann
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2006 at 09:49

Hi Ann, missed ya around here.

I've seen that movie several times but bad and all as it is it doesn't begin to portray the horrors you describe.

Two of my mates are just back from Poland where they visited Auschwitz and Dachau and their experience seemed nowhere near as haunting as yours.We're all far more familiar with goings on there,whether it be as a result of several movies and documentaries on the subject,or as a result us being much closer geographically.

Reading your post,particularly your references to having met several people directly affected by the appalling activities of the Khmer Rouge, really hammers home the abject horror of the time, more so because of the fact that it's not so long ago at all.

Would really love to do a trip to that part of the world,especially having read Crusty's report. Maybe some day.................

Rolo.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann Whelan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2006 at 10:07

Greetings Rolo,

what happened during that era was truly horrific and still very fresh as though it only happened, especially when you walk through the killing fields and still see personal items half buried. But it is still a very beautiful and serene place to visit...I can't describe it but when I was leaving the first time, I knew that I was going back and I did 8 months later. Some friends that I made there said exactly the same thing .... I have kept in contact with some of the special people that I met there.......must send you some photos that I took if you would like....my plan is to also go back and assist the orphanage. i opened up a private savinf funds here for the orphanage and if I can get the new books that I am doing published I will be able to do a lot more for them. That's my plan, as this country in a way is like the forgotton I feel and one of the worlds poorest countries right now. The povery is unbelievable but it has a beauty in the countrysides, in the simplicity of life, when you see the familes who live on the river boats and riversides.......and they are always dressed in bright happy colours....compared to Dublin the last time I walked down it...it was like a sea of black Gothic dress....... Mr. "L" will be here in a mo so I'll really have to go!!! smiley19

Maye the next time I am there I should recount & interview as many people as I can and pen a book......each has a story so colourful that they really should be recorded, as it is all part of history

Ann
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2006 at 10:27

Thanks Ann,

I would love to see any photos you have, send 'em anytime.

Good luck with the driving, and once you pass the test,get yourself an Automatic, no problems with grabbing the wrong gearstick then.smiley17

Rolo.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann Whelan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2006 at 12:36

Hi Rolo,

you will be relieved to hear that my husband bought me a new automatic as I had not an intension in the world of farting around with gears, clutches & strange mens knees for the rest of my motoring life!!!! Bought himself one while he was at it so we have now joined part of the "His'n Her's" Motoring Jet set Community!!

Beep Beep!

Ann
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2006 at 14:23

Way to go Ann.................

BTW who among the world's great Cricketing nations will be based on your Paradise Island for the World Cup next March. Was thinking of heading out to support Ireland but then found out we were based in Jamaica. No interest in going there.

Maybe you'll get En-Ger-land and their Barmy Army.

Rolo.

Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2006 at 08:11

I Should also have done this weeks ago but................

Salvador , Saving Private Ryan , The Outlaw Josey Wales , Pulp Fiction and Talk to Her ( Pedro ......what's his face, the Spanish guy who did ,Matador, Live Flesh, Bad Education among others.)

Noodles.

Black Russian View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2006 at 08:15

Yeah few Good ones there

Saving Private Ryan Josey Wales and don't foget Pulp fiction. I think I have too many favourite movies that I can' decide on at all

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2006 at 08:24

Think you're right Peter.

I said at the start, Godfather, Schindler's, Tin Drum, Once Upon a Time in America, Deerhunter for top 5 and wouldn't change that now.

But there's loads more in the " Bubbling Under " section, including some others have mentioned.............

Killing Fields, Salvador, Private Ryan, Goodfellas, Donnie Brasco, Pulp Fiction, True Romance,Taxi Driver,Cuckoo's Nest,LOTR (big Tolkien fan here ) and many others.

Must say, really love Deerhunter and can't ever see it being replaced as my No.1.

Rolo.

86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2006 at 09:21
Shame The shame here I have never watched the Deer Hunter 
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2006 at 09:39

Shame indeed Black.

All I can say is do yourself a favour and get a hold of it.

Rolo.

86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2006 at 07:49
I have been meaning to buy it spotted it a few times for a tenner. I`ll buy it 
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2006 at 08:45

Should do fantastic movie.

I remember going to see it in the cinema when it came out first .

God how long ago was that ??

Blondie
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it !
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2006 at 08:52

Reckon it was '78 or '79.

From start to finish it always keeps me riveted,no matter how many times I see it.

Some of the scenes are unforgettable.

Rolo.

86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2006 at 09:05

Shhhhhhhhhh

I only watched Delieverance for the first time there a few months back....

Yeah it was good but I think but not as good as what people were raving about

Also watch The Dukes of Hazzard the other it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be I loved the bit when they got the General Lee painted up and going through Atlanta

softlad View Drop Down
88 - still rockin’ hard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2006 at 14:13
keep an eye out for the chris de burgh story peter, you'll love that. it should be coming out soon direct to video in an extravision near you. he ! he!
softlad

"remember if you wanna get aHEAD you gotta give a little"
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2006 at 14:20
Don't you start getting enough Grief of Rolo....
AAnd please keep Chrsi de Burgh comments to my First gig post lol

Al least I never went to see Extreme
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2006 at 19:42

Just watched Flight of the Phoenix and it was really really good. - Recommend it folks.

Brokeback Mountain - eh well not great if you ask me but then I cut it short so I was told I missed the best part so might rent again... we'll see...

Irresistible - very good I must say with Susan Surrandon - and filmed in Aussie so all other stars are Australian - good movie and keeps you on your toes...

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
xgrovehead View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 08:38

Originally posted by Black Russian Black Russian wrote:

Don't you start getting enough Grief of Rolo....
AAnd please keep Chrsi de Burgh comments to my First gig post lol

Al least I never went to see Extreme

Extreme - oh dear.  More than words and all that.  Ah well we all make mistakes.

We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors, we have only borrowed it from our children.
-Ancient Proverb.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 31>