Print Page | Close Window

Members Gig Reviews

Printed From: The Grove Social Club
Category: Non Grove Related Stuff
Forum Name: Off Topic Forum
Forum Description: Discuss Anything off topic here - upcoming events etc.
URL: http://www.theGroveSocialClub.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=174
Printed Date: 19-May-2024 at 02:05
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Members Gig Reviews
Posted By: Rolo
Subject: Members Gig Reviews
Date Posted: 13-April-2006 at 05:51

OK, most of us came on here first 'cos of The Grove and the music played by the one and only Cecil.

I,for one,have never lost my love of the music of the time and still get to as many gigs as I can.

So,as a result of having seen the latest incarnation of Thin Lizzy last night at the Olympia,I've started this Topic to invite members to post their reviews of any gigs they've seen.

Can be a gig from years ago that sticks in the memory or a recent one or whatever.

What'd really be good would be that if anyone went to any gigs in the future that they'd come on here and tell us about it.

Rolo.

Replies:
Date Posted: 13-April-2006 at 06:32

THIN LIZZY

Olympia Theatre,Wednesday,12th April,2006.

Live and Dangerous,my first ever Rock Album...............and what an introduction.

From the opening riff of " Jailbreak " to the closing notes of " The Rocker ",for a 14 year old this was just mindblowing stuff. I fell in love with Lizzy the day I got that album and twenty seven years on, not a lot has changed.

Obviously,the band's line up has changed through the years,Eric Bell, Brian Downey, Brian Robertson,Gary Moore, Snowy White and Darren Wharton have all been and gone. Last night's line up featured Scott Gorham on guitar, Michael Lee on drums, Marco Mendoza on bass and John Sykes on vocals and guitar.

So,it was with a great deal of trepidation that I went along last night. I mean,how would Sykes and Co. ever fill the shoes of Ireland's ( and mine ) first rock legend,the one and only Phil Lynott.

I needn't have worried.

From the moment the set kicked off with an up tempo version of Whiskey in the Jar it was obvious that Sykes had no intention of trying to emulate Philo,quite the opposite in fact,his sole objective was to try do the songs justice, while constantly referring to the great man in almost reverential tones.

From there the set contained hit after hit, Don't Believe A word,Chinatown,Waiting for an Alibi, Are You Ready, Jailbreak,Cold Sweat,Do Anything You Want To Do and of course,Emerald..................bam de bam bam,all the classics,one after the other.

A quick break for the three guitarists allowed Michael Lee display the full reportoire of his drumming skills in an eight minute solo version of Sha La La La La which was folllowed by one of my all time favourites, Still in Love With You. This for me, was the only low point of the evening as for me,nothing can replace Philo's vocals and Brian Robertson's amazing guitar solo on the live version of that song.

The obligatory Cowboy Song / Boys are Back In Town combo followed Warrior,with a time delay of about thirty seconds between the end of Cowboy Song and the start of The Boys, while the enraptured audience wondered whether or not this new version of Lizzy would adhere to tradition and run one into the other. Of course we were not disappointed.

A quick break and the first encore,Dancing in The Moonlight was followed by another favourite, in Philo's own words......." A number recorded by Bob Seger, a number called .....Rosalie "

Then they were off again before a last visit to the stage for an eight minute version of Roisin Dubh, The Black Rose..........." Oh tell me the story of the young Cuchulainn, how his eyes were dark, his expression sullen............" what ridiculous lyrics, typical of Philo.

Then it was over, what a show.......................

The audience ranged from 12 - 60,among them, Joe Elliot from Def Leppard, actor Liam Cunningham,a very animated Gerry Ryan who was giving it loads all night and the guest of honour, Philo's mother Philomena who's presence added an authenticity to the event.( Oh yeah and she rocked her way through the show as well as anyone.)

So there ya have it,an altogether magic experience in the most intimate of venues.

Rolo.

Posted By: xgrovehead
Date Posted: 13-April-2006 at 07:36
Good one Rolo - would like to see your review of the last David Byrne gig in the same venue?  Seeing as your not doing anywork today.smiley2

-------------
We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors, we have only borrowed it from our children.
-Ancient Proverb.

Posted By: russell
Date Posted: 13-April-2006 at 09:22

Rolo sounds like it was a night to remember !

Really like this Idea of a gig review., although I still love the music from that era., my music taste has changed a bit, so I'll be doing reviews on people you've never even heard off .smiley2

-------------
Russ

Date Posted: 13-April-2006 at 09:33

That's the whole point Russ. Maybe we can all broaden our tastes and check out some new stuff if it's been recommended by someone.

Xgh, will try to come up with something on David Byrne if the memory will let me.

Rolo.

Date Posted: 13-April-2006 at 10:30

Just a little reminder of Philo, Robbo and Scott Gorham in the old days.

Rolo.

Posted By: Biker Pat
Date Posted: 13-April-2006 at 16:45
Originally posted by Rolo Rolo wrote:

OK, most of us came on here first 'cos of The Grove and the music played by the one and only Cecil.

I,for one,have never lost my love of the music of the time and still get to as many gigs as I can.

So,as a result of having seen the latest incarnation of Thin Lizzy last night at the Olympia,I've started this Topic to invite members to post their reviews of any gigs they've seen.

Can be a gig from years ago that sticks in the memory or a recent one or whatever.

What'd really be good would be that if anyone went to any gigs in the future that they'd come on here and tell us about it.

Rolo.

Rolo,

See below from thread "favourite concerts".

Where do I start?

I don't go to gigs much anymore as the bands/artists from my generation don't come around much anymore.

Am going to see John Fogerty (ex lead singer/guitarist with Creedence Clearwater Revival) in Paris on 28 June. He's my main man and he only ever came here once as 3rd act on the Tina Turner gig in July 2000. He's not playing here (why I don't know) so my mate who lives in Paris has got tickets. Can't wait and will be very emotional as I've waited 30+ years to go to a gig by my man John Fogerty.

Some special memories were Quo at the Stadium in 1977. BB King at the Stadium when the man gave me a badge with Ireland/USA flag saying "wear it proudly BB King". Neil Young Wembley Arena '82/Point '96 (I had a seat but asked to stay on the ground). Mr Young is awesome everytime. When he comes on stage I well up as he's a true legend. Iggy Pop at the Stadium was the wildest gig I was ever at. The guy just went bananas on stage. ZZ Top at SFX. Before their second coming with the Eliminator album in '83. They were brill and not a big crowd. I always loved the early 1970's ZZ Top stuff so I was glad I went. The Rory Gallagher gigs at the Stadium were massive as well. Fleetwood Mac in Point 2003 were superb. Another band I really love.

But all below were great in different ways.

AC/DC, ALICE COOPER, BREAD, BOB DYLAN, BILLY IDOL, BB KING, BOOMTOWN RATS, BLUES BAND, BRUCE HORNSBY, BRYAN ADAMS, BONNIE RAITT, CROSBY STILLS AND NASH, CANNED HEAT, DIRE STRAITS, DR FEELGOOD, DOOBIE BROTHERS, DONOVAN, DEF LEPPARD, ELTON JOHN, ERIC CLAPTON, FRANKIE MILLER, FLEETWOOD MAC, GERRY RAFFERTY, GEORGIA SATELLITES, HORSLIPS, HUMAN LEAGUE, IGGY POP, JONATHAN RICHMAN, JEFF HEALEY, JUDAS PRIEST, JAMES TAYLOR, JASON AND THE SCORCHERS, JOHN FOGERTY, KINKS, NEIL YOUNG, NILS LOFGREN, PIRATES, PRETENDERS, ROLLING STONES, ROXY MUSIC, ROGER MC GUINN, ROGER GILMOUR, RORY GALLAGHER, STATUS QUO, SINEAD O'CONNOR, STEVE EARLE AND THE DUKES, STEVE MILLER, TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS, THE TROGGS, THE SWEET, U2, WARREN ZEVON, WATERBOYS, WISHBONE ASH, ZZ TOP   

I know this has not been a specific review but I'll do one after the Fogerty concert in June.

