Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The GAA site

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 95>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2010 at 11:05

Torn in two on this one.

I love the League games in PP,always great atmosphere,always meet the same die hard punters,kids can get really close to the action if they want to etc.

One of the reasons being put forward for this is to try to get the Dublin Clubs to generate large ticket sales and to pick up a percentage of the take. This is a great idea 'cos plenty of clubs are struggling financially and need the cash.

From a players point of view,it has to be good,particularly for the hurlers as they need to be playing on the big pitch all the time and not just twice a year.

Jury still out for me as I have to wait to see how the ticket sales go before finally making up my mind.

Sponsored Links

whippersnapper View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2010 at 18:08
I'd be a championship regular but rarely hit the league -  but might make more of an effort for a big game in Croker. If I pay upfront for the ticket it forces me to go. Double headers for the league (we play Cork in the football and Tipp in the hurling - that's a mouth watering propsect) should be good - but they need to take a leaf out of the FAI book and make family and kid tickets really cheap.

If Croker is only half full (that's still a big big crowd) the atmos could be terrible. It's all about the numbers - 40,000 and it's a great idea, 20,000 and it's a disaster....
I'm searching for that cash I should have saved for the crash
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2010 at 23:18

Talking about 45 notes for all 4 games for adults D.

League games in PP were always 15 so that's a decent discount considering there are two quality double headers in there.

I'm sure that kids will be a fiver or something similar. Small fella always got into PP for nothing for league games.

Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2010 at 22:26
Well, if it's all about the numbers, I may just have to do my bit to boost them so.

45 for 4 games is not bad - not sure whether my lot would last a double header, but deffo willing to bring them in for one of the "lesser" league games. If they get restless too early, I can always skip off - but if I bring enough "treats" then they may sit through a little bit of them....

I hope it can take off - twould be great to get a good crowd for more of the year supporting the Dubs...
joey the lips View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2011 at 09:08

Well the Dubs are out this weekend ..O Byrne Cup ,,26 players out due to all sorts of reasons ,,a chance for a few  new faces ,,they are back training at DCU at 6.30 in the morning ,,nearly payed off last year ,,,

Anyroad it starts all over again ,,,here,s hoping  

You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2011 at 14:58

DUBLIN (SF v WestM**th)

1 Stephen Cluxton 2 Nicky Devereux 3 Seán Murray
4 Darragh Nelson 5 Paul Casey 6 Gerard Brennan 7 Darren Daly 8 Colm Murphy 9 Kevin Bonner 10 Alan Hubbard 11 Tomás Quinn 12 Dean Kelly 13 Darragh Stapleton 14 Eoghan O’Gara 15 Kevin McManamon

Wow ! Great to see some of last year's U21s getting a run,although a little surprised with some of their positions,in particular Devereux and Murray.

Kevin Bonner in Midfield..........Hmmmmmmm .

Looking forward to this now,love watching Tomas Quinn at 11.

Edited by Rolo
Uncle Arthur View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
Really Really Senior Member
80-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2011 at 15:23
Keaney finally confirms his switch to the Dublin hurlers. Super news. He will be a great addition to the panel
UA

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity but an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2011 at 15:46

Sure will Arty, we've been crying out for someone with his ball winning ability in the HF Line for an age. All we need now is for someone to get to work on Ross O'Carroll and for Ryan O'Dwyer to be as good as people are saying and we will have a whole new HF Line which will release Rushe to play at 14 where he will be at his most dangerous.

Well done to Anto for finally getting his man.

Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2011 at 21:37
I've heard that Keaney was always a better hurler than he was footballer, but can't blame a man for throwing his lot in with only one intercounty team given the committment required.

I wish him well, but I would be worried by hte fact that he has bulked up so much in the last few years - not sure that's compatible with top level HF hurling, and also by the fact that he looked less and less hungry for work over the last few years in around the edge of the square.

I was never a huge fan of him, but I'd love to be proved wrong......

This is not personal abuse - he has more talent and given more to the cause than I could ever consider - I just mean I on't think he is as good as some would have me believe....
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2011 at 11:21

He was a savage hurler when he first played for Dublin 2003 - 04,even now when he plays for Boden at the business end of the Club Champo,not having played or trained seriously all year he stands out a mile.

