Print Page | Close Window

Sport miscellaneous

Printed From: The Grove Social Club
Category: Non Grove Related Stuff
Forum Name: Off Topic Forum
Forum Description: Discuss Anything off topic here - upcoming events etc.
URL: http://www.theGroveSocialClub.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=801
Printed Date: 28-April-2024 at 19:19
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Sport miscellaneous
Posted By: finno
Subject: Sport miscellaneous
Date Posted: 28-November-2009 at 10:07

Thought we could have a topic where general aspects of sport in general could be posted GAA and Soccer not being the only sports people are interested in, and this would give them a home.

Rugby

Have any of you been following the news about Tendai Mtawarira "The Beast"?
Appears that he does not have South African citizenship. Born in Zimbabwe and does not appear to have the correct working visa. SA immigration are kicking up.
BUT he does meet the requirements of not having played International Test Rugby for any other country, and been resident for 36 months - Same conditions that allowed Rikki Flutey to play for England (boy do they miss him) before buggering off to play in France.

-------------
A man must have a code

Replies:
Posted By: Biker Pat
Date Posted: 28-November-2009 at 10:09

Just posted the fact that the Irish golfers are getting great coverage here in Thailand.

-------------
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Posted By: grainne_witch
Date Posted: 28-November-2009 at 17:38
Well done to Ireland today!!! Very exciting game.

Date Posted: 29-November-2009 at 11:56
Agree great game. But how on earth was Ritchie McCaw (who missed or was was poor for half the season) get player of the year and not Brian O' Driscoll? 

-------------
A man must have a code

Posted By: Aries
Date Posted: 30-November-2009 at 08:24
Have to agree. I think O'Driscoll should have got it. Great to beat the world champions so well but looks like Sexton has two broken fingers and will be out for some time. ( No wonder ROG was smiling )

-------------
THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE
BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST

Date Posted: 30-November-2009 at 15:31

Suggestion is that Sexton will be out of Leinster's two Heineken Cup games against the Scarlets in December.

-------------
A man must have a code

Posted By: whippersnapper
Date Posted: 30-November-2009 at 22:16
Saw a fair bit of the All Blacks against the french. Didn't watch the Ireland game

Do the All Blacks really need the best of Fiji, Samoa etc? Have they not got enough of their own? Is their winger Fijian, and in the past they had Tongans and all sorts thrown in - Michael Jones, Graham Bachop, Tingamala etc etc.

How the hell have they thrown away so many World Cups - they look so good in between years. The old six inches between the ears I suppose..

Rugby union played well (I watch bits and pieces and would never claim to be a real fan) is as good a game as there is. Lovely mixture of raw physical confrontation allied to great skill. Like the Gah though, if it's played badly it's terrible old rubbish to watch....

-------------
I'm searching for that cash I should have saved for the crash

Date Posted: 01-December-2009 at 07:46

Funny you should make that comment. I sl*g the New Zealand lads here about it. The Alll Blacks are great ..what would a New Zealand team be like ????

It has to be, next to Hurling, the best field game in the world

I'm not biast

-------------

Posted By: joey the lips
Date Posted: 01-December-2009 at 09:01
Good program on RTE last night ,about the road to Irelands Grand slam,was very well put together..Great to see hurling your first choice Gary 

-------------
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave

Date Posted: 01-December-2009 at 10:46

Yeh I watch it Joey

There is a great spirit amoung the squad

-------------

Date Posted: 01-December-2009 at 20:13
Originally posted by whippersnapper whippersnapper wrote:

Saw a fair bit of the All Blacks against the french. Didn't watch the Ireland game

Do the All Blacks really need the best of Fiji, Samoa etc? Have they not got enough of their own? Is their winger Fijian, and in the past they had Tongans and all sorts thrown in - Michael Jones, Graham Bachop, Tingamala etc etc.

How the hell have they thrown away so many World Cups - they look so good in between years. The old six inches between the ears I suppose..

Rugby union played well (I watch bits and pieces and would never claim to be a real fan) is as good a game as there is. Lovely mixture of raw physical confrontation allied to great skill. Like the Gah though, if it's played badly it's terrible old rubbish to watch....

Yes they do need the best of the fijiians, But so do Australia.

The Islander Rugby Associations are kept poor deliberately so that their best young talent are enticed away to NZ and to AU.
Nz and AU play tests from time to time BUT only on home soil as sop as then they do not becomes decent sources of revenue which might enable them to keep their best young players.. Its just so cynical.

