Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sport miscellaneous

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 19>
Author
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2010 at 11:57
Sexton is the future. His all round play is so good, look at his confidence for the drop goal.
He's young at this level but he will come good I'm sure of it.And the Scots up next and hopefully a Triple Crown. this is not to be dismissed lightly, 5 in seven years is some achievement. A fitting way to finish up in Croke Park. And given the huge gap in capacity, it will be near impossible to get tickets for future matches.

For those new to rugby because of a Grand Slam(and I dont mean here) who were mouthing off after Paris (France were perfect and we needed to be at our best...) legends like Willie John Mc Bride, Mike Gibson never won a triple crown
A man must have a code
Sponsored Links

Sister1 View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
88-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2010 at 13:24
Agree finno - will be very hard to get tickets from now on, particulary in 'odd' years with France and England at home. Croker was a good home for 4 years.
Keep it Local, Keep it Near!
Sister1 View Drop Down
88-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2010 at 13:44
Well, very disappointing end to the croker residency. Several factors to blame in my view - lineout (Best), kicking (Sexton), injuries (O'Driscoll, Darcy, Murphy). A bad day all round. Credit to the Scots though - 1 point from previous games, this was a big scalp.
Aries View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2010 at 16:03

uuuuuuuuuuuughhhhhhh !

Feel sick

THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE
BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2010 at 21:38

Anybody watching the tennis match between Isner and Hahut at Wimbledon.

It stands at 59-59 in the 5th set and play was stopped due to bad light.

They will continue tomorrow which will be the 3rd day in which this match has been played.

Every tennis record has been broken.

Longest game in history (almost 10 hours) most aces by both players Isner 97 and Mahut 95, longest set in history.

Absolutely amazing stuff.

May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2010 at 11:01
The 5th set alone is longer then the previous longest game (5hours and 12 minutes)
A man must have a code
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2010 at 11:27
Didn't catch any of it but reckon the fella drawn against the winner in the next round is happy enough.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2010 at 17:32
Longest Tennis Match Ever Ends After 11 Hours

American tennis player John Isner has beaten Frenchman Nicolas Mahut at Wimbledon in the

longest tennis match in the history of the sport.

The record-breaking match lasted for a total of 11 hours and five minutes - a punishing 665 minutes.

The battle concluded after play stretched over three days.

Isner won 3 sets to 2, with the last set being won with after a staggering total of 70 games to 68.

The end came as Mahut approached the net and Isner made a passing shot.

Barely believing the match had finished, Isner rolled on the lawn surface before grasping his head between his hands.

He trotted slowly towards the net to acknowledge Mahut's effort, as former stars like John McEnroe

applauded from the small spectator stands.

With tears in his eyes a gracious Mahut later congratulated Isner and thanked spectators and the organisers.

Officials have planned on a special presentation for the pair to mark the milestone - and for the chair umpire Mo Layani.

After the match both players posed for for photos next to the monumental scoreboard total displayed on Court 18.

Edited by monarch
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2010 at 21:28

Makes a mockery of people who think tennis stars are wimps.

These guys showed passion, strength, fitness and desire beyond belief.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2010 at 15:45
Katie Taylor wins 3rd World Championship title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ-5p2Rk0q0&feature=related
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2010 at 21:41

Enjoyed that rugby match tonight.

Well done Leinster.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
muller View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2010 at 11:26
I switched it off when O'Driscoll the the ball straight into touch. Even from the kick-off we were besot with errors. Munster were camped in our 22 for most of the first half and I thought it only a matter of time before the floodgates opened. Munster backs didn't perform. A great try saved many blushes but, loathe though I am to say it and from what bits I saw flicking back from the ads and the pundits of the Premiership, the better team didn't win.
Life is for living
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2010 at 15:22
Originally posted by muller muller wrote:

I switched it off when O'Driscoll the the ball straight into touch. Even from the kick-off we were besot with errors. Munster were camped in our 22 for most of the first half and I thought it only a matter of time before the floodgates opened. Munster backs didn't perform. A great try saved many blushes but, loathe though I am to say it and from what bits I saw flicking back from the ads and the pundits of the Premiership, the better team didn't win.

What game were you watching?

A man must have a code
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2010 at 15:26

What a night, and what an atmosphere at the "Insurance PLC Stadium" great result. Lots to work on too many knock ons but thats for another day. Great effort from the forwards and  in the second half put huge pressure on Munster. a night's work to be proud of. AND Leinster were the better over the 80 minutes. O'Leary not his best game and think it was a mistake not to bring on Stringer towards the end when they were chasing the game.
Stringer would'nt have kicked to touch with time up, what a basic error by O'Leary.

O'Driscoll try

Edited by finno
A man must have a code
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2010 at 12:22

Sad to hear of the passing of Moss Keane.

As I'm sure some of you know  I wouldn't be a rugby fan at all but this fella was a genuine Irish Sporting legend...............but a really rubbish golfer .

May he Rest in Peace.

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2010 at 18:26

Echo that Rolo.

Only 62.

Loved Moss Keane, a legend.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Sister1 View Drop Down
88-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2010 at 21:45

Before my time, but Moss always had a good name whenever mentioned. Sad day for his family and i'm sure many friends and fans.

finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2010 at 22:27

I had the privilige of spending a couple of hours in his company a long time ago. He will live long in the memory of all who met him or who saw him play. I will never forget the image of him with the ball in one hand and determination in his eyes heading for the line.

A true legend of the game.

A man must have a code
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2010 at 20:09
Just got yet another email from Leinster Rugby. They still cant sell all the tickets for the November Internationals.

Great game and great result last Saturday.
A man must have a code
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2010 at 20:24
Originally posted by finno finno wrote:

I had the privilige of spending a couple of hours in his company a long time ago. He will live long in the memory of all who met him or who saw him play. I will never forget the image of him with the ball in one hand and determination in his eyes heading for the line.

A true legend of the game.

Great summary Finno, that was the man...........

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 19>