Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tribute to Cecil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tribute to Cecil
    Posted: 21-April-2006 at 15:14

Cecil,

I want to thank you most sincerely for all the memories past, in the "Old Grove", and present in honouring us with your presence at the reunions.

My musical taste was greatly influenced by what I heard in the Grove. You opened my ears to music I may never have experienced had I not gone to the Grove.

My musical collection bears tribute to that.

In the Grove you gave us a place to be free and express ourselves when others were shutting doors to us.

I will always remember the night I brought Creedence Clearwater Revival's album Pendulum to the Grove and you played it. You see, I had no record player at home at the time, and to hear that album, by my favourite band, being played loud and clear in the Grove meant so much to me.

Besides being a wonderful man, you are a rock and roll legend who has his finger on the pulse of music for nearly 40 years and has shared that with us.

I am glad you came into my life.

Thank you and keep rocking in the free world.

Edited by Biker Pat
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Sponsored Links

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2006 at 13:55

I know that this post was a personal tribute to Cecil.

Other Forum members are free to add to the topic as Cecil, in my view, was the Grove.

So feel free to write your own thoughts, memories etc of this special man.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Black Russian View Drop Down
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2006 at 14:45

Biker Pat what more can we say you have expressed the way the majority of people feel about Cecil and I am not just talking about the members of the forum but even non members.

Cecil
Thank you for great years in the with Grove they were the best years  I use to live for the Grove on a Saturday night. Also thanks to everyone that was part of the Grove only for you it would never have been.
Like Biker Pat my taste in music was influenced by what you played back then and to thos day I still listen to that music. I met a lot people and made loads of friends in the Grove and that friendship has been reignited with friends I have not seen in years. Even now I am still making friends through the Grove even if is only through posting message on this site but I think everyone here is very genuine and friendly and great fun.
Even though my music taste stems from the Grove there is still lot of bands I haven't dicoverd sorry Biker Pat but I don't know any of Creedence Clearwater Revival's heard of them but never listen to them.
So till the next reunion

"Keep on Rocking in the Freeworld"

See you at the next reunion

Peter (Black Russian)

"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2006 at 08:06

Cecil for Saint!

What can one say! The Grove - It's such a great memory to have.  It was safe, fun and a great experience for all of us. 

Thanks a million for giving "The Grove" to us in our youth and for still providing us with the memories and long hours of fun with the reunions and website - great idea.

T

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
xgrovehead View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2006 at 16:18

I've been looking at this topic since Pat started it trying to sum up what Cecil and the Grove has meant to me and failing to find the words.  So I'll keep it short and just add a bit to the eloquence above! 

I'm privileged to have been a small part of it, its part of who I am to this day, its shaped my musical tastes and definitely my dress sense!

So thank you Cecil for giving us that forum to listen to good music and meet the opposite sex!

(And thanks to Crusty et al for giving us this forum to talk crap all day!)

We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors, we have only borrowed it from our children.
-Ancient Proverb.
star View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
Really Really Senior Member
89-92 I think so anyway!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote star Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2006 at 16:46

Yep Cecil, you introduced me to the heaven that is Robert Plant and Led Zeppelin. I am forever grateful. I even got married to a fellow grover and have a little 2 yr old girl who loves rock! She even headbangs!

They were the best of times, I never had a bad time at the grove and that was because every single song was brilliant.

Congratulations on everything you have done and all the people who's lives you have touched.. you should be very proud.

You are the soundtrack to my youth anyway and thank you   

Never Again on a school night! Famous last words
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2006 at 14:41

I lived for the Grove and stayed for years (probably long after I should have gone but I didnt care as I loved the place so much).  Thank you Cecil for all of the great memories I still carry around with me to this day, thank you for introducing me to music that I might otherwise have never heard, thankyou for (almost) always playing my song "for Mel and all the lads at the back" and thankyou for your patience and good humour when I regularly sat on the table, looking in awe through your singles...You're a legend!

Mel.  

