Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What Album are you listening to most at the moment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 150>
Author
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
83-86ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 13:14
would it be The Far Corporation???
Impotence; nature's way of saying no hard feelings!
Sponsored Links

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 14:25

Just driving along this morning and listening to Summerfly - Maura O'Connell off the Womens Heart CD.  I just love that song not to mention Caledonia and The Island - Dolores Keane.  It's a pretty good CD all round.

Yesterday it was Janis Ian - Between the lines.  Just a few days of easy listening needed.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 15:04
Originally posted by eejit91 eejit91 wrote:

Just driving along this morning and listening to Summerfly - Maura O'Connell off the Womens Heart CD.  I just love that song not to mention Caledonia and The Island - Dolores Keane.  It's a pretty good CD all round.

Yesterday it was Janis Ian - Between the lines.  Just a few days of easy listening needed.

years since I heard that album. 

when the party's over, in the winter, at seventeen and between the lines.

sublime 

A man must have a code
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 15:40

Floydmas I recently bought "Best of foreigner and think there are some great tracks on it.

T will have to pass on A Womans Heart sorry was bought for me way back when did listen to it but then sent it on its merry way to oxfam shop

Blondie
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it !
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 16:01

You have to like that kind of stuff and I am a singer so love Mary Black and really love Deloras Keane.  She has a good hearty Irish voice.  I must admit I am more of an easy listening type of person.  Janis Ian is also just fantatic and I love to listen to a song where you can hear all the words.  Nothing drives me more nuts than listening to a song and the singer is mumbling....grrrrrrr.

If any of you like easy listening get Sarah McLachlan - Mirrorball - it's fantastic.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 21:24
Originally posted by Black Russian Black Russian wrote:

Talking about TOTO and Foreigner etc etc

Name the first band to release Stairway to Heaven as a single

P

It wasnt Zeppelin themselves was it?  The single wasnt widely available admittedly but they did release an Australian EP with that on it.  Not sure if it was first 'single' release of the song though!

TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Stoner View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
83-86ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 22:56
Originally posted by Brunswick Brunswick wrote:

Talking about TOTO and Foreigner etc etc

Name the first band to release Stairway to Heaven as a single

P

It wasnt Zeppelin themselves was it?  The single wasnt widely available admittedly but they did release an Australian EP with that on it.  Not sure if it was first 'single' release of the song though!

I think it was a band called The Far Corporation

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 23:19

Cheers Donal - you're probably right.  Saw your earlier post but just thought it would be just like Peter to fire a trick question at us!  

That Australin EP I was talking about is the one that Cecil has (and I know that Finno has a copy of it as well!).  That single is selling for about €70 in online stores when I last checked.  I got a slightly cheaper version of the single (€20 all the same) on E-bay - a jukebox single with Whole Lotta Love on the B side.

Hayseed Dixie View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
’79 - ’84 (approx)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayseed Dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 23:25

Somewhere in my record collection I have a 12" single extended disco mix of Stairway to Heaven by some awful forgettable funk disco group from the 80's...must root it out and give it a spin one of these days,

Just to remind myself how good the original is...hehehe!!
Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. - (Henri Cartier-Bresson)
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 23:33
Dont forget Rolf Harris's version!
’79 - ’84 (approx)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayseed Dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 23:56

Hehehe!! Classic that...

Just to remind everyone...

Linky

Just ignore the silly girls on the video...it's the only version I could find online.
Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. - (Henri Cartier-Bresson)
’79 - ’84 (approx)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayseed Dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 00:04

and just to counter that awfulness...here's the real thing

Stairway to Heaven
Stoner View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
83-86ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 01:24

Here's abit of info on Stairway to Heaven

A few attempts at a straightforward cover have been made over the years, notably by glam metal band Great White. The supergroup Far Corporation was the first act to chart with a single release of the song, barely making the charts in the U.S., while becoming a top-10 hit in the UK in October 1985. Tiny Tim has a recorded version of the song, on his album Girl, where he is accompanied by the band Brave Combo, and it is played very jazzy and lounge, which is one of three times the song will be played as a lounge song. Frank Zappa recorded an original version of the song during his 1988 world tour, and it appeared on the 1991 live album The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life. In 1993, the band Leningrad Cowboys collaborated with the Red Army Choir to perform a cover of the song.[9]

Singer Dolly Parton recorded a country-bluegrass version on her 2002 album Halos & Horns. Pop singer and conservative Pat Boone chose it to close out his 1997 album of heavy metal covers In a Metal Mood: No More Mr. Nice Guy. A cover by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, which includes only the first three verses of the song, begins with a straightforward rendition, and then kicks into an energetic pop 'punk' style. This cover got them booed off stage while performing during a 2006 Pittsburgh Pirates game.[10] Native American singer Jana recorded a electronic cover of Stairway to Heaven which won the Native American Music Award (Nammy) for Best Song in 2002.

