Print Page | Close Window

BOOKS

Printed From: The Grove Social Club
Category: Non Grove Related Stuff
Forum Name: Off Topic Forum
Forum Description: Discuss Anything off topic here - upcoming events etc.
URL: http://www.theGroveSocialClub.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=320
Printed Date: 19-March-2024 at 03:13
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: BOOKS
Posted By: finno
Subject: BOOKS
Date Posted: 24-November-2006 at 14:30
I thought I might start a new topic with this subject. What can be included here are books you have read and enjoyed, your favourite book, books that moved you (at a stretch this could be guide books!) books that you would recommend. Any genre, I think you get the idea.
- I've got this far but where to start?
I first read Lord of the Rings in 1976 and cannot remember how many imes i have reread it since (suffice to say with wear and tear and move on my third edition.
At random
Marie Antoinnette by Antonia Fraser. A historian who writes in a clear but enjoyable style (some historians  are too dry
Middlesex by  J Eugenides great novel
Caeser Chronicles By Coleen McCullagh (Approx. 7 novels charting the life of Gauis Julius Caesar)
Riotous assembly and Indecent Exposure by Tom Sharpe 2 of the funniest books I have read

-------------
A man must have a code

Replies:
Posted By: Hayseed Dixie
Date Posted: 24-November-2006 at 16:16

Oh cool thread Finno..now why didn't I think of this...? hehehe!!!

Gotta head home now..but will think about it and post an exceedingly long post later...

I LOOOVE to read!!

-------------
Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. - (Henri Cartier-Bresson)

Date Posted: 24-November-2006 at 17:35
I never go anywhere without a book. My wife and kids are also great readers. It used to be if my wife was buying a handbag ( I hear echoes of Lady Bracknell!) in our pre-car days it had to be capable of containing a book plus a fold up umbrella and then a few bits and bobs.

Look forward to your list

-------------
A man must have a code

Posted By: Blondie
Date Posted: 24-November-2006 at 18:29

Ok books dont know where to start so heres a few that spring to mind

Pride and Prejudice Austin

Diary of Anne Frank

LOTR's

Chocolate Joanne harris

Fortunes Rock  Anita Shreeve

Fingersmith Sarh waters

Kite Runner  Khaled hosseini

Any and all of David Gemmel books

God could go on forever

-------------
Blondie
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it !

Posted By: Vinyl Junkie
Date Posted: 24-November-2006 at 19:18
Originally posted by Blondie Blondie wrote:

Do you know, Blondie, that DG sadly passed away earlier this year.  Very sad.  RIP David Gemmell.

-------------
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).

Date Posted: 24-November-2006 at 19:25

Like you Finno, I have read and re-read LOTR from cover to cover many times.  Being into the Fantasy Genre in general, I like stuff by David Gemmell, Jack Vance, Michael Moorcock, Piers Anthony, Terry Pratchett but my favourite books are the "Game of Thrones" series by George RR Martin - just couldnt put any of the series down (and I really mean that) - amazing books....

-------------

Date Posted: 24-November-2006 at 21:05
Blondie,
Pride & Prejudice but also really liked Persuasion. Also like Joanne Harris  "Five quarters of the Orange" - when I was buying this and had to ask a sales assistant had they got it got a snotty response "Dont be ridiculous you can only have four quarters!"
Ive read some of David Gemmills, love Terry Pratchett - nothing short of a genius
Read Anne Frank when I was young didnt do much for me as a book.
Haven't read the rest.
Mel as regards fantasy ive read Tolkein as you know, Terry Goodkind, Robert Jordan (although at this point book 12 or is it 13 i think he is taking the piss its just too long drawn out at this point), Stephen Donaldson  (Chronicles of Thomas Covenent thought the final one , the sixth tied up all loose ends better than any other. now stopping to draw breath!

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 24-November-2006 at 23:48

Finno, lost interest in Robert Jordans "Wheel of Time" after about book 9 although it was enjoyable (mostly) until then..maybe he is tied to a set number of books with his publisher..? 

Allow me to recommend a book I was loaned by a friend - its called "The blade itself" by Joe Abercrombie.  I'm really enjoying it, I must say - check it out if you're looking for a good read...

-------------

Date Posted: 25-November-2006 at 02:22

Okay..well..where to start..

Favourite authors... Anne Rice..probably my all time favourite..have all of her books ..even the latest gone religious on us tome...Tolkien...likewise have read and re-read LOTR several times..Charles Dickens,...favourite is Great Expectations...Isaac Asimov..my very favourite Sci-fi and Sci-fact writer..Virginia Woolf...fell in love with her novel Mrs Dalloway after watching the movie The Hours...then read several more of her books and a brilliant biography written by her nephew....

