The Grove Social Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What school did you go to in Grove years?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 21:00
I'm howling away here Rolo!!!!
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
Sponsored Links

freebird View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freebird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 05:31

Treasa after reading your Dana post I have that song STUCK in my head all day

Could be worse.. I could be howling 'Whats another year"

smithy View Drop Down
87-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 08:41
ARD SCOIL RIS (83-88)
smithy
Hayseed Dixie View Drop Down
’79 - ’84 (approx)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayseed Dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 12:51

Just read through this thread again and I'm amazed that no-one else that went to Belcamp has ever turned up on the site. When I was in 5th and 6th year almost everybody on those years went to The Grove.

C'mon..where are yis all hiding...come out and show yourselves...hehehe!!
Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. - (Henri Cartier-Bresson)
Stoner View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
83-86ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 12:53
Were you taught by the Oblates then?
Impotence; nature's way of saying no hard feelings!
Hayseed Dixie View Drop Down
’79 - ’84 (approx)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayseed Dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2007 at 00:09

Yep...sure was Donal. Although most of my teachers were lay teachers.
Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. - (Henri Cartier-Bresson)
Stoner View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
83-86ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2007 at 00:20
My Uncle is an Oblate in Australia. I went to Chanel and was 'taught' by the Marists.
Floyd View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2007 at 22:32

Ah,indeed,Donal.

Was Fr. Corry the head in your time? And vice pricipal Donnelly (Spitz)?

Remember Miss Day? (liked her) Ms. Ryan,Ms Conway,Ms.Davis...funny how I don't remember the male teachers...!

There are three kinds of people in the world,those who are able to count,and those who can't...
Kate View Drop Down
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster
84-88ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2007 at 22:11

Greendale!!!

Left in 84.........god, that's 24yrs ago....

more than a feeling!!!   
Stoner View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
83-86ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2007 at 23:34
Originally posted by Floydman Floydman wrote:

Ah,indeed,Donal.

Was Fr. Corry the head in your time? And vice pricipal Donnelly (Spitz)?

Remember Miss Day? (liked her) Ms. Ryan,Ms Conway,Ms.Davis...funny how I don't remember the male teachers...!

Correct Floydman, FJ was the Head Honcho and Spitz was his sidekick. Remember them both reading the marks on a Thursday?? I can also remember the names you mentioned as well as Mr. Toomey, Mr. Kissane, Mr. Kelleher and Mr. Murphy (Groucho). You're bringing back names I must've blocked from my mind.  

Floyd View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 20:08

And you too...Mr Twomey was Fred,wasn't he?

And Mr Kissane was an uncle of someone mentioned here before-Jeff Kissane. He was a grover,but he didn't go to Chanel.

Yes,I had Groucho for Maths,-didn't actually know who Groucho Marx was then but when I eventually saw a Marx Bros movie it all fell into place. Why,even my signature is a Groucho Marz quote.

I really liked Miss day as she helped us a lot with our band in school,staying behind when she didn't have to and allowing us to use the school equipment,(PA etc)

Stretch (Fr Harrington) took over as head just as I left-think he might have been a bit of a pushover.

Any other Chanel-ites here?

There are three kinds of people in the world,those who are able to count,and those who can't...
Fester View Drop Down
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 22:21
Yep another Chanel Man from the mid-80s here. Fred was Mr Geraghty not Pat Toomey! What about Ciaran Fallon the mad GAA team manager and part time Science Teacher? Father McElroy the ginger fella? Chang? Joe Gaffney who taught Business Org?  Father McArdle who liked a pint and left the priesthood to get married? Tony Hannon, mad Cork lad, good teacher but would bum smokes off the hard lads in the class!  Olly "Spoof" Milliken the Geography Teacher who climbed Mount Everest in a t-shirt with 2 injured men over his shoulders (he said)? Father Morrissey AKA "Scab" and his faithful labrador Bruno (the year we left some bright spark drew a swastika on the dogs head in black marker). not very PC but bloody funny looking.  Look back fondly on Chanel even though Corry and particularly Spitz were capable of being very vindictive & nasty types at times. I heard Spitz got assaulted at a school re-union a few years ago, might be an urban myth?  Loads of Grovers in Chanel around my time. Am I imagining it or were there mid-week Groves in the Summer around '83-'86? Was thinking about it tonight passing St Pauls in the car ...
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 22:30
There definitely were mid-week groves in the summer, Fester (every Wednesday night - they were always great too but I think they were slightly quieter than the weekend ones).  Dont really remember when they started and when they stopped, if they did stop.
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Floxi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 23:12
I went to manor house - or "the pill on the hill" as it was referred to by the lovely St PAULERS down the road!
verh View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 23:35

Was it also called "MANOR FARM" by the rogues from St. Pauls ?

Verona
Floxi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 23:40
Originally posted by verh verh wrote:

Yes - the less offensive version! 

WACKER View Drop Down
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster
.........?????.........ITS ALL A BLUR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WACKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 23:49
st peters killester
If all big men were as narky as little men,there would be no little men.   ( fact )
http://www.wdaphotography.net
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 00:18
Originally posted by Floxi Floxi wrote:

Originally posted by verh verh wrote:

Yes - the less offensive version! 

Thats what we always called it anyway!

TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
irish_mammy View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
80-84 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_mammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 04:02

Just reading this post and noticing a lot of our schools have closed or are closing soon.

Where do the school kids go to secondary now or are there just less of them.

Lesley

25th June - 25th July. Get organising my nights out. Child can stay in the car.

Grove 1980-1984
Stoner View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
83-86ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 14:19

Originally posted by Fester Fester wrote:

Yep another Chanel Man from the mid-80s here. Fred was Mr Geraghty not Pat Toomey! What about Ciaran Fallon the mad GAA team manager and part time Science Teacher? Father McElroy the ginger fella? Chang? Joe Gaffney who taught Business Org?  Father McArdle who liked a pint and left the priesthood to get married? Tony Hannon, mad Cork lad, good teacher but would bum smokes off the hard lads in the class!  Olly "Spoof" Milliken the Geography Teacher who climbed Mount Everest in a t-shirt with 2 injured men over his shoulders (he said)? Father Morrissey AKA "Scab" and his faithful labrador Bruno (the year we left some bright spark drew a swastika on the dogs head in black marker). not very PC but bloody funny looking.  Look back fondly on Chanel even though Corry and particularly Spitz were capable of being very vindictive & nasty types at times. I heard Spitz got assaulted at a school re-union a few years ago, might be an urban myth?  Loads of Grovers in Chanel around my time. Am I imagining it or were there mid-week Groves in the Summer around '83-'86? Was thinking about it tonight passing St Pauls in the car ...

I remember every one of the names mentioned above and they bring back alot of memories. To this day I dont think Ive ever met anyone as mean and vindictive as Spitz. My ma still goes on about him and how she hated him, both as a person and a teacher and thats not like my ma. For her to say that he mustve been really bad. Also dodged many a duster thrown by Fred.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>