Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sport miscellaneous

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 19>
Author
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2010 at 22:22
Ah, Phil the Power. It's round about now I get very upset about having got rid of Sky Sports last year. The Ashes and the darts - what more could a man wish for with no work to get up for. Cans of beer and Sky Sports at Christmas - heaven 
I'm searching for that cash I should have saved for the crash
Sponsored Links

Uncle Arthur View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
80-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2011 at 19:06

Just settling down to get ready for the world darts final on Sky.

Gary "Bravedart" Anderson of Scotland against Adrian "Jackpot" Lewis of England. Both playing incredibly well and the form players of the moment. Should be a classic.

UA

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity but an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"

whippersnapper View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2011 at 22:56
Still missing Sky Sports - took a quick look at the Lakeside on BBC to see Wolfie Adams but it just ain't the same.....

Bravedart - love it. I love the sheer gaudiness of the affair.

I see Lewis won it - first set average of 123? Bloody Nora - that's some arrows....
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2011 at 12:57

Best man won it in the end. Blistering start from Jackpot with a 9 Darter in the 3rd leg but Anderson kept plugging away and managed to get it back to 6 - 5.

Lewis has this turbo gear where he can power ( 'scuse the analogy ) through a set in rapid time by ramming in 180s and 140s and just had a little too much for the Scot.

Top quality entertainment though,although ( and it pains me to say this ) think it's time for Sid to hang up the mic .

80-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2011 at 15:26

I agree with the "Sid to go sentiment". He used to be funny but now it is just irritating.

Delighted Lewis won. Has matured a lot from the cocky upstart of 4 years ago. I jumped off my seat when he threw the 9 darter. What a way to start the sporting new year! 

UA

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity but an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"

monarch View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2011 at 23:39
Originally posted by muller muller wrote:

Can't find the thread for other sports. I've been away too long

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/mar/02/ireland-cricket- england-victory-bangalore

What a brilliant victory!

Another notable success at the week-end in Australia. Eugene Laverty achieves 4th place in his first race in World Superbikes (15th in the second race, but I'll ask him about that on saturday at the bike show in the RDS)

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/world-sup erbikes-laverty-dazzles-on-debut-15098266.html

Is this the thread you were

looking for Brian.

Edited by monarch
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2011 at 23:49
I never had much time for the flannel fools

game but love the result.
muller View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2011 at 08:38

Thanks, Frank.

I watched the highlights alst night. We were awesome and the English were in total disarray. Delighted to see the Sky presenters were so complimentary. Would love to have been there

Life is for living
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2011 at 12:46

Really exciting stuff yesterday, and that was only the highlights.

Very good interview with Brendan O'Brien, father of Kevin and Niall after the game. Brendan played for Ireland for years throughout the 70s etc and could hardly have dreamed that we would beat England in the World Cup,let alone that his young fella would be the star of the show.

Echo that Brian, looked like savage crack.

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2011 at 15:06
Kit supplier's advert backfires spectacularly

England's kit supplier has been left with egg on its face after presumptuous plans for a 'Grand Slam Champions' campaign backfired.

The men in white had been odds-on favourites to beat Ireland in Dublin on Saturday and secure their first Grand Slam since 2003, but an inspired Irish team ended that dream as they smashed England 24-8.

The brilliance of the Irish taught a costly lesson to England kit supplier Nike as its promotional video hailing England as 'Grand Slam Champions 2011' was leaked on to the internet - as was a pre-match internal email seeming to take victory for granted.

The RFU expressed their dismay over the leak, with a statement reading: "It is disappointing that details of Nike's internal planning has got into the public domain.

"In no way did the RFU or the England team underestimate the challenge that the Ireland team would pose.

"We were well beaten by a team who played better and we have the utmost respect for (Ireland coach) Declan Kidney and the Irish players."

The Daily Telegraph reported that the video was just the start, with 5,000 limited edition Grand Slam T-shirts produced and a massive advertising campaign - due to begin immediately after the match - ready to heave into motion.

Those T-shirts are now redundant, while the campaign was hastily cancelled.

A leaked internal memo from Nike read: "We have commissioned a special limited edition T-shirt to celebrate the England Grand Slam 2011, which we will give to the players when we win against Ireland on Saturday.

"The T-shirt is inspired by the iconic English rose (like the kit) and 5K units will go into retail at the RFU and NikeTown London after the game.