Modern writers I like tend to be Crime and thrillers...Jonathon Kellerman..John Connolly (one of our own)...Patricia Cornwell...Val McDermid...

I do tend to read more factual books than novels these days...particular favourite is Robert Fisk..The Great War for Civilisation is a fantastic book...I like to read historically based books...have read a lot of books on the Vietnam conflict and American civil rights history..plus our own history..like science based books too...particularly anything dealing with genetics and evolution at the moment..

Right now I'm interested in photography so am reading several books on that subject...

Anyway..is late..and I've babbled enough...if I think of more I'll post tomorrow....

-------------
Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. - (Henri Cartier-Bresson)

Date Posted: 25-November-2006 at 12:42
Originally posted by Brunswick Brunswick wrote:

Do you know, Blondie, that DG sadly passed away earlier this year.  Very sad.  RIP David Gemmell.

God no I didnt Bruns jesus thats awful.

-------------
Blondie

Date Posted: 25-November-2006 at 12:46

Yeh Bruns and Finno agree about Wheel of time by Jordan think i gave up at book 8 or 9 started to get boring then.

If going to talk classice wot you think of

Wuthering Heights

Lorna Doone

Women In Love

??????????????

-------------
Blondie

Date Posted: 25-November-2006 at 12:48

Havent read many factual book though love anything to do with Arthurian legends.

Went to Tintagnel in Crornwell really magical place.

Mainly autobiographies

-------------
Blondie

Date Posted: 25-November-2006 at 13:21

What's the most interesting Bio or autobio you've read Blondie?

Think mine would probably be In Memory Yet Green..Isaac Asimov..(had to get it second hand from Amazon..First Edition too...is long out of print). It's the first volume of his Autobiography..can't get my hands on the second one...least not for a half decent price..

Probably my other favourite would be Virginia Woolf: A Biography  by Quentin Bell...who was her nephew...and features in the film The Hours if anyone's seen it..he was one of the two little boys who comes to visit with Virginia's sister.

Anyway..it really is a great read if you ever come across it.

I like Biographies like yourself Blondie..and love the Biography Channel on Sky...

-------------

Posted By: Biker Pat
Date Posted: 25-November-2006 at 14:22

Current books to be read.

1. Rose Coloured Thistle by Lerato Mokone (Muller's lovely wife).

2. Cycling Around Dublin by Jim Brady (a loan from Muller)

3. Pandemic by James Barrington

Just haven't had time recently to read these but will soon.

-------------
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 25-November-2006 at 19:13
I've just started the Robert Fisk and am enjoying it. I think he is the No. 1 journalist  fantastic writer inciteful articles.

Read "An Evil Cradling"  by Brian Keenan, of all the books about hostages this was the most moving.

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 25-November-2006 at 20:25

Hd mostly people interested in Bob Dylan Billy Connolly JFK Martin Luther god will hav to check book shelfs.

Would be interested in Virginia Woolf book and the movie must put it on my list.

DH Lawrence would be on my book shelves too hav to be honest never without a book if bstuck will read cornflake box !!!!!!!!!

-------------
Blondie

Posted By: Rolo
Date Posted: 26-November-2006 at 12:59

Originally posted by finno finno wrote:

I've just started the Robert Fisk and am enjoying it. I think he is the No. 1 journalist  fantastic writer inciteful articles.

Think he's very biased in his writing Finno.

Read the big book on hols this summer and was struck by his very strong Pro Palestinian bias.

I'm not gonna start to argue the pros and cons of the great debate here, as obviously everyone has their own opinions on the subject. Just the stuff was very one sided.

Posted By: Esthalon
Date Posted: 26-November-2006 at 15:34

Where to start....

Definitely LOTR....it's so far ahead it hardly seems fair to compare anything else to it.

P&P Jane Austen (Love all her stuff but I'm potty about P&P....be warned DO NOT get me started)

Huge Gemmell Fan so anything by him. Can't believe I'll have to content myself with his 30 odd books....He was just in his prime as a writer.

-------------
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for Breakfast!

Date Posted: 26-November-2006 at 17:19
Rolo, He may seem to be a bit biased but when he's practically the only one giving the view from the other side. Not a topic for here I agree but over a pint some time.

Some other books:
The Diaries of Victor Klemperer. Survived the war living in Dresden as a jew.
Anything By Carl Hiaasen

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 26-November-2006 at 20:55

Just started to read his Troy trilogy of Troy books cant  believe be's gone did he finish third one ?????????????