-------------
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 14-April-2006 at 09:54

Please do that Pat, will look forward to seeing it.

Right, just for Xgh.

I've been a Talking Heads fan for years, in fact Fear of Music is one of my favourite albums ever but sadly I never got to see them perform live.

I'd seen David Byrne a couple of times,once during his Brazilian Music phase and once during his reincarnation as a solo artist in The Ambassador Theatre and had seen The Tom Tom Club in McGonagles a right few years ago, all of which were really cool shows,so it was with great anticipation that we went along to the Olympia on 27th July 2004 for what was to be the last show of the European Leg of the Grown Backwards tour.

The set was just fantastic.

Old Heads numbers interspersed with some of his solo catalogue.As it was nearly two years ago, it's impossible for me to remember the exact set but I know we got,..... I Zimbra, Air, Burning Down The House, Once in a Lifetime, And She Was,This Must be The Place ( Naive Melody ),Road to Nowhere,an Accoustic version of Psycho Killer and a really up tempo version of Life During Wartime ( my favourite ), all from the Heads Years.

From his solo years we got two more favourites,this time from The Catherine Wheel, his Dance Collaboration with Twyla Tharp ( which Xgh hates ),What a Day That Was and His Wife Refused ( Eyes wide Open )

http://www.davidbyrne.com/tours/tour_photos/photos_04.php">DB photo We got Glass Concrete and Stone, She only Sleeps with Me and Uni De Felice from Grown Backwards during all of which Byrne and his band were accompanied by The Tosca Strings, something which added a different and most interesting dimension to the sound.

The crowd just lapped it all up,everyone was on their feet from the word go, you couldn't help but be consumed by Byrne's unbelievable sense of rhythm and movement.

The night ended with an extremely long version of Lazy with the band and the string section really belting it out. It's always a joy to see someone perform if it appears that they're enjoying themselves and although it was the last night of a gruelling tour you got no sense that either Byrne or the Band were going through the motions.

Next time this icon of the New York New Wave movement comes to town make it your business to go see him.

You've all been warned.

Rolo.

Posted By: Black Russian
Date Posted: 27-April-2006 at 08:00

Rolo

Great review of Thin Lizzy show I am sorry now I missed that. I have never seen them live and I didn't think it be worth going to ee them without Philo... If they play again I defo will go...

Thin Lizzy(with Philo), Queen)(with Freddie) and Pink Floyd are some of the bands I would really love to see live.. Hope Floyd will tour again hopefully but doubtful with Roger Waters

-------------
"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th

Date Posted: 27-April-2006 at 08:13

Tell ya Pete, after the reaction of the crowd that night, unless they have a falling out or something, they'll defo be back. Only problem is that it'll probably be in the Point and not the Olympia which is just magic for gigs.Rumour has it that Gary Moore and Brian Robertson are not happy about the boys using the name.Have to say I was wondering what it would be like without Philo but was not disappointed.

Saw Robert Plant there before Christmas. Again magic.( did a quasi review somewhere for Star ).

Rolo.

Posted By: softlad
Date Posted: 27-April-2006 at 16:26

[QUOTE=Rolo]

.Rumour has it that Gary Moore and Brian Robertson are not happy about the boys using the name.Have to say I was wondering what it would be like without Philo but was not disappointed.

Saw Robert Plant there before Christmas. Again magic.( did a quasi review somewhere for Star ).

.have seen three times now rolo in this incarnation and have yet to be disappointed. john sykes has a reasonable singing voice on his own so they come across quite well. as for the other two disapproving , quite frankly who cares. as i remember both failed to show for the vibe for philo in the point 10 years ago and even downey had an outing on the sticks that night. Gary moore has pulled out of his 2 last dublin shows at the last minute with f**k all apologies so screw him.

as for planty and the strange sensation well that was my gig of the year last year. the whole mighty rearranger album and live set is a huge return to form by robert plant. looking to go to cork and see him play during the summer. he's playing some festival down there.

-------------
softlad

"remember if you wanna get aHEAD you gotta give a little"

Date Posted: 28-April-2006 at 04:39
Gary Moore failed to show up for his support slot with Whitesnake a few years back...
Who cares what Gary Moore thinks....

What did Gary Moore ever give us......

-------------

Date Posted: 08-May-2006 at 16:35

AN EVENING WITH DIO :  HOLY DIVER LIVE 2005

AMBASSADOR THEATRE

TUESDAY 25th OCTOBER 2005

SETLIST:

Tarot Woman
Sign of the southern cross
One night in the city

Stand up and shout
Holy Diver
Gypsy
Caught in the middle
Dont talk to strangers
Straight through the heart
Invisible
Rainbow in the dark
Shame on the night with extended solo + keyboard solo
Followed by outro of holy diver

Gates of babylon
man on the silver mountain
catch the rainbow/long live rock'n'roll
Heaven and hell
Last in Line
We Rock

http://www.dio.net/pictures_gallery/20040824_diaz/pages/dio2.html -

yes indeed the littlest man with the biggest voice was in dublin again, already moved from the temple bar music centre to the ambassador we had worried that the venue might not be full. we needn't have bothered! it was jammed solid to see the legend , the voice of two of the greatest rock outfits of all time. would he play some rainbow? was there a black sabbath track in the offing? you'd better believe it!surrounded by a band of seasoned players ronnie rocked tonight. doug aldrich : guitars , scott warren : keyboards, simon wright :drums and rudy sarzo on the bass. the evening consisted of dio's classic moments with both rainbow and sabbath and some of his solo stuff and included for the first time the holy diver album played live in its entirety. doug played superbly having been a late stand in for the injured craig goldy and he kept that famous blackmore sound alive by using a strat during the rainbow numbers. stand out moments for me 'gates of babylon', 'southern cross' and of course the awesome 'heaven and hell'. the crowd reaction was superb , the pre-emptive singing from inside the pulsating venue didn't throw ronnie off , in fact i believe it spurred him on even more. it's hard to believe this guy started out before the beatles yet here he is now 40 years on, note perfect and conducting his orchestra like a deranged mini maestro. the dedications to one of his old partners in crime, cozy powell brought cheers of gratitude and remembrance , before finally launching into a furious  'we rock'.

thanks to you ronnie tonight ,we did.

-------------
softlad

Date Posted: 09-May-2006 at 04:20
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
I have always wanted to see DIO live. See him live would be like seeing three great performer Rainbow/Sabbath/Dio all rolled into one it be great.  I couldn't believe I missed this gig I never even heard anything about this gig..
Next time he plays let me know Steve

In a huff now

-------------

Date Posted: 22-May-2006 at 16:33

Well the Jacks are back and what An All-Ireland we have for you tonight”

1st Night Set list:

Vertigo, I will follow, The Electric Co., Elevation, New Years day, Beautiful Day, I still haven’t found, Who gonna ride your wild horses, City of Blinding lights, Miracle Drug, Sometimes you can’t make it on your own, Love and Peace or Else, Sunday bloody Sunday Bullet the Blue Sky, Running to stand still,Pride, Where the streets, One ,Zoo station, The Fly,With or without you, All because of you, Yahweh, Vertigo incl“Jailbreak”( encore).

2nd Night Set list:

Vertigo, Out of Control, The Electric Co, Elevation, New Years day, Beautiful Day, I still haven’t found, All I want is you , City of blinding lights, Miracle drug, Sometimes you can’t.., Love and Peace or Else, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet the Blue sky, Running to stand still, Pride, Streets, One, Zoo Station, The Fly, Mysterious ways, Party Girl, All because of you, Yahweh, Vertigo incl “Jailbreak”(Encore)

“Well the Jacks are back and what An All-Ireland we have for you tonight” This is how Bono welcomed the crowds to Croke Park for their first ever concert back in Croke Park in 1985 unfortunately I was not allowed to go to this show and I had to listen to it from my backgarden and what a show it was. Well 20 years later U2 have conquered the world with their music and are playing 3nights in Croke Park and I was there the 3 nights.