The London Philharmonic Orchestra, under the direction of Peter Scholes, recorded an instrumental version of the song on the album Kashmir: The Symphonic Led Zeppelin. Jazz guitarist Stanley Jordan recorded an instrumental cover of Stairway to Heaven where he simultaneously played two independent parts on one guitar with no overdubs. Rodrigo y Gabriela recently recorded an instrumental cover of Stairway to Heaven for their self-titled album in 2006. An instrumental version has also appeared on the bluegrass album "Pickin' on Zeppelin: A Tribute".

Many other covers are ironic or intentionally humorous, notably Dread Zeppelin's reggae/Elvis-inspired version, Pat Boone's and Richard Cheese's lounge takes, and Rolf Harris's didgeridoo-and-wobble board interpretation (which reached number 7 in the UK charts in 1993). Rolf Harris's version was one of 25 different versions of the song that were performed live by guest stars on the early 1990s Australian chat show The Money or the Gun - each being a unique version of the song in the usually idiosyncratic style of performance of each guest star, following which the best 25 performances of the song were released on video tape for posterity (Rolf Harris' version would appear to be the only version that people are aware of). A compilation of these versions, titled Stairways to Heaven, was put out on the Atlantic label, featuring versions of the song by The Australian Doors Show, The Beatnix, John Paul Young, Kate Ceberano, Leonard Teale, Sandra Hahn and Michael Turkic (Grand Opera), The Ministry of Fun, Neil Pepper, Pardon Me Boys, Robyne Dunn, The Rock Lobsters, Rolf Harris, Vegimite Reggae and others.

Harris is said to have received death threats from fans of the song for his version of this iconic rock anthem. The Foo Fighters's lead singer Dave Grohl also performed a humorous version of the song on The Late Late Show With Craig Kilborn, where he pretended to forget the lyrics (Grohl is an avid Led Zeppelin fan and has numerous tattoos representing the band across his body) and proceeded to improvise the electric guitar solo vocally.

A novelty song featuring the music and arrangement of the song combined with the lyrics to the "Theme from Gilligan's Island" (which has a similar chord progression)[citation needed] was recorded by the San Francisco band Little Roger and the Goosebumps and often featured on the Dr. Demento radio program. Singer Robert Plant has described this as his favorite cover "version" of the song.[

irish_mammy View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
80-84 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_mammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 02:47

Wow Donal,

I never realised so many people attempted a cover version of that song.

Lesley

25th June - 25th July. Get organising my nights out. Child can stay in the car.

Grove 1980-1984
freebird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freebird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 07:46
I can only imagine what Tiny Tim's version was like not to mention John Paul young
muller View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 08:13
I have to admit that I thought Led Zeppelin had never realeased a single. Just goes to show, once again, what a mine of information is found on this site.
Life is for living
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 20:14
Dear oh dear, poor old Rolf Harris getting death threats about his version....the song *was* bad but thats taking things a bit far..
Black Russian View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 20:49
Originally posted by Donal Donal wrote:

Sorry Donal for late reply Yeah apparently first time ever released as a single. Not first time it was was covered

Originally posted by muller muller wrote:

I have to admit that I thought Led Zeppelin had never realeased a single. Just goes to show, once again, what a mine of information is found on this site.

Muller Led Zep never released any singles. Even the EP that Mel has ins't classed a single I think... GO google it

P

"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th
Black Russian View Drop Down
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 20:56
Heres another good Led Zep link

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLkOE4XDBis&mode=re lated&search=" 

Edited by Black Russian
"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 22:13

Originally posted by Donal Donal wrote:

Sorry Donal for late reply Yeah apparently first time ever released as a single. Not first time it was was covered

Originally posted by muller muller wrote:

Muller Led Zep never released any singles. Even the EP that Mel has ins't classed a single I think... GO google it

P

P, not sure if Led Zep ever 'officially' released singles as such but there's an awful lot of 45s by that group available - Black Dog, Rock n' Roll, Communication Breakdown, Whole lotta love..those Japanese Zep singles are always for sale on e-bay!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 150>