The GAA site

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5758596061 95>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
whippersnapper View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2010 at 13:45
Rolo - respect to you for keeping the flag flying. Was horrified to hear the score as well, but in hindsight it's probably not that much of a surprise and in some ways may even be just what the boys need? We're no longer a surprise packet and we did a job on Davey's lot last year when they went to the boxing the night before (or am I mixing things up?) and we appear to have struggled against Galway.

Apparently Daly was tearing some of the lads a new one at various stages from the line.

Sad to hear the Limerick thing - yet another county tearing itself apart.

In much more important news, we got back to hurling at the Naomh Barrog Mini Leagues last weekend - there was a few wild pulls from some of the 6 year olds. Some of them are coming on in leaps and bounds in both codes. Great fun - I only went to drop down the bibs because Rionach was sick, but couldn't resist staying on.....

I'm searching for that cash I should have saved for the crash
Sponsored Links

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2010 at 13:17

Certainly didn't see that thumping against Waterford coming.

Seemed to be a throw back to the bad old days of Dublin Hurling. All of the players seemed to be off the pace from the start and despite some decent passages of play,we were very short of scoring forwards. With Tipperary due in PP next week a vast improvement is required and in fairness,will probably be forthcoming.

Still, with Castledermot and Carlow now bypassed,the journey down was dead handy,just two hours.

Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2010 at 19:35
Auld fella was in PP for the small ball yesterday - said it was bitterly cauld and that Dubs were well beaten. But, there's still good reason to hope that they can do us proud again.

As for the big ball I couldn't give a fiddler's about the champo - I want us to beat some big teams in the league. The summer can look after itself. We are in no position to be turning our nose up at the league - that was Giller's biggest mistake last year in my opinion.

Big game coming up in a couple of weeks against Mayo in Castlebar - that'll tell us a lot about the two teams.

Something in me likes Giller - he gets a hard time from some of the experts on the resser site, but I reckon he's breaking eggs trying to make an omelette. He hasn't quite got the omelette yet, but I reckon he's doing the right things to get there - that means putting some fellas out to pasture, upsetting some and changing others.

Fergie at ManU didn't get where he is today without firing out McGrath, Whiteside and co early doors, later Ince, Kanchelskis and Sharpe

Same with any great manager - he puts a team together rather than pandering to individual's weaknesses

If Bryan Cullen for example can adress his weaknesses he could become a top quality centre back - but he has stood still for the last few years whereas Dooher has learned to shoot, Declan O'Sullivan has learned to scrap. The best in the country work harder than anyone else

I'm not optimistic come summer but winning games is a great habit

(says he from a soapbox who hasn't seen more than ten minutes of the two league games so far )
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2010 at 14:13

Two from two for Giller and his new team, can't argue with that.

Derry hammered us last year and while I know they were missing their biggest scoring threats they gave Tyrone a good thumping last week.

Starting to like the look of us this year,I know I'm always an optimist where the footballers are concerned but some of the performances from the new lads over the last two weeks has been pretty good.

We look like we might have a full back line,most of whom play there for their clubs which is the most important thing for me at this stage. We've also got some serious competition for the old guard who need to be shaken up a little.

Small steps but important ones nonetheless.

Hurling League starts next weekend and hoping that the inclusion of the College players will give a boost to a very laboured looking Dublin team who were well beaten by Galway yesterday. Still with seven fellas to come into the team we should be able to give Waterford a decent game.

joey the lips View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2010 at 13:34
Not going to Parnell tonite ,but will head down for hurling match 2moro,,,Footballers are already under pressure to put back to back performances together,no Bradley brothers for Derry tonite ,anyroad good luck to both codes
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2010 at 21:35
Galvin was up to his old tricks of assaulting the ref towards the end

We wobbled towards the end but we hung on to win against a big team - that's huge

I have posted here before ab out treating the league seriously - they may have been missing half a team and not reached full fitness, but neither have we. So to get a win gives us half a chance in the summer

Loved the way we killed the game with fouls and cynicism for the last five minutes - that's a mentality we need big time.

Might take a donder down to PP to catch the Derry game this weekend, but I may have run out of passes by then what with being out the next three nights
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2010 at 16:51

Ah, not too much malice in the verbals Joey,usual stuff from the Yerra Yerras.

Yerra,it's only the league and weren't we missing mosht of our team etc,etc.

The Kerry people around me were decent enough,most of them wishing us a safe journey home and all that.

Great weekend on way too.

Derry in the Football League on Saturday evening and Walsh Cup Final against Galway on Sunday Afternoon.