-------------
Blondie

Date Posted: 26-November-2006 at 22:53
Originally posted by Rolo Rolo wrote:

Think he's very biased in his writing Finno.

Read the big book on hols this summer and was struck by his very strong Pro Palestinian bias.

I'm not gonna start to argue the pros and cons of the great debate here, as obviously everyone has their own opinions on the subject. Just the stuff was very one sided.

I'm pretty sure he says that himself in his book. Goes so far as to say that he can't abide by the "must always be balanced"  type of journalism. He wears his convictions on his sleeve and has lived among the people he writes about for many years. How many journalists would try to write an unbiased piece on the Nazi's or the Holocaust or any modern neo fascist group?..and rightly so..sometimes journalists have to take a stance. Personally I have always found Robert Fisk takes the side of the most vulnerable and oppressed people wherever he reports from..including our own conflict. I think that this book is as equally scathing of Arab and Muslim leaders and extremists as it is of Israeli and US leadership, and his description of the horror that was the Iran/Iraq war was rivetting and horrifying at the same time, and he didn't write it from the comfort of a BBC studio like a lot of so called journalists at the time.

In fact the one major figure in  the whole Palestinian conflict I think he is most scathing about in the book is Yasser Arafat who was and still is considered a great leader among a lot of Palestinian people, but who Fisk clearly believes was a self promoter and more interested in his own political advancement than the plight of the people he was supposed to be leading.

I would not see Fisk as Anti American as a lot of the right wing press like to paint him, in fact if you read a lot of his articles he has a deep admiration and respect for the American people. It is people like Bush and Chaney that he despises, and in that respect he is in tune with more than 50% of the American electorate at the moment.

I have always found in reading his books and articles that he has a genuine kinship with victims of war everywhere, be they Palestinians, Iraqi's, Israeli's, Americans and irrespective whether they are murdered by suicide bombers, Israeili tanks, American missiles or brutal dictators. A dead child is a dead child in any country and in any language. From a personal viewpoint I think the world needs people like Robert Fisk to stand up and be counted and tell us what is really happening. I for one dont want to be relying on Fox or CNN or Al Jazeera or even RTE for that matter.

Anyway..sorry for rabbiting on...is something I feel quite strongly about as you might have gathered..plus I like to drag out my soapbox every now and then..hehehe!!

Peace and love and all that

-------------

Date Posted: 27-November-2006 at 08:24

Hey HD dont hang back now just come right out and say wot you think !!!!

Ok have not read Robert Fisk so cant give an opinion will check him out though

-------------
Blondie

Date Posted: 27-November-2006 at 10:00

Hayseed we must have a chat.

Earlier this year i read "This Thing of Darkness" by H Thompson, This is from a review in the Times

CHARLES DARWIN HAD an odd-shaped life. Young, in debt, a conventional believer due to become a parson, he made a journey that was supposed to take two years. It lasted five. He was ill for ever thereafter (probably from a disease contracted in South America), but raised a large family while dissecting, observing and speculating about nature in his Kent garden. He gathered proofs and illustrations for a theory begun on that voyage, and on the way lost his belief in God. Twenty years after the voyage of The Beagle, On the Origin of Species pitchforked him into public battles with the Church.

But Darwin had a happy marriage, money, success. The action-packed life of the secretly manic-depressive captain who invited him onto The Beagle ended in suicide.

It is a brave, sad tale. Socially, practically, Robert Fitzroy was far ahead of his time. He championed the rights of people whom Victorian gentlemen and rapacious white settlers in New Zealand called savages, believing they should be treated equally. He brought Fuegian natives to England and returned them home at his own expense. He promoted meteorology and weather bulletins, which saved many lives but were halted in England by vested interests. Owners lost money not when fishermen died, but when boats did not go out because of forecasts.

Fitzroy constantly fought for ideals and lost. The Fuegians were damaged by coming to England. His young sailors died. And despite his scientific interests, he passionately defended biblical truth. Mutation of species, as they called it then, threatened belief in the literal truth of Genesis.

This became a dangerous issue on The Beagle. It later divided Darwin and Fitzroy. And this conflict drives Harry Thompson’s fictionalised picture of Fitzroy’s life. This Thing of Darkness does not work as a novel. Thompson has done fantastic research but cannot step back from it; the sentences are not alert enough. But as fictionalised biography, this is a fascinating read. Behind the rich textures, all those sailors, storms and places — Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego, Galapagos — is a grim battle about the origin of life."

