Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Members Gig Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 32>
Author
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
81- 83

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupelopenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2007 at 00:40

Really looking forward to Heaven & Hell, Saw Dio last year and he was great, plus I love Heaven and Hell and mob rules.

Couldnt miss the cure, they are incredible live, the disintigration tour when they played here in 89 was incredible. of all the bands I have seen live, they would have to be top 5, great musicians and great songs.

The wembley gig is supposed to be the only UK date and there are no plans for Irish Date on this tour so far.

Good Grief, Charlie Brown
Sponsored Links

Evangeline View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
86-88

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evangeline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2007 at 00:55

Typical!

Oh well...at least I have three wonderful nights of The Mission to look forward to in February.

Jen 

"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"
tupelopenny View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
81- 83

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupelopenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2007 at 19:41
Wow, you are doing three of the four Astoria gigs, I am tempted myself on these too, would be mainly interested in the first three most, early stuff until Children.
Floyd View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2007 at 20:45
Love the new Avatar Tupelopenny...your own card I presume?
There are three kinds of people in the world,those who are able to count,and those who can't...
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
81- 83

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupelopenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2007 at 22:59

Yes,

I was always a hoarder, So I knew i still had it, just had to remember where it was. Not a typical pic of though, hair was shortest in that pic that i ever had in grove days.

Shaun N. View Drop Down

06-08 (very late starter!)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shaun N. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2007 at 17:27

Originally posted by tupelopenny tupelopenny wrote:

Wow, you are doing three of the four Astoria gigs, I am tempted myself on these too, would be mainly interested in the first three most, early stuff until Children.

Doing the last three. Really not that interested (nor do i have the bank balance) for The First Chapter, but GOM, Children and Carved, especially as they're playing the b-sides as well (which essentially means you're getting Grains as well on the last night) as well as an after party.

Definitely a series to remember, and i can't wait :D
Shaun

Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
81- 83

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupelopenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2007 at 09:55

Saw ryan adams last stadium, great gig, sound was amazing. One of the best times i have seen,

Even met an old grover at gig, Brian Delahunt

Uncle Arthur View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
80-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2007 at 00:28

The Boys are back in town - or some of them at least!

Funny how things come full circle. Rolo started this topic with a review of Thin Lizzy at The Olympia 18 months ago - a great review written with journalistic skill that wouldn't have been out of place in the NME or Melody Maker (for those who remember them). I was there that night and he captured the detail and the spirit of the event superbly.

Well, just saw Lizzy at the Olympia to tonight (17-12-07). Slight change in the line up - still Sykes and Gorham with Marco Mendoza on bass but this time they had Tommy Aldridge (who played with Pat Travers, with Ozzie/Randy, and with Whitesnake, and who pioneered double bass drumming) on drums.

I won't capture it as eloquently as Rolo but here goes......

What a blast! From the opening cords of Jailbreak, the band had the audience eating out of their hands. They followed with Lizzy live standards - Waiting For An Alibi, Don't Believe A Word, and Are You Ready. As they launched into Emerald, I saw 2 young guys who probably weren't even alive when Philo died, with tears in their eyes as they shook their heads furiously.

Next it was time for some audience engagement - the opening cords of Dancing In the Moonlight had the whole venue stomping, clapping, and singing. Time then to remind people of Lizzy's versatility with a heavy duty version on Massacre followed by a mesmeric version of Still In Love With you. Close your eyes and he was there with us, while Sykes and Gorham played like the old pros they are.

Next came Southbound which got the audience into sing along mood, but then the band once again reminded us of their R&B roots with Sha La La, and quite possibly the best drum solo I have ever seen, from Tommy who threw away his drumsticks half way through to play most of the solo on all drums and cymbols with just his fists and palms. 

Next came Suicide and I swear the building was shaking.

First encore - a cracking version of the Cowboy Song. Just like on "Live and Dangerous", the last note of the Cowboy song was the first note of The Boys Are Back In Town. Philo's mother was on her feet by this stage as the band really did the song justice.

The second encore commenced with that "number recorded by Bob Seeger" and boy did they rock as they blasted it out. Then they launched into a brilliant version of Cold Sweat - this was the only song John Sykes was there for first time round, and I had forgotten how good a rock song it was.

Then the finale - Black Rose. Enough said. They did Philo proud.

Next time the boys are back in town, don't miss them!

p.s. My ears are still ringing the following day

Edited by Uncle Arthur
UA

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity but an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2007 at 14:02

Dead right Arty, nowhere near as eloquent .

