Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BOOKS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 40>
Author
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
86 - 90

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esthalon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2007 at 10:02
Yes but I stopped reading the books after the Goblet.....going to wait until the whole set is finsihed and read them back to back. I've no patience ya see and I hate the waiting around in between releases (that's my excuse anyway and it has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that I have a crap memory and would have to keep reading the entire set over every time a new one came out HONEST!)
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for Breakfast!
Sponsored Links

xgrovehead View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2007 at 10:25
Same crap memory here - but saddo that I am I actually enjoy re-reading them every couple of years!
Esthalon View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
86 - 90

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esthalon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2007 at 10:47
Don't get me wrong I do like rereading books but with the amount of tiem I get to read these days I'd never get to read anything else if I reread them all at each release. You read any Robin Hobb yet?
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2007 at 13:49
Nope - any good?
Esthalon View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
86 - 90

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esthalon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2007 at 14:29

She's my current Favourite......Strictly Fantasy of course.

There's the Farseer and the Tawny man trilogy both based around the same characters but set about 15 years apart (I highly recommend reading the 6 of them back to back). And then there's the Liveship Trilogy set in a different part of the same land with different characters.

All are excellent if you are a fantasy fan.

She also has another Trilogy in the works but set in a totally different land etc. Waiting on book 3 to come out before I start that set.

irish_mammy View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
80-84 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_mammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2007 at 14:40

For some light reading I'd recommend Cathy Kelly.

Enjoyed her books on many a plane flight.

Lesley

25th June - 25th July. Get organising my nights out. Child can stay in the car.

Grove 1980-1984
Floyd View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2007 at 22:54
Read 'The Story So Far' on this site once...
There are three kinds of people in the world,those who are able to count,and those who can't...
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2007 at 00:12
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is the title of the last volume . Read somewhere it would be out end of April.
A man must have a code
russell View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
82-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2007 at 00:57

Not A fan of Harry potter ...but do remember reading (when i was living in Scotland and without work ) all of LOTR trilogy. read the whole thing within a week.  Didn't put it down ..except to eat and take a nap.

Here some novels that I really loved reading and I can highly recomend .

Music and Silence  ..Rose Tremain

Perfume .............Patrick Suskind

The journeys of Socrates ....Dan Millman

Russ
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2007 at 10:35

Hey Russ I did the same with LOTR's books was off work sick for a week and read them in about 5 days couldnt put them down.

Am re reading all my David Gemmel books at min anmd loving them all just as much as first time

Blondie
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it !
Esthalon View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
86 - 90

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esthalon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2007 at 11:36
Hey Blondie, who's your fav Gemmell character / Book?
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2007 at 14:19

God Esthalon I dont know Druss I suppose but hav to say love them all.

Really njoyed the first two books in Troy series fingers crossed for third.

also love the way he had strong women characters in his books.

J

Blondie
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2007 at 16:28
Lads I hear that Harry Potter is being released on 21st July.  Put that in your diaries now!
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2007 at 16:30

Hi X have to say stopped reading them after third or fourth might start again and see if I can catch up.

have seen all the movies

Blondie
Esthalon View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
86 - 90

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esthalon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2007 at 17:01
Has anyone read "Catch 22"? I've been trying to read it but it's doing my head in, would keep going if someone could tell me it'll get better but everyone in the book is nuts, and not in a funny way.
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2007 at 18:19

Doesn't get any better June.

Either you love Yossarian from the start or you hate him..........either way it's just nuts the whole way through.

Watch the movie,it's much quicker.

muller View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2007 at 20:38

Hey Esthalon, I have tried to read it several times but gave up. Like James Mitchener's Texas. Can never get into it athough I have read several other of Mitchener's mighty tomes. Anyone else give up on books after a few pages?

btw Just reread King Solomon's Mines by H Rider Hagard. Rollicking great adventure even for the tenth time. It's been a long time and the auld memory isn't what it was)

Life is for living
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2007 at 20:43

Hey june think I tried years and years ago but never made it past first few chapters.

Muller read quite a few of mitcheners books but never tried texas enjoyed his others though.

Blondie
Esthalon View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
86 - 90

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esthalon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2007 at 23:48

Thanks Guys! You make me feel better about giving up....No idea how it made it so high up in the "Big Read" top 100.

Off to bed with some Robin Hobb, a good dose of Fantasy should chase that lunatic Yossarian away!

finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2007 at 11:08

Just read Bernard Cornwell's "The Last Kingdom", got sequel "The Pale Horseman" really enjoyed it. They are set in the time of Alfred the Great(849 - 899 A.D. He is problably better known for the Sharpe novels (Napoleonic Wars) but has also writter a series about King Arthur.

If you like David Gemmill, I think you might like Bernard Cornwell also

http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cfm

A man must have a code
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 40>