I found it a fascinating book to read and as as a first novel it promised a lot. Unfortunately just after it was published the author died of cancer.

Another very moving was "Suite Francaise" by Irčne Némirovsky was written in France under the occupation( in 1942) and was set as france was overrun by Gernam army. the first half is a gripping description of people trying to get away from paris a mass exodus with the roads clogged with people fleeing with cars/ carts ,baggage and then abandoning them. The author died in Autchwitz.  

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 27-November-2006 at 11:53
No worries on the Soap Box HD, will enjoy the debate, as Finno says, over a couple of lemonades, one of the days.

Date Posted: 27-November-2006 at 13:23

Hey HD dont hang back now just come right out and say wot you think !!!!

Ok have not read Robert Fisk so cant give an opinion will check him out though

hehehehe!! Do ya think?

-------------

Date Posted: 27-November-2006 at 13:26

No worries on the Soap Box HD, will enjoy the debate, as Finno says, over a couple of lemonades, one of the days.

Oh yeah...defo...just one thing tho...

Forget the lemonades...can't have a proper debate over non alcoholic substances..hehehe!!

All the fun debates are drink fueled and passionate...

So plenty of the blackstuff and whiskey....yee haaar!!

-------------

Date Posted: 27-November-2006 at 13:34

Hayseed we must have a chat.

Sure thing. Those two books seem well worth checking out. Especially the Darwin book. Am fascinated with the whole genesis of the theory of evolution and it's conflict with popular religious belief.

I find books on the Holocaust extremely difficult to read though..have read quite a few...and they always leave me feeling angry and depressed that human beings are capable of such cruelty and savagery.

On a lighter note, I have a book on the life of the great Brazilian footballer Garrincha which I haven't got around to reading yet....but it looks fascinating...so gonna have to get dug into it soon.

Would also like to find a good book on the life of Bobby Darin...(and no..haven't seen the movie yet). I saw a documentary on his life on the Biography channel about 2 years ago and it was amazing. If a Hollywood scriptwriter had written it it would be laughed out of every book publishers in town it was so unbelievable.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-November-2006 at 13:51

Yeah HD,  my two favourite topics for reading material over the years have been The Holocaust and the Northern " Troubles."

Jaysis must've read everything ( obviously open to correction here ) ever written on the North up to two or three years ago. In fact, my first encounter with Fisk was his book on the UWC Strike in the early seventies.

Nowadays give me a well written Biography any time. Can recommend Paul McGrath's bio, " Back From The Brink."

Date Posted: 27-November-2006 at 14:56

I have a whole wardrobe full of books at home that Bluebell keeps threatening to throw out someday when I'm not there...but so far she hasn't on pain of divorce..hehehe!!

Of course every now and then I have to do a bit of trimming and give a few books to the local bring and buy sale...but I hate parting with them..there is something magical about a book and the memories it can hold.

I remember the first book that made a really strong impression on me was Alex Haley's "Roots"...which subsequently turned out to be almost a complete fabrication..although the stories were based on genuine family history...it just wasn't his family history but an amalgamation of stories he'd picked up from people he'd interviewed.

I'm sure there's a good book in the story of the writing of the book

-------------

Date Posted: 27-November-2006 at 17:54
Robert Fisk wrote a book a number of years ago on the "Emergency" aka ww2 to the rest of the world very good

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 27-November-2006 at 19:14

Heard Paul McGrath do an interview the other week seems like book has full story warts and all as they say .

Must put it on my christmas list

-------------
Blondie

Date Posted: 27-November-2006 at 22:31

Just started to read his Troy trilogy of Troy books cant  believe be's gone did he finish third one ?????????????

As far as I know he only finished the 2nd one in the trilogy....if anyone knows otherwise please let me know!!!

-------------

Posted By: Bluebell
Date Posted: 28-November-2006 at 00:09
I reckon I get the best value out of a book...cos it takes me around 6 months to read a book. I hate reading during the day so I only read at night, but I'm so tired then that I read about 3 pages and I fall asleep  ...I do love reading though, but the books I read are "mushey love stories"....the last book I read was "temptation" by Anne Dillion, great book....well I thought so 

-------------
You are what you wanna be....age doesn't matter

Date Posted: 28-November-2006 at 07:17
Originally posted by Esthalon Esthalon wrote:

As far as I know he only finished the 2nd one in the trilogy....if anyone knows otherwise please let me know!!!

Was wondering that myself just finished the second one which was fantastic as usual .

-------------
Blondie

Date Posted: 28-November-2006 at 10:48

Heard Paul McGrath do an interview the other week seems like book has full story warts and all as they say .

