Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The GAA site

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 95>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2011 at 17:41
At Full Time Dublin 0- 22 Kilkenny 1-07
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
Sponsored Links

ShortHairHippie View Drop Down
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2011 at 19:06
great result,well done lads,lovely hurling    up the Dubs !
upon us all,a little rain must fall
whippersnapper View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2011 at 22:07
Was really surprised that we won so easily. Seemed a bit unreal.

Great great day - up there with the Leinster Final 1995 in the big ball in terms of great days. Was there for the AI in 1995, but for various reasons, beating M*th by double scores stands out as a bigger deal.

Today was brilliant - so many heroes. Watching it again here - having watched live and then watched the highlights already. Gets better eac time

I hadn't fully noticed the workrate of McCormack live, but it is a joy to see again the workrate of Ryan, Joey, Tomas, Rushe, Johnny Mac etc. Hard to choose a MOTM - give it to the team like they did a few years ago for the Cats.

Great to see the two captains hold a trophy aloft.

Great to have a lovely hug from a 70 year old Galway man behind us - nearly as happy as we were.

I hope Joey is not as badly hurt as it looked.

Never seen a Kilkenny team drop their heads and give up. Never seen a Kilkenny team lose their discipline. Never seen a KK team miss so many frees and easy scores - not to mention three or more dropped into Maguire's hands.

But Sheflin, Tommy and a few others coming back combined with the hurt will leave them dangerous in the summer.

Let's hope the hype dampens down right quick - loved Johnny's repeated "so far" in his speech.

Lovely lovely day - I've had a few horrors in there in my time mind. Think I was owed one.

Oh, one last thought - who were those fellas in blue running round with the cup. Not a white helmet to be seen so I didn't recognise Brady, Kelly or Rushe . It's strange to think that I could probably walk by most of that team tomorrow and not recognise them
I'm searching for that cash I should have saved for the crash
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2011 at 22:10
At times like this I suppose we all think of the people who inspired a love of the games in us. I gave the da a hug at full time, so Gay Fitzpatrick - I hope you saw it from a cloud up there yapping away about the good old days with Owen Roe.You boys may have been hardy, but there's plenty more successors swinging sticks round this city.

Many more, but Gay was a man who brought the hurling to life for me. RIP
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2011 at 05:47
Joey out for 3 weeks or so apparently , according to reports .

What a day, still buzzing here , brilliant bunch of lads, for me Ryan O'
Dwyer was MOTM and he's thanking us, the mere supporters for
accepting him as part of our team .

Just doesn't get any better, singing Spancil
Hill with Dalo in the Sunnybank at 4.30 AM .

Up the Dubs.
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2011 at 21:57
I read that Dalo was a fine singer - delighted you got to share the moment with him R

Still happy out

Hope the boys had a good night out and then settle down to preparation for the championship. Actually, let them have another night or two....
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2011 at 23:30

Thanks D, it was a fantastic day .....................and night .

Just makes up for all the bad years. Remember going to PP ( and not too long ago either ) to watch us play Kerry, Roscommon and Meath in Div 2 of the league when there were 12 teams in Div 1.

Now we have the players,the backroom team and most of all the desire and belief that we can compete with the best of them and beat them too.

My one fear is that we played at our peak yesterday and that KK ( and the others ) have plenty more in the tank.

This Championship will be a real test for us now that the bar has been raised so high.

Whatever happens now though,this year has to be viewed as a success after winning the cup yesterday.

Have a vivid memory of meeting two of the lads from the backroom team in HBs on the Sunday evening after the Antrim disaster last summer.

Lets' just say that the mood was somewhat different last night.

Black Russian View Drop Down
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2011 at 23:40
Did we win something ???.. Its sounds like its nearly 72yrs since we won anything 
"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2011 at 10:27

Congrats to The DUBS
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
DONDON View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
73-77

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DONDON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2011 at 12:12

I just wonder will Rolo be drinking out of the Liam Mc Carthy Cup in The Raheny Club House this Sept................

Hers's hoping

Grover from 73(old Grove)

In the year of the bankers and developers
When recession raged across the land
there were many driven by the hopelessness to set sail for the Americas and Australia
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2011 at 14:19
Originally posted by DONDON DONDON wrote:

I just wonder will Rolo be drinking out of the Liam Mc Carthy Cup in The Raheny Club House this Sept................

Here's hoping

Only if we win it Gerry .

joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2011 at 16:45
One cup at a time Dondon,,lets enjoy this one ,,,my god ,there was tears in my eyes ,,what a game of hurling from our boys in blue ,the perfect game ,,everything just went there way ,,,nobody seen us given the cats the biggest hiding they have recived in over 12 years,,even when the cats claws came out ,,we took their hits and just played some lovely hurling .There are many a men who have helped this team to get to last Sunday ,,some are no longer with us,,72 years of hard work ,,everybody will want to be friends of Dublin hurling now  ,,tangled up in blue
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
Uncle Arthur View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
80-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2011 at 20:26

Still recovering after Sunday myself. What a day and what a night! I was Rolo's wingman for much of the evening but didn't have the stamina to last out till 4.30am. 

A super bunch of lads who have absolute faith in both their own ability and their management team. Even while celebrating the consistent message was that this is just the start. I don't think there is any risk of cockiness and overconfidence for the tests ahead - they respect everybody but fear nobody.  

I'd say there were a few sore heads for their team meeting / warmdown session at 1pm on Monday   

UA

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity but an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2011 at 11:23

Originally posted by Uncle Arthur Uncle Arthur wrote:

Still recovering after Sunday myself. What a day and what a night! I was Rolo's wingman for much of the evening but didn't have the stamina to last out till 4.30am. 

Lightweight .

Oh...........and it was 5.30 AM .

Uncle Arthur View Drop Down
80-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2011 at 11:25
I see Dublin want to switch the championship game against Offaly from Parnell to Croker to accomodate the new bigger fan base. Makes absolute sense (but will require agreement from Offaly).  
UA

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity but an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2011 at 14:27
I still have my Dublin Flag draped across

one of the windows of our porch.How long

should I leave it there without seeming to

be a triumphalist.

Edited by monarch
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2011 at 15:53
I am the same Frank ,,,thinking of just leavin it there for the champo
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2011 at 18:56

I see Sean Og O Ceallachain is doing his last program this Sunday.

The longest serving radio broadcaster in Europe, his life and career have spanned many facets of Irish life, sport and culture in the formative decades of the emerging Irish state.

Always associated his voice with GAA games on the radio.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2011 at 14:59

Saw the Dublin girls win yesterday.

Congrats

Things looking up for Dublin on the GAA front.

Edited by Biker Pat

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2011 at 21:58
The ladies game can be a good watch Pat - it's that bit less physical and therefore with less pulling and dragging the skills on show are often excellent. Might try and bring the little one to a game or two over the summer.

Long may the GAA in Dublin thrive - we have two league titles on the last two weeks (combined with a runner up). Let's hope September brings more success.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 95>