Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The GAA site

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354 95>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2011 at 11:11

Correct D, Rory is in France this year and unlikely to feature at all in the league,difficult to see how he could perform in the Championship with no work done. The older brother might be an alternative once Crokes are finished with Cross and Nemo,although he may be a little on the short side but I do not think that Bastic is the answer.

Trip to Galway sounds like fun,probably end up doing the day trip meself.

Off to Armagh on Sat night for the first league game and then Parnell on Sunday for the Walsh Cup final,hoping we can replicate our 2003 success over the stripey men.

Sponsored Links

Uncle Arthur View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
80-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2011 at 21:49

Good performance by the footballers last night in Armagh. Took the lazy option of staying at home and watching it on tv.

Considering we were missing so many players it was an excellent result. Unfortunately young Murray isn't the answer to our full-back problems. My only gripe is that Diarmuid Connolly loses possession too much and wastes balls, and Gilroy should have taken him off earlier. 

Edited by Uncle Arthur
UA

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity but an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2011 at 11:11

Thought Murray did OK Arty, Nippy Swift was their best player on the night but he stook to the task well,considering he's a HB for Brigid's.Thought he made a few timely interceptions and used possession very well.

Realistically I think we'll be looking at one of the O'Carrolls for FB in the Champo.

As for Dermo, a great talent but just seems to be far too casual half the time.

Great performances from forgotten men Declan Lally and Paul Casey and from McManamon on the 40. Surprised to hear that McCauley had got the Setanta MOTM as Cullen was outstanding all night.

Think we'll have a serious problem in Midfield this year though,Bastic hasn't got the football and for a big man doesn't do enough in the physical department for me, McConnell out til March, Fennell all over the place and Magee still recovering from his horrendous injury.

Interesting to see how we do against the Rebels in 2 weeks.

Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2011 at 21:24

Alwys nice to start with a win only saw the highlights but Bernards goal looked great

Looking forward to Croaker on the 19th which will be my first match of 2011 heres hoping as always

Blondie
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it !
whippersnapper View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2011 at 21:25
Hoping to get to Croker for the rebels and Tipp double header. I'm away the following week for the Kerry game, so want to make an appearance for that one. Might even chance a pint or two along the way.

A few of the lads in work have season tickets - including a Liverpool lad. Reckons the Hill was the closest thing he had seen in years to the old Kop last year and couldn't have hacked not getting a ticket for the final if we had got through. He's so passionate about the game already - great to see.

Heard Cullen was superb - there's talent there but we haven't always seen the best of him, although Giller has put it up to him and he has responded.

Just hope the same will be said of Diarmuid next year - he strikes me as a lad who got by on pure ability for a long time. That's not enough at inter county - attitude and preparation needs to be top class.

I have a beer poured and am watching GAA 2011 from TG4 - now to go back and watch the Dublin game that I missed.

Any word on the Walshe Cup match - when's it on now?
I'm searching for that cash I should have saved for the crash
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2011 at 14:28

Walsh Cup Final now down for Sun 27th in PP. There was talk of doubling it up with the Laegue Match but this wasn't a runner due to the player eligibility rules.

Dunno what to make of last Sunday's trip to Walsh Park. Started really well and were eight points up mid way through the first half,went asleep for a while and were five down with fifteen minutes to go before a great finish,with two injury time points got us a draw.

Positives gave to include the form of Keaney and Conor McCormack and to a certain extent, Shane Ryan,the fact that we could go to Waterford missing McCrabbe, Boland, Treacy, O'Brien and Gough from last year's Champo team and the new man, Ryan O'Dwyer and still get a result.

Negatives..........still very poor at Full Back with Tomás getting a roasting from Seamus Prendergast before Peter Kelly went back there. Ironically, Brady did very well at 6 which is his best position, the lack of focus or whatever it is that causes us to go asleep for extended periods in games.

Anyway, more to be revealed as Jedward come to Croker on Saturday to be supported by our hurlers and footballers,each of whom take on the reigning All Ireland Champions.

Can't wait.

Uncle Arthur View Drop Down
80-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2011 at 20:05
Maybe Jedward are the solution to our full back problems in both hurling and football!
UA

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity but an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"

joey the lips View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2011 at 00:51

i AM TANGLED UP IN BLUE AGAIN ,A ALL IRELAND FOR DUBLIN AND JEDWARD TO WIN A FEW EURO

PITY WITH DID NOT GET BOTH TEAMS ON THERE FIRST DAY OUT ,I FEAR A WE COULD BE GIVEN A LESSON IN SUCH AN OPEN SPACE OF CROKE PARK AT THIS TIME OF YEAR ,,I HOPE I AM PROVED WRONG AND FOR ALWAYS ,,HERE,S HOPING

You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2011 at 19:53

What a night in Croker last  night the only place to be  who knows what the summer will bring but last night in North Dublin we took on and beat both All Ireland champions doesnt get much better then that. Went for pints after and long discussions about what was good bad indifferent but u know wot we won and won well so thats an excellent night in my book.