This is a quick review of the first two nights because they were similar setlist for both nights. I am sitting up right at the top of the Cusack stand scared sh*tless (I hate heights).

U2 appear on stage each night to the closing notes of Arcade Fire “Wake up”. They open up each night with Vertigo which really gets the crowd fired up. They played some of the old reliable songs such as I will follow New Years day and Pride. On this tour U2 have revisited some of their old classics that they haven’t played in years some nearly as long as 20 odd years, such as Gloria, Electric Co, The Ocean from 1981.

The highlights from the first two nights was “The Electric Co”, “Out of Control”, “Whos gonna ride your wild horses” and Zoo Station (both haven’t been played since 1993 Zootv tour) and Party Girl where Bono brings a fan up on stage to play the Guitar with Edge. During a slowed down intro for Elevation Bono sings “Northsider in the rain tra a la la” to the tune of “Brown girl in the ring”.and during Beautiful Day he sings a snippet of “When the rain comes” cause on the first night it was raining, also during Out of Control” Bono mention how “They stole Edge from Wales and that he is playing in a GAA stadium.”

-------------

Date Posted: 22-May-2006 at 16:34

The Boys are back in town

Set list 3

Vertigo, All because of you, Gloria, Elevation, An Cat Dubh, Beautiful Day,I still haven,t found, Original of the species, Bad, City of Blinding lights, Miracle Drug, Sometimes you can’t make it on your own, Love and Peace or Else, Sunday bloody Sunday,Bullet the Bleu sky, Running to stand still, Pride, Where the streets, One/Unchained Melody,

(Encore) Zoo Station, The Fly, With or without you, Vertigo(Reprise),

(Encore 2) Yahweh, 40.

Well my day started with a 7:15am call from my mate saying Peter I’m on the train.  We both were standing outside the Croke Park gate at 8:30 with our big Breakfast roll with everything on it. The Gates opened at 4pm and we ran to get into the stage enclosure and then got our arm stamp so we freely move around and get our beer and food throughout the day…The first two nights the set list were very similar which we both hoped they would add some other songs really wanted to hear Gloria again live

Intro/Wake up: The band walks on stage to the closing note of Arcade Fire song “Wake Up”.  Edge strums his guitar Bono ask for a bit of “Artane boys band” as Larrys starts drumming the beginning of Vertigo Bono then intrtroducess Adam add a “bit of Posh into the preceding and the “Alright Edge” and

1. Vertigo : “Hello Hello” the crowd really start getting going as Bono counts in Vertigo ás Gaeglic style.  The Crowd started singing and hopping up and down singing Vertigo note by note. During the lyric Bono sings” All this, All this could be yours… Just give me Croke Park” too screams from the crowd.

2. All because of you: As soon as I heard the opening notes of this song I knew tonights show was going to be extra special. The last two nights this song was played as part of the first encores. To me this song has a real “The Who” sound to it.

3. Gloria : Larry starts beating the drum my mate and myself went YEAH!!! The drum beats of GLORIA I haven’t heard this live since the Point Depot 1989. After all these years it still sounds great. Half way through it Bono introduces “The Base man” and The Edge brings me back to “Under a blood red sky” album oh what a classic. Only three songs in and my voice is almost gone. My weekend of U2in Croker was made by that song how could it get any better…Keep on reading J

4. Elevation: starts up with a slowed down intro when Bono starts to sing” Guess who just got back today the wide eyes boys that’s being away. haven’t change that much to sing.. The Boys are back in town. Slowly Elevation builds up to with Bono claiming “a sexy place this Croke Park

5. An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart : If you thought Gloria made my night this was an even bigger thrill. I have never been at a gig were they played this live. This songs hasn’t been played since the Unforgettable fire tour in 1984. The Drum beat and the bass were vibrating through my rib cage for this. Again for such an old classic it was played note perfect some people have claimed that Bono voice is not as good as it use to be but hey it didn’t sound too bad from where I was standing.  As the song changes from An Cat dubh and blends into Into the heart Bono walk to the side of the ramp and sits on the edge putting his thumb in his mouth like a shy child and then brings a young girl of about 11up out of the audience He deicates the song to the Crumlin street hospital. At the end of the song Bono puts the young girls Cowboy hat on his and then struggles to get it off during the beginning of Beautiful day

6. Beautiful Day: As Bono struggles to get the hat off the crowd is cheering and the band plays on and Bono misses his queue to start singing. Six songs in and still the crowd is hopping. And you can see from the faces of the band that they are enjoying themselves.

7. I still haven’t found… : This is one of my least favourite U2 song but yet it still lifts me when I hear it at a gig. Bono claims he doesn’t know what more he could ask for and that only for the fans they are were they are. The crowd again are singing in harmony with Bono it really brings the crowd as one. After the band has finished playing the crowd keeps clapping and singing for ages after not giving Bono a chance to speak.

8. Original of the species: This is another song that they haven’t played the other two nights. Its off the last album and it’s a lovely song. Bono comes right out to the small stage were we were. He asks the crowd to give them a chance that they only played this song a couple of times before.

9 Bad: Another of my all time favourites song. Hearing this for the first time back in 1985 on a bootleg of the Croke Park really got me into the band. They played “Walk on the Wildside, Sympathy for the Devil, and Ruby Tuesday” back then.  Over the years they have cut down this song time wise but they always seem to play the full version in their home town. There was to be none of the above songs added in but a rendition of Dirty Oul town instead.

10 City of Blinding Lights: The lights started fading and the U2 spectacular light show began to take effect here. The flickering light on the back drop gave the impression you were in New York City with all there flicking advertisements

11/12 Miracle Drug/Sometimes you can’t make it on your own : Bono dedicates Miracle Drug to a student from Mount Temple who couldn’t move but only his neck. Christopher went on to produce a book of poems and he was also in the audience. Sometimes Bono wrote and dedicates this song to his father. On the screen in the back is animation of a man walking. The lyric of this song are very personal and emotional. The line that I think is a strong lyric in this is “A house doesn’t make a home…. Don’t leave me here alone” as the song closes Bono sings the “Black Hill of Dakota”

13 Love and Peace or Else: This is my favourite song of the last album. It starts of with a distorted guitar and then Adam’s heavy bass line and Larry playing a snare drum halfway down the ramp way with Bono strutting and pulling Elvis shapes. This is a song were both Larry and Adams rhythm section combination really stands out. Half way through it the song almost comes to a stand still Larry walks back to the drum kit. Bono starts banging away on the snare drum and looks like a mad man.

14/15 Sunday Bloody Sunday/ Bullet the Blue sky: Two of the regulars songs Larrys familiar drum beat intro. This song use to sung for the troubles in the North. Bono recalls the first Bloody Sunday that happened in Croke Park. He calls for people to co-exist around the world. At the end of SBS they go straight into Bullet the blue sky. This another of my favourite songs live but this time I was disappointed that they didn’t do anything special with it. At the end Bono sings the lyric to “the hands that built America, Please, and Johnny comes marching home again”

16 Running to Stand still: This is another song that hasn’t been played in years since 1993.  Instead of singing “I see seven tower” referring to Ballymum he stumbles and jokes and sing “I see seven towers no six towers” At the end he sing Happy Birthday to Au Jung sing and the chorus of “Walk on”

17/18 Pride and Streets: Two songs that really keep the crowd going but they are not my favourites songs. In fact I think they could be dropped from the set. But saying that he crowd loves these songs

19/20 One/Unchained melody: At the start of this song Bono give a long speech on his campaign against poverty. Yeah I admit I don’t knock Bono for doing all the good work he is trying to achieve. But the only thing that I get fed up with his this speech. The reason been, that all through the eighties Bono use to preach but he would do anytime during any song spontaneous not like now its all planned and that all that disappoints me. During Unchained Melody both Bono and Edge make a hiccup while singing this.