Edited by Brunswick
Black Russian View Drop Down
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2006 at 15:48
Cecil

Kiss sang "God gave Rock n' Roll to you"

I think it should read

"Cecil gave Rock n' Roll to us"

What would God know about Rock anyway !!
Bluebell View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
1981 to 1984

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluebell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2006 at 10:51
Cecil....I reckon that there should be a statue of your good self erected out side St Paul's ....in memory of the good music and good times you gave to us all. 
You are what you wanna be....age doesn't matter
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2006 at 11:08

Lads,

Let me just reiterate what you have all said about this great man, without whom we'd all be listening to horrible music and would not have any of the fantastic memories we've been able to share on this Forum,

Cecil, someone told me it might be your birthday round about now,so...................

Happy Birthday to a Legend

I do believe, my fellow Grovers

Cecil’s birthday’s round this time

So please forgive me for being so bold

And enjoy this little rhyme.

Back when I was just a kid

Around fifteen years of age

Someone told me about The Grove

Said it was all the rage

So in the queue I got one night

Clutching  false I.D.

Think we snuck in past the bouncers

Tommy, Mark and Me.

Cecil’s music blew my mind

And the Grovers were so cool

Just couldn’t wait ‘til next week came

No Sundays then………. feck school.

My memories of that special place

Have all come flooding back

What with the Reunions,

The Forum and The Crack.

But for Eejit and for Biker Pat ,

For Sue and all the crew

One thing made the Grove so special

Oi Cecil ……….that was you

The music you brought to us

All those years ago

Has stayed with us right to this day

Just thought you’d like to know.

But there is one thing I must ask you, Cecil

Before Rolo starts to cry

What’s the story with Chris De Burgh ?

And that “ Lonely Bleedin’ Sky “

You gave us all those memories

You played our favourite song

But my darling wife still  won’t forgive ya

She says me hair’s too long.

So Cecil if it is your birthday soon

We send you all the best

From Blondie, Pete and Biker Pat

Kay, Jackie and the rest.

That’s Russell, Star and Sharon

Softlad, Ann and Mel,

Not forgetting Killian

Or Lenny or Bluebell.

So we’ll see you at the next Reunion

We’ll all be at the Shieling

‘Cos Cecil…….….look, let’s just say

It really is “ More Than A Feeling “

© Noodles September,2006.biggrin

Bluebell View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
1981 to 1984

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluebell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2006 at 11:19
Wow Noodles...thats just brilliant (wish I could write like that) You've made the hairs stand on the back of my neck.
Sharon View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2006 at 11:21

Noodles

what a great ode to a great man, well done

I hope some1 copies it and presents it to the God himself at the next reunion Im sure he would love that

Shar

All I wanted was chips!!
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2006 at 11:24

Yeah Noodles, gotta say, that's even better than your other poems. Gets right to the heart of what we're all talking about here.

Nice one !

Rolo.biggrin

Bluebell View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
1981 to 1984

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluebell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2006 at 11:29
Originally posted by Sharon Sharon wrote:

Noodles

what a great ode to a great man, well done

I hope some1 copies it and presents it to the God himself at the next reunion Im sure he would love that

Shar

Think that would be a great idea Shar
Sharon View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2006 at 11:31

Rolo

I think I should make you in charge of doing that getting it put into a frame and presenting it to Cecil  cause you know how undependable Noodles is for turning up to gigs

Shar

All I wanted was chips!!
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2006 at 11:44

Ah no Shar, not my place.

I'll PM Noodles and ask him whether he wants to do that.Wouldn't want to step on any toes.

Rolo.

Sharon View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2006 at 11:46

Rolo

ive just mentioned it to Noodles and he said he would love you to do it as he wouldnt be around on the 29th  :P

Shar

All I wanted was chips!!
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2006 at 11:57
Cracking poem Noodles.
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2006 at 13:25

Way to go Noodles.

Happy Birthday Cecil

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2006 at 13:40

Originally posted by Sharon Sharon wrote:

I think I should make you in charge of doing that getting it put into a frame and presenting it to Cecil  cause you know how undependable Noodles is for turning up to gigs

Hey Shar, just thinking, bit of " Pot, Kettle , Black " going on here.biggrinbounce2

Rolo.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>