Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Members Gig Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 32>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Members Gig Reviews
    Posted: 13-April-2006 at 05:51

OK, most of us came on here first 'cos of The Grove and the music played by the one and only Cecil.

I,for one,have never lost my love of the music of the time and still get to as many gigs as I can.

So,as a result of having seen the latest incarnation of Thin Lizzy last night at the Olympia,I've started this Topic to invite members to post their reviews of any gigs they've seen.

Can be a gig from years ago that sticks in the memory or a recent one or whatever.

What'd really be good would be that if anyone went to any gigs in the future that they'd come on here and tell us about it.

Rolo.

Sponsored Links

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2006 at 06:32

THIN LIZZY

Olympia Theatre,Wednesday,12th April,2006.

Live and Dangerous,my first ever Rock Album...............and what an introduction.

From the opening riff of " Jailbreak " to the closing notes of " The Rocker ",for a 14 year old this was just mindblowing stuff. I fell in love with Lizzy the day I got that album and twenty seven years on, not a lot has changed.

Obviously,the band's line up has changed through the years,Eric Bell, Brian Downey, Brian Robertson,Gary Moore, Snowy White and Darren Wharton have all been and gone. Last night's line up featured Scott Gorham on guitar, Michael Lee on drums, Marco Mendoza on bass and John Sykes on vocals and guitar.

So,it was with a great deal of trepidation that I went along last night. I mean,how would Sykes and Co. ever fill the shoes of Ireland's ( and mine ) first rock legend,the one and only Phil Lynott.

I needn't have worried.

From the moment the set kicked off with an up tempo version of Whiskey in the Jar it was obvious that Sykes had no intention of trying to emulate Philo,quite the opposite in fact,his sole objective was to try do the songs justice, while constantly referring to the great man in almost reverential tones.

From there the set contained hit after hit, Don't Believe A word,Chinatown,Waiting for an Alibi, Are You Ready, Jailbreak,Cold Sweat,Do Anything You Want To Do and of course,Emerald..................bam de bam bam,all the classics,one after the other.

A quick break for the three guitarists allowed Michael Lee display the full reportoire of his drumming skills in an eight minute solo version of Sha La La La La which was folllowed by one of my all time favourites, Still in Love With You. This for me, was the only low point of the evening as for me,nothing can replace Philo's vocals and Brian Robertson's amazing guitar solo on the live version of that song.

The obligatory Cowboy Song / Boys are Back In Town combo followed Warrior,with a time delay of about thirty seconds between the end of Cowboy Song and the start of The Boys, while the enraptured audience wondered whether or not this new version of Lizzy would adhere to tradition and run one into the other. Of course we were not disappointed.

A quick break and the first encore,Dancing in The Moonlight was followed by another favourite, in Philo's own words......." A number recorded by Bob Seger, a number called .....Rosalie "

Then they were off again before a last visit to the stage for an eight minute version of Roisin Dubh, The Black Rose..........." Oh tell me the story of the young Cuchulainn, how his eyes were dark, his expression sullen............" what ridiculous lyrics, typical of Philo.

Then it was over, what a show.......................

The audience ranged from 12 - 60,among them, Joe Elliot from Def Leppard, actor Liam Cunningham,a very animated Gerry Ryan who was giving it loads all night and the guest of honour, Philo's mother Philomena who's presence added an authenticity to the event.( Oh yeah and she rocked her way through the show as well as anyone.)

So there ya have it,an altogether magic experience in the most intimate of venues.

Rolo.

xgrovehead View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2006 at 07:36
Good one Rolo - would like to see your review of the last David Byrne gig in the same venue?  Seeing as your not doing anywork today.smiley2
We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors, we have only borrowed it from our children.
-Ancient Proverb.
russell View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
Really Really Senior Member
82-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2006 at 09:22

Rolo sounds like it was a night to remember !

Really like this Idea of a gig review., although I still love the music from that era., my music taste has changed a bit, so I'll be doing reviews on people you've never even heard off .smiley2

Russ
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2006 at 09:33

That's the whole point Russ. Maybe we can all broaden our tastes and check out some new stuff if it's been recommended by someone.

Xgh, will try to come up with something on David Byrne if the memory will let me.

Rolo.

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2006 at 10:30

Just a little reminder of Philo, Robbo and Scott Gorham in the old days.

Rolo.

Biker Pat View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2006 at 16:45
Originally posted by Rolo Rolo wrote:

OK, most of us came on here first 'cos of The Grove and the music played by the one and only Cecil.