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 01-December-2009 at 20:17
What about South Africa trying to cite 3 Irish players after the match on Saturday? What sore losers.
SA could have had one or two players sin binned, and in addition could have had Bekker red carded

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 01-December-2009 at 20:27
From Irish Times
JOHN O'SULLIVAN Reports

RUGBY NEWS ROUND-UP: THE IRFU has expressed its disappointment with the way that South Africa went about seeking to have Ireland number eight Jamie Heaslip cited for eye gouging – an allegation that was subsequently found to be groundless – following Saturday’s international at Croke Park.

The South Africans petitioned the match commissioner, Scotland’s Douglas Hunter, to examine footage of the game to substantiate their claim that Heaslip had made contact with the eye area of flanker Heinrich Brussow.

The Boks weren’t able to specify exactly when the incident was alleged to have taken place other than to suggest that it was in the second half. Hunter examined the tapes in detail and found that Heaslip had absolutely no case to answer.

The Irish Times understands that the background to the whole process angered the IRFU as not alone did the Springboks allow the name of the player to become public – the story appeared on a website and certainly wasn’t Irish led – but they also asked for three Irish players to be investigated. One hour after that request they had reduced that number to two and then half an hour later it became one.

The IRFU released a statement last night outlining their concern. It read: “The Six Nations has confirmed to the Irish Rugby Football Union that none of a number of referrals made by South Africa against Ireland players has been upheld by the independent citing commissioner that was present at the game between Ireland and South Africa in Croke Park on Saturday, November 28th.

“The Ireland management is, however, very disappointed that the name of an Ireland player was subsequently associated with eye gouging in the media as a result of one of these unsubstantiated referrals.

“The Ireland management fully support and believe in the integrity of the citing process in place but believe that any referrals in this process should be made only when they are material and substantial. The Ireland management will be making no further comment and consider the matter closed.”

It’s particularly unfair on Heaslip going forward to have his name linked with such an incident, even though the accusations were groundless.

These latest shenanigans will do little to improve relations between the two teams fuelled by comments made by South African captain John Smit is his recent autobiography and also the eye gouging incident involving Schalk Burger and Ireland’s Luke Fitzgerald during the second Test of the Lions tour this summer.

In fairness to Burger he was one of the few South Africans who stayed around shaking hands at the final whistle last Saturday as most of the Springboks ignored the post-match pitch ritual of clapping their opponents off, instead heading for the dressing room without any preamble.

-------------
A man must have a code

Posted By: DAYO
Date Posted: 01-December-2009 at 21:30

Ya should call this thread  Rugger Buggers, There is a GAA and a soccer so why not.

-------------
Dayo

Grov'in 70 - 76

Posted By: Blondie
Date Posted: 05-December-2009 at 21:08

Originally posted by joey the lips joey the lips wrote:

Good program on RTE last night ,about the road to Irelands Grand slam,was very well put together..Great to see hurling your first choice Gary 

Saw that programme as well Joey was really good seeing how they  interacted with one another.

-------------
Blondie
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it !

Date Posted: 06-December-2009 at 09:43
I think Ryle Nugent is a rubbish rugby commentator. He didn't know anything about the game when he started (or if he did he hid it well!) Still not much better. But in the Grand Slam programme was really shown up when talking about the game against France, when the players seemed astonished at his questions and then couldn't stop laughing at him.

Apart from that thought it was an excellent programme, but should have been done sooner and been the basis of the grand slam dvd with the matches.

Dayo,
this is for all the other sports other than the majority interests of GAA and Soccer. So for those interested in Golf, Sailing and tiddliwinks you now have a home.

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 07-December-2009 at 13:17
The Home of the Tiddliwinks ,,I thought i would never find it

-------------

Date Posted: 07-December-2009 at 21:49
Joey, well you have now!

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 08-December-2009 at 09:01

-------------

Posted By: Rolo
Date Posted: 08-December-2009 at 13:19

Not a Horse Racing fan but best of luck to Mick Kinane in his retirement.

Rode his first winner in 1975 and hangs up his whip today after 34 years in the saddle.

Respect.

Date Posted: 08-December-2009 at 14:35
" Knackered "

-------------

Date Posted: 08-December-2009 at 14:54

Originally posted by Aries Aries wrote:

" Knackered "

Who ?

