Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What Album are you listening to most at the moment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 150>
Author
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
80-84 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_mammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2007 at 14:41
Mins, I think you and I might start finding it hard to post anything here with our liking of CdeB (and yes, defo before Lady in Red)
Lesley

25th June - 25th July. Get organising my nights out. Child can stay in the car.

Grove 1980-1984
Sponsored Links

Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2007 at 22:52
Originally posted by Esthalon Esthalon wrote:

Thanks BB...I just seem to love all that "Bum Band" music e.g. Journey, Foreigner, Asia etc...I call them bum bands due to the amount of posturing and arse wiggling that went on.

Glad I'm not alone in my taste. 

Like all of the above bands too, June.  And yeah, Toto too, Rolo!!  "Hold The Line" is a great song!  Werent they all what the american DJs called "Adult Oriented Rock" or AOR - or maybe I'm thinking of something else!?  Think Styx were sorta in that league too - another band I'm quite fond of.

I also agree with your sentiments June in that these bands are not *all* I like but I do play them when the mood takes me!!

TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Esthalon View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
86 - 90

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esthalon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 09:13

Hey Mel, How are you keeping?

"Hold the Line" what a classic "Bum band" track, must root out some Toto - having so much fun with my CD player....never seem to find much time to listen to music in the house. AOR rings a bell alright, don't know any Styx stuff off the top of my head, must watch out for them.

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for Breakfast!
Bluebell View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
1981 to 1984

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluebell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 09:42
Originally posted by muller muller wrote:

I have to admit I also like Toto and Johnny Clegg

Excuse my ignorance here but who is Johnny Clegg? never heard of him
You are what you wanna be....age doesn't matter
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 09:57

Cant  help you there BB me neither

Listening to Dylan at the min no particular album have a load on computer and just get them to play random for me never know whats coming next

Edited by Blondie
Blondie
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it !
Stoner View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
83-86ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 12:09

Originally posted by Bluebell Bluebell wrote:

http://juluka.free.fr/biography.htm

I never heard of him either so I googled his name and this is what I came up with. Hope it helps.

Impotence; nature's way of saying no hard feelings!
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 12:55

Johnny Clegg is I think South African. Played in a band called Savuka. lyrics are a mix of english and zulu. Would play in the townships and to mixed audiences (which was illegal) prior to the end of apartheid. Sometimes he was called "the White Zulu". Most of his stuff is from 70's and 80's

If you saw "George of the Jungle", you will have heard him sing did a song on the soundtrack think it was called "dogs howling at the moon". 

Have some of his stuff on cassette 

A man must have a code
muller View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 13:01

Sorry BB, I thought he was quite famous. He was born in the the UK but is more associated with South Africa. He is a great performer and is very popular in France. They call him Le Zulu Blanc. He can do all the Zulu kicks and jumps, which he learned as a kid playing with the kids his age. It's mad to think now that they, Jaluka, couldn't perform in SA during apartheid because they were of mixed race. My favoutite song is "scatterlings of Africa" Try Wikipedia for additional info. While you're ther look up Sipho "Hotstix" Mabuse. They are mad. They played in lesotho one tome and we were able to dance with them afterwards at the end of the hall.

Life is for living
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 13:13

Originally posted by finno finno wrote:

Hey Finno, what's a cassette ?

Hayseed Dixie View Drop Down
’79 - ’84 (approx)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayseed Dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 13:46

We have a couple of his CD's  Dear..hehehe!! I'll put it on for you later.....Scatterlings of Africa is one that most people might have heard of!!
Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. - (Henri Cartier-Bresson)
Floyd View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 20:56

Yep Toto's another one.... Yes it's basic..... but that's half the charm ....no hidden meanings. Doesn't mean I don't love Floyd

Doesn't mean I don't love you either,June (Hee Hee!)

Wondered what you meant by 'Bum Bands' but yeah-I guess you're right. But Foreigner don't really fall in there,do they?

Remember 'That was yesterday'? A real teenage,coming of age song. Real Grove stuff. Missed oppurtunity,lost love-we've all been there,right?

