Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sport miscellaneous

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 19>
Author
Really Really Senior Member
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2011 at 20:43

Great day for the Irish at Monza. Eugene Laverty wins both Superbikes races. What a star. Naturally, he's in my fantasy team for 2011 season. It brought tears to my eyes to hear the national anthem being played depsite the commentators saying that this was the first British win at Monza since whenever.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/motorsport/2011/0508/lavertye_superb ike.html

Life is for living
Sponsored Links

monarch View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2011 at 18:58
F/T: Leinster 33-22 Northampton Saints

Edited by monarch
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2011 at 20:01

Blown away by Leinster today in the Heinekin Cup.

That second half display was probably one of the great moments in rugby and in sport in general.

A display beyond compare.

Whatever was said in that dressing room at half time must have been awe inspiring.

Watched it with aching Grove limbs but was a sporting spectacle.

Leinster, you did us PROUD

May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2011 at 22:20

And Finno.............must have been magical

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
whippersnapper View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2011 at 09:14
Amazing what happens when a bunch of talented lads discover drive, desire and committment. The talent as there years back, but over the last few these boys have hit the heights- and good luck to them.

Watched the highlights last night - with attitude like that and what the Munster lads had for years before, the rugby will reach out to more and more kids round the country.

The GAA and soccer had better keep themselves sharp or could find themselves in the ha'penny place. And it would be interesting to imagine how good IReland would be at rugby if not competing with our national games.

Not that I'm advocating a rush to the egg chasing mind you....
I'm searching for that cash I should have saved for the crash
Uncle Arthur View Drop Down
80-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2011 at 10:08

Savage performance in the second half. Listened to a lot of experts saying that Northanpton got tired, but that doesn't explain the 15 minutes after half-time when Leinster just blew them away.

I like the simple Leinster analysis of it. At half time they said a few choice words, believed they could turn it around, and talked about 2 things they needed to change - keep Northampton lower in the scrums, and then when attacking just keep the ball and recycle. Northampton got tired alright but it was because of the huge number of tackles thay had to put in in that 15 minute period while Leinster just kept the ball and kept coming at them. 

The best rugby team in Europe without doubt have beaten all the top teams to get there this year.

I hope they left a bit in the tank for next week because Munster are lying in the grass to ambush them in the Magners final.

UA

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity but an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"

muller View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2011 at 15:12

Great synopsis, Tom. JS was easily the man of the match and that little fellah with a big heart at number 15 was deadly. Did you see the huddle in the first few minutes of the second half where they allowed JS into the centre of the circle and he looked like he was admonishing them while the captain stood on the periphary. His leadership belies his years. A future captain, no doubt. BOD was off the pace because of fitness but Strauss was awesome. I was going to switch off at half-time. I could bear to see us getting creamed in the srcums again and again. What a turnaround.

Come on ye boys in blue

Life is for living
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2011 at 16:19
Just re-watched the game and it felt like

I had watched 2 matches instead of 1.Northampton

certainly won the first half but 27 points

in the first 26 minutes of the second 1/2 sealed

it for Leinster.Another reason for to leave my

Blue and White flag out for a few more days.
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2011 at 01:03

Rock on Rory Mc Ilroy in the US Open.

Am not a golfer but have watched the Classic's over the years.

But this performance so far is magical as far as I can see and going on what the commentator's are saying is record breaking.

If memory serves me correct he was in front before but lost the title later.

I hope that does not happen this time..............

Wish him the best

Edited by Biker Pat

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
DAYO View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
70 / 76

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAYO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2011 at 22:47

Just watching Rory Mc Ilroy here. Such a great young man. He deserves this win after the Masters.

Comn Rory

Dayo

Grov'in 70 - 76
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2011 at 00:16

Another possible Irish hero .........

Events at Wimbledon do not usually have the people of Ireland on the edge of their seats. Tennis trails well behind gaelic football, hurling, football and rugby in terms of spectators and it is easily outstripped by swimming and golf when it comes to participation. However, a few more Irish eyes than usual will be trained on SW19 when Conor Niland becomes only the second Irishman to play in the main draw in the Open Era.

The 29-year-old, who is ranked 184 in the world, will play the Frenchman Adrian Mannarino in round one, with the six-times champion Roger Federer– a player he used to beat when they were juniors – likely to await in round two.

"It's brilliant," says Niland. "It's the thing I've always wanted and if I could have chosen a slam to do it, it would be Wimbledon. Tennis isn't necessarily something people talk about in the pub in Ireland but they understand when someone plays at Wimbledon they can obviously play a bit."