Our problem in the HF line is not having fellas with the physical strength to compete and win our own puck outs,think ( hope ) he will make a difference in this regard. 

Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2011 at 18:14
Agree we have a problem with ball winning, and hope you are right R. He has been the unseen great white hope for a while for the small ball brigade. We're not that far off doing something - a ball winner and goal scorer and we'd trouble most teams as our backs and midfield are a match for most
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2011 at 23:30

Footballers beaten by a point by Westmeath in the O'Byrne tonight. Experimental team were 6 down at half time against a strong breeze but fought back to level before Golden Boll*x Glennon scored a last minute free.

Ah well, bring on the NFL and Ard Mhacha away on Sat 5th Feb.

1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2011 at 10:11

Not to worried about result ,,believe the dressing rooms were robbed during the game

RIP to Michaela Harte ,,just so sad ,,watched Mickey Harte being interviewed on Rte with 2 of his sons ,,he is a broken man . Thoughts and prayers to the whole family

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2011 at 11:55

Originally posted by joey the lips joey the lips wrote:

Not to worried about result ,,believe the dressing rooms were robbed during the game

Yeah............and Dermo wasn't even there .

Always thought Mickey Harte was brilliant,both as a manager and as an individual. The stuff he has been through over the past few years and now this. How can he ever recover ?

RIP Michaela.

Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2011 at 22:23
Horrible tragedy for the whole of Tyrone GAA - they seem to be family up there. Not to mention the Down boys as the hubbie would have been part of that squad. Tyrone have been through a lot.

As for the dubs - interesting to see McMenamin scoring. He seemed to have something about him in the league but became the sacrificial lamb after the Wexford debacle. Here's hoping he starts challenging for a place - the more competition Giller has the better

Saw the big man this afternoon and just said "hello Pat" - couldn't decide whether to say "keep up the good work" or "good luck this year" so moved on . He is a big imposing figure - and I wouldn't like to get on his bad side, I'd say he'd be a right moody sod
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2011 at 15:59

Dubs doing well in Shield ,,9 goals in 2 games ,,,hope we get meath in next game

Hurlers got of to good start ,,,and well done to Crokes on there leinster final ,,,big one coming up against Crossmaglen  

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2011 at 16:10

Can't praise Crokes highly enough. Missing Griffin, Davoren,Corkery, O'Carroll and Magee and still being far too good for a decent Rhode team is a great achievement.Hopefully tey go all the way and give us another Paddy's Day to remember.

As for the O'Byrne and the Walsh................hope we do get Meath at the weekend,would be good for a laugh.

Hurlers have Galway on Sunday after a laboured win over a poor Antrim team yesterday. Great display from Shane Ryan though,three good scores and loads of hard work. Slow start from Keaney and Ryan O'Dwyer although Conal did prosper when he came out the field,showing one or two class touches. Can only get better with more games.

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2011 at 12:30

Great night in Parnell on Saturday.

Battling performance from the hurlers to beat Galway by a point having played the whole second half with 14 after McCaffrey was harshly sent off for a mistimed pull. Thought the Galway fella failed to protect himself when he went for the high ball.

Kilkenny in the final at the weekend,

Serious competition for places now when everyone comes back from college duty and injury so looking forward to the League now.

Footballers just did enough to beat an awful Meath team who must have had 20+ wides,most of them from Big Joe and Shane O'Rourke.

Will need to get the Kilmacud boys back as we looked very exposed in the Full Back department.

finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2011 at 12:46
Good win for O'Loughlin Gaels on sunday especially given the 2 postponements and lack of match sharpness.

Leinster champions
A man must have a code
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2011 at 23:15
Saw a bit of the football last Saturday and it didn't look like we will be playing expansive stuff (although it's always hard to tell at this stage)

Joe Sheridan will probably be asked to reduce the lard in his diet and someone will bring Shane O Rourke to a blacksmith to get the foot straightened

High ball had us in all sorts - isn't young O'Carroll teaching in France this year? Will he be the champo fullback or will someone look to BAstick again - because he looked good in Gillers first year for a long time (although the red mist is always there or thereabouts)

Thinking of a trip to Gaillimh for the away game this year with a few headers from work. Can nearly taste the pints in Shop Street already....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 95>