I,for one,have never lost my love of the music of the time and still get to as many gigs as I can.

So,as a result of having seen the latest incarnation of Thin Lizzy last night at the Olympia,I've started this Topic to invite members to post their reviews of any gigs they've seen.

Can be a gig from years ago that sticks in the memory or a recent one or whatever.

What'd really be good would be that if anyone went to any gigs in the future that they'd come on here and tell us about it.

Rolo.

Rolo,

See below from thread "favourite concerts".

Where do I start?

I don't go to gigs much anymore as the bands/artists from my generation don't come around much anymore.

Am going to see John Fogerty (ex lead singer/guitarist with Creedence Clearwater Revival) in Paris on 28 June. He's my main man and he only ever came here once as 3rd act on the Tina Turner gig in July 2000. He's not playing here (why I don't know) so my mate who lives in Paris has got tickets. Can't wait and will be very emotional as I've waited 30+ years to go to a gig by my man John Fogerty.

Some special memories were Quo at the Stadium in 1977. BB King at the Stadium when the man gave me a badge with Ireland/USA flag saying "wear it proudly BB King". Neil Young Wembley Arena '82/Point '96 (I had a seat but asked to stay on the ground). Mr Young is awesome everytime. When he comes on stage I well up as he's a true legend. Iggy Pop at the Stadium was the wildest gig I was ever at. The guy just went bananas on stage. ZZ Top at SFX. Before their second coming with the Eliminator album in '83. They were brill and not a big crowd. I always loved the early 1970's ZZ Top stuff so I was glad I went. The Rory Gallagher gigs at the Stadium were massive as well. Fleetwood Mac in Point 2003 were superb. Another band I really love.

But all below were great in different ways.

AC/DC, ALICE COOPER, BREAD, BOB DYLAN, BILLY IDOL, BB KING, BOOMTOWN RATS, BLUES BAND, BRUCE HORNSBY, BRYAN ADAMS, BONNIE RAITT, CROSBY STILLS AND NASH, CANNED HEAT, DIRE STRAITS, DR FEELGOOD, DOOBIE BROTHERS, DONOVAN, DEF LEPPARD, ELTON JOHN, ERIC CLAPTON, FRANKIE MILLER, FLEETWOOD MAC, GERRY RAFFERTY, GEORGIA SATELLITES, HORSLIPS, HUMAN LEAGUE, IGGY POP, JONATHAN RICHMAN, JEFF HEALEY, JUDAS PRIEST, JAMES TAYLOR, JASON AND THE SCORCHERS, JOHN FOGERTY, KINKS, NEIL YOUNG, NILS LOFGREN, PIRATES, PRETENDERS, ROLLING STONES, ROXY MUSIC, ROGER MC GUINN, ROGER GILMOUR, RORY GALLAGHER, STATUS QUO, SINEAD O'CONNOR, STEVE EARLE AND THE DUKES, STEVE MILLER, TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS, THE TROGGS, THE SWEET, U2, WARREN ZEVON, WATERBOYS, WISHBONE ASH, ZZ TOP   

I know this has not been a specific review but I'll do one after the Fogerty concert in June.

Edited by Biker Pat
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2006 at 09:54

Please do that Pat, will look forward to seeing it.

Right, just for Xgh.

I've been a Talking Heads fan for years, in fact Fear of Music is one of my favourite albums ever but sadly I never got to see them perform live.

I'd seen David Byrne a couple of times,once during his Brazilian Music phase and once during his reincarnation as a solo artist in The Ambassador Theatre and had seen The Tom Tom Club in McGonagles a right few years ago, all of which were really cool shows,so it was with great anticipation that we went along to the Olympia on 27th July 2004 for what was to be the last show of the European Leg of the Grown Backwards tour.

The set was just fantastic.

Old Heads numbers interspersed with some of his solo catalogue.As it was nearly two years ago, it's impossible for me to remember the exact set but I know we got,..... I Zimbra, Air, Burning Down The House, Once in a Lifetime, And She Was,This Must be The Place ( Naive Melody ),Road to Nowhere,an Accoustic version of Psycho Killer and a really up tempo version of Life During Wartime ( my favourite ), all from the Heads Years.

From his solo years we got two more favourites,this time from The Catherine Wheel, his Dance Collaboration with Twyla Tharp ( which Xgh hates ),What a Day That Was and His Wife Refused ( Eyes wide Open )

DB photoWe got Glass Concrete and Stone, She only Sleeps with Me and Uni De Felice from Grown Backwards during all of which Byrne and his band were accompanied by The Tosca Strings, something which added a different and most interesting dimension to the sound.