The American-born and raised Matt Doyle became an Irish citizen in 1985, but his last appearance at Wimbledon came the year before, when he was still a United States player. So instead Niland will be following in the footsteps of Sean Sorensen, who lost to Rod Laver in the first round in 1977 and played for a second time in 1980. Ticket requests from family and friends have been coming thick and fast.

Niland, pictured below, won through three qualifiers to reach the first round proper, sealing his place with a victory over Nikola Mektic on Saturday. His achievement is in stark contrast to the efforts of Britain's men – all eight involved in qualifying failed to make it through. Calls for Niland to be awarded a wild card were led by Andy Murray but even though he was ranked higher than every Briton other than Murray, he was overlooked.

"I'm sure I was pretty close to getting one but I don't really know what the criteria are," Niland says. "Obviously they're under no obligation to give me one – I was applying as an Irish player – but it was great that I managed to qualify and it's a much better feeling to qualify than to get in by a wild card. Maybe if I'd got a wild card people would have said, 'Oh, he's in Wimbledon but he had to be given a spot.' I'm just delighted that I'm in and to come through the qualifying is the best way to do it, really."

Niland has done things off his own bat for most of his career. He was born in Birmingham but his parents moved the family back to Limerick when he was two and he stayed there until the age of 16, when he went to Millfield, the public school in Somerset that is renowned for its sporting prowess. After three years he went to study English at the University of California at Berkeley and his progress up the ladder has been steady since then.

Murray is a big fan and after inviting the Irishman to train with him at the National Tennis Centre in Roehampton last autumn, the world No4 was full of praise for his work ethic.

"We practised together I think four times last year," Niland says. "Obviously it's brilliant for me to get that kind of level and it was great for my confidence. When you go into your next tournament you're not going to see anything you haven't seen the week before. I actually had a really good run after those few hits, I enjoyed it and it's something I'd really like to do again."

Mannarino was beaten by the British No2, James Ward, in the Aegon Championships at Queen's a little over a week ago. Niland believes he can win.

"I'm going to have to play very well to win it but it's one of those matches I suppose you could say is winnable," he says. "We'll see what happens but I'll definitely go out to compete and try my best."

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2011 at 00:39

Congrats to Rory Mc Illroy................

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
DONDON View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
73-77

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DONDON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2011 at 15:08

Moylette claims gold in Turkey

Boxing: Ray Moylette claimed Ireland’s first gold of the European Championships in Turkey today with a hard-fought 18-10 victory over Liverpool light-welterweight Thomas Stalker, who never quite got to grips with his opponent’s all-action style.

The 21-year-old, who boxes out of the St Anne's BC in Westport, shared the first round 5-5 with Stalker, a silver medal winner at the 2010 European Championships and the current Commonwealth champion.

However, Moylette, working comfortably behind his trademark high guard, fired home some quality body shots and left and right hooks in the second to command a 12-8 advantage at the bell before adding another six points to his advantage.

“I'm absolutely thrilled with the win, absolutely thrilled, " said the 2008 AIBA World Youth champ, who did a handstand in celebration in the ring immediately after his historic victory.

Joe Ward will be in the ring in the next hour for his light-heavyweight final with Nikita Ivanov of Russia.

Grover from 73(old Grove)

In the year of the bankers and developers
When recession raged across the land
there were many driven by the hopelessness to set sail for the Americas and Australia
whippersnapper View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2011 at 19:52
Boxing have produced a good stream of medal prospects in various competitions over the years. Good work in a hard tough sport....
I'm searching for that cash I should have saved for the crash
muller View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2011 at 14:25
Life is for living
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2011 at 15:40
Yea ,,headin up 2moro ,,,always a good day out
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
DONDON View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
73-77

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DONDON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2011 at 10:12

Harington is playing YO YO golf like he did yesterday.He is not foscussed and very erratic. Bogey on the first again like yesterday

He will do well to qualify for the final 2 rounds...... Finger out Padraig, and start playing  FFS

Edited by DONDON
Grover from 73(old Grove)

In the year of the bankers and developers
When recession raged across the land
there were many driven by the hopelessness to set sail for the Americas and Australia
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2011 at 23:20

Congratulations to Darren Clarke

Tremendous achievement and what a really nice guy.

Totally deserved.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2011 at 23:21

On the question of golf, which I have never played nor wish to, what is that marker they put down made of and if another player wants to make a putt does it get in the way and put his ball off track?

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
muller View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2011 at 00:16
It's usually a coin but amateurs use a plastic disc with a spike. Did you see Happy Gilmore with Adam Sandler when the homeless guy he hired as his caddie was picking up the quarters on the green?
Life is for living
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 19>