Got their Best Of mix recently-all the usuals. Juke Box hero is a real rocker-great guitar. And an acoustic version of Urgent-Brill!

Edited by Floydman
There are three kinds of people in the world,those who are able to count,and those who can't...
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 21:03

Hey Mel, How are you keeping?

"Hold the Line" what a classic "Bum band" track, must root out some Toto - having so much fun with my CD player....never seem to find much time to listen to music in the house. AOR rings a bell alright, don't know any Styx stuff off the top of my head, must watch out for them.

Hey June, I'm good thanks!  Hope all is well with you - only a few weeks to go now? Best of luck!!

You'd definitely know "Babe" by Styx, a real classic slow song from the late 70s/early 80s - never played at the Grove though for some reason.  Always remember a Simpsons episode "The hulapalooza rock festival one" and Homer is in the record shop and he finds a Styx album and (I think) a Boston album in the 'oldies' section and he says "Styx and Boston, oldies?  when did that happen!??" (classic!)  

Floyd View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 21:48
Do you remember when Homer was backstage at a Peter Frampton concert and he picked up a huge deflated pink pig,and Frampton said 'I got that at a Pink Floyd yardsale'??? Class.
There are three kinds of people in the world,those who are able to count,and those who can't...
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 21:53

Absolutely!  Loads of cool rock references through loads of episodes!

The rock festival one was filled with classic lines like when Homer tells the Smashing Pumpkins that he got kicked out of college for his views on Vietnam and they (the 'pumpkins) are dead impressed but then Homer follows up with "..that and for stealing projectors!"

Black Russian View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 23:05
Originally posted by Rolo Rolo wrote:

Hey Finno, what's a cassette ?

Rolo I thought you remember what cassettes where or maybe they were after YOUR time... What did you have 8track

P
"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 09:33

Rolo, an almost extinct recording format most famous use was for compilation tapes made with Love and Affection ( this track by Joan armatrading was almost always included in said compilation) Often referred to on inner album sleeves "home taping is killing music" which is rubbish. Same argument now being made about the net, mp3 ....

How many out there still have compilation tapes or made them for girls/boys in their lives?

A man must have a code
Esthalon View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
86 - 90

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esthalon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 09:38

How many out there still have compilation tapes or made them for girls/boys in their lives?

I've bucket loads of compilation tapes...refuse to tape over any of them

Esthalon View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
86 - 90

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esthalon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 09:45
Originally posted by Floydman Floydman wrote:

Yep Toto's another one.... Yes it's basic..... but that's half the charm ....no hidden meanings. Doesn't mean I don't love Floyd

Doesn't mean I don't love you either,June (Hee Hee!)

Wondered what you meant by 'Bum Bands' but yeah-I guess you're right. But Foreigner don't really fall in there,do they?

Remember 'That was yesterday'? A real teenage,coming of age song. Real Grove stuff. Missed oppurtunity,lost love-we've all been there,right?

Got their Best Of mix recently-all the usuals. Juke Box hero is a real rocker-great guitar. And an acoustic version of Urgent-Brill!

Floydman, that's some serious selective editing there on your part, but If that's how you keep your ego afloat be my guest

Yeah I think Foreigner fits my Bum Band definition perfectly, ya only got to listen to Urgent full blast to imagine Lou Gramm, in his white skin tight trousers strutting his stuff.

Mel, Just googled for the lyrics of Babe. Yes I know the song (Who doesn't)....Mr De Young of Desert Moon and Blue check shirt fame!

Edited by Esthalon
whippersnapper View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 11:13

June,

I would be reluctant to ask a barman or a dj to play some "bum" music for me unless really sure of the ground I was on! Images of the blue oyster bar from police academy spring to mind

D.

I'm searching for that cash I should have saved for the crash
Black Russian View Drop Down
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 11:14

Talking about TOTO and Foreigner etc etc

Name the first band to release Stairway to Heaven as a single

P

"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 150>