The crowd just lapped it all up,everyone was on their feet from the word go, you couldn't help but be consumed by Byrne's unbelievable sense of rhythm and movement.

The night ended with an extremely long version of Lazy with the band and the string section really belting it out. It's always a joy to see someone perform if it appears that they're enjoying themselves and although it was the last night of a gruelling tour you got no sense that either Byrne or the Band were going through the motions.

Next time this icon of the New York New Wave movement comes to town make it your business to go see him.

You've all been warned.

Rolo.

Edited by Rolo
Black Russian View Drop Down
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2006 at 08:00

Rolo

Great review of Thin Lizzy show I am sorry now I missed that. I have never seen them live and I didn't think it be worth going to ee them without Philo... If they play again I defo will go...

Thin Lizzy(with Philo), Queen)(with Freddie) and Pink Floyd are some of the bands I would really love to see live.. Hope Floyd will tour again hopefully but doubtful with Roger Waters

"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2006 at 08:13

Tell ya Pete, after the reaction of the crowd that night, unless they have a falling out or something, they'll defo be back. Only problem is that it'll probably be in the Point and not the Olympia which is just magic for gigs.Rumour has it that Gary Moore and Brian Robertson are not happy about the boys using the name.Have to say I was wondering what it would be like without Philo but was not disappointed.

Saw Robert Plant there before Christmas. Again magic.( did a quasi review somewhere for Star ).

Rolo.

softlad View Drop Down
88 - still rockin’ hard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2006 at 16:26

[QUOTE=Rolo]

.Rumour has it that Gary Moore and Brian Robertson are not happy about the boys using the name.Have to say I was wondering what it would be like without Philo but was not disappointed.

Saw Robert Plant there before Christmas. Again magic.( did a quasi review somewhere for Star ).

.have seen three times now rolo in this incarnation and have yet to be disappointed. john sykes has a reasonable singing voice on his own so they come across quite well. as for the other two disapproving , quite frankly who cares. as i remember both failed to show for the vibe for philo in the point 10 years ago and even downey had an outing on the sticks that night. Gary moore has pulled out of his 2 last dublin shows at the last minute with f**k all apologies so screw him.

as for planty and the strange sensation well that was my gig of the year last year. the whole mighty rearranger album and live set is a huge return to form by robert plant. looking to go to cork and see him play during the summer. he's playing some festival down there.

Edited by softlad
softlad

"remember if you wanna get aHEAD you gotta give a little"
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2006 at 04:39
Gary Moore failed to show up for his support slot with Whitesnake a few years back...
Who cares what Gary Moore thinks....

What did Gary Moore ever give us......

softlad View Drop Down
88 - still rockin’ hard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 16:35

AN EVENING WITH DIO :  HOLY DIVER LIVE 2005

AMBASSADOR THEATRE

TUESDAY 25th OCTOBER 2005

SETLIST:

Tarot Woman
Sign of the southern cross
One night in the city

Stand up and shout
Holy Diver
Gypsy
Caught in the middle
Dont talk to strangers
Straight through the heart
Invisible
Rainbow in the dark
Shame on the night with extended solo + keyboard solo
Followed by outro of holy diver

Gates of babylon
man on the silver mountain
catch the rainbow/long live rock'n'roll
Heaven and hell
Last in Line
We Rock

yes indeed the littlest man with the biggest voice was in dublin again, already moved from the temple bar music centre to the ambassador we had worried that the venue might not be full. we needn't have bothered! it was jammed solid to see the legend , the voice of two of the greatest rock outfits of all time. would he play some rainbow? was there a black sabbath track in the offing? you'd better believe it!surrounded by a band of seasoned players ronnie rocked tonight. doug aldrich : guitars , scott warren : keyboards, simon wright :drums and rudy sarzo on the bass. the evening consisted of dio's classic moments with both rainbow and sabbath and some of his solo stuff and included for the first time the holy diver album played live in its entirety. doug played superbly having been a late stand in for the injured craig goldy and he kept that famous blackmore sound alive by using a strat during the rainbow numbers. stand out moments for me 'gates of babylon', 'southern cross' and of course the awesome 'heaven and hell'. the crowd reaction was superb , the pre-emptive singing from inside the pulsating venue didn't throw ronnie off , in fact i believe it spurred him on even more. it's hard to believe this guy started out before the beatles yet here he is now 40 years on, note perfect and conducting his orchestra like a deranged mini maestro. the dedications to one of his old partners in crime, cozy powell brought cheers of gratitude and remembrance , before finally launching into a furious  'we rock'.