Must put it on my christmas list

Defo Blondie. For me Ooh Aah Paul McGrath was the second best player ever to play for Ireland and to read this book just makes you wonder how he ever managed to get his boots on, let alone perform the way he did for so long.

Date Posted: 28-November-2006 at 15:10

Yeh Rolo decided to treat myself in Hughes and Hughes omnio today.

For anyone who is interested hes signing his book there on 8th of December.

Also had a chat with guy there re Gemmel he reckons third book was finished and will dhortly be available

-------------
Blondie

Date Posted: 28-November-2006 at 23:18
Neil Gaiman is an interesting writer novels and graphic novels.

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 20-December-2006 at 22:38

Reading "1215 the Year of Magna Carta" Its basically a snapshot of life in that year

"Have you forgotten Magna Carta? Did she die in vain?" - Tony Hancock

-------------
A man must have a code

Posted By: LORRI
Date Posted: 20-December-2006 at 23:01
 "I Know this much is true" by Wally Lamb is a really good story

Date Posted: 20-December-2006 at 23:03
never heard of him what sort of books does he write?

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 21-December-2006 at 10:25

Yeh Rolo decided to treat myself in Hughes and Hughes omnio today.

For anyone who is interested hes signing his book there on 8th of December.

Also had a chat with guy there re Gemmel he reckons third book was finished and will dhortly be available

That's Super news....but feel a bit selfish that I'm delighted over that, wish he was around to write a whole heap more trilogies.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-December-2006 at 11:04

Have you ever tried Tad Williams

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn
1. The Dragonbone Chair 2. The Stone of Farewell 3. To Green Angel Tower

or Stephen Donaldson?

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 21-December-2006 at 12:49
Yes Read Tad Williams 1 2 & 3 also read his Otherland Saga...a bit patchy in places but when it was good it was fabulous.

-------------

Posted By: xgrovehead
Date Posted: 21-December-2006 at 13:01

Have you ever tried Tad Williams

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn
1. The Dragonbone Chair 2. The Stone of Farewell 3. To Green Angel Tower

Firstly how I have managed to not see this post till now?  I devour books, fiction, non fiction, historic novels, read my first graphic novel recently and loved it!  Basically I will read anything.

Yep, read them several times Finno and really enjoyed them. first time I read them I borrowed Bruns copies - thanks Mel! I have my own copies now.  biggrin1  Anyone read his Otherland series?  i found them hard going very different to MS and T, but I did enjoy it.   I see he has a new epic series out.

Would really recommed Marge Piercy - Gone to Soldiers and Ursula Heigi - Stones from the River, both with a WWII setting, brilliantly written and gripping stories.

Have loads of non fiction in the bookcase to read, never seem to get near them these days though.  Robert Fisk is there as is Diarmaid Ferriter, "The Transformation of Ireland" and Frank McDonald "Chaos at the Crossroads".  Must get to them.

I enjoyed Wally Lamb.  If you like him try Richard Russo - Empire Falls and Straight Man.

Could go on and on but there's still work here to be done!  Happy Reading and lets hope Santa brings lots of books next week.

Date Posted: 21-December-2006 at 13:56

Anyone read any Robin Hobb (Farseer Trilogy & Liveship traders) if not highly recommend to anyone interested in Fantasy. Read the two Farseer trilogy's backto back when the second set came out. Pure Magic!

-------------

Posted By: eejit91
Date Posted: 21-December-2006 at 14:02

Originally posted by Hayseed Dixie Hayseed Dixie wrote:

Oh yeah...defo...just one thing tho...

Forget the lemonades...can't have a proper debate over non alcoholic substances..hehehe!!

All the fun debates are drink fueled and passionate...

So plenty of the blackstuff and whiskey....yee haaar!!

Damn I will just hate to miss that brawl!!!! that just might finish this website for good!  I suggest you drink quite a few before the debate and when your good and drunk then start into it!!!!! you know at that point when you clearly know your perfect and right in every way.

-------------
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."

Date Posted: 21-December-2006 at 15:14
I hate to disapoint you but there will be no brawl! There will be a mature discussion as why Rolo is wrong or where he has an "accident" as he leaves the premises with a fatwa ringing in his ears!

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 21-December-2006 at 15:15
Probably tripping over Mins plo scarf

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 21-December-2006 at 15:29

I hate to disapoint you but there will be no brawl! There will be a mature discussion as why Rolo is wrong or where he has an "accident" as he leaves the premises with a fatwa ringing in his ears!