You or Mick Kinane

Date Posted: 01-January-2010 at 22:21
Just watched the darts.

Phil The Power Taylor - awesome. Up against a former pupil, Adrian Lewis. Lewis had a 3 dart average of 102 plus, was averaging 40% plus on checkouts for most of the game and got whitewashed 5 zip. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

And not just that - you get Sidney Waddell thrown in for free. Commeting on Lewis, he suggested it was like "eating candey floss in a wind tunnell - just impossible"

A tremendous evening's entertainment.

I've tried watching the Lakeside one on the BBC before and it's just not the same - the razzmatazz and sheer gaudiness don't come across as well as on sky. That's what makes it so excellent, the sheer tackiness....

I am definitely heading out to City West next year when the boys come on tour. Got a last minute offer of tickets this year but it was the young fellas birthday party, so there's only so much you can get away with. Better planning next year will help me out

Awesome game / sport.

-------------

Date Posted: 02-January-2010 at 11:26

I'd just like to go for the tackyness as you said Darragh.

Looks the biz..in an odd sort of way

-------------

Posted By: Uncle Arthur
Date Posted: 02-January-2010 at 14:18

Taylor should beat Webster easily tonight but it will be a lot closer between Barney and the Wizard of Oz. Can't wait.

-------------
UA

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity but an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"

Date Posted: 02-January-2010 at 15:46

Agree Arty.

Looking forward to seeing the world's greatest sportsman as he grinds yet another " Pretender " into the ground.

The game is definitely changing with the early demise of the old stagers like Mardle,Manley,Part, Priestly and even that upstart,Mervyn King, in the early rounds of the tournament.

No matter what's thrown at him, Taylor has the mental strength to see tham all off. Hope Whitlock beats Raymond tonight as he might win a set or two off Phil in the final. Don't want a repeat of last year.

Date Posted: 03-January-2010 at 18:34
Taylor will win the final tonight but I have backed Whitlock to win at least 3 sets - wishful thinking perhaps that it will be entertaining viewing for a little while at least

-------------
UA

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity but an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"

Date Posted: 04-January-2010 at 08:14
What a super match.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-January-2010 at 20:28
Taylor is immense - there is something about him that I find it difficult to really warm to. I think it's his sheer brilliance - I like my heroes flawed I think.

Whitlock put it up to him, but no bother to the Power - checkouts of 170, 161 when it really really mattered. when it didn't matter, he missed doube 1.

Sign of an awesome competitor when he always always always does what's required.

Whitlock's darting career starts now - let's see can he do what Painter, Wade, Part and co have failed to do - improve and stay humble. Prietley never had the talent, but had the application. Manley and Lewis and Wade have the talent - do they have the application?

"He's more intense than a Beduoin tribe" - another pearler from Sydney last night....

-------------

Date Posted: 05-January-2010 at 08:09
Just a funny thing I noticed. When Whitlock shot a good score the camera kept going to another bloke...is he ..............

-------------

Date Posted: 05-January-2010 at 11:04

.......his manager ?

Sure is Gary.

Ah 'Snapper,how can ya not warm to the legend that is Phil Taylor.

From a career in Burslem,Stoke-On-Trent making handles for toilets to the world's greatest sportsman in twenty years and humble with it.

You couldn't write it.

Saw one banner on Sunday, " 14 World Titles and not a Sir .........why ?"

Totally agree.

The campaign to make him an OBE at least starts here !

Date Posted: 06-January-2010 at 13:50
Originally posted by Rolo Rolo wrote:

.......his manager ?

Sure is Gary.

Ah 'Snapper,how can ya not warm to the legend that is Phil Taylor.

From a career in Burslem,Stoke-On-Trent making handles for toilets to the world's greatest sportsman in twenty years and humble with it.

You couldn't write it.

Saw one banner on Sunday, " 14 World Titles and not a Sir .........why ?"

Totally agree.

The campaign to make him an OBE at least starts here !

In the Republic????

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 06-January-2010 at 14:01

Absolutely Finno.

True genius has to be recognised. If we get the ball rolling here there's enough Sassenachs will jump on the Bandwagon to secure a title for the great man.

Arise Sir Phil.

Date Posted: 06-January-2010 at 14:04

Well I'll give him a "Sir "

Theres about 5 living in Kinsale, he can have them all if he likes ......