21/22 Zoo Station/The Fly: This was another highlight for me. Zoo station hasn’t been played since ZOOTV tour in 1993. Before the songs start The screens light up with some graphic of a slot machine and the faces of Tony Blair come up to be booed. Zoo station is starts and U2 do a mini Zootv set which was fantastic. Edge walks down one ramp and Bono again pulling shapes walks down the other into the crowd. The Fly starts up and rocks I really got to like this song again on the last tour

23 With or Without you: What can I say one of the all time U2 classics. Lights go down. The light show was just a light shining on a giant glitter ball. The slow clapping of the crowd keeping in beat with the drumming of Larry. This is an extra long version of the song cause Bono is busy dancing with some girl from the crowd.

24 Vertigo: For the second time tonight they played Vertigo. The second time they play it seems more heavier than earlier in the show. The crowd were still up for more singing dancing and hopping up and down. This time Bono claims “All this could be yours and you don’t have to evEn play the f***** GAA”. Vertigo slowlys dies and the builds up again Bono sings “There a place I go its not far away.. Theres a TV show that I can grow.. sometimes the feeling takes me sometime I can’t let go HELLO HELLO” and when you think he is going to sing more of Stories for boys he dives right back into Vertigo YAYYYYY””””

Tonight was definitely the best night of the three nights in Croker and here is the last song..

On the Screen “The End Flashes up and as the crowd is singing “How Long” to everyones surprise U2 walk back on stage to the cheers and delights.

Bono thanks the neighbours and the Gardi for giving them “an extra 30 minutes cause of the traffic delays and late start of the show”

25 Yahweh: Can’t say anything about this songs except that the all came to the front of the main stage to play it.

26 “40”: U2 finish up there weekend stay at Croker with the only song that they could finish on 40 This is another song that U2 have re-added into their set and about time too. This is a great song to finish any show off. Edge and Adam change places and guitars. Adam finishes playing first and walks of stage. Bono steps up to the crowd and sings and screams “HOW LONG TO SING THIS SONG” for the crowd to respond louder “HOW LONG TO SING THIS SONG” and the Bono waves and walks off leaving only Edge and Larry, then Edge keeps playing the bass stops waves to the crowd and is gone. Larry keeps a melodic drum beat going stops the Crowd sings on and then he restarts up his furious drum beat and one more smash of the symbols stands up and waves and the show is over. The crowd cheers and the restarts the How Long to sing this song Chant”

What night, What a show, What weekend, What a review sorry its so long

That’s all folks

Peter

-------------

Date Posted: 22-May-2006 at 19:22

Ah Pete, that's just fantastic. I'd my young fella there that night and he ws blown away by the whole thing. I envy ya being in the pit, though maybe these old bones wouldn't cope with all the manic goings on. For that I'll have to rely on memories of which there are many.

All references to you know who to cease fortwith !

Rolo.

Date Posted: 23-May-2006 at 03:37

Being in the Pit was grand there wasn't any pushing and shoving. I was on the outside now I wasn't in the middle of the pit. I tried to put up a Photo but in here it wouldn't let me....

I was listening to the bootleg of this while I was typing it up and I was reliving every moment of it.

I might have to review U2 in Slane, Popmart Zootv, Point and Croker 87 or have you all had enough of me and U2

-------------

Date Posted: 25-May-2006 at 08:40

Rolo.

Pete - thats a fantastic post and review, made it all seem so real.

btw now we all know how to get Rolo off our case if we mention CDB.

-------------
We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors, we have only borrowed it from our children.
-Ancient Proverb.

Date Posted: 25-May-2006 at 11:32

Sorry X,

Only works the once. You'll need to come up with something different to make me forget about A-Ha.

And also btw....................anyone for Robbie next week ?

Rolo.

Date Posted: 25-May-2006 at 12:14
Originally posted by xgrovehead xgrovehead wrote:

Rolo.

Pete - thats a fantastic post and review, made it all seem so real.

btw now we all know how to get Rolo off our case if we mention CDB.

Sorry XGH Who is that you are mentioning ? What does CDB stand for....

Glad you liked the review I hope it wasn't too long.I thought it was

-------------

Date Posted: 27-May-2006 at 09:46
hi from spain, pete cdb still means humiliation for you my friend and i won´t forget it

-------------
softlad

Date Posted: 27-May-2006 at 12:26
Originally posted by softlad softlad wrote:

hi from spain, pete cdb still means humiliation for you my friend and i won´t forget it

Ok Lionel Richie Fan....

Hey Steve are we getting a full review of your Wedding and Honeymoon

-------------

Date Posted: 10-June-2006 at 19:50
yeah wil give the full low-down when i get back, in L.A. at the moment

-------------
softlad

Date Posted: 11-July-2006 at 20:47

28 June 2006.

Palais Des Congres – Paris, France

This was holds about 10,000 or so and was sold out as far as I could see.

I flew over to see John Fogerty play in concert in Paris.

First time I had ever seen him play as headliner.

I have to say it was the best concert I was ever at. At 61 years old he played non stop for 2 hours solid.

The concert started with a video screen showing old footage and clips from CCR and solo songs and this video ended up with an introduction by Bill Clinton.

Fogerty then came on stage and opened with Travellin Band.

He finished with an encore of Rockin All Over The World, Bad Moon Rising and finally Proud Mary.

In between he played (not in this order) Blue Moon Nights, Born On The Bayou, Ramble Tamble, Bootleg, Keep On Chooglin, Green River, Sweet Hitch Hiker, Lookin Out My Back Door, Commotion, Up Around The Bend, Have You Ever Seen The Rain, Who'll Stop The Rain, I Heard It Through The Grapevine, Down On The Corner, Cotton Fields, Fortunate Son, Centrefield, It Came Out Of The Sky, The Midnight Special, Old Man Down The Road, Long As I Can see The Light, and a solo version of Deja Vu (All Over Again) which was very moving against a back drop of Viet Nam and John with his daughter.

He was amazing and the sound perfect.

After nearly every track he changed guitar and just kept the crowd on their feet throughout the whole show.

Truly the Son of God.

Rock and Roll dream came through. I've waited nearly 30 years to see my man. He didn't disappoint.

And there was a few taken afterwards.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 11-July-2006 at 21:06

Pat, isn't it just magic when something like that happens. You wait years and years and are treated to an awesome show.

Delighted for ya !

Now my turn.

Been waiting 11 years for another All Ireland.

Up the Dubs.

Rolo.

Date Posted: 12-July-2006 at 11:19
Again I plead ignorant I do not know any of John Fogartys songs. Except for Fortuanate son which I first heard as a U2 cover version on a B-side of "Who's gonna ride your wild horses".. Maybe there are a few tracks that I have heard but I don't realise it is him...

Date Posted: 19-July-2006 at 21:48

Pat, isn't it just magic when something like that happens. You wait years and years and are treated to an awesome show.

Delighted for ya !

Now my turn.

Been waiting 11 years for another All Ireland.

Up the Dubs.

Rolo.

Yo Rolo,

Not been on Forum for a while. Never go on the net when weather good as I'm always out and about or more often pissed in the back garden .

Yeah, it was really emotional as i really love Fogerty's music from Creedence to date. His music has been part of my life for nearly 40 years.

I think there's a groundswell of opinion that the Dubs will be there or thereabouts this year.

Mind you they need to start better then they did against Offaly.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 19-July-2006 at 21:53
Originally posted by Black Russian Black Russian wrote:

Again I plead ignorant I do not know any of John Fogartys songs. Except for Fortuanate son which I first heard as a U2 cover version on a B-side of "Who's gonna ride your wild horses".. Maybe there are a few tracks that I have heard but I don't realise it is him...

Try Bad Moon Rising, Proud Mary, Have You Ever Seen The Rain, Up Around The Bend, Hey Tonight, Green River. All top 10 hits '69/'70.

Then there's Rocking All Over The World written and recorded in 1975 by John Fogerty and on his solo album of 1975, on which by the way he plays all the instruments.

