Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > Songs from The Grove
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your favourite Grove Song

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2009 at 21:58
Its a great song (the album its taken from isnt half bad either) - I think from the amount of times people refer to it on this site, it must be one of our Grove all time fave slowies!? 
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Sponsored Links

Aries View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2009 at 08:05
Every slow song seems to have been a Grove favorite, I wonder why he he he
THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE
BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2009 at 08:35

Originally posted by Aries Aries wrote:

Every slow song seems to have been a Grove favorite, I wonder why he he he

Because over time we all have memories associated with the songs

A man must have a code
Tara View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
89-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2009 at 09:23

Just heard 'Owner of a lonely heart' on the radio this morning.  I don't know who sang it but that takes me back to 1989!!!!

Tara
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2009 at 10:04
Originally posted by Tara Tara wrote:

Just heard 'Owner of a lonely heart' on the radio this morning.  I don't know who sang it but that takes me back to 1989!!!!

YES

A man must have a code
ShortHairHippie View Drop Down
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2009 at 15:25

that was Yes who sang that,and a good tune it is,and welcome to the site Tara
upon us all,a little rain must fall
Aries View Drop Down
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2009 at 15:55
Believe it or not , that was the first record to be purely digital.
THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE
BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2009 at 16:19
Originally posted by Aries Aries wrote:

Believe it or not , that was the first record to be purely digital.

I dont believe it    
BrendanFella View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
1967-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanFella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2009 at 17:36
I don't believe it either...Didn't somebody else claim Bruce Springstein....LOL
BrendanFella

IRISH DIPLOMACY IS....The ability to tell a man to Go To Hell so that He looks forward to making the trip.

Tara View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
89-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2009 at 09:47

Oh God I have another one they are playing 'Talking Heads' Psycho Killer on the radio now.  That reminds me of the Grove so much and before that they played Hazel O'Connor's 'Will You?' 

I think I'm listening to the radio too much, have to do some work now!!  Bye Bye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tara
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2009 at 17:58

Oh God I have another one they are playing 'Talking Heads' Psycho Killer on the radio now.  That reminds me of the Grove so much and before that they played Hazel O'Connor's 'Will You?' 

I think I'm listening to the radio too much, have to do some work now!!  Bye Bye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jaysus missus,u have a great job,listening to songs on the radio,you should try and make Grove reunion on 13th June,then you will get to hear all the songs   
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2011 at 02:20
"Woodstock" - Matthews Southern Comfort

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn9hi9fAwUQ
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
fairy queen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fairy queen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2011 at 21:46
Husband just mentioned to me that Alan Parsons was a producer on Dark Side of the Moonwhich of course reminded me of "old and wise".......  Am I dreaming or was that a slow set favourite between 84 and 87?
I wanted to be loved but just got laughed at instead
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2011 at 22:04

Way after my time FQ............The Alan Parsons Project were prominent about that time but I cannot say if they were played in the Grove..........other members going to the Grove at that time will confirm.
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2011 at 08:28
You're not dreaming at all Fairy Queen.  I definitely remember "Old and Wise" at the Grove.  I was in the process of collecting the singles I remember from 80-86 a few years back, and I got an e-mail from an old friend of mine (Ian Little) reminding me of this one.  "Eye in the Sky" was another APP song he played.
fairy queen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fairy queen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2011 at 18:24
Ha so I wasn't going mad.  Also the much lamented MTUSA (remember that lads in the days before MTV? ) used to show "Don't answer me".......   Fab video and 2.5m hits cannot be wrong....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALC7kt6iUHY

I wanted to be loved but just got laughed at instead
Secret Agent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Secret Agent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2011 at 18:58
Hi Tara...yep I still love listening to Will You..fantastic classic.
I have to say that I'd nearly break my neck and would leave mid ANYTHING to get up to More than a Feeling...or any Zeppelin number or Doors ah jaysus this is too difficult!
well you can ride on the crest of a wave if, that's where you want to be
Sister1 View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
Really Really Senior Member
88-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sister1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2011 at 13:06
I wanted to mention REM in some capacity now they have split.

From my Grove days, I remember Cecil playing three REM songs - The One I Love, Orange Crush and Stand. From that, I investigated their back catalogue and became a fan. I saw them live 4 times over the years.  Strangely, I felt relief yesterday when they split. I have felt since Bill Berry left in 1997 that the balance was wrong, so wrong at times as to do damage to their reputation and back catalogue. My favourite period is their IRS years, '83 - 87, pre signing to Warners. An example of a band who built up gradually through constant tourning and then were ready when stardom happened. How times have changed in the music world and the world generally. Now people expect the instant success - the first album needs to be a sucess or you get dropped by your lablel. Talent shows don't help and encourage mediocrity, stifling the real organic stuff which by definition will remain underground. REM were an example of art-rock indie would maintain integrity upon signing to a major label. They come accross as decent guys. I should be sad at their split, but am not - the timing is right and we still have the music, 31 years of it. Again, thanks to Cecil I discovered a real gem.
Keep it Local, Keep it Near!
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2011 at 19:18
Great post, Sister1! Smile
Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2011 at 00:09
"Stand" sounded a bit like Bubble Gum Music to me when I first heard it. I'm surprised Cecil would have played itSmile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>