Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 31>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2006 at 13:59
Originally posted by Sharon Sharon wrote:

Biker

My mam and dad really into JC so we heard alot of him as we were growing up..I havent seen the movie yet but the folks went they said it was good but wasnt as good as they were lead to believe they wished it showed him later in life aswell

My folks seen him live a few times last time they saw him was in the National boxing arena and they said he was helped onto the stage he was so sick/old they reckoned he wouldnt be as good as he use to be but yet they said he still had it and he was fab

Must admit i did buy his Cd at xmas time for the dad and burnt a copy for myself and i enjoy listening to it I think my 1st memory of listening to JC is around the early 70s my folks got a new stereo and the Dad proudly putting on a record god knows which one but i recall it being recorded in a prison( folsom perhaps?) and hearing all the inmates roar when he broke into another song....must look into that

The Man in Black...will always be remembered.... a legend

Shar

Oh best movie hmmm  70s has to be saturday night fever and i did like the rocky Horror picture show a 70s movie but didnt get into it till the 80s

80s lost boys, Top gun,nightmare on elmstreet,the blues brother..I should mention the elephant man seeing as it was my 1st movie i went to with the hubby..lol well boyfriend then

90s  The sixth sense.goodfellas,schindlers list,the Shawshank Redemption.....think that was the best of all

Titanic has to get a mention but not my fav

jeez i think im waffling a bit there must really sort out my 5 top fav films of all time..will post it when i have a good think...lol

Shar

Probably the San Quentin prison concert.........

Thats for that re movie.......think I'll give it a miss..........as I said seen a lot of documentaries lately with the real man in them and that'll do me.
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Sponsored Links

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2006 at 18:17

Tell ya Pat,

Was never a big JC fan so watched the movie with an open mind and no preconceptions.Two good performances by Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon. Was most impressed with the fact that they sang the songs themselves.

Rolo.

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2006 at 08:34

After watching Memoirs of a Geisha last night I would have to say it will go down as one of my favorites.  Very good indeed.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2006 at 08:49

Originally posted by eejit91 eejit91 wrote:

Memphis Belle / Driving Miss Daisy / Schlindler's List / Toy Story - have kids ya know yourself but love that Monsters Inc. - again have kids, no giggles from the peanut gallery

No problem with Geisha entering the Top 5 Teresa, but which one gets relegated.

Rolo.

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2006 at 08:51
The only one out of that lot now that will be kept is Schlinders List!!!
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2006 at 09:15

Ah ya see, getting a bit of sense in your old age................

Rolo.

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2006 at 09:29
Wisdom Rolo Wisdom....
Black Russian View Drop Down
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2006 at 16:43
I know its an old Topic but here my favourite movies

Lord of the Ring Trilogy
Starwars Original Triolgy and Retun of the Sith
Back to the Future Tril
Alien Quadilogy
From Dusk Till Dawn
Die Hard Trilogy
Lethal Weapon TRILOGY
Blade 1 and 2 number three was dodgy
And all Taratinos movies
Ok Iknow its more than 5 movies but all needed a mention lol

Scariest film was Sixth Sense it freaked me out and the kid is the image of my nephew even when he was crying scary sh*t and there is a story to go with that... My nephew did start claiming to see a figure in his house Freaky or what

Edited by Black Russian
russell View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
82-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2006 at 18:11

good choices Black Russian. your well into trilogys, LOTR ... defo top5

Russ
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2006 at 18:19
Ah yeah... I want to organise a nite in and watch the Lotr triolgy in one go lol
russell View Drop Down
82-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2006 at 18:21

My top 5 or six movies,.....should of done this ages ago

Cinema Paradiso

All this and heaven too (it's an ol one )

It's a wonderful life  

Cape Fear (the original with Robert Mitchum)

Shawshank

Amelie

Edited by russell
Russ
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2006 at 18:25
Cape fear and Shawshank are the only ones I have seen don't know the others 
russell View Drop Down
82-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2006 at 18:42

Hiya BR , out of the above lot I would defo recomend Cinema Paradiso.

it's a story about a boy growing up in sicilly  who befriends this old guy who works as a projectionist at an old cinema house. The old guy teaches the boy about cinema, and becomes a farther fiqure for the boy. It's a story about growing and realising your ambitions...The composer Ennio Morricone did the soundtrack for it which is fabulous ..

Sounds boring  I know ......but I betcha your bottom dollar you won't say that after you've seen it ...

Russ
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2006 at 11:05

Originally posted by russell russell wrote:

My top 5 or six movies..........Amelie

I really enjoyed Amelie too,Russell. Didn't think I would, thought it'd be a bit girlie, ya know............but hafta say it was very good.

Have you seen Chocolat ?

I haven't but Catherine says it's great too.

Rolo.

russell View Drop Down
82-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2006 at 14:15

have'nt seen that one Rolo but have heard good thingss about it ..will give it a try soon enough

Edited by russell
Russ
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2006 at 17:39
Oh in my list of movies I forgot the
Clint Eastwood Spagetti Westerns
and
Gladiater
and Shrek 1 and 2
Spiderman 1 and 2
Batman Batman Returns an Batman Begins
Will think of more for my top 500 movies lol
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2006 at 17:51

ok here's my new list

Memoirs of a Geisha

Cinderella Man

The Killing Fields

Schlindlers List

not sure about the 5th need to think a bit more about this!

softlad View Drop Down
88 - still rockin’ hard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2006 at 07:35

got to agree with you eejit , killing fields (pure class) , here goes the votes of  the soflads jury, in no particular order:

1) the killing fields (nuff said)

2) a river runs through it (yes i know its a brad pitt movie but hey i like fly fishing)

3) big fish (you just gotta love it)

4) the majestic (jim carrey's best ever performance)

5)Hellraiser (pinhead is god!!)

softlad

"remember if you wanna get aHEAD you gotta give a little"
Ann Whelan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann Whelan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2006 at 08:24
Re: Top 5 movies-The Killing Fields

Believe it or not but I must have fell thru the cracks somewhere in life as I have not seeing this particular movie and since it has been mentioned so much on the list I must attempt to get it on DVD.