Sorry Finno,

I'll have all me mates along, all the Goldbergs, Goldsteins and their brothers to look after me !

Date Posted: 21-December-2006 at 15:31
I'll just bring Sheflin and the rest of the cats  - like cream always on top.

-------------
A man must have a code

Posted By: Pogue Mahoney
Date Posted: 21-December-2006 at 17:31

I hate to disapoint you but there will be no brawl! There will
be a mature discussion as why Rolo is wrong or where he has an "accident"
as he leaves the premises with a fatwa ringing in his ears!

It will be like having a gihad with a geehead

Nyuk, nyuk...just kiddin Rolo

Posted By: star
Date Posted: 21-December-2006 at 19:30
Originally posted by Pogue Mahoney Pogue Mahoney wrote:

[QUOTE=finno] I hate to disapoint you but there will be no brawl! There will
be a mature discussion as why Rolo is wrong or where he has an "accident"
as he leaves the premises with a fatwa ringing in his ears!

It will be like having a gihad with a geehead ...horrible word POGUE mahoney

-------------
Never Again on a school night! Famous last words

Date Posted: 21-December-2006 at 19:33

One of the books I most remember from my days of my early teens and that had a great impact on me is called "Where The Red Fern Grows". Don't know who the author was but you will find it on Amazon. Get it for your kids, it's a fantastic story and heartwarming and heartbreaking, covers every emotion really. And of course read it yourself, or better still read it to them at night.

ooh and who can forget "To Kill A Mockingbird ".. need i say more!   

-------------

Date Posted: 21-December-2006 at 21:09
"To Kill A Mockingbird "....Classic!

-------------

Posted By: Pogue Mahoney
Date Posted: 21-December-2006 at 22:18
Originally posted by star star wrote:

horrible word POGUE mahoney

Ah- I apologise for using it. The original joke where I heard it was about
Bush, so it was used in its proper context.

Date Posted: 21-December-2006 at 23:23

That's ok Pogue, just hate that G word.. yeuch.

Dunno that Bush joke, is it good?

-------------

Date Posted: 21-December-2006 at 23:50

Jaysus!! What's this lads..I go away for a week or so and this place turns into Vice City with all this talk of my gang and your gang and fatwahs and Gihad's...

We are all peace lovin' hippies right...? Mostly in suits and ties now..but hey....

hehehe!!

Damn..I've been away too long

-------------

Date Posted: 22-December-2006 at 00:11
Im not in a suit let alone a tie!

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 22-December-2006 at 00:23

Oh well..right...everyone cept Finno...ya oul rebel ya...hehehe

-------------

Date Posted: 04-January-2007 at 09:46
Any Harry Potter fans out there amongst you?  The seventh and last book is being finished off apparently and will be published later this year!!  Can't wait myself.

Date Posted: 04-January-2007 at 10:02
Yes but I stopped reading the books after the Goblet.....going to wait until the whole set is finsihed and read them back to back. I've no patience ya see and I hate the waiting around in between releases (that's my excuse anyway and it has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that I have a crap memory and would have to keep reading the entire set over every time a new one came out HONEST!)

-------------

Date Posted: 04-January-2007 at 10:25
Same crap memory here - but saddo that I am I actually enjoy re-reading them every couple of years!

Date Posted: 04-January-2007 at 10:47
Don't get me wrong I do like rereading books but with the amount of tiem I get to read these days I'd never get to read anything else if I reread them all at each release. You read any Robin Hobb yet?

-------------

Date Posted: 04-January-2007 at 13:49
Nope - any good?

Date Posted: 04-January-2007 at 14:29

She's my current Favourite......Strictly Fantasy of course.

There's the Farseer and the Tawny man trilogy both based around the same characters but set about 15 years apart (I highly recommend reading the 6 of them back to back). And then there's the Liveship Trilogy set in a different part of the same land with different characters.

All are excellent if you are a fantasy fan.

She also has another Trilogy in the works but set in a totally different land etc. Waiting on book 3 to come out before I start that set.

-------------

Posted By: irish_mammy
Date Posted: 04-January-2007 at 14:40

For some light reading I'd recommend Cathy Kelly.

Enjoyed her books on many a plane flight.

-------------
Lesley

25th June - 25th July. Get organising my nights out. Child can stay in the car.

Grove 1980-1984

Posted By: Floyd
Date Posted: 04-January-2007 at 22:54
Read 'The Story So Far' on this site once...

-------------
There are three kinds of people in the world,those who are able to count,and those who can't...