-------------

Date Posted: 22-January-2010 at 06:52

Anyone into kiteboarding should head on down to Pak Nam Pran near Hua Hin as the Asean championships are on in March.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 07-February-2010 at 21:42
Was at the match yesterday. Poor second half but good result. Kearney not at his best.
Poite - not the greatest of refereeing debut in the Six Nations but called the spear tackle right. Pity that the pass that proceeded it (which was sublime) got lost. It was a great move.
France up next. France looked good against Scotland but not invulnerable.

-------------
A man must have a code

Posted By: eejit91
Date Posted: 12-February-2010 at 19:35

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyunion/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=rugby/10/02/12/RUGBYU_France_Nightlead.html - http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyunion/news/story_get.cgi?ST ORY_NAME=rugby/10/02/12/RUGBYU_France_Nightlead.html

I hope we slaughter them now!

-------------
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."

Date Posted: 13-February-2010 at 08:12
I suppose we shouldn't mention Julien Depuy (suspended after appeal), David Attoab (70 weeks) ..............

How about Michel Palme who cost a player to lose an eye....
Claude and Richard Dourthe who hold a unique record being the only father and son who have both been red carded in International rugby...

Palme went on to become an official of the French Rugby Federation!

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 13-February-2010 at 13:12
Gosh Finna pity you weren't standing there when he made all of those statements, you would of wiped him up off the floor with all that knowledge.

-------------
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."

Date Posted: 13-February-2010 at 13:25
We just got to beat them

-------------

Date Posted: 13-February-2010 at 18:34
Originally posted by finno finno wrote:

I suppose we shouldn't mention Julien Depuy (suspended after appeal), David Attoab (70 weeks) ..............

How about Michel Palme who cost a player to lose an eye....
Claude and Richard Dourthe who hold a unique record being the only father and son who have both been red carded in International rugby...

Palme went on to become an official of the French Rugby Federation!

Now, we lost badly and Parra can point the finger at Flannery. How he escaped a yellow card I dont know but poor refereeing. (Thought Healy's was a bit harsh.) Flannery should have got a red, but I'm sure the Citing Commissioner will now take care of that. Flannery will be gone for rest of six nations.

France were at the top of their game. Before the game I thought we would sneak it but would come a cropper at Twickenham... so what now?

Expect France to win a grand slam

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 13-February-2010 at 18:39

Ah we had our time I suppose and it happens.... they have played well for a good year and a half and I suppose it can't go on forever.

Not a good game for Ireland at all but sure such is life.

-------------

Date Posted: 13-February-2010 at 21:41
disapointed big time ,,too many mistakes in the Irish team,,Feckin French were class,.English next,can we get ourselves together for that ,a lot of players wounded

-------------

Date Posted: 15-February-2010 at 07:56

Disappointment all round

Thought the first 15 mins or so we had a great chance with turnover ball. Darc failing to ground it had an affect I feel.

All I know is how anyone caught anything was a mtstery as it was -3 in the Stad.

Changes were needed at half time and Kidney's reluctance to do so will be questioned.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-February-2010 at 01:59
Go on those boys in green

-------------

Date Posted: 01-March-2010 at 08:16

Well, thats better. What a gutsy performance by the lads. Great win over the old enemy on their home turf.

What do you think of that Munster twat trying to kill our BOD

-------------

Date Posted: 01-March-2010 at 09:13

Well, thats better. What a gutsy performance by the lads. Great win over the old enemy on their home turf.

Just laughing at this Gary reckon he was thinking ahead to the heinekin cup ??????????

Great game thought the lads showed great heart and a sweet victory.

-------------
Blondie

Posted By: muller
Date Posted: 02-March-2010 at 17:47

Poor start to the MCN fantasy league - one of my riders didn't even start. I created a team for L and she is the leader in our mini league.

What about Eugene Laverty winning the opening race in the SuperSport Championship? Starting where he left off last year. C'mon Toomebridge.

-------------
Life is for living

Posted By: DONDON
Date Posted: 05-March-2010 at 15:46
 I have just got 2 tickets for the Scotland Match .yippeee 

-------------
Grover from 73(old Grove)

In the year of the bankers and developers
When recession raged across the land
there were many driven by the hopelessness to set sail for the Americas and Australia

Date Posted: 05-March-2010 at 21:32
Have tickets for the Scotland game, its getting them for the Wales match thats dificult.
Regarding earlier post re:David Atuab, his appeal against his 70 week ban was rejected! should have increased it for his brass neck in appealing

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 13-March-2010 at 18:52
Ah what a game! Go on the boys in green! Great win for Paddy's week....