You should get that album simply called, John Fogerty, if you can. Regarded by most music buffs as a classic, not just my biased opinion.

For me he's just the best.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 23-July-2006 at 13:21

Don't know if any of you knew this but the Dollymount House closed its doors for the last time on Friday nght. The site has been sold to a developer who will ,no doubt,build yet another apartment block. Really feel sorry for the regulars who have been drinking there for years. Where are they gonna go now ?

Tell ya,if Tom Byrne gets any ideas...............................

Anyway,what the hell has this to do with a gig review,yiz may well ask.

To mark the occasion of the closure of the pub and in conjunction with a fundraiser for the local church and in conjunction with the DH Golf Society's last outing a very special performance was put on in the lounge on Friday Night.

The place was jammers. The average audience was far older than most of us ( yeah,even older than you, Pat.)At about ten thirty the show started..................

First,that Andy Williams classic..........." You're just too good to be true,can't take my eyes off you..........."  quickly followed by Delilah,That's Amore, Sweet Caroline,My First,My Last,My Everything among others.

But the pensioners were up on the seats and the tables when they heard the famous words....................." From the Candy Store on the Corner,to the Chapel on the Hill........."

Yeah,got it in one,Dickie Bleedin' Rock...............hafta say,it was a great night. There was a big gang of us having a few beers and a laugh.

Never thought I'd see the day..................glad Pete's on holidays,maybe he won't see this.

Rolo.

Date Posted: 24-July-2006 at 01:07

The place was jammers. The average audience was far older than most of us ( yeah,even older than you, Pat.)At about ten thirty the show started..................

But the pensioners were up on the seats and the tables when they heard the famous words....................." From the Candy Store on the Corner,to the Chapel on the Hill........."

Rolo .......Were you up on the tables with the pensioners there ???

Falling off me chair just imagining the scenario  . So I gather we wont be seeing you at the next reunion then ?

Good bye Led Zep and bring on ........Dickie Rock

-------------
Russ

Posted By: Sharon
Date Posted: 24-July-2006 at 01:53

Rolo

All I can think of is "Spit on me Dickie" I really cant believe you even posted that here for us all to take the p1ss.....lmftoroflmao

Must say i spent many a night down there in my courting days...and yes even joined in with the odd sing song but i drew the line at Dickie Rock....lmao

God am I really going to admit this here hmmmmmmmmm

ok i will........

I went to a cool gig last year.....1st i must tell you how i came to be at it...

My Dad is his no1 fan and it was his birthday last october and ofcourse us girlies(theres 3 girls in my family no boys) were sitting around deciding what to get the dad for his birthday and some smart arse shouted "I KNOW THERES A DICKIE CONCERT ON IN TOWN LETS BUY HIM TICKETS" wasnt me I swear so needless to say we agreed great stuff u go get tickets we will pay for them and throw in a nice meal for them before hand aswelll.........then i got the call"Shar why dont we all go for the laff we will get 8 tickets and we can all go celebrate Dads birthday together" I said " you are joking" ffs the years we sl*gged the folks over going to see dickie in the clontarf castle so we all agreed we would go to see him

The look on my Dads face when we gave him the tickets he was delighted but wanted to know why so many tickets..."we all said we are going with you." he stood there in shock i think, we promised we wouldnt make fun and we would behave when we went we were like little kids saying "ah Dad we wont make a show of you..we wont sl*g we promise"

So off we all went to Vicer street on the night hoping we wouldnt be seen by anyone going into see Dickie rock jeez weld never live that one down

We got to our tables giggling all the way in as the folks said hello to many ppl they knew ffs said hello to mrs rock and the family tried to introduce us and all they did we were scarlah....lol

so there we were sourounded by the blue rinse brigade and they daughters...i dont know but i really do think the daughters were there to see dickie not like us we only went to celebrate the Dads birthday...lol so on comes some funny guy that i cant remember his name but seemingly he is dickies support..get the crowd laffing so they dont cry....he was funny we laffed at a few jokes one ild actually tell again so down to the big man himself..............

We were ready to see him the folks sat up in their seats..we sat up so weld get a good view of dickies wig...plenty of jokes flying about that the bro in law plays the odd game of golf with dickie but thats another story

heres comes Dickie.....the crowd goes wild ..we are pissing ourselves laffing at them all.....drink is being drunk very quickly just so we could enjoy the gig...u know urself....

dickie starts to sing....im looking at him wondering why all the oldies love him he is one ugly fecker.....not knowing i am singing along with him...sh1t....i look at the others so are they....he sings some more...feck I know all his bloody songs...I'm enjoying myself could this be real??

I look over at the others they are having a ball all singing along standing up when every1 else stands up....jeez it gets to the Dads fav song"the candy store" we are singing along with Dickie at the tops of our voices.........what a night

Jeez must say it was a great night that good while we were going back for the cars we were having a bit of banter with dickies son and daughter and did we care if anyone saw us coming out of a Dickie Rock show........................................................ .......................

NOT A TOSS....ITS WAS BRILL

There you go ive admitted it and do i care ?

Nah it was a good show and every1 enjoyed themselves

Shar

-------------
All I wanted was chips!!

Date Posted: 24-July-2006 at 10:41
Two brilliant reviews - almost (but not quite) regretting my decision not to go on Friday nite!!

-------------
-Ancient Proverb.

Date Posted: 24-July-2006 at 12:15

Good on ya Shar.

Funny how a night goes like that. We went on Friday 'cos we were invited by some friends. All week we're looking at one another going " Ah jaysis,we're not really going are we ?, how are we gonna wangle out of this etc.,etc."

But I'm a great believer in a thing that says that if someone invites ya to something than ya should go if at all possible.

Will draw the line at saying that we were singing along with all the songs,though Shar,you're bang on,we did know them all.

And Russ,don't worry,one swallow don't make a summer.

Can confidently say that Friday Night's aberration will not have any sort of long lasting effect on my musical allegiances.

Rolo.

Date Posted: 24-July-2006 at 13:32

Rolo

You've got a great outlook onthings  . Very rude of me to try and give you stick about it ...........Sorry !

Sounds like you had a great crack !

Shar ....that was A brilliant post !!!

Russ

-------------
Russ

Date Posted: 27-July-2006 at 20:17

Don't know if any of you knew this but the Dollymount House closed its doors for the last time on Friday nght. The site has been sold to a developer who will ,no doubt,build yet another apartment block. Really feel sorry for the regulars who have been drinking there for years. Where are they gonna go now ?

To mark the occasion of the closure of the pub and in conjunction with a fundraiser for the local church and in conjunction with the DH Golf Society's last outing a very special performance was put on in the lounge on Friday Night.

First,that Andy Williams classic..........." You're just too good to be true,can't take my eyes off you..........."  quickly followed by Delilah,That's Amore, Sweet Caroline,My First,My Last,My Everything among others.

Yeah,got it in one,Dickie Bleedin' Rock...............hafta say,it was a great night. There was a big gang of us having a few beers and a laugh.

Never thought I'd see the day..................glad Pete's on holidays,maybe he won't see this.

Rolo.

DH was an institution. That's a terrible shame. But the send off gig by Dickie sounds like blast.

Whats happening to this place. I frequent Summit in Howth a lot and next year it's been redeveloped with apartments although the pub is being kept on.

F**king progress me arse..............where are old the old haunts gone

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 01-August-2006 at 08:43
Originally posted by Biker Pat Biker Pat wrote:

Rolo.

DH was an institution. That's a terrible shame. But the send off gig by Dickie sounds like blast.

Whats happening to this place. I frequent Summit in Howth a lot and next year it's been redeveloped with apartments although the pub is being kept on.

I agree Pat - and this together with your post about your Grannies farm in Leitrim reminds of a quote I heard once

"Motorways get ya there faster, but thats not what I'm after" 

Can't remember who said it - it was a musician though and it sums up my attitude to "progress".  Yes its nice to have wide roads and electricity and running water but not at the expense of the things that make our countryside and culture unique.  And that includes pubs like the DH and the Summit........there's a rumour the Yacht is going too.