Date Posted: 05-January-2007 at 00:12
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is the title of the last volume . Read somewhere it would be out end of April.

-------------
A man must have a code

Posted By: russell
Date Posted: 05-January-2007 at 00:57

Not A fan of Harry potter ...but do remember reading (when i was living in Scotland and without work ) all of LOTR trilogy. read the whole thing within a week.  Didn't put it down ..except to eat and take a nap.

Here some novels that I really loved reading and I can highly recomend .

Music and Silence  ..Rose Tremain

Perfume .............Patrick Suskind

The journeys of Socrates ....Dan Millman

-------------
Russ

Date Posted: 05-January-2007 at 10:35

Hey Russ I did the same with LOTR's books was off work sick for a week and read them in about 5 days couldnt put them down.

Am re reading all my David Gemmel books at min anmd loving them all just as much as first time

-------------
Blondie

Date Posted: 05-January-2007 at 11:36
Hey Blondie, who's your fav Gemmell character / Book?

-------------

Date Posted: 05-January-2007 at 14:19

God Esthalon I dont know Druss I suppose but hav to say love them all.

Really njoyed the first two books in Troy series fingers crossed for third.

also love the way he had strong women characters in his books.

J

-------------
Blondie

Date Posted: 01-February-2007 at 16:28
Lads I hear that Harry Potter is being released on 21st July.  Put that in your diaries now!

Date Posted: 01-February-2007 at 16:30

Hi X have to say stopped reading them after third or fourth might start again and see if I can catch up.

have seen all the movies

-------------
Blondie

Date Posted: 01-February-2007 at 17:01
Has anyone read "Catch 22"? I've been trying to read it but it's doing my head in, would keep going if someone could tell me it'll get better but everyone in the book is nuts, and not in a funny way.

-------------

Date Posted: 01-February-2007 at 18:19

Doesn't get any better June.

Either you love Yossarian from the start or you hate him..........either way it's just nuts the whole way through.

Watch the movie,it's much quicker.

Posted By: muller
Date Posted: 01-February-2007 at 20:38

Hey Esthalon, I have tried to read it several times but gave up. Like James Mitchener's Texas. Can never get into it athough I have read several other of Mitchener's mighty tomes. Anyone else give up on books after a few pages?

btw Just reread King Solomon's Mines by H Rider Hagard. Rollicking great adventure even for the tenth time. It's been a long time and the auld memory isn't what it was)

-------------
Life is for living

Date Posted: 01-February-2007 at 20:43

Hey june think I tried years and years ago but never made it past first few chapters.

Muller read quite a few of mitcheners books but never tried texas enjoyed his others though.

-------------
Blondie

Date Posted: 01-February-2007 at 23:48

Thanks Guys! You make me feel better about giving up....No idea how it made it so high up in the "Big Read" top 100.

Off to bed with some Robin Hobb, a good dose of Fantasy should chase that lunatic Yossarian away!

-------------

Date Posted: 09-February-2007 at 11:08

Just read Bernard Cornwell's "The Last Kingdom", got sequel "The Pale Horseman" really enjoyed it. They are set in the time of Alfred the Great(849 - 899 A.D. He is problably better known for the Sharpe novels (Napoleonic Wars) but has also writter a series about King Arthur.

If you like David Gemmill, I think you might like Bernard Cornwell also

http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cfm - http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cfm

-------------
A man must have a code

Posted By: muller
Date Posted: 09-February-2007 at 12:40
Hey Finno - try Gallows Thief - brilliant

-------------
Life is for living

Posted By: Sharon
Date Posted: 09-February-2007 at 13:56

Just finished Celia Aherns new book took me since xmas to finish it I so dont like her, 1st book was amusing others were boring flash in the pan she should be getting paid for such drival

Shar

-------------
All I wanted was chips!!

Date Posted: 17-September-2007 at 15:09
Sad news for fans of fantasy books.  Robert Jordan (author of the Wheel of Time series) passed away yesterday.

-------------

Posted By: Biker Pat
Date Posted: 17-September-2007 at 15:19

Currently reading "The Righteous Men" by Sam Bourne.

Excellent.

-------------
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Posted By: Black Russian
Date Posted: 17-September-2007 at 16:19

Sad news for fans of fantasy books.  Robert Jordan (author of the Wheel of Time series) passed away yesterday.

But he hasn't finish "The Wheel of Times" series of books yet... or has he ??

P

-------------
"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th

Posted By: Bluebell
Date Posted: 17-September-2007 at 16:23
Just finished reading "The secret diary of a demented housewife" by Niamh Greene. It's a great book about a mother trying to deal with small kids and a husband and her friends........really funny in parts.