-------------

Date Posted: 14-March-2010 at 01:22

Wow 3 sheets to the wind spent the afternoon in Fado's at St. Baldricks...

-------------

Date Posted: 14-March-2010 at 09:32
Originally posted by Blondie Blondie wrote:

Just laughing at this Gary reckon he was thinking ahead to the heinekin cup ??????????

Great game thought the lads showed great heart and a sweet victory.

Just noticed this looking at game after. O'Driscoll was tripped by Flutey, hence he was on his knees for collision to occur.

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 14-March-2010 at 10:02
Good match yesterday. Well taken opportunities - Earls showing real class. Shane Williams dancing got him no where. Welsh lineout was a shambles Thomas "won" a welsh lineout without even jumping. Dont think he was expecting the ball. Monster game again from O'Connell.

Not sure whats up with Sexton's place kicking but I think he just needs more experience because his reading of the game, his kicking from hand, passing are all good. He does it for Leinster, so imagine it will come.

As for Scotland and England...... referee was very lenient. 2 south african referees but total lack of consistency of interpretation of laws. In Dublin Lee Byrne got swift yellow, Hartley tried same stunt got away with it. Borthwick was given 3 warnings yet failed to see an England player seeing a yellow.

And look at the photo at top of this article, the referee missed it. It happened very quickly so Max Evans was very lucky not to be joining his brother in hospital.

Borthwick should be cited. He is clearly not going for the ball, both his hands are going for the head. And his thumb is very close to Evans' eye.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/mar/13/england-scotland%20-six-nations-rugby - http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/mar/13/england-scotland -six-nations-rugby

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 15-March-2010 at 08:11

Agree finno. A workmanlike performance, never had to really step up a gear.

Glad they left johnny on though, he needed a confidence boost after those awful misses and he made two brilliant tackles, one a try saver that ROG wouldn't have made.

Looking forward to the Scots.

-------------

Posted By: Sister1
Date Posted: 15-March-2010 at 17:45
Was at the game on sat and workmanlike just about sums it up. Ireland contained Wales and their attack. Still not convinced by Sexton at this level, best give him another run out against Scotland and see if things improve.

-------------
Keep it Local, Keep it Near!

Date Posted: 15-March-2010 at 21:05

Altough I agreed with Kidney leaving sexton on purely from a confidence point of view,  he misses cost us 15 points and if ,and I know its a big if , the championship was to come down to   that it would have cost us dear.

-------------
Blondie

Date Posted: 16-March-2010 at 07:25
Agreed, but he is the future anf if we are to look at next year we need him. Unfortunaletly ROG and a few of the lads  ( the bull ) are showing signs of age ( says he )

-------------

Posted By: DAYO
Date Posted: 16-March-2010 at 14:04

I was in three Irish pubs over the weekend looking for the match

Pub 1   Asked the barman if he could put on the match ???? what match

Pub 2   Had 2 Chineez looking guy's behind the empty bar ( did'd bother )

Pub 3   "Flannigans"  Jammers, Match on, great Guinness, great match, settled in nicely beside some Welsh fans he he he    

-------------
Dayo

Grov'in 70 - 76

Date Posted: 16-March-2010 at 22:57

Agreed, but he is the future anf if we are to look at next year we need him. Unfortunaletly ROG and a few of the lads  ( the bull ) are showing signs of age ( says he )

Really gary I am suprised a young fella like yourself would even know what they were.............

-------------
Blondie

Date Posted: 17-March-2010 at 11:57
Sexton is the future. His all round play is so good, look at his confidence for the drop goal.
He's young at this level but he will come good I'm sure of it.And the Scots up next and hopefully a Triple Crown. this is not to be dismissed lightly, 5 in seven years is some achievement. A fitting way to finish up in Croke Park. And given the huge gap in capacity, it will be near impossible to get tickets for future matches.

