The Grove Social Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 28293031>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2024 at 14:23
I'm enjoying all your little movie snapshots Pat. I see you enjoyed Hillbilly Elegy. That film seems to be have been a bit controversial in that (I think I read) it was seen as portraying nostalgia for a Conservative, closed-minded kind of American culture that wouldn't have tolerated blacks, "strangers", even women very well. A kinda society that Trump wants to bring back. I don't know if that's what it did portray but it's a film I definitely intend to watch at some stage.
Do you reckon that's what was portrayed by the film or did I read a load of old garbage about it?!! Confused

One of its legs is both the same
Sponsored Links

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2024 at 14:33
"Redeeming Love"

A good movie set in 1800's California about a good farmer man who falls in love with a prostitute who's had a really cruel past. Watchable love story.

Gerry, 

Hillbilly Elligy was partly what you say but it was criticized because it portrayed Appalachian people as no good and lazy layabouts.

Pretty much what you see in the movie.
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2024 at 14:41
Cheers Pat. I wanted to do a thumbs-up emoji here but the software wouldn't let me ("error inserting object..."). Not a big enough deal for me to bother Kilo I don't think......
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2024 at 15:20
No problem Gerry.

I use the FB emoji's 👍👍👍

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2024 at 13:05
"Boundaries".

Excellent serious but funny movie.

Laura is a well-meaning single mother who is forced to drive her estranged pot-dealing father, Jack, from Texas to California, with her troubled son Henry along for the ride. While Jack uses Henry and the road trip to help him distribute his copious supply of marijuana, Laura finally confronts Leonard - her dead-beat ex-husband.

Brilliant soundtrack cand scenery.

Christopher Plummer is the father. Peter Fonda also features in a scene. 

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2024 at 12:56
"The Wild".

The beautiful Reese Witherspoon is fantastic in this film.

And there is some great snippets of great music in the soundtrack. 

A must watch. 

Driven to the edge by the loss of her beloved mother (Laura Dern), the dissolution of her marriage and a headlong dive into self-destructive behavior, Cheryl Strayed (Reese Witherspoon) makes a decision to halt her downward spiral and put her life back together again. With no outdoors experience, a heavy backpack and little else to go on but her own will, Cheryl sets out alone to hike the Pacific Crest Trail -- one of the country's longest and toughest through-trails

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2024 at 10:51
" Elena Knows"

This was on my Netflix list for quite a while because I wasn't sure it would be any good.

Turns out it's an excellent emotional and moving film.

As her Parkinson's disease progresses, a woman leads a relentless investigation into finding those responsible for the sudden death of her daughter.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2024 at 14:17
"Will"

Two young police officers find themselves torn between collaboration and resistance as they navigate the Nazi-occupied Antwerp during World War II's darkest days.

This film won a lot of awards.

True to life film with some violent and shocking scenes. 

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2024 at 13:28
"Ambulance"

If you like fast action movies then this is for you.

Needing money to cover his wife's medical bills, a decorated veteran teams up with his adoptive brother to steal $32 million from a Los Angeles bank. However, when their getaway goes spectacularly wrong, the desperate thieves hijack an ambulance that's carrying a severely wounded cop and an EMT worker. Caught in a high-speed chase, the two siblings must figure out a way to outrun the law while keeping their hostages alive.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2024 at 10:56
"Cry Macho"

A 2021 movie starring the legendary Clint Eastwood.

Charming movie. 

A onetime rodeo star and washed-up horse breeder, in 1978, takes a job from an ex-boss to bring the man's young son home and away from his alcoholic mum. Crossing rural Mexico on their back way to Texas, the unlikely pair faces an unexpectedly challenging journey, during which the world-weary horseman may find his own sense of redemption through teaching the boy what it means to be a good man.

Edited by Biker Pat - 27-February-2024 at 13:02

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-February-2024 at 12:19

"Bhaksak"

Brilliant movie.

Set in India.

Harrowing story of child abuse being covered up and exposed by a very brave female journalist.

A struggling local journalist begins a dogged investigation into harrowing cases of abuse being covered up at a shelter for young girls.

Edited by Biker Pat - 29-February-2024 at 12:36

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2024 at 13:02
"To Kill A Tiger"

An emotional movie/documentary based on true facts.

Set in India where statistics show a woman is raped every 20 minutes.

When his teen daughter survives a harrowing multiple rape, a humble farmer embarks on a remarkable pursuit of justice, defying deep intolerance in their village who turn on the family and threaten them with all kinds of deeds. It shows up a deep culture of blaming the female if she is raped.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2024 at 13:17
Looked at "On her majesty's secret service" - James Bond, with George Lazenby's only appearance as Bond, last night. Saw it when.it came out first in 1969 I think. Entertaining enough, but too long. And some of the choppy jumping from scene to scene was, eh, abrupt, to say the least. Diana Rigg was her usual magnificent, gorgeous self as the female lead... 
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2024 at 14:00
I must be one of the few people who never watched a James Bond film.

Now Diana Rigg is another matter. 

Never missed The Avengers on the telly during the 60's. 

She was a real crush of mine as a young teenager. 

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2024 at 14:21
Yep, same here. I've only watched a couple of Bond films - entertaining enough when they are released but the one last night was really showing its age - like meself !!! LOLLOLLOL
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2024 at 14:26
"13 Hours"

On September 11, 2012, Ansar al-Sharia militants attacked a U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya. U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens was killed during the attack when the militants set fire to the compound.

Decent enough action movie based on true facts.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2024 at 10:40
"The International".

Interesting movie about the money trail to arms shipments to the Middle East and Africa.

Interpol agent Louis Salinger (Clive Owen) joins forces with New York prosecutor Eleanor Whitman (Naomi Watts) to put an end to a powerful bank's funding of terrorism. As they follow the money from Germany to Italy to New York to Turkey, Salinger and Whitman find their own lives are at risk from those who will stop at nothing to protect their interests.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2024 at 14:15
"Last House On The Left" 

Violent watchable thriller with some gory bits.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2024 at 13:20
"SISU"

Worth a watch.

Sisu is unadulterated, grindhouse fun, and I for one hope we see more films like it very soon. Sisu offers a 91-minute massacre with deftly captured shots and wonderfully skilled action pieces, delivering heaps of blood-drenched fun.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
ShortHairHippie View Drop Down
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2024 at 12:04
I enjoyed it Pat,less talk,more action.
upon us all,a little rain must fall
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 28293031>