Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > The Grove Documentary Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grove documentary - compilation CD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grove documentary - compilation CD
    Posted: 28-September-2006 at 13:21

Don't know if this is a runner.

Would it be possible to produce a CD of the music in the Grove documentary.

We could then give the proceeds to a charity/hospital etc..

Seeing as 290,000 people tuned into the documentary, if even half the people who tuned in bought the CD, a lot of money could be raised.

It would certainly get in the charts.

Just a thought

Edited by Biker Pat
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Sponsored Links

Bluebell View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
1981 to 1984

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluebell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 13:28
Sounds like a great idea Pat....and would be a great stocking filler for christmas.
You are what you wanna be....age doesn't matter
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 13:31

Reckon the Copyright Police would have something to say about that,unfortunately.

Rolo.

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 13:37
Originally posted by Rolo Rolo wrote:

Reckon the Copyright Police would have something to say about that,unfortunately.

Rolo.

You may be right Rolo but there's been compilations out before so there must be a way round that.

No doubt there'd be a cost but the sales I imagine would cover that.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 13:44

Yeah, often wondered what the cut off point was. I mean how much royalties do song owners charge for something like that.

Reckon there's a flat fee, followed by a percentage of sales revenue or something. Anyone got any ideas ?

Just on that, you know that RTE Programme " Reeling in The Years ". Well I think that's magic. I contacted RTE and asked if they would ever be putting it out on DVD and they said that the copyright royalties for the music and the clips would make it impossible. Pity,'cos it's a great series.

Rolo.

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 13:47
I have an idea we could get Noodles to compose a song dedicated to the Grove! I think that would be a seller!!!!!
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 13:52

Ah yeah T, but who would sing it ?

Rolo.

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 13:54
Originally posted by Rolo Rolo wrote:

Ah yeah T, but who would sing it ?

Rolo.

We all will.

We'll call ourselves GROVE AID

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 13:55
No the Elite Eight!
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 13:56
And we'll call the song "Hopelessly addicted to you"...
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 13:59

Right, I'm on it.

Give us a couple of days.

Noodles.

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 14:01

Originally posted by eejit91 eejit91 wrote:

No the Elite Eight!

Hey hey T. Naughty

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
1981-1985 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
81-85-ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1981-1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 14:06

a trriple CD - each representing a decade, each beginning and ending with the most common opening and closing songs of that period, each with a couple of slow sets and pref. featuring some of the more obsure artists (they may need the royalties - e.g. Will You, Alternative Ulster (others?) are timeless Grove classics, and unike e.g. the Stones, they prob. don't have too much money these days...

re: royalties - have to be paid, no question, but may be less of a problem for a relativly limited release in a (ahem!) minor market like Ireland (?).

but why stop w/ a CD compilation? why not a movie?

Imagine... (Hollywood pitch hat on) a coming of age movie about a group of northsiders (remember the Commitments!) set in the early 80s (OK - so I'm not being too objective) against the back-drop of fragmenting musical genres, slow-burn sexual revolution, mass-emigration

Imagine...  imagine the Grove as a decade long "American Wake"... in todays post-Tiger, consumer-"heaven", its easy to forget that we all thought that even if the Irish branch of CND didn't stop the eventual US/USSR nuclear holocost, most us us would prob. still have to leave the country...

Imagine... a kinda "Big Wenesday" or "Big Chill" reunion years later...

Few societies have gone through the change ours has - few have the stories or charecters... 

Lizzy Fan
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 14:11

Think this movie is already in production,  81-85.

Cecil mentioned something about it, think it's called 32A.

He mentioned that he has a small part in it.

Rolo.

Bluebell View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
1981 to 1984

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluebell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 14:13
Is this movie....32A ....gonna be a tv movie or released in the pictures ? anyone know?
You are what you wanna be....age doesn't matter
1981-1985 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
81-85-ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1981-1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 14:15

cool - love the name - does it start in the Nep and end in Macari's?

Lizzy Fan
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 14:16

Not far off,as far as I know ( and that's not a lot.)

Supposed to be about three teenage girls from The Northside and growing up etc.,etc. Think The Grove gets a mention,hence Cecil's involvement.

Rolo.

xgrovehead View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 14:17

Originally posted by Bluebell Bluebell wrote:

Is this movie....32A ....gonna be a tv movie or released in the pictures ? anyone know?

Its a Hollywood thing Bluebell - Aidan Quinn is in it, and his sister Marion is the Director. Doubt it'll make the cinemas tho, maybe a straight to DVD, with a limited showing in the Screen and IFI???

And re a singer for Noodles charity number - Star belts out a fine tune, Blondie and I went very quiet beside her at the preview when she was singing along to Choirgirls Bohemian Rhapsody!  She certainly put my warbling to shame! (which wouldn't be hard)

Re the CD suggestion - Pat its a good one and I like 81/85 format idea, but i think the copyright will kill it.  Didn't someone mention that RTE have canned the doc DVD idea coz of the copyright issues on the music?

Edited by xgrovehead
We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors, we have only borrowed it from our children.
-Ancient Proverb.
1981-1985 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
81-85-ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1981-1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 14:19
Lizzy Fan
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 14:20

Excellent Xgh. Forgot about Star's singing ability.

Was worried yiz might ask me.biggrinbiggrin

Back to work,

See yiz.

Rolo.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>