For those new to rugby because of a Grand Slam(and I dont mean here) who were mouthing off after Paris (France were perfect and we needed to be at our best...) legends like Willie John Mc Bride, Mike Gibson never won a triple crown

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 19-March-2010 at 13:24
Agree finno - will be very hard to get tickets from now on, particulary in 'odd' years with France and England at home. Croker was a good home for 4 years.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-March-2010 at 13:44
Well, very disappointing end to the croker residency. Several factors to blame in my view - lineout (Best), kicking (Sexton), injuries (O'Driscoll, Darcy, Murphy). A bad day all round. Credit to the Scots though - 1 point from previous games, this was a big scalp.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-March-2010 at 16:03

uuuuuuuuuuuughhhhhhh !

Feel sick

-------------

Date Posted: 23-June-2010 at 21:38

Anybody watching the tennis match between Isner and Hahut at Wimbledon.

It stands at 59-59 in the 5th set and play was stopped due to bad light.

They will continue tomorrow which will be the 3rd day in which this match has been played.

Every tennis record has been broken.

Longest game in history (almost 10 hours) most aces by both players Isner 97 and Mahut 95, longest set in history.

Absolutely amazing stuff.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 24-June-2010 at 11:01
The 5th set alone is longer then the previous longest game (5hours and 12 minutes)

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 24-June-2010 at 11:27
Didn't catch any of it but reckon the fella drawn against the winner in the next round is happy enough.

Posted By: monarch
Date Posted: 24-June-2010 at 17:32
Longest Tennis Match Ever Ends After 11 Hours

American tennis player John Isner has beaten Frenchman Nicolas Mahut at Wimbledon in the

longest tennis match in the history of the sport.

The record-breaking match lasted for a total of 11 hours and five minutes - a punishing 665 minutes.

The battle concluded after play stretched over three days.

Isner won 3 sets to 2, with the last set being won with after a staggering total of 70 games to 68.

The end came as Mahut approached the net and Isner made a passing shot.

Barely believing the match had finished, Isner rolled on the lawn surface before grasping his head between his hands.

He trotted slowly towards the net to acknowledge Mahut's effort, as former stars like John McEnroe

applauded from the small spectator stands.

With tears in his eyes a gracious Mahut later congratulated Isner and thanked spectators and the organisers.

Officials have planned on a special presentation for the pair to mark the milestone - and for the chair umpire Mo Layani.

After the match both players posed for for photos next to the monumental scoreboard total displayed on Court 18.

-------------
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in

Date Posted: 24-June-2010 at 21:28

Makes a mockery of people who think tennis stars are wimps.

These guys showed passion, strength, fitness and desire beyond belief.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Posted By: monarch
Date Posted: 19-September-2010 at 15:45
Katie Taylor wins 3rd World Championship title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ-5p2Rk0q0&feature=related - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ-5p2Rk0q0&feature=related

-------------
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in

Date Posted: 02-October-2010 at 21:41

Enjoyed that rugby match tonight.

Well done Leinster.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Posted By: muller
Date Posted: 03-October-2010 at 11:26
I switched it off when O'Driscoll the the ball straight into touch. Even from the kick-off we were besot with errors. Munster were camped in our 22 for most of the first half and I thought it only a matter of time before the floodgates opened. Munster backs didn't perform. A great try saved many blushes but, loathe though I am to say it and from what bits I saw flicking back from the ads and the pundits of the Premiership, the better team didn't win.

-------------
Life is for living

Date Posted: 03-October-2010 at 15:22
Originally posted by muller muller wrote:

I switched it off when O'Driscoll the the ball straight into touch. Even from the kick-off we were besot with errors. Munster were camped in our 22 for most of the first half and I thought it only a matter of time before the floodgates opened. Munster backs didn't perform. A great try saved many blushes but, loathe though I am to say it and from what bits I saw flicking back from the ads and the pundits of the Premiership, the better team didn't win.

What game were you watching?

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 03-October-2010 at 15:26

What a night, and what an atmosphere at the "Insurance PLC Stadium" great result. Lots to work on too many knock ons but thats for another day. Great effort from the forwards and  in the second half put huge pressure on Munster. a night's work to be proud of. AND Leinster were the better over the 80 minutes. O'Leary not his best game and think it was a mistake not to bring on Stringer towards the end when they were chasing the game.
Stringer would'nt have kicked to touch with time up, what a basic error by O'Leary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U01ec2GUZuA - O'Driscoll try

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 05-October-2010 at 12:22

Sad to hear of the passing of Moss Keane.

As I'm sure some of you know  I wouldn't be a rugby fan at all but this fella was a genuine Irish Sporting legend...............but a really rubbish golfer .

