Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The GAA site

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 95>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2011 at 11:25

Thanks Darach ,,all good, and your right the less said the better .

Tangled up in blue big time ,,do we dare to dream ,,,Finals are there to be won and we are in 2 of them ,,hope we get something out it .Hope the pressure does not get to the teams  

You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
Sponsored Links

DONDON View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
73-77

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DONDON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2011 at 11:36

Daly has chance to balance the family books

By Jim O’Sullivan

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

DUBLIN’S last appearance in an NHL final was in 1946, when Clare won the title for the first time after a replay with a team which included Anthony Daly’s uncles, John in goal and (captain) Haulie at left half-forward.

The Dublin team included well-known broadcaster Seán Óg Ó Ceallacháin at wing-forward. Sean Still Lives in Raheny I think ?

It was the first league final since 1941, with the competition being suspended between 1942 and 1945 because of the Second World War.

Dublin qualified by shocking Cork 8-7 to 1-7 in the semi-final, while Clare beat Galway 6-2 to 2-7. Dublin and Clare played a drawn game in the Gaelic Grounds (1-6 each) on May 27 and the replay was decided in Croke Park on July 21, when Clare won 2-10 to 2-5. The Banner had been beaten in the championship by Cork five weeks earlier.

Dublin hold two league titles, claiming their first in 1929 (beating Cork) and a second a decade later against Waterford.

This appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Tuesday, April 19, 2011

<

Edited by DONDON
Grover from 73(old Grove)

In the year of the bankers and developers
When recession raged across the land
there were many driven by the hopelessness to set sail for the Americas and Australia
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2011 at 11:59

Correct Gerry, Sean's grandson used play for my team.

On another note, our Minors hammered Westmeath on Saturday with the three Parish lads doing really well at 4,9 and 11. I've known the three of them since U8 'cos my older fella played on the same team and it's fantastic to see them develop and represent the county.

whippersnapper View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2011 at 17:48
Good days for us Blues - we need to win this Sunday. Cork are missing a few, but so are we. I've said for a long time now that I didn't feel that we should ignore a league so I want us to go and win it. Get the confidence of winning on a big day against a big team. That Cork team is so strong, fast and has some serious stamina. They were toying with armagh for the last few minutes. But they wouldn't be the most gifted set of footballers the world has ever seen - let's go for them

Hurlers should not be scared of the cats - these lads have beaten KK at underage. Keep the attitude right and we have a chance. That's all we want. Keep progressing - last year was a bad blip but let's put that behind us and horse on as the counthry lads do be saying
I'm searching for that cash I should have saved for the crash
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2011 at 13:37
Up the dubs heres hoping as always
Blondie
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it !
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2011 at 10:35

Dublin came up short again.

Watched the game, they played some super football and scored some great scores but alas faded in the second half.

May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Uncle Arthur View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
80-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2011 at 18:14

It was there for us but our bench just isn't strong enough.

When Brogan and Connolly came off our chance went with them (I hope Connolly was injured and not a tactical substitution!) 

Kelly, Burke, and Nelson just not up to it. Shocking miss by Mossy from straight in front of goal as well. 

We only lost by 1 point but how much disarray we were in at the end was summed up by the fact that we had no left footed player on the pitch to take a free out by the right sideline, so Mossy ended up taking it off the ground though he had no chance of scoring it. 

UA

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity but an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"

Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2011 at 20:28
Listened to it on radio - suffice it to say that Ger Canning and Pete McGrath are not Micheal and Len Gaynor. They make a great match sound like a sleeping tablet.

Cork are a seriously strong team and win so many games in the last few minutes. But we were gradually losing this from a long way out. Same as last August - could see it happening.

Disappointing - but at least we're only getting bet as opposed to getting whipped like happened only a few years ago.

Giller is a top quality manager, and the team seem now to be fully bought into what he's at. He has made some big calls and I think the players now know that it's his way or the highway.

But, this year we're more attacking but conceding too much. Last year we shut up shop but didn't score enough. So he now has a little thinking time and hopefully time to tweak and adjust.

Last year Cork seemed to have a great squad but not to be sure of their first XV - Dublin seem to have the same issue. Is Murray or Paul Brogan really champo fullback?

We're not far off but still not there.....
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2011 at 10:12
The highs and lows of sport ,,50mins gone ,,8points ahead and then a complete meltdown ,,ok we can say the subs were not up to the job ,,but most subs were forwards and its not there fault that Cork scored 11 points to our 2 in the last 20mins ,,,think it showed that we can not play the system that Pat Gilroy wants for 70mins ,,Cork were given so much room to play in the second half ,,,plus all the talk about how strong our panel is ,,, Fairplay to Cork ,,they never paniced and did not go looking for goals ,they are strong and fit and have players that can come into a game a add a bit to the team ,,,Now can we learn from this for the summer ahead ,,,i hope so ,,
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2011 at 12:02

Right, composure finally recovered after a thrilling if ultimately disappointing afternoon in the Big House on Sunday.

For 50 - 55 minutes we were outstanding,solid at the back,moving the ball well and looking a real threat every time we went forward. With a bit more composure we could have had two more goals when we opted to take points instead.