thanks to you ronnie tonight ,we did.

softlad

"remember if you wanna get aHEAD you gotta give a little"
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2006 at 04:20
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
I have always wanted to see DIO live. See him live would be like seeing three great performer Rainbow/Sabbath/Dio all rolled into one it be great.  I couldn't believe I missed this gig I never even heard anything about this gig..
Next time he plays let me know Steve

In a huff now

86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2006 at 16:33

Well the Jacks are back and what An All-Ireland we have for you tonight”

1st Night Set list:

Vertigo, I will follow, The Electric Co., Elevation, New Years day, Beautiful Day, I still haven’t found, Who gonna ride your wild horses, City of Blinding lights, Miracle Drug, Sometimes you can’t make it on your own, Love and Peace or Else, Sunday bloody Sunday Bullet the Blue Sky, Running to stand still,Pride, Where the streets, One ,Zoo station, The Fly,With or without you, All because of you, Yahweh, Vertigo incl“Jailbreak”( encore).

2nd Night Set list:

Vertigo, Out of Control, The Electric Co, Elevation, New Years day, Beautiful Day, I still haven’t found, All I want is you , City of blinding lights, Miracle drug, Sometimes you can’t.., Love and Peace or Else, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet the Blue sky, Running to stand still, Pride, Streets, One, Zoo Station, The Fly, Mysterious ways, Party Girl, All because of you, Yahweh, Vertigo incl “Jailbreak”(Encore)

“Well the Jacks are back and what An All-Ireland we have for you tonight” This is how Bono welcomed the crowds to Croke Park for their first ever concert back in Croke Park in 1985 unfortunately I was not allowed to go to this show and I had to listen to it from my backgarden and what a show it was. Well 20 years later U2 have conquered the world with their music and are playing 3nights in Croke Park and I was there the 3 nights.

This is a quick review of the first two nights because they were similar setlist for both nights. I am sitting up right at the top of the Cusack stand scared sh*tless (I hate heights).

U2 appear on stage each night to the closing notes of Arcade Fire “Wake up”. They open up each night with Vertigo which really gets the crowd fired up. They played some of the old reliable songs such as I will follow New Years day and Pride. On this tour U2 have revisited some of their old classics that they haven’t played in years some nearly as long as 20 odd years, such as Gloria, Electric Co, The Ocean from 1981.

The highlights from the first two nights was “The Electric Co”, “Out of Control”, “Whos gonna ride your wild horses” and Zoo Station (both haven’t been played since 1993 Zootv tour) and Party Girl where Bono brings a fan up on stage to play the Guitar with Edge. During a slowed down intro for Elevation Bono sings “Northsider in the rain tra a la la” to the tune of “Brown girl in the ring”.and during Beautiful Day he sings a snippet of “When the rain comes” cause on the first night it was raining, also during Out of Control” Bono mention how “They stole Edge from Wales and that he is playing in a GAA stadium.”

86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2006 at 16:34

The Boys are back in town

Set list 3

Vertigo, All because of you, Gloria, Elevation, An Cat Dubh, Beautiful Day,I still haven,t found, Original of the species, Bad, City of Blinding lights, Miracle Drug, Sometimes you can’t make it on your own, Love and Peace or Else, Sunday bloody Sunday,Bullet the Bleu sky, Running to stand still, Pride, Where the streets, One/Unchained Melody,

(Encore) Zoo Station, The Fly, With or without you, Vertigo(Reprise),

(Encore 2) Yahweh, 40.

Well my day started with a 7:15am call from my mate saying Peter I’m on the train.  We both were standing outside the Croke Park gate at 8:30 with our big Breakfast roll with everything on it. The Gates opened at 4pm and we ran to get into the stage enclosure and then got our arm stamp so we freely move around and get our beer and food throughout the day…The first two nights the set list were very similar which we both hoped they would add some other songs really wanted to hear Gloria again live

Intro/Wake up: The band walks on stage to the closing note of Arcade Fire song “Wake Up”.  Edge strums his guitar Bono ask for a bit of “Artane boys band” as Larrys starts drumming the beginning of Vertigo Bono then intrtroducess Adam add a “bit of Posh into the preceding and the “Alright Edge” and

1. Vertigo : “Hello Hello” the crowd really start getting going as Bono counts in Vertigo ás Gaeglic style.  The Crowd started singing and hopping up and down singing Vertigo note by note. During the lyric Bono sings” All this, All this could be yours… Just give me Croke Park” too screams from the crowd.