"In the spirit of owning sporting moments, we will also execute a burst of Digital Out-of-Home activity that will start right on the final whistle in over 20 of London's most prominent underground stations through Digital Escalator Panels and Cross-Track Projections."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ5VT_u3Lb4

Edited by monarch
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2011 at 17:48
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2011 at 20:21

Watching the Munster v Leinster game.

Can someone explain to me why the crouch, touch, pause, and engage stuff was introduced at scrums.

It seems to lead to do many scrum resets and the refs seem to get a kick out of the pause part.

What happened the old get down and get stuck in at the scrum.
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
whippersnapper View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2011 at 21:19
Not an expert Pat, but the scrum is an area of constant lawbreaking - fellas pushing before they should, fellas pushing crooked, fellas not staying engaged etc etc

Sounds to me like most front former front rowers hardly know what's going on let alone referees - certainly Brian Moore appears to have a rather different interpretation to most refs

Think it's a case of rule makers trying to sort out rule breaking with more rules
DONDON View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
73-77

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DONDON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2011 at 16:13

Originally posted by Biker Pat Biker Pat wrote:

Watching the Munster v Leinster game.

Can someone explain to me why the crouch, touch, pause, and engage stuff was introduced at scrums.

It seems to lead to do many scrum resets and the refs seem to get a kick out of the pause part.

What happened the old get down and get stuck in at the scrum.

Does this simplify it Pat 

Grover from 73(old Grove)

In the year of the bankers and developers
When recession raged across the land
there were many driven by the hopelessness to set sail for the Americas and Australia
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2011 at 18:56

Love it Dondon

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
ShortHairHippie View Drop Down
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2011 at 00:11
so the sporting world lost 2 figures well known to the sporting world on Sunday 01/05/2011... the voice of snooker for many years Ted Lowe,and former heavyweight boxer Henry Cooper...they were names I grew up with... R.I.P.
upon us all,a little rain must fall
DONDON View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
73-77

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DONDON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2011 at 12:50

Seve takes a turn for the worse

Golf: Seve Ballesteros has suffered a “severe deterioration” in his condition, his family said this morning. The 54-year-old Spanish legend, a five-times major winner, had surgery on a brain tumour in late 2008 followed by a course of chemotherapy and had been recuperating at his home in northern Spain.

"The family will provide information on his state of health when more news becomes available," said a statement on the player's personal website. His family also expressed their thanks for the support they had received and added that any updates would be published on the website.

Ballesteros had four operations to remove the tumour following his collapse at Madrid airport in October 2008. He appeared in public for the first time following the surgery in May 2009 when he went to watch local soccer team Racing Santander and was given a standing ovation.

Regarded by many as golf's greatest shot-maker, Ballesteros won 87 titles worldwide, 50 of them on the European Tour. A winner of three British Opens and two US Masters titles, he also helped revive Europe's fortunes in the biennial Ryder Cup team competition.

Ballesteros turned professional in 1974 at the age of 16 and made his first huge impact two years later by finishing second in the British Open alongside Jack Nicklaus at Royal Birkdale.

His first major title came in the 1979 British Open at Royal Lytham, he then became Masters champion in 1980 and 1983 and lifted the Claret Jug again at St Andrews in 1984 — his greatest moment really — and back at Lytham in 1988.

He retired from the sport in 2007 following years of battling an arthritic back and knee problems. He was planning a farewell appearance for fans at last year’s British Open at St Andrews — not in the main event, but in the four-hole Champions Challenge — but was not well enough to travel.

Only last month Phil Mickelson decided on a Spanish menu for the Champions Dinner at The Masters in Augusta in honour of Ballesteros.

I hope he pulls through

there were many driven by the hopelessness to set sail for the Americas and Australia
DONDON View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
73-77

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DONDON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2011 at 09:07
A very sad day for Golf.Seve died this morning God rest his Soul.
 A true Gentleman and an inspiration to those who play Golf.
I remember shaking his hand during the Carrolls Irish Open,back in the 1970s

Edited by DONDON

80-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2011 at 14:39
RIP Seve. He was the reason a whole generation started playing golf.
UA

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2011 at 10:50

Agreed with all comments re Seve.

Not a golfer myself but he transended all sports and was a true gentleman.

RIP Seve.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 19>