The injuries to Cullen , Connolly and especially to Berno just killed us. These fellas are irreplaceable when we have everyone fit but the decisions to replace them with the unfortunate Darren Daly, with Pat Burke and Dean Kelly, three decent good club footballers, but all unproven at this level was very unfortunate.

No matter what possession we managed to gain in the latter stages of the game we never looked like holding on to our lead once Cork got the smell of victory. We had no one to hold the ball,to create decent scoring chances or to recycle possession in the last fifteen minutes and Cork just went for the jugular.

What could have been done differently ?

Our game plan revolves around the midfielders and wing forwards bursting their collective guts for 50 - 55 minutes in the knowledge that there are fellas of similar calibre to replace them when their lungs and legs give out.

On this basis we knew that Cullen wouldn't last the game and were probably looking at replacing Flynn, Maxi and Bastic. We might have hung on to the lead if this had been the case as Berno and Connolly would have been still available to take scores while the likes of Daly, Burke and Kelly are perfectly capable of doing the donkey work but fall short in the creativity department. Any time Kelly got near the goal he panicked and kicked the ball away.

In hindsight,perhaps the plan might have been to move McCauley to Centre Forward,Cahill to Wing Forward and replace them with Murray and Lally/Casey instead of Burke and Daly. This would have left us with a front three of Kelly, Mossy and Maxi backed up by Flynn ( who will run all day ) McCauley ( who needed a rest from a great shift at midfield ) and Cahill who can play there as he showed during other games. Would it have made a difference...........who knows but just that Murray, Casey and Lally all played plenty of games in the league and all did well.

Looking forward,if we can keep everyone fit and can get Henno, McConnell, O'Sullivan, Dias and Rory O'Carroll up to match fitness we will be stronger in the business end of the championship and if Kerry and Cork ( who are both still better than us ) manage to have an off day or two who knows ?

DONDON View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
73-77

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DONDON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2011 at 12:32

Spot on Rolo,to a tee

I am waiting to hear my Cousin Michael Hanley's take on it, on FM103

Grover from 73(old Grove)

In the year of the bankers and developers
When recession raged across the land
there were many driven by the hopelessness to set sail for the Americas and Australia
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2011 at 22:44
Don't rule out Tyrone for Sam this year. They respond well to tragedy and they had a real bad one this year. Not being cynical or horrible, but just feel they are a spiritual team and they need a cause. Peter Canavan's da, Errigal Ciaran and the split in the parish, Cormac, John Devine's da - seems they have had an awful lot of hassle as a group.

The county was probably the location for the most bitter bit of the troubles - East Tyrone saw a fair amount of assassinations. Coping with tragedy is part of the DNA

Don't rule out Sam for Michaela.....
80-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2011 at 23:24

Time to move on from talking about Gilroy's bottlers and focus on Daly's battlers.

I think they have a genuine chance this weekend, and more importantly the players and management believe they have a real good chance - they have respect for Kilkenny but no fear of them.

UA

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity but an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"

Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2011 at 22:58
Really looking forward to Sunday - asked kids did they want to go, but they didn't so feel I should probably have a scoop or two afterwards. Twould be only right.

I hope we give it welly and play to our ability. That's all you can ask of anyone, especially amateurs.

We have a chance, a right good one - but we need to keep our heads. Antrim is less than a year ago after all.

Come on the blue.....
80-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2011 at 01:04

I have a really good feeling about Sunday. This is where it starts - League, then Leinster, then All-Ireland!

UA

Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2011 at 21:58
I'm just going to enjoy the experience but we have a right chance. So excited.
Will have to curb it tomorrow morning or I'll lose the run of meself and start lamping the five year olds out of it down in Barrog
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2011 at 22:02
Really interesting to read Reservoir Dubs (which our esteemed leader knows well)

The number of pages for a historic hurling game pales into insignificance compared to the football threads. Still very much the second game in this town

But, that can change

Also, Micheal and Ger Loughnane tipped us on TG4 this evening. Sean Ban felt we would come just short. Micheal said only one Dublin man has a league winners medal? That the old Dublin teams were stacked with country men (which I knew - just didn't think it was that heavily weighted?)

Let's have a team (or nearly) of true blues win
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2011 at 23:49

KK have named a very strong team considering their injury situation
and will be really,really hard to beat. Cody will be trying to put us "
back in our box " before the Championship and has named his
strongest available side.

We are going with McCrabbe and Rushe in midfield with McCaffrey
at wing back which is a little strange considering how well McCaffrey
has played at 8 throughout the league.

Having said that we've loads of options for change with O'Brien,
Ryan, Gough,Treacy ( hopefully ) Lambert and Schutte all on the
bench if things go awry.

Really need big games from Ryan O'Dwyer, Keaney and Dotsy to
put up the scores and from Brady and Boland down the middle at the
back to make sure they aren't allow run thoughh us for handy
goals.

Like I always say to the kids on Christmas Eve, the sooner you go
to bed the sooner Christmas will be here so I'll be off now.

Up The Dubs.

Edited by Rolo
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2011 at 09:33
Big big day. Very nervous and yet excited. Bring it on......
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2011 at 16:53
Dublin 0-19 Kilkenny 1-07

After 72 mins.

Edited by monarch
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 95>