Edited by Rolo
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2010 at 16:19

Thought Fennell had a super game ,,really hope he is cleared to keep playing,kicked three excellent scores

1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2010 at 16:17

Fairplay to ya Rolo,,a true blue ..me i watched it on TnaG,,great excitment till the final whistle,,1982 since we had a win against them down there.It was a very hard hitting game and as you say Kerry did not hand the Dubs the win they had to fight them all the way,a lot of positives to be taken from this ,but as Gilroy said ,we got to do it again next week or we are right back to the drawing board ..from what i could see there was a much verbels going on in the stands between both supporters as there was on the pitch

Great win for Dalys men down in Gorey ,,and had to hang on with just 13 players for the last 10 mins or so ,,so all in all a good weekend for the Dubs

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2010 at 23:55

Know it's only February and it's only the league and it was only half a Kerry team,but don't try telling me that they didn't want it as much as we did. O'Mahony, Galvin, Griffin, Dec O'Sullivan, Donaghy gave it everything today and our fellas stood up to it. Great performances from the new full back line,from Fennell, McCauley, Hubbard, Kev Mac and Cian O'Sullivan. Granted,there were some scary moments but a win in Killarney is worth savouring.

Made the 400 mile round trip very enjoyable.

Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2010 at 14:53
Had investigated heading down to Killarney for the game, but was in Copenhagen with work from Wednesday to Friday and am heading over to The Arsenal on Wednesday. Didn't have the brownie points.

As chance would have it, my great aunt passed away and the funeral was this morning if I had been making it down.

Gilroy needs to be very brave - there's a lot of very good footabllers who have consistently lost over the last few years while on the dublin panel. To win, he needs to ignore everyone and pick different players, even if they're not as good football wise, but the they need to be stronger mentally.

Giller will be lacerated for dropping people's favourites (as he was for Rhino and Whelo last year) but he needs to make HIS team.

The Fennel saga is a disaster - doesn't help that Giller is from one of the clubs involved.

I hope I'm wrong but I fear for both codes this year - footballers have under performed for years and the hurlers are no longer a surprise package although they have more talent and better management I reckon.
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2010 at 23:21
Ever the optimist R. Was in PP for the meath game and really enjoyed despite us throwing away our lead in the last couple of mins. Thought Mcmanamon  had a great game. But as you say the O'Byrne cup is over and so begins the league hoping to get to all the home games this year . You heading to Kilarney R ?????????
Blondie
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it !
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2010 at 16:46

Not expecting too much either,although having said that,not too upset by the team chosen for Killarney on Sunday.

Ross O'Carroll was a cert to be given a shot at 3,Philly Mac had a super Championship for Ballymun,reminiscent of the great Paddy Christie and young Rory was always on Giller's radar after his performances in Croke's All Ireland run.

Not sure about Cian O'Sullivan at 6,think he'd be better on the wing. Fennell had to get a shot after missing all of last year and wondering if Ross will switch with McCauley.

Bit short in the scoring stakes and a very defensive looking Half Frward line I think,but with Berno, Alan and Keaney to come back into the team it's not all bad.

Looking forward to this now.

Up the Dubs !

1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2010 at 09:22

I think most Dubs fans ,have no expections of the team this year UA,,which could be a plus for the team ,,but you know if they get a few wins the pressure will be right back on them ,,the crowd can be very fickle.

Looks like Fennell will line out for the Dubs on Sunday ,,thru some loop hole and then after that the sh*t will hit the fan ,,,its been dragged out way to long.

There is a lot of sport on this weekend with the Hurlers out (have more interest in them this year)and then the 6 Nations

Uncle Arthur View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
Really Really Senior Member
80-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2010 at 19:53
I am afraid I go into the season with low expectations for the Dublin footballers - I hope I am proved wrong.
UA

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity but an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2010 at 16:23

Right so !

The O'Byrne is done and dusted and the Naaational League starts this weekend.

No idea what sort of team we'll be putting out against Kerry on Sunday what with injuries,the Fennell debacle and the Sigerson in full swing.( UCD knocked out today so that'll help )

As usual,start the new year with optimism rather than realistic hopes but if we can use the year to integrate some of the good young players knocking around into our team then it mightn't be all bad.

Edited by Rolo
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2010 at 15:25
Might c you down there on Sunday Rolo,,,here we go again
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2010 at 15:23
ah just tell her you want to go into the restaurant business,,she would be all over ya
Aries View Drop Down
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2010 at 13:35

Wouldn't mind a go , if I got the chance.

I think I'm too old for her somehow.............

THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE
BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2010 at 13:24

Originally posted by Aries Aries wrote:

Ah Ronan..poor Iris

No problem Gary, ya want her ?

Just say the word.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5758596061 95>