The Grove Social Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BOOKS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2018 at 16:06
Hmmmm, BP, might root out that book and read it so. We did have a book in the house in Raheny years ago - I think it was fiction - which was based around the opium "wars" in China. I was absolutely fascinated by it. The name just won't come to me.

My elder brother Jim was a great, voracious reader, and he passed that gift to me and my younger brother. Never hassled us into reading, just left all kinds of books and magazines around the place and us, curious as all kids are, we would invariably pick up some of them and read them. It was gas, my mother was kinda a woman of her times (this was mid to late 60s) and certainly wouldn't have approved of some of the books left lying around - I mean proper books now - eg, I had read a certain amount of Arthur Miller, John Updike by the time I was 13 or 14 - and all the better for it! I often wonder are modern-day kids missing out by spending all their free time (or so it seems) peering at screens ... ah, just me being a typical oul fella I suppose
One of its legs is both the same
Sponsored Links

Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2018 at 16:45
Lol, make a small typo in the post above! It was not Arthur Miller (death of a salesman etc) I read, but Henry Miller (Tropic of Cancer, Tropic of Capricorn etc)..,

Also, Erica Jong, interesting writer (The zipless f**k etc) ...
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2018 at 14:16
"The Mafia - The first 100 years" - William Balsamo and George Carpozi jr.

Fascinating insight into the whole Mafia set up.
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Black Russian View Drop Down
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2018 at 14:33
Currently reading this... It's not too heavy..

The Uncommon People
"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2018 at 11:55
"The Burning Tigris - A History Of The Armenian Genocide" - Peter Balakian

About the genocide that the Islamic Ottoman (Turkey) empire perpetuated on the Christian Armenian people.

The crimes against humanity recorded in this book would make you wonder if we are human at all as no other living species would have done to their fellow species what the Turks did to the Armenians.

And all done in an Islamic jihad against Christian people.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2018 at 12:27
Pat - organised religion; politics; start off with good intentions, gradually descend into lust for power and money ... And the best way to get the mass of people on your side is to cast the ones you're up against as "the other", so that it becomes "us against them". Make people fear and hate "the other" without really knowing them, then you have your people behind you. Hence, Jews in Germany, blacks in America, immigrants every where, travellers and Roma in Ireland and Europe ... Etc etc etc. Once it moves from the individual level to kinda "anonymised" groups of hate figures (as above) then the power-monger so/hate-spreaders have done their job. After that, it's easy for the charismatic (or not so much) leader to bend the crowd to their will...

Phew ...one for Dear Frankie thread ... Or don't tell me I'm on it already 😱

On a lighter note, Pat, don't know if you listened to the show but Jen/Lyn dedicated a Status Quo track specially to you for your birthday 🤗🎁
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2018 at 13:02
Gerry

I tecently did a rant about religion on the Dear Frankie thread.

Missed the show. Was out with friends watching Man United.

Must send a thank you to the radio crew.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2018 at 16:19
Was just the two girls last night for some reason Pat...
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2018 at 21:20
"The Last Valley" - Martin Windrow

Detailed description if the French defeat in Viet Nam.

One wonders after reading this why the Americans ever thought they could ever win a war in Viet Nam.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2018 at 17:39
"Chickenhawk" - Robert Mason

True story about a US helicopter pilots experience in the Viet Nam war.

His very honest and open account of his feelings towards the futility of that war are well documented in the book and the after effects of the war on his life is shocking.

Edited by Biker Pat - 23-September-2018 at 19:13

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2018 at 17:51
Sounds interesting Pat. I haven't even picked up a book in about 3 weeks, can't seem to find the time/interest right now. I'm like that with books though, can go for weeks without the slightest interest, then I'll read 2 or 3 books one after the other over a period of a week or two ...

The Vietnam war has had consequences for veterans that were completely life-changing in a bad way, and continue still. PTSD, drug and drink addiction, a general restlessness and inability to fit back into normal society, desperate stuff. I suppose they are the after-effects of all wars...
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2018 at 14:05
"Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee" - Dee Brown

An amazing book documenting the systematic destruction of the American Indian during the second half of the nineteenth century.

The American Indians were called savages but after reading this book I know who the real savages we're, the White Men.

It's a heart breaking read and it's hard not to get angry at the destruction of a wonderful civilisation.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
87-92 (I think)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2018 at 13:53
FYI there's a new book coming out about Rory...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2018 at 16:37

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2019 at 09:51
Have been reading bit of Graham Norton, Michael Connolly, Orla McAlinden over the Christmas/New Year period. All entertaining in their own ways, not finished the Connolly one yet: "The Black Ice", published a good while ago, typical cops/robbers/drugs stuff, very enjoyable, take the head away from real-life for a while ...
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2019 at 15:35
While searching for some old photos I came across my copy of this book .

Looked it up on Amazon only to find the going rate of of my addition is £449.97 .

Edited by monarch - 10-October-2019 at 15:37
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2019 at 16:49
Wow Frank! I assume you're not going to sell it...

(We have an oul Chinese vase thing by some fella called Ming or something, must get it valued one of the days !!! )
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2019 at 00:14
Amazing Frank.

What year was that issued?

Agree with Gerry. Hold on to that. Besides the price it must have some amazing bird species in the book and sadly perhaps some that may be extinct.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2019 at 12:18
Pat , 1973 and would never sell it .
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2019 at 10:32
"They Dare To Speak Out" - Paul Findley

Alarming book about the power that the Jewish/Israeli lobbies have in the United States.

They basically decide US policy in the Middle East and anyone who dares speak out against Israeli actions is silenced in so many ways it's frightening.

Any kind of support for Arab injustices are pounced upon and the speaker/writer is immediately denounced as anti-semitic.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940>