May he Rest in Peace.

Date Posted: 05-October-2010 at 18:26

Echo that Rolo.

Only 62.

Loved Moss Keane, a legend.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 05-October-2010 at 21:45

Before my time, but Moss always had a good name whenever mentioned. Sad day for his family and i'm sure many friends and fans.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-October-2010 at 22:27

I had the privilige of spending a couple of hours in his company a long time ago. He will live long in the memory of all who met him or who saw him play. I will never forget the image of him with the ball in one hand and determination in his eyes heading for the line.

A true legend of the game.

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 13-October-2010 at 20:09
Just got yet another email from Leinster Rugby. They still cant sell all the tickets for the November Internationals.

Great game and great result last Saturday.

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 13-October-2010 at 20:24

I had the privilige of spending a couple of hours in his company a long time ago. He will live long in the memory of all who met him or who saw him play. I will never forget the image of him with the ball in one hand and determination in his eyes heading for the line.

A true legend of the game.

Great summary Finno, that was the man...........

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 14-October-2010 at 08:20
Read Moss Keane's book - lovely read. Bought it for the Da for Christmas, then swiped it as soon as I could get away with!

He once considered becoming a priest - and said, that he would have made a good one. "Full of compassion and altar wine". A truly great expression....

An old style giant of a man - gentle and wise and seemingly incredibly popular with one and all. Even Neil Francis had good things to say about him and he wouldn't always come across as a great fan of Munster rugby

-------------

Date Posted: 16-October-2010 at 21:35

Leinster were superb tonight.

Not an expert but something like 20 phases against them at the very end and never gave in or gave away a penalty.

And Munster won as well as far as I know.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 17-October-2010 at 22:37
Originally posted by Biker Pat Biker Pat wrote:

Leinster were superb tonight.

Not an expert but something like 20 phases against them at the very end and never gave in or gave away a penalty.

And Munster won as well as far as I know.

30 phases and squeaky bum time at the end but great defending. Sexton from first minute shimmy was on fire.
Next up, away to Connacht.  

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 17-October-2010 at 22:39

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/irfus-hard-sell-over-tickets-leaves-clubs-counting-cost-2383068.html - 3 emails (hasnt happened before) offering me tickets for these games

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 18-October-2010 at 08:10

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/irfus-hard-sell-over-tickets-leaves-clubs-counting-cost-2383068.html - IRFU's hard sell over tickets leaves clubs counting cost

Have had 3 emails (hasnt happened before) offering me tickets for these games

THe clubs are really being hit with this. If they return tickets for the Autumn Internationals they same amount will be deducted from the six nations allocation

Blackmail or what......

-------------

Date Posted: 25-October-2010 at 22:04

Came accross this (from 2009)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDNcbcSq3pQ -

Date Posted: 26-October-2010 at 16:41

-------------

Date Posted: 26-October-2010 at 17:39

Came accross this (from 2009)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDNcbcSq3pQ - - Hitler reacts to Leinster beating Munster

Funny

Brill Dec

-------------

Date Posted: 26-October-2010 at 18:44
Just got another messege. Still trying to sell the november tickets 

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 30-October-2010 at 20:24

Can somebody please explain the logic behind the rugby scrum rules re this touch, pause..............etc.....

It appears to me to be a disaster...................

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 31-October-2010 at 10:02

Clubs%20see%20through%20IRFU%27s%20restricted%20view%20of%20ticket%20mess%20Putting%20bums%20on%20seats%20for%20international%20fixtures%20at%20the%20revamped%20Lansdowne%20Road%20remains%20a%20disaster,%20writes%20Brendan%20Fanning - Clubs%20see%20through%20IRFU%27s%20restricted%20view%20of%20ticket%20mess%20Putting%20bums%20on%20seats%20for%20international%20fixtures%20at%20the%20revamped%20Lansdowne%20Road%20remains%20a%20disaster,%20writes%20Brendan%20Fanning -

Date Posted: 01-November-2010 at 08:56

I read that article yesterday.

It really is a disgrace the way they are going on.

Who designed the thing in the first place anyway. It seems mad that there are 700 from which you can see nothing.

Thank God for the RDS. I was there Saturday evening for the Edinburgh match and the atmosphere was electric.

-------------

Date Posted: 01-November-2010 at 10:12
Originally posted by Biker Pat Biker Pat wrote:

Can somebody please explain the logic behind the rugby scrum rules re this touch, pause..............etc.....

