The Grove Social Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What Album are you listening to most at the moment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 142143144145146 150>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2020 at 18:44
Lol Poguey ... the stories I could tell
One of its legs is both the same
Sponsored Links

Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2020 at 18:48
MORE LUCIUS_ This is the Lucius I like ...early in their career ...back when we were the best of friends

funny , my mother was always used the word "luscious", relating to chocolates and food and stuff. I always thought it was a disgusting word.Smile 

Edited by Pogue Mahoney - 19-February-2020 at 18:50
Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2020 at 19:29
Ah, is that the way they pronounce it Pogue. I was pronouncing it like "Lucy-us" to myself, as if it was someone's name. Thought it was slightly odd. But "luscious" fits the bill perfectly - if that's what you meant.
Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2020 at 19:48
My girlfriends pronounce it "loo-shus"

I was guessing it is from the French:
French Lucius, gagne du temps! Try to buy us some time. French 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2020 at 09:39
Well, Lucius was also a name, I think in old Roman times; possibly still now.

"...coming from the Latin lux (light), or possibly the Greek, a contraction of Lukanos (man from Loukania...")

Inneresting !
Sister1 View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
88-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2020 at 09:46
I am listening to Ash this week. They have a new greatest hits out since Feb 14. I pre-ordered the album with Tower Records and was very fortunate to then get an invite to an in store acoustic performance plus meet and greet after. It was great when a band meets their fans like that. I know alot of meet and greets these day are very expensive. This one was just the cost of the album (€11) which i was buying anyway.
Keep it Local, Keep it Near!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2020 at 09:52
Super, Brian. Is the album up to their best, older work you reckon? Haven't heard it yet but will go travelling on YouTube soon...

I assume the meet and greets are organised by the record shop, for regular customers or something - that the way it works?!!
Sister1 View Drop Down
88-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2020 at 10:04
Gerry, its a greatest hits as 25 years now as a band. They did include some new songs which are very good. The store organised it all. Tim Wheeler is the lead singer and he did a solo album a few years ago in tribute to his dad who passed away from Dementia. That chimed with me and thats the CD I got him to sign and told him why also.
I have followed Ash since 1994 with their first EP and saw them support therapy in 1995 when they were just 16. So they are still early 40s which is very young despite going for 25 years.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2020 at 11:09
That's interesting stuff Brian. I would have been aware of Ash since they started, and loved their earlier stuff (can't remember track names). They would have fallen off my radar a bit then. To be honest, and I'm sure it's noticeable, my 40s into my early-50s were busily spent building my career in work, doing the usual family stuff, and involved in some wedding/cover bands. Listening to new music , or even old stuff, was about Z on the priority list. Not that that was a deliberate choice, it's just the way it happened for me. So, the late-80s right through the 90s and onwards didn't really happen for me in terms of musical trends, new bands etc...

...I think I alluded to it before, that's why I have some fairly hilarious blanks in my musical knowledge and listening experience !!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2020 at 11:11
Just to finish the point above, that's why I am so pleased to have got into the whole Grove thing last couple of years, it has re-ignited a musical spark for me that was pretty low, so I am very grateful for all of this ...
Sister1 View Drop Down
88-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2020 at 12:52
Great to reconnect Gerry. I guess I was in my teens in the 80s an 20s on the 90s so i tend to like a lot of stuff from those decades. The grove gave me the back catelogue so to speak from 67 onwards. Two older sisters and a brother filled in the rest of the blanks. Between that and swapping music with friends, learning to play the guitar and a regular gig goer, I ended up with a wide ranging taste!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2020 at 13:00
Right on Brian! I have to say I am hugely impressed with your capacity to learn the guitar to a level that you could play it live on top of a high-class, top-drawer band recording, and basically not have anyone really know the difference except they were aware what was happening. That is the epitome of "cool" for me !
Sister1 View Drop Down
88-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2020 at 15:47
Thanks Gerry, you are too kind!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2020 at 15:49
Brian...
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2020 at 23:39
Bought a 30th anniversary vinyl copy of a "Johnny hates Jazz" album (don't laugh) but the double album has the original album and an acoustic version of the same album as well.  Gotta say the acoustic version is really great - haven't had the chance to really listen the original yet. 

Also bought another "Talk Talk" album - "It's my Life"....not yet started on that one.
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2020 at 00:47
Sounds interesting Mel - I'd know little enough of either of those bands' music I have to say...
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2020 at 14:27
"Mean Old Man" - Jerry Lee Lewis

Great album with many iconic rock musicians on it.

May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2020 at 17:39
"split" by the Groundhogs - who I had the great privilege to see live, in the Baggot Inn of all places, sometime in the early to mid1980s. A great, loud, grating rock band, led by guitar player Tony MacPhee. Scottish legends, worth listening to this if you like loud, grating, intense but melodic guitar rock. So, you've probably guessed, I kinda like this album and the band !
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2020 at 01:22
Not playing much albums these days but just now this album is playing to remember McCoy Tyner who passed away on the 6th of March .

There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2020 at 05:10
"Best Of" - Duffy

Remember her. Exploded in the scene about 11 years ago with some great trax like "Mercy".

Apparently she went out of the public eye as she was raped and held captive for a number of days.

Apparently she's ready to record.

May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 142143144145146 150>