-------------
You are what you wanna be....age doesn't matter

Date Posted: 17-September-2007 at 16:23

Originally posted by Black Russian Black Russian wrote:

But he hasn't finish "The Wheel of Times" series of books yet... or has he ??

May I respectfully suggest that he has now.........................whether he likes it or not

Posted By: Black Russian
Date Posted: 17-September-2007 at 16:50
Originally posted by Bluebell Bluebell wrote:

Just finished reading "The secret diary of a demented housewife" by Niamh Greene. It's a great book about a mother trying to deal with small kids and a husband and her friends........really funny in parts.

How true to life is it BB ???

P

-------------
"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th

Date Posted: 17-September-2007 at 19:08

BUGGER!
So what happens now. As it is, I thought he was starting to drag it out a bit but I was hoping it would soon reach a conclusion.

Anyone like Terry Goodkind? sword of truth novels

-------------
A man must have a code

Posted By: Evangeline
Date Posted: 17-September-2007 at 22:03

Maybe they'll get a ghost-writer. (No pun intended!)

Jen

-------------
"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"

Posted By: verh
Date Posted: 17-September-2007 at 22:12

Just star5ted BILL BRYSON

A Short History of Nearly Everything

V

Posted By: whippersnapper
Date Posted: 18-September-2007 at 10:00

Went to the library a few weeks ago - and yet again the books are overdue, but enough about that.

Got a book called "What's Left" by Nick Coen - ecxcellent analysis of how the left have changed and some of their stances now are strange to say the least. A view from a particular angle, but nonetheless a good read

Also got some essays from the McGill summer school from a few years back - Richard Bruton and Paul Cullen the top performers so far.

Haven't read fiction in god knows how long - it's either political analysis or sport for me.

Sad, I know, but I do love the political intrigue.

-------------
I'm searching for that cash I should have saved for the crash

Date Posted: 18-September-2007 at 11:26

I am reading a series of books by Simon Scarrow. Based around two characters in a Roman Legion (II Augusta) in 43 AD(CE - take your choice) and the Claudian invasion of Britain. I am enjoying them

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 18-September-2007 at 14:04

Sounds good, Finno. My son is big into Roman History and they sound like they'd be right up his street. Must look out for them in the library for him.

Jen

-------------

Date Posted: 18-September-2007 at 16:00

I am reading a series of books by Simon Scarrow. Based around two characters in a Roman Legion (II Augusta) in 43 AD(CE - take your choice) and the Claudian invasion of Britain. I am enjoying them

On the strenght of first book bought 2 to 7

1. Under the Eagle

2. The Eagle's Conquest
3. When the Eagle Hunts

4. The Eagle and the Wolves
5. The Eagle's Prey
6. The Eagle's Prophecy
7. The Eagle in the Sand

Got first one and it cost me €12.99. Bought rest from Play.com and paid €9.99 each ( well 2 were €8.99)

When you first go on Play.com prices are in Sterling but click onEuropean flag and they change to euro. Delivery is free

-------------
A man must have a code

Posted By: Mins
Date Posted: 18-September-2007 at 16:30
I am reading..

Dissecting Death..Secrets of a Medical Examiner..

Like the CSI stuff.

Good read actually.

Posted By: verh
Date Posted: 18-September-2007 at 21:19

any Wilbur Smith fans out there ?

V

Date Posted: 18-September-2007 at 23:57

On the strenght of first book bought 2 to 7

1. Under the Eagle

2. The Eagle's Conquest
3. When the Eagle Hunts

4. The Eagle and the Wolves
5. The Eagle's Prey
6. The Eagle's Prophecy
7. The Eagle in the Sand

Got first one and it cost me €12.99. Bought rest from Play.com and paid €9.99 each ( well 2 were €8.99)

When you first go on Play.com prices are in Sterling but click onEuropean flag and they change to euro. Delivery is free

Thanks Finno. Andrew loves a good read. I'll definitely look into hunting these up for him.

Jen

-------------

Posted By: RoundaboutToo!
Date Posted: 19-September-2007 at 00:18
they sound good Finno, I liked Roman history in school so will have a look.

not much of a reader though, but picked up 'The Water of The Wondrous Isles' by William Morris a while back, anyone know of it?
Liked the cover! haven't opened it yet..

Sorry V, don't know Wilbur...
CP

Date Posted: 20-September-2007 at 09:10
Read one or two of Wilbur Smith years ago but cant remember much about them

-------------
A man must have a code

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net