2. All because of you: As soon as I heard the opening notes of this song I knew tonights show was going to be extra special. The last two nights this song was played as part of the first encores. To me this song has a real “The Who” sound to it.

3. Gloria : Larry starts beating the drum my mate and myself went YEAH!!! The drum beats of GLORIA I haven’t heard this live since the Point Depot 1989. After all these years it still sounds great. Half way through it Bono introduces “The Base man” and The Edge brings me back to “Under a blood red sky” album oh what a classic. Only three songs in and my voice is almost gone. My weekend of U2in Croker was made by that song how could it get any better…Keep on reading J

4. Elevation: starts up with a slowed down intro when Bono starts to sing” Guess who just got back today the wide eyes boys that’s being away. haven’t change that much to sing.. The Boys are back in town. Slowly Elevation builds up to with Bono claiming “a sexy place this Croke Park

5. An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart : If you thought Gloria made my night this was an even bigger thrill. I have never been at a gig were they played this live. This songs hasn’t been played since the Unforgettable fire tour in 1984. The Drum beat and the bass were vibrating through my rib cage for this. Again for such an old classic it was played note perfect some people have claimed that Bono voice is not as good as it use to be but hey it didn’t sound too bad from where I was standing.  As the song changes from An Cat dubh and blends into Into the heart Bono walk to the side of the ramp and sits on the edge putting his thumb in his mouth like a shy child and then brings a young girl of about 11up out of the audience He deicates the song to the Crumlin street hospital. At the end of the song Bono puts the young girls Cowboy hat on his and then struggles to get it off during the beginning of Beautiful day

6. Beautiful Day: As Bono struggles to get the hat off the crowd is cheering and the band plays on and Bono misses his queue to start singing. Six songs in and still the crowd is hopping. And you can see from the faces of the band that they are enjoying themselves.

7. I still haven’t found… : This is one of my least favourite U2 song but yet it still lifts me when I hear it at a gig. Bono claims he doesn’t know what more he could ask for and that only for the fans they are were they are. The crowd again are singing in harmony with Bono it really brings the crowd as one. After the band has finished playing the crowd keeps clapping and singing for ages after not giving Bono a chance to speak.

8. Original of the species: This is another song that they haven’t played the other two nights. Its off the last album and it’s a lovely song. Bono comes right out to the small stage were we were. He asks the crowd to give them a chance that they only played this song a couple of times before.

9 Bad: Another of my all time favourites song. Hearing this for the first time back in 1985 on a bootleg of the Croke Park really got me into the band. They played “Walk on the Wildside, Sympathy for the Devil, and Ruby Tuesday” back then.  Over the years they have cut down this song time wise but they always seem to play the full version in their home town. There was to be none of the above songs added in but a rendition of Dirty Oul town instead.

10 City of Blinding Lights: The lights started fading and the U2 spectacular light show began to take effect here. The flickering light on the back drop gave the impression you were in New York City with all there flicking advertisements

11/12 Miracle Drug/Sometimes you can’t make it on your own : Bono dedicates Miracle Drug to a student from Mount Temple who couldn’t move but only his neck. Christopher went on to produce a book of poems and he was also in the audience. Sometimes Bono wrote and dedicates this song to his father. On the screen in the back is animation of a man walking. The lyric of this song are very personal and emotional. The line that I think is a strong lyric in this is “A house doesn’t make a home…. Don’t leave me here alone” as the song closes Bono sings the “Black Hill of Dakota”

13 Love and Peace or Else: This is my favourite song of the last album. It starts of with a distorted guitar and then Adam’s heavy bass line and Larry playing a snare drum halfway down the ramp way with Bono strutting and pulling Elvis shapes. This is a song were both Larry and Adams rhythm section combination really stands out. Half way through it the song almost comes to a stand still Larry walks back to the drum kit. Bono starts banging away on the snare drum and looks like a mad man.