Having said that,despite the fact that what we're getting,in all reality,is a Lizzy tribute band who seem afraid to deviate from the tried and tested " Live and Dangerous " formula in the show,it still makes for a really enjoyable,nostalgic night out.

It was interesting to see the range of ages represented within the audience, the vast majority of whom knew every word of every song and were not ashamed to lash each one out with greater gusto than the one before.

As with last year's gig, I was disappointed with " Still in Love With You ". Philo's version remains one of my favourite ever slow songs and despite his best efforts Sykes just doesn't get it.The vocals are just wrong ( he would probably be better to forget about trying to imitate Philo and sing it in his own voice ) and the instrumental finish is way too up tempo for me.

I'm also not a big fan of drum solos and while one can only admire the physical effort and dexterity of Tommy Aldridge,I reckon it serves no purpose other than to allow Sykes and Gorham pop backstage for a smoke and a mug of Horlicks. I mean they could have managed another proper song during the time he was knocking seven shades of you know what out of his various drums and cymbals.

Beginning to sound like an awful crank here, with all this nit picking and stuff but at the end of the day songs like Rosalie,Emerald, Jailbreak,Black Rose and of course, Cowboy Song / The Boys are Back in Town, take me right back to the days when I first discovered Philo and Lizzy and despite the fact that you could never rank them,in any of their various guises, up there with the top bands of the rock era, for me,they had something special which despite the flaws alluded to above, ya just gotta love it.

Aries View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2007 at 14:22

Have to agree with Rolo.

When you have the likes of Downey etc still around, it makes you wonder about the line-up.

But Ho -hum

THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE
BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST
80-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2007 at 22:53

Rolo - I am surprised at your lack of appreciation of the drummer's art. Maybe its like cricket and you have to have played to appreciate it!

Edited by Uncle Arthur
UA

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity but an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2007 at 23:10

Eh Unc..............did ya not see this bit ?

Originally posted by Rolo Rolo wrote:

while one can only admire the physical effort and dexterity of Tommy Aldridge...........

Robbie63 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
80-83

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbie63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2007 at 23:37
I love drum solos.I love watching them, I love listening to them and being a drummer, I love playing them, but I can understand why some people don`t like them.

Uncle Arthur mentioned that Tommy Aldridge pioneered double bass drumming. I have to disagree. The man who pioneered double bass drumming was the great Louie Bellson, way back in the fifties. Here are a few pics of the great man himself.

And here´s a clip of him playing a solo with Duke Ellington in 1950.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VNCwkaGXp0w

Edited by Robbie63
Robbie     
80-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2007 at 00:48

Robbie - I stand corrected.

As far as I know Tommy was the first to do it any high profile rock band?

UA

Mins View Drop Down
1984-1987

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2007 at 01:59
Robbie - bought a drum kit for my fella last Xmas..

Haven`t sussed out any lessons YET but could you recommend a kindof DIY DVD.

I see there are a selection through Amazon - are you familiar with any ???

If so, any advice would be helpful..

Ta and have a great trip home.

The Mins.
Robbie63 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
80-83

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbie63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2007 at 10:25
Mins, you can find loads of drum tuition on you tube. There is some really good stuff and it´s free. Here´s a good one to start with.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kfan9xVM_HQ
Robbie     
Robbie63 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
80-83

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbie63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2007 at 10:37
Originally posted by Uncle Arthur Uncle Arthur wrote:

Robbie - I stand corrected.

As far as I know Tommy was the first to do it any high profile rock band?

I hate to be a pain, but this is my area of expertise. High profile rock double bass drummers before Tommy Aldridge include Ginger Baker (Cream), Mitch Mitchell (Hendrix), Nick Mason (Pink Floyd), Carmine Appice (Vanilla Fudge).
Robbie     
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2007 at 10:51

Rob, you feel to free be a pain as much as you like,particularly in your chosen field.

Wouldn't be the first time that Uncle Arthur has been caught out talking through his " You Know What "  .

Black Russian View Drop Down
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2007 at 11:47
Originally posted by Rolo Rolo wrote:

Rob, you feel to free be a pain as much as you like,particularly in your chosen field.

Wouldn't be the first time that Uncle Arthur has been caught out talking through his " You Know What "  .

"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th
80-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2007 at 15:48

Thats the last time I try to make a semi-informed point about drumming!

Robbie - please tell me he does play double bass drums and that I didn't get that wrong as well!

UA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 32>