-------------
-Ancient Proverb.

Date Posted: 02-August-2006 at 12:59

Rolo.

Ahem!!!! Cough Cough Cough !!!!!!  Dickie Bleedin' Rock..... 

Date Posted: 02-August-2006 at 13:21

I know Pete, mea culpa and all that.

As I said,we were invited by a good mate of mine to the Wake for the Dollier and couldn't say no. Turned out Dickie was performing and that he actually put on a great show for the punters.

Some of those old songs are classics. You seen The Deerhunter yet ? If ya have you'll understand why I like " Can't Take My Eyes Off You "

Rolo.

Date Posted: 02-August-2006 at 13:51

Thats still doesn't get you off the hook. Okay it was an invite for the wake of Dollier and you had no control over Dickie Bleedin' Rock playing but to admit you enjoyed Dickie Bleedin' Rock thats the worse part of it. Maybe it the old age setting in and time to settle down and listen to the Showband era music. You go through Midlife Crisis and the the Showband life Crisis. Don't know whic hits first though :-)...

I think Sonny Knowles, Red Hurley, and Dickie Bleedin' Rock are doing a reunion tour I hope you get a ticket

Date Posted: 03-August-2006 at 20:19

Rolo.

I agree Pat - and this together with your post about your Grannies farm in Leitrim reminds of a quote I heard once

"Motorways get ya there faster, but thats not what I'm after" 

Can't remember who said it - it was a musician though and it sums up my attitude to "progress".  Yes its nice to have wide roads and electricity and running water but not at the expense of the things that make our countryside and culture unique.  And that includes pubs like the DH and the Summit........there's a rumour the Yacht is going too.

Rock on XGH.

Was talking with the owner of the Summit. He told me it'll be next year before development starts. Told him I loved his pub and not to ruin it. He said they were going to do the thing as best they could and try and keep the old charm. Believe him or not

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 03-August-2006 at 20:24

I'd probably believe him Pat. That pub is an institution in Howth and he is shrewd enough to know this. Also,all his mates drink in there with him,they'll kill him if there's no decent pub there.

Any chance they'll get Dickie to perform at the closing down party in Zenith's ( We used call it Zits.)

Rolo.

Date Posted: 03-August-2006 at 20:38

I'd probably believe him Pat. That pub is an institution in Howth and he is shrewd enough to know this. Also,all his mates drink in there with him,they'll kill him if there's no decent pub there.

Any chance they'll get Dickie to perform at the closing down party in Zenith's ( We used call it Zits.)

Rolo.

Aslan.......was it also called K4 or something like that?

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 08-August-2006 at 12:57

Rolo.

Respect to Rolo and his encyclopediac knowledge of pub owners and restauranteurs!!!

Pat - are Aslan playing in the Summit on the last night?

-------------
-Ancient Proverb.

Date Posted: 12-August-2006 at 14:23

Rolo.

Respect to Rolo and his encyclopediac knowledge of pub owners and restauranteurs!!!

Pat - are Aslan playing in the Summit on the last night?

XGH, I don't know. All this renovation work is not happening till next eyar.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 12-August-2006 at 14:27

May I recommend Mr Sean O'Connor to all Forum members.

He's an old friend of mine and used to be guitarist with Diblin band called Randolf in the '70's and then went on to be guitarist with Lookalikes.

He's a fabulous guitarist and plays Friday nights in Sean O'Casey's in Marlborough St. He does other gigs as well.

Was there last night and really enjoyed the gig.

He does Creedence (of course), Pink Floyd, Eagles, Thin Lizzy, Beatles, Lynyrd Skynyrd...anything really....just ask him.

Rock on

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 12-September-2006 at 18:20

May I recommend Mr Sean O'Connor to all Forum members.

He's an old friend of mine and used to be guitarist with Diblin band called Randolf in the '70's and then went on to be guitarist with Lookalikes.

He's a fabulous guitarist and plays Friday nights in Sean O'Casey's in Marlborough St. He does other gigs as well.

Was there last night and really enjoyed the gig.

He does Creedence (of course), Pink Floyd, Eagles, Thin Lizzy, Beatles, Lynyrd Skynyrd...anything really....just ask him.

Rock on

That sounds like another excuse for a night out Pat

Posted By: myploscarfe
Date Posted: 25-October-2006 at 22:17

Roger Waters

29th June 2006

Marquee Cork

Set List

In The Flesh, Mother, Set The Controls For the Heart Of The Sun, Shine On You Crazy Diamond Parts 1 - 5, Have A Cigar, Wish You Were Here, Southampton Dock, The Fletcher Memorial Home, Perfect Sense parts 1 and 2.

Leaving Beirut, Sheep, The Complete Dark Side of the Moon

The Happiest Days Of Our Lives, Another Brick In The Wall (Pt 2), Vera, Bring the Boys back Home, Comfortably Numb.

Personnel

Nick Mason joined the band onstage for Dark Side and stayed to play for the rest of the show.

A balmy summer’s evening beside the River Lee, 4,500 fans turned out to attend Roger Water’s concert inside a tent.  What a night it turned out to be.  From the first count in by Roger to In The Flesh the place went wild and stayed wild.  The sound was great, supposedly quadraphonic but that only kind of made itself apparent for Sheep and parts of Dark Side.  A small quibble that did not take away from the show one iota.  The really great thing about the show was the small venue.  It made everything very cosy.  Roger was in fine voice and where he couldn’t handle the vocals, Gilmore’s parts, there was plenty of support from the rest of the band.  Couldn’t really tell that it was not the Floyd up there.  Shine On as well as Wish You Were Here where performed with imagery of Syd Barret displayed on the giant screen behind the band all very poignant considering Syd had just recently passed on.

During Perfect Sense the sound failed.  Waters decided it was a good time for the intermission.  Time for a couple of beers. After everything had been reprogrammed the band came back on to complete the rest of the first part.  They then brought Nick Mason on and launched into a stunning recital of Dark Side.  The only problem with Dark Side Of The Moon was the end of it! 

Nick Mason stayed to play the rest of the show with the band.  All in all a brilliant night.  We were very lucky to get Roger Waters at the Marquee considering how small the capacity of it is.  21,000 had seen him three nights previously in Stavanger Norway.  25,000 three nights later at Hyde park and from what I can gather no punches were pulled when they played to the 4,500 in Cork.

Such is how memories are formed…Wish you were there!

By the way for Floyd enthusiasts there is a really good DVD available for free download from Neptune Pink Floyd one of the better bootlegs that I have seen.

-------------
Careful With That Patchoulie Oil Eugene

Date Posted: 25-October-2006 at 22:20

Wow, some set list and some line up.

See , living in the back of beyond does have it's advantages.biggrinbiggrin

Now,really upset me and tell me you saw Planty there too.

Date Posted: 25-October-2006 at 22:25
Would love to have been able to but cannot.  Saw Dylan though he was...well Dylan, very enjoyable.

-------------

Posted By: RoundaboutToo!
Date Posted: 25-October-2006 at 23:14
Agree - great line up and set. Wish I was there!
I saw Dylan in Dublin last November - both nights.
From the reviews prior to the gigs, we went there not expecting brilliant shows, he didn't play guitar (arthritis?), but keyboards and harmonica, and both shows were really excellent. Same line up as Modern Times.
CP

Date Posted: 25-October-2006 at 23:35

Didn't catch Dylan last time, think we were away,but did see him about four years ago ( I think ) also at the Point. Enjoyed the show, amazing that he still does it after all these years.

Saw Planty at The Olympia last December, loved that too.( Sorry Star !)Avatar

Date Posted: 26-October-2006 at 07:27
Dylan really is a living legend.  Into his fifth decade of music and still performing and writing music of interest.  I cannot think of one Dylan album without something of worth on it.  After the wilderness of the late eighties and most of the nineties when he really was only treading water he really is back on form and appears to be enjoying himself.  I remember going to see him in Brussels 1997 and being nervous that he was going to be a disaster.  But he came out and belted out Leopardskin Pillbox Hat as the opening number, superb.  I could have gone home then as I was so happy that he still was able to rock even for one song but the rest of the show was equally magnificent.