UP The DUBs

Blondie
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it !
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2011 at 12:58

Proved wrong indeed Joey, and I am sure that you are extremely happy that this is the case.

Quality performance from the hurlers to go toe to toe with the All Ireland Champions and come out on top in a tight game. Know we hammered then in PP last year but this was worth so much more.

After the roasting he got last week,great to see Tomás putting in a good performance,also great stuff from Trainor,Rushe,McCaffrey,Dotsy and Joey. As for Keaney, just magnificent, 14 points scored ( 4 from play ) and a huge performance. Need to back it up with a performance in Tullamore next time out as we never got off the bus when we went down there last year and were destroyed by Shane Dooley.One more win and we won't be relegated. Beat Wexford and Offaly and we could be in the hunt for a bigger prize. Game with Galway in PP on 27th March could be huge .

Funny, but after the Hurling it was like the Football was in slow motion. Cork were very poor but we did what we had to do and scored 3 good goals. Hopefully the performances of fellas like Kev Mac, Declan Lally, Tomás and Catser will give Giller food for thought for the summer.

DONDON View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
73-77

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DONDON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2011 at 13:57
Hopefully it will not be a false dawn for both teams.
Grover from 73(old Grove)

In the year of the bankers and developers
When recession raged across the land
there were many driven by the hopelessness to set sail for the Americas and Australia
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2011 at 14:18

Hurlers are a work in progress Gerry.

Great first year with Daly but went backwards last year as fellas just never hit the heights they did in 2009.

Just think that with the return of Keaney and the introduction of Ryan O'Dwyer,the discovery of Conor McCormack and the graduation of Quilty,Plunkett and Clinton from the U21s the competition for places is now far stronger than it was last year with fellas chomping at the bit to get into the team. Can only be good.

Realistically we now have 22 -25 players who could make the first 15 whereas last year and the year before we were looking at 17 / 18.

Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2011 at 19:57
Funnily enough I thought the hurling was slow compared to the football. Maybe it was the fog lifting, maybe it was the beer in between the games but I thought the football looked good under lights, the small ball just didn't excite me as much.

Great result and very impressed with the way the boys refused to be beaten - don't get me wrong. But, there were moments when there were about eight lads gardening with a ball buried in the turf - reminded me of Pairc Barrog that morning rather than the first Sunday in September.

I would love to see us win the league in football and challenge for it in hurling. Nice to have a little optimism at this time of year, but one of the lads was getting a touch over confident after the second pint.

Quare value for 13 euro.

Great night out, plenty of optimism but still plenty to work on and make sure we remain grounded.

Fair few Grovers there on Saturday evening - saw XGH with family in tow but was yapping to auld fella so didn't get a chance to say hello.

Hoping to make the Galway game in PP and might even make a trip to shop Street for pints in april all going well.

Compared to 35 euro to watch the soccer shower pllay Wales in a pointless friendly - serious value....
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2011 at 21:20
Dublin 3-10 Kerry 1-15
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2011 at 14:49
Dublin 1-11 Kilkenny 0 - 2

At half-time.
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2011 at 01:08

Hung on in the end Frank for a great victory. Kilkenny introduced some of their heavy hitters in the second half to try repair the damage of a dismal first half,but despite the best efforts of Michael Fennelly, Fast Eddie and Taggy Fogarty we held on to win by 4 in the end. Their period of dominance coincided with a hailstorm blowing right into our goal for 10 minutes in the second half and during this period they scored about 2-4/2-5.

I know they didn't produce Richie Hogan,JJ,Gorta,Tommy Walsh or Richie Power but we were down a right few of our own first 15, ( Hiney, Joey, Peter Kelly, Keaney, Tomas Brady,Mossy and Dotsie ) but the new lads,particularly Conor Clinton and Daire Plunkett were top class.Plunkett's goal was a thing of beauty.

Really starting to build a strong panel now.

Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2011 at 20:59
We're also starting to win games against big teams - if we can balance that confidence without dipping into arrogance we have a chance in both codes of doing something good this year.

Let's hope the hype machine takes a break this year and the boys continue to work hard
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2011 at 21:00
And Keaney looks to be doing his stuff - long may he continue to ram my doubts down my throat....

Ryan O Dwyer could be the ball winnner we need on the 40 as well

A lot done, a lot more to do....
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2011 at 10:53

Half Time on Sunday.............a rare sight. Hands too cold at full time to take another.

Edited by Rolo
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2011 at 13:08

Strange days indeed ,another weekend and another 2 big scalps for the boys in blue .

Hurlers got to repeat there winning ways against Offaly,we were caught out last year by them after a great win over Tipp,

I think it was 1977 since we beat Kerry in Croke Pk ,,,,anyroad we are getting great entertainment for this time of year at a very small sum,,keep on rollin along

You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5051525354 95>