Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The GAA site

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5253545556 95>
Author
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2011 at 21:42
Lads,
Looking at hurling helmets for the two kids. Seems like there's a choice of  four brands - Mycra and MArc at about 70 lids plus, Azurri at about 55 and another brand in Smyth's Toys for less than 30. Looked at the cheapies over the weekend - the helmet itself looks ok, but I'd be worried about the durability of the chinstrap thingy

Also - can you adjust the helmets these days? From memory, a helmet used do you for a lifetime, but they seem to be size specific now?

Anyone got any experience of these? Don't want to save a penny and lose a pound, but don't want to pay over the odds for a brand name either....

Cheers.....
I'm searching for that cash I should have saved for the crash
Sponsored Links

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2011 at 10:49

Most of ours use the Mycro D,comes in Small, Medium and Large with adjustable straps.

As far as I know,the child's version ( small and medium ) retail at € 50 in our club shop ( which I am told is cheaper than the sports shops ).

My own fella has had a Mycro since he was Under 9, a small up to U11 and a Medium since.He now 14, but on the small side and we never had any issues.

Wouldn't touch the € 30 version if I were you.

If you want me to pick you up a couple............in Maroon and White let me know.

whippersnapper View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2011 at 22:24
Ta Rolo - had a look at the other versions today at lunch.

Didn't rate the Azurri much better than the cheapies to be honest, the Marc was ok. Mycro looked the best by far - the guard looks much tighter to the helmet at the sides whereas the others the guard is straighter.

Will enquire down the club on Saturday morning about whether they are available in the club. If they don't have them in Barrog, might have to get one of my Raheny playing relatives to go up to your place and pretend their heads have shrunk
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2011 at 21:53
Have the Sky+ set to record GAA beo this weekend. Big big game for our boys - it would be such a deal to make a league final in the small ball. Results have to go our way, but I will be listening watching in depending on what location the weekend has in store for me.

Following weekend is big ball final - not sure I'll make that - think shannonbridge is calling for an egghunt and just won't make it back up. Such is the way - but a big few weekends for the boys in blue in both codes.

Confidence of final appearances and possibly even victories would be hugely important. I've been saying for eyars we should focus on the league - delighted that we are now casting aside an undeserved arrogance about it and playing to our ability and beating the big teams. Early days yet, but let's enjoy the moment.....
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2011 at 22:55

Would be savage to make the Hurling League final, need to beat Cork in De Park and hope Waterford do us a favour against Galway.

Hard to win down there with the injuries we have, McCrabbe, O'Brien, Treacy, Boland, Hiney and now Rushe.................all of whom were permanent fixtures on our Champo team last year.

Speaks volumes for us that we can still be competitive without all these lads. Really hope we can do it.

On another note, 3 Raheny lads starting for the Dublin Minors against Westmeath in the Leinster Champo tomorrow,with two more on the bench................ best of luck to them all.

DONDON View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
73-77

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DONDON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2011 at 23:11
come on the Raheny Lads 
Grover from 73(old Grove)

In the year of the bankers and developers
When recession raged across the land
there were many driven by the hopelessness to set sail for the Americas and Australia
monarch View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2011 at 15:52
Cork 1-14 Dublin 1-15

At full time.

Edited by monarch
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2011 at 16:52
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2011 at 18:49

That is super.

Dublin hurlers in the League Final.

Was watching the game, super performance and some decent hurlers in the team.

Congrats Dubs
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2011 at 22:40
Taped the game on Sky+ and tried to avoid news of udpates (including ignoring a text that came in at final whistle time)
Drove back from inlaws and was flicking around radio stations trying to ignore anything resembling a sports update
Thought I was safe with Radio na Gaeltachta but Nuacht an Deisceart had the results.
Still watched it just now - scrappy game, but we did the biz.

Paul Ryan is starting to win a bit of his own ball. We have options all over the park. We have a nice bit of cynicism in us and we are not going to back down in a scrap.

We are missing Joe Boland - he's a quality player, particularly without Hiney as well.
We were ropey in the fullback line, but Cork shooting saved us. Oisin got into it towards the end fair play to him after a bit of a nightmare up till then.

But, despite those little things, we got over them red fellas and showed them what the real Capital is. People's Republic my brown Irish @rse.

Happy happy days.

A good bunch of lads who have taken advantage of a lot of hard work from a lot of very good people right throughout Dublin GAA circles - as I've said before there are hurls everywhere round here.

Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2011 at 22:41
Oh Dotsy was magnificent as well. Sorry I forgot him - he made Cadogan look like a chump.
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2011 at 10:15

What a great time for hurling in Dublin ,,cant believe we are in the league final ,,delighted for all those involved and for all the hard work that has gone on to get the lads to this stage ,,

On another note --Tom Humphries ,,i ran a few teams with this guy and my two daughters were under his care for awhile ,,i am sick  

You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2011 at 11:40

Savage day yesterday for everyone involved in hurling in Dublin.

Agree that Cork weren't great but our fellas just refused to lie down, just like when we came from 2 down in the last minute against Waterford,repelled the Tipp comeback and came from three down against KK to snatch the draw.

Think 'Snapper has covered it all up but have to repeat what he said about Dotsy. After a poor season in 2010 he has been magnificent this year,six points from play and destroying Cadogan in the process.

He was down our club this morning for our Juvenile Hurling Academy and looks no older than a kid himself.

Genuinely, if you'd told me that we'd qualify for the league final this year given the number of injuries we have suffered I'd have called for the men in the white coats.

Can't wait for the final now and a cut off a full strength KK team. Think they will have too much for us unless we can get Boland and Rushe back.

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2011 at 14:05

Scratch that, just seen KK's injury list..............they're worse off than we are.

Real chance to win this now,Thurles or Croker, don't care where it is. Can't wait.

Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2011 at 20:04

Just catching up on all the comments / views here. Think it is a fantastic result to be in both finals a lot of hard work and commitment from both teams.

Really looking forward to final against Cork next Sunday should be a cracker the brother is predicting a 2 point win for Dublin he's called it right every match so mfor so heres hoping hes right again.

Going to miss the hurling unfortunately as am away that weekend but am sure will find an irish pub in Eindhoven to watch the match.

Blondie
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it !
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2011 at 21:22
Joey,
Obviously all that stuff in the media has yet to be proven and all that so don't want to make any comment on it other than to say how distressing the allegations must be for you and yours. I was thinking about you earlier as I know you are involved with the kids

Hope you and yours are ok and I'll leave it at that...
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2011 at 21:24
Big game in croker next weekend and weekend after. Will get there for hurling come hell or high water - think I'll do the family thing and skip the big ball unless by a miracle the kids will agree to come home early from the sweets in granny's house and come watch sport with the da.

So no chance then.....
Uncle Arthur View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
Really Really Senior Member
80-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2011 at 00:46

Massive performance by the hurlers. Once again when the chips were down in the last few minutes they came up with the critical scores. They are both physically stronger but also mentally stronger than ever before.

It will be a huge ask against the cats but this Dublin team isn't intimidated or afraid of them. I will head to Croker on May Day in expectation not just in hope.

UA

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity but an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2011 at 10:39

Two League finals on successive Bank Holiday Weekends...........doesn't get any better than this.

Note to self............

Make sure Alan Byrne gets the BBQ out  as they could be long days.

DONDON View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
73-77

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DONDON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2011 at 11:02
Hopefully it will be MayDay Mayday,SOS  for the Cats
Grover from 73(old Grove)

In the year of the bankers and developers
When recession raged across the land
there were many driven by the hopelessness to set sail for the Americas and Australia
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5253545556 95>