-------------

Posted By: Floyd
Date Posted: 11-November-2006 at 21:10

Seen many a good show since this review,but this one warrants posting as you will see. Whitesnake,last Olympia gig (2005)

Played a typical 'Snake show,all the stompers and so on.Coverdale called the Olympia a 'nice little doll's house'-suppose not too far wrong there.Plenty of decibels,guitar solo,obligatory drum solo (played it with his hands-very impressive if not a bit of a Bonzo rip off) and old DC owning the stage.

We spilled out of the Olymia not onto Dame Street but down a side lane where the stage door is. We looked at each other and thought 'nah,they'll be in there for hours'

We gave it a half hour and sure enough,one by one out they came out.Bassist Marco Mendoza first (think I've spelled that right-should know-have his autograph!) stayed chatting for a good 15 mins outside the stage door.We asked him where were the band off to and he replied 'Where else? The Hard Rock Cafe'.We thought he was just saying that.So we waited for the finale-David Coverdale came out of the stage door and happily signed autographs and posed for pictures. (will someone please tell me how I can post them on PM's/the site-not a computer buff!) Even got about 30 seconds of video with him.

More than happy with our meeting,off we went,through Temple Bar heading for the nite-link,which of course,brought us passed the Hard Rock Cafe. Who was standing outside smoking a cigar-Marco Mendoza! (had to laugh,rock star or not he still had to stand outside for a puff!) We said hi again and he said why not come in for a drink? Couldn't believe it-downstairs with Whitesnake,hanging out,having beers and more photos and autographs! Was dying at work next day but well worth it.I guess thats my claim to fame.I'm noit a proffessional 'groupie' but when one of my bigger heroes comes to town I'll be trying it again!

-------------
There are three kinds of people in the world,those who are able to count,and those who can't...

Date Posted: 12-November-2006 at 15:11
Floydman
I went to see Whitesnake in the Point brilliant show sorry now I missed them in The Olympia...
Great story. If you want to post your pictures you will have to shrink them down to 100k (Make a copy of the original before you mess around with them don't want to loose or ruin them)

P

Date Posted: 16-November-2006 at 23:38

Roger Waters plays the Point in May!!! Whaahhaay!!

-------------
There are three kinds of people in the world,those who are able to count,and those who can't...

Posted By: irish_mammy
Date Posted: 17-November-2006 at 06:59

He plays here too. Not sure if he's just in Sydney.

Where's that bloody babysitter.

-------------
Lesley

25th June - 25th July. Get organising my nights out. Child can stay in the car.

Grove 1980-1984

Date Posted: 19-November-2006 at 09:29
Originally posted by Floydman Floydman wrote:

Roger Waters plays the Point in May!!! Whaahhaay!!

Definitely a show not to be missed!!!!

-------------

Posted By: finno
Date Posted: 19-November-2006 at 09:38
At 99 euro a pop!

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 19-November-2006 at 10:07

I know I know......

But

It depends on how much of a nut you are.  I have a mate who is a really serious Floyd fan.  When Floyd played Live8 he was living in Australia at the time.  Two days before the concert after dithering for some time about whether to go or not he decides to head for London.  Three very expensive flights later he arrives in London town on the morning of Live8.  Of course he has no ticket but this is sorted by paying 1000sterling for one outside the venue.  He then slept for the day at the concert and woke up in time to witness Floyd play.  Got on a plane the next day and back to Australia.  Kind of compulsive kind of mad but kind of awesome too!!!  Bet he will be at the Point (he is back in Dublin now).

-------------

Date Posted: 19-November-2006 at 10:14
Saw Pink Floyd years ago in Venice stunning backdrop finished with fireworks

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 19-November-2006 at 10:19

Never had the pleasure

-------------

Date Posted: 19-November-2006 at 11:30

Closest I got (apart from seeing Waters twice,onnce when he had drummer Nick Mason with him) was in '88 when they planned to play the RDS. Bloody thing was cancelled due to horse shows a week before and the Floyd needed a week to set up the stage...three stages in rotation for every tour at the time.

Bloody Horse Show!!

Waters in the Point and at Cork definitely made up for it.

Anybody thinking of going to the Poiunt for Waters should see myploscarfe's above review...nailed it on the head.

-------------

Date Posted: 20-November-2006 at 13:23

Guys, as indicated elsewhere,we were invited to the Olympia on Friday night to see Paul Weller by a couple of big fans. Wasn't really sure what to expect as although I do enjoy some of The Jam stuff, never really got The Style Council and really haven't kept up to date with his solo career.

Anyway, went along with an open mind, as you do, and since The Olympia is my favourite venue in town was hoping for an enjoyable evening.

The lads took the stage round about 9 ( as distinct from Roundabout too ) and launched into a surprisingly " Rocky " set. I must admit to not knowing any of the songs from the early part of the set but hafta say they weren't bad at all. The audience was singing along to all the songs ( can't tell if they were singing the right lyrics though biggrin ) so the guy obviously still has a loyal fan base.

The band was excellent, apparently the guitar player was in Ocean Colour Scene and was really good.

Later on in the set we got, Thick As Thieves, This Is The Modern World, You Do Something To Me, songs I did recognise. The show finished with a real rocky version of A Town Called Malice which I've always liked.

Overall impression, won't say I'm a convert but I really enjoyed the show and think I would make an effort next time around. ( Provided it's in The Olympia again.)

Roll on next week and The Killers.

Posted By: Bluebell
Date Posted: 20-November-2006 at 13:36
Good review Rolo....would of loving to be there, I've always liked Paul Weller and have to agree with you I think the Olympia is the best place for a concert or show....you just get caught up in the atmosphere, even if you don't know all the songs.

-------------
You are what you wanna be....age doesn't matter

Posted By: Hayseed Dixie
Date Posted: 20-November-2006 at 13:51

Anybody thinking of going to the Poiunt for Waters should see myploscarfe's above review...nailed it on the head.

I'll definitely be giving that gig consideration. Don't do that many live gigs these days..but might fork out for this one. If just for the chance to see the Dark Side of the Moon played live in it's entirety.

Saw him last time he played in the Point with the full orchestra..was amazing!!

-------------
Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. - (Henri Cartier-Bresson)

Date Posted: 20-November-2006 at 13:57

Always liked Paul Weller Rolo and sounds like a good gig.

I have kinda lost touch with his more recent stuff..but I liked the Jam and the Style Council...their debut album is really good.

The connection with the Ocean Colour scene probably comes from the fact that Weller is..or at least was..their manager. They are one band I've never really warmed too....

Anyway.. Ilike the way Paul Weller always manages to reinvent himself every now and then... from Punk..to Mod...to Sophisticated Politico..to Soul funk artist to guitar weilding angry rocker...

Long may he run...

Just sorry I didn't get to the gig...and in the Olympia and all...

-------------
Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. - (Henri Cartier-Bresson)

Date Posted: 21-November-2006 at 11:56
The Olympia is a treasure.  Saw loads of bands there...Warren Zevon, Iggy Pop,  Van Morrison,  Tom Waits, Dr John...really great place for a gig, as Bluebell said the atmosphere is special!!  Hope they never decide to yuppi-ise the place...

-------------

Posted By: Blondie
Date Posted: 21-November-2006 at 14:09
Ah Rolo sounda fab as I said big fan cant believe I missed him

-------------
Blondie
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it !

Date Posted: 21-November-2006 at 15:00
Last time I was at a gig there was Al Stewart great gig. saw last week he was in Dublin but missed it. 

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 22-November-2006 at 13:31

Okay...here's a pic ...taken by Rolo at the Paul Weller gig ..for your perusal

-------------

Date Posted: 22-November-2006 at 13:32

Actually Rolo...where you up in the "Gods" ?