It appears to me to be a disaster...................

“A scrum is formed from at least eight players from each team. They join together to close around the ball which is placed on the ground. The front row of players must be interlocking, which serves to make a tunnel between the players. The players use their feet to control the ball. A scrummage is always used to restart play after an infringement occurs.”

-          That is a dictionary definition.

The reality is that as players have got bigger, stronger the “collision” or impact is more like trucks colliding. My understanding is that in order to lessen the “hit” the referees have tried to control the impact. A couple of years ago it was decided to instruck the scrum: ” touch”, “pause”, and “engage”.  Now we have gone to ” touch” ,“pause”,  “and have a cup of tea*” and then “engage”.  The duration of the pause varies,  and Instead of restarting the game now, in general, just leads to a free kick or a penalty.

*Bob Casey of London Irish coined the phrase

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 01-November-2010 at 10:20
The following link may be of assistance

http://www.irblaws.com/EN/downloads/ - Laws of Rugby Union 2010

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 02-November-2010 at 10:16

IRFU climb down over ticketing 'error'

GERRY THORNLEY

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/1102/1224282486901.html - -  IN WHAT may well be the biggest climbdown in its 131-year history, the IRFU late last night conceded that “it had made an error in its ticketing strategy” for the Guinness International Series and vowed it will review the policy for the Six Nations.

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 03-November-2010 at 11:19
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/autumn-internationals/orsquodriscoll-pleads-with-irish-fans-but-springboks-game-wonrsquot-be-sellout-2405107.html - O’Driscoll pleads with Irish fans but Springboks game won’t be sell-out

-------------
A man must have a code

Posted By: DONDON
Date Posted: 03-November-2010 at 11:54
Subject: 15 good reasons why GAA is better than soccer

1) The GAA players who played in front of 82,000 + crowd at the weekend

will be teaching your children, selling you meat or fixing your drains on

Monday morning. The soccer player who plays in front of 80,000 will be

moaning about playing too many games and will be trying to sell you his

personalised brand of leisure wear

2) GAA nicknames are better. Soccer players just add a Y to their surnames

3) Dublin vs Meath is a real derby. What does Utd. Vs City mean to
Berbatov or Tevez

4) How many soccer players does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Answer: 11. One to stick it in and ten to surround and kiss him after he

does it

5) Soccer players go to the papers after a game. GAA players go to the pub

6) John Terry would run a mile if he came up against Francie Bellew

7) GAA teams are numbered 1-15. A soccer team reads like the lottery

results.

8) All soccer players wear shin pads. Some hurlers wear helmets

9) Television runs soccer. Schoolteachers run the GAA

10) The GAA is about where you're from. Soccer is about who you like

11) No segregation at GAA games

12) No soccer team has a nickname quite as good as the Fighting Cocks of

Carlow

13) Bubble perms never made it to Croke Park

14) A scoreless draw in the GAA would be quite a novelty

15) Roman Abramovich can buy the League. You can't buy Sam (Sam is the name of the All Ireland Football Champions Trophy)

-------------
Grover from 73(old Grove)

In the year of the bankers and developers
When recession raged across the land
there were many driven by the hopelessness to set sail for the Americas and Australia

Date Posted: 03-November-2010 at 12:15

Originally posted by DONDON DONDON wrote:

6) John Terry would run a mile if he came up against Francie Bellew

One of my heroes..............Francie.........not John Terry.

Was sitting about three rows from the front of the Davin during the 2003 Final when he was marking Owen Mulligan from Tyrone.One of the best Off the Ball battles I've ever seen.

Date Posted: 03-November-2010 at 22:53

Lee Westwood is now the world number 1 ranked golfer taking over from Tiger last monday.

He could however have the shortest reign as number 1 in history because it is so close at the top of the rankings - any one of 4 players (Westwood, Woods, Kaymer, Mickelson) could be number 1 by Monday if they win the big tournament in Shanghai this weekend. 

-------------
UA

Date Posted: 19-December-2010 at 23:25

Congratulations to Co. Antrim's Tony McCoy on being elected BBC Sports Personality of the year tonight.

Not a big Racing fan but his career has been phenomenal,loads of winners and loads of broken bones.

Congrats to my own personal favourite Sportsman, Phil Taylor, for coming second !

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net