I actually went to visit the killing Fields a year and a half ago when I was last in Cambodia and it leaves such an ever lasting impression on you as do the people. Nearly everyone that you meet has a story to tell of loved ones, family and friends who suffered under this regime... The bit that got me was that they were not that old either and such utterly lovely gentle people. Before I went to the Killing Fields I  went to the Tuol Sleng Genocide museum, which was the former Khmer Rouge S-21 Prison. I got the hotel babysitter to stay with my daughter the day I went there. It was formerly a high school but during the KR regime it became an extermination camp & used for administrations, interrogations & torture. It is eerie to walk into it and see the rooms that were used to torture these innocent men, women, children and infants. Especially touching were the faces of the little children and babies because when I looked at them and then thought of my two little daughters who were both born in Cambodia and safely and happily back in my hotel room I just thought, my God had they been born in that era, it could have so easily been them. There are rooms with thousands of faces of the victims who perished under this regime. They documented everything, pictorially included. You see smiling faces of babies, that could be any baby you know, being held by young mothers whose faces are captured with a resigned look, for they know the fate that lies ahead and how all they can do is accept it. Among the endless rows of faces there are little boys and girls, born by fate at the wrong place & in the wrong time, men, women & the elderly. There are photos documenting the endless cruel and evil tortures these people endured. Hitler in comparison looks a saint by the atrocities that were committed in Cambodia, for they were inhumanly tortured and their torture was prolonged as long as it could so that they were not allowed die. Walking into the gas chambers for these people would have been a luxury and a Godsend. All the buildings are covered in barbwire and this was to prevent them from jumping off the balconies and committing suicide. The signs of the laws, the gallows, the torture instruments are still all there in the ghostly silence of the camp and it is the weirdest feeling to walk thru it as it is like getting the closest to a part of history where the dust has still not settled. There is a large glass case that holds the clothes of the those who perished here. I found this one of the saddest things to look at as they came a people who already had nothing, rags from the people who toiled the land with oxes, reaped the harvest from the paddy fields by hand, they took the only thing these people had, their dignity & lives. Nearly everyone you speak to in Cambodia alive today has had family, friends of someone they knew murdered by this régime. My driver & his wife told me how he had to walk & flee through all the provinces by foot, hiding in the forest, trying to get away and hide so that he could not be captured. His wife told me that her father was captured, tortured & shot when she was only too, leaving her mother and her (she was 2 at the time) homeless & with nothing until a family took them in. Everyone knows someone there who has perished. Hard to believe that all this took place only in the mid 70s to mid 80s. After that I went to the "Killing Fields" which is where many of these victims very buried in mass graves. It is amazing to walk through the grounds now, in the heat of the sun, past all the white flowering frangipani trees, where beautiful animated looking butterflies & birds flutter from tree to tree in what feels like the most serene setting, very peaceful. As you walk along, further past the posts which give the history of what atrocities occurred here, in various languages, you then pass all the mass graves each which hold a signing giving the amount in thousands who were buried in each spot, and if it was a grave of men, women or children and their age group. There is a tall bayon tree there that still has the old aged & rusted nails that were beaten into it, still covered with dried blood, and this is where they use to get the newborns & infants and in front of their mothers, hold them by the legs and whack their heads against the nails in the tree trunks until they were dead. It sounds utterly disgusting, and I am sure many people would say, "I don't want to know", but not wanting to know does not mean it didn't happen. It did, and I do not think that people should ever turn a blind eye to the horrors & evilness that occurred in Cambodia, just like Germany, so that they are never repeated again. Tragically, they are, maybe in a smaller scale, but if it is happening to one individual person in this world, than that is one person too many. I did manage to get in some more upbeat  & spiritually uplifting activities such as shopping!!!! I would really reccomend that anyone visiting over in the Thailand/Vietnam area visit there, it is a country that leaves a haunting footprint on your heart, very beautiful. I plan on returning in about a year or two and want to travel around and visit as many of the temples and ancient sites as I can, take tons of photos, visit the orphanges again. And one day when my little daughters are old enough, I would dearly love to bring the three of them back on a holiday to visit and see their beautiful country of birth. Each of my daughters have Cambodian names and I did this beacuse of the beautiful meanings of their names and also when you visit their and see the pride and love in these people's eyes, even tho most of them ahve nothing they have a glowing pride in themselves and their country. Especially the little children in the orphanges....for them their names are so important as really that is the one thing that they were given and which belongs soley to them. My eldest little girl was so full of the importance of her name which in English means "Destiny" that I would never have dreamt of changing it! She wants to be a Princess when she grows up so I will have to check out the credentials of the Cambodian Royal Family and see if their Crown Prince is truly worthy of her! Now that will be another movie kids to add to the Top 5!!!smiley2
Ann
xgrovehead View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2006 at 08:50
I've never seen the movie either Ann - but the picture you paint is horrific.  Dreadful stuff - its amazing how evil human beings can be.
We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors, we have only borrowed it from our children.
-Ancient Proverb.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 31>