-------------

Date Posted: 22-November-2006 at 13:41

Front row of the Gods. Great view and great sound too.

Bit too old for all that jumping around stuff.

Thanks for that HD.

Date Posted: 22-November-2006 at 13:55

Haven't been up in the Gods for years... last time I think was Clanaad at Midnight at the Olympia..many many moons ago...was great craic...

-------------

Posted By: Phoenix
Date Posted: 23-November-2006 at 13:21
Went to Primal Scream the other week in the Olympia.... great craic..and was down on the floor with my older cousin right up at the front... lots of moshin goin on... Sound was lousy though even though they ROCKED... Maybe it was just that it was the kick off for their tour.

Date Posted: 23-November-2006 at 22:33

Front row of the Gods. Great view and great sound too.

Bit too old for all that jumping around stuff.

Thanks for that HD.

I've often decided aginst gigs cos only tickets left were up in the Gods and the sound was supposed to be dire...has it improved?

-------------

Date Posted: 23-November-2006 at 22:47
Did I hear right on the radio the other day that Roger Waters tickets START at 90 odd Euro?!!!

If that is the case I'll be giving him a miss...that is a rip off...!!

-------------

Date Posted: 23-November-2006 at 22:58

Yup. €92.25 to be precise.

Didn't stop me getting three this morning,though.

-------------

Date Posted: 23-November-2006 at 22:58
AND he's on on a Monday night...

-------------

Date Posted: 23-November-2006 at 23:00
UK gigs tickets start at 45 euro!

-------------
A man must have a code

Date Posted: 23-November-2006 at 23:05

Well I'm afraid I wont be paying those prices. I saw him a couple of years back at the Point. Was a brilliant gig..but I don't need to see him that badly again. If it was Floyd I'd think about it. Much rather spend 40 Euro and see a good band up close and personal in Vicar Street..hehehe!!

-------------

Date Posted: 26-November-2006 at 13:13

I know it's mad HD, but I've never seen him or Floyd so won't let this opportunity pass by.

Posted By: star
Date Posted: 29-November-2006 at 09:45
Rolo, text me when the Killers are playing. that would be a "killer" gig... sorry ,had to!

-------------
Never Again on a school night! Famous last words

Date Posted: 29-November-2006 at 10:42

Might just do that Star.

Assuming it wouldn't disrupt your Derek Whateverhisnameis or I'd love to be a half assed third rate celebrity...........

And your chosen song is..........???

Date Posted: 30-November-2006 at 13:47

I know it's mad HD, but I've never seen him or Floyd so won't let this opportunity pass by.

I have to agree with you for once Rolo I never seen Floyd or Waters. But when I saw the price I said shag this and wasn't going to get tickets. My mate that I go to gigs with just went and got me a ticket anyway so I said feck it I go. Its grand he got the tickets on Credit Card so I have a few weeks to pay it

P

-------------

Date Posted: 06-December-2006 at 23:46

Thought I'd relate a story from a past gig in keeping with the site thread...

Anyone remember or go to the Millstreet Music Festivals during the 90's? There were really quite good-ran for about 4 years...typically had three stages-an outdoor one,the Millstreet venue itself,plus a marquee (where Gavin Friday played a blinder).

One year (1994) they decided to dedicate the whoile thing to Irish famine victims and Bob Dylan was to headline. Unfortunately,halfway through the day he cancelled due to illness so the bill was shuffled. They put Steve Earl on third last,then Christy Moore and then The Pogues. All through the day the 'goodies' (Corrs,Brian KennedyMary Black etc) were remembering the famine victims with solemn words like 'I'd like to sing this for...' whereas good ol' Shane came out and shouted 'F--k the famine victims...and F--k Bob Dylan!' and dived into Irish Rover.

Earlier in the Millstreet stage Tom Robinson played a cool set.Atmospherics,Sing if your glad to be Gay,2-4-6-8 Motorway etc and at the end of his set everybody shouted for War Baby. He apologised that he was out of time and had to go off (kind of a mini Live Aid thing where you played for 25 minutes and got fined if you went on for longer) but the crowd insisted he played it. He shrugged and said into the mic 'I can't play it hear,but if you want to hear War Baby,go down to the back of the hall and I'll play it.' Everyone thought it was a joke but curiously headed down to the back and there he was-standing at one of the exits,guitar in hand and played War Baby-unplugged! He played for another 15 minutes after that,even as Altan were appearing on stage they were being ignored.

He stopped playing and hung around afterwards and signed autographs. Cool bloke!

-------------

Date Posted: 07-December-2006 at 08:52
Sounds like a gig to remember

-------------
A man must have a code

Posted By: Fester
Date Posted: 08-December-2006 at 23:40
Right folks this will probably blow my street cred and Grover credentials with a lot of you but what the hell. A great gig tonight, yep George Michael at the Point. My kid brother got me a ticket as an early 40th pressy and brought me along, wasn't sure what to expect but almost despite myself had a brilliant night. Amazing stage show, nearly all the hits of which I knew nearly all the words (doh!) and not a person in the house without a big bloody smile on their face walking out. The guy is a serious performer. Apologies to the Rock element of the board but  if anyone has a ticket for tomorrow night you are in for a treat ...  

Posted By: Tonto
Date Posted: 13-December-2006 at 12:54
Sorry...

I went to the The Human League last night (on a freebee) in Vicar St.
I don't think I'll be going to see them ever again!!!! I sat in the bar for most of it....zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...zz.zz.z

Long live Rock and Roll

Tony

-------------
Grover 84-88...ish... I think..
I dunno! I was all dazed and confused...(with Floyd)..
http://www.facebook.com/tmirolo - http://www.facebook.com/tmirolo

Date Posted: 13-December-2006 at 14:29

Forgot to mention to everybody you were at George the other night too,didn't ya Tonto???

I'd nearly forgive Human League but George Micheal???

Next someone will own up to Daniel O'Donnell...

-------------

Date Posted: 13-December-2006 at 15:25

Pete..................you there ?

Posted By: LORRI
Date Posted: 13-December-2006 at 22:51
  Brought my daughter to see Pussycat Dolls last month and they did a cover of Whole lotta love!!!   Bizarre

Date Posted: 14-December-2006 at 11:35

cruel......so cruel......

i like it

-------------
softlad

Date Posted: 14-December-2006 at 20:48
Friday,30th March 2007...Point Depot...

-------------

Posted By: Noodles
Date Posted: 16-December-2006 at 00:19

Hey lads, just wondering if anyone has ever been to a " Vibe for Philo " in the last few years. Thinking of going this January and wondering what the crack was.

Noodles.

Date Posted: 16-December-2006 at 01:06

Never been,Noodles-always wanted to. Think the whole of Christmas and New Year takes over a bit then it gets passed by.

I'm sure a gathering could be organised...

-------------

Date Posted: 21-December-2006 at 00:06
Originally posted by softlad softlad wrote:

cruel......so cruel......

i like it

BASTARDS

-------------

Date Posted: 21-December-2006 at 00:12
Ears are ringing  here. Just home from Iron Maiden gig and I have to say I thought they were very very good. They played their new album completely and then went into 5 of their old songs "Fear of the Dark" classic version of that, and also great version of HALLOW BE THY NAME . I let Softlad do the full review he the real Maiden fan...

P

-------------

Date Posted: 21-December-2006 at 19:31

Look forward to that...passed by the Point earlier that day and stuff was being loaded into the stage off truckes. Was sorry I didn't get a ticket. Pogues there tonight.

How was it Softlad? 

-------------

Posted By: Vinyl Junkie
Date Posted: 21-December-2006 at 19:42

Hey lads, brother in law bought me a ticket for the Iron Maiden gig as a surprise Christmas present.  I enjoyed the gig but I was disappointed they didnt play more of their older stuff.  Wanted to hear "Running Free".  Fear of the Dark was brill though as was Two minutes to midnight!

-------------
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net