14/15 Sunday Bloody Sunday/ Bullet the Blue sky: Two of the regulars songs Larrys familiar drum beat intro. This song use to sung for the troubles in the North. Bono recalls the first Bloody Sunday that happened in Croke Park. He calls for people to co-exist around the world. At the end of SBS they go straight into Bullet the blue sky. This another of my favourite songs live but this time I was disappointed that they didn’t do anything special with it. At the end Bono sings the lyric to “the hands that built America, Please, and Johnny comes marching home again”

16 Running to Stand still: This is another song that hasn’t been played in years since 1993.  Instead of singing “I see seven tower” referring to Ballymum he stumbles and jokes and sing “I see seven towers no six towers” At the end he sing Happy Birthday to Au Jung sing and the chorus of “Walk on”

17/18 Pride and Streets: Two songs that really keep the crowd going but they are not my favourites songs. In fact I think they could be dropped from the set. But saying that he crowd loves these songs

19/20 One/Unchained melody: At the start of this song Bono give a long speech on his campaign against poverty. Yeah I admit I don’t knock Bono for doing all the good work he is trying to achieve. But the only thing that I get fed up with his this speech. The reason been, that all through the eighties Bono use to preach but he would do anytime during any song spontaneous not like now its all planned and that all that disappoints me. During Unchained Melody both Bono and Edge make a hiccup while singing this.

21/22 Zoo Station/The Fly: This was another highlight for me. Zoo station hasn’t been played since ZOOTV tour in 1993. Before the songs start The screens light up with some graphic of a slot machine and the faces of Tony Blair come up to be booed. Zoo station is starts and U2 do a mini Zootv set which was fantastic. Edge walks down one ramp and Bono again pulling shapes walks down the other into the crowd. The Fly starts up and rocks I really got to like this song again on the last tour

23 With or Without you: What can I say one of the all time U2 classics. Lights go down. The light show was just a light shining on a giant glitter ball. The slow clapping of the crowd keeping in beat with the drumming of Larry. This is an extra long version of the song cause Bono is busy dancing with some girl from the crowd.

24 Vertigo: For the second time tonight they played Vertigo. The second time they play it seems more heavier than earlier in the show. The crowd were still up for more singing dancing and hopping up and down. This time Bono claims “All this could be yours and you don’t have to evEn play the f***** GAA”. Vertigo slowlys dies and the builds up again Bono sings “There a place I go its not far away.. Theres a TV show that I can grow.. sometimes the feeling takes me sometime I can’t let go HELLO HELLO” and when you think he is going to sing more of Stories for boys he dives right back into Vertigo YAYYYYY””””

Tonight was definitely the best night of the three nights in Croker and here is the last song..

On the Screen “The End Flashes up and as the crowd is singing “How Long” to everyones surprise U2 walk back on stage to the cheers and delights.

Bono thanks the neighbours and the Gardi for giving them “an extra 30 minutes cause of the traffic delays and late start of the show”

25 Yahweh: Can’t say anything about this songs except that the all came to the front of the main stage to play it.

26 “40”: U2 finish up there weekend stay at Croker with the only song that they could finish on 40 This is another song that U2 have re-added into their set and about time too. This is a great song to finish any show off. Edge and Adam change places and guitars. Adam finishes playing first and walks of stage. Bono steps up to the crowd and sings and screams “HOW LONG TO SING THIS SONG” for the crowd to respond louder “HOW LONG TO SING THIS SONG” and the Bono waves and walks off leaving only Edge and Larry, then Edge keeps playing the bass stops waves to the crowd and is gone. Larry keeps a melodic drum beat going stops the Crowd sings on and then he restarts up his furious drum beat and one more smash of the symbols stands up and waves and the show is over. The crowd cheers and the restarts the How Long to sing this song Chant”

What night, What a show, What weekend, What a review sorry its so long

That’s all folks

Peter

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2006 at 19:22

Ah Pete, that's just fantastic. I'd my young fella there that night and he ws blown away by the whole thing. I envy ya being in the pit, though maybe these old bones wouldn't cope with all the manic goings on. For that I'll have to rely on memories of which there are many.

All references to you know who to cease fortwith !

Rolo.

86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2006 at 03:37

Being in the Pit was grand there wasn't any pushing and shoving. I was on the outside now I wasn't in the middle of the pit. I tried to put up a Photo but in here it wouldn't let me....

I was listening to the bootleg of this while I was typing it up and I was reliving every moment of it.

I might have to review U2 in Slane, Popmart Zootv, Point and Croker 87 or have you all had enough of me and U2

Edited by Black Russian

xgrovehead View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2006 at 08:40
Originally posted by Rolo Rolo wrote:

All references to you know who to cease fortwith !

Rolo.

Pete - thats a fantastic post and review, made it all seem so real.

btw now we all know how to get Rolo off our case if we mention CDB.

We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors, we have only borrowed it from our children.
-Ancient Proverb.
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2006 at 11:32

Sorry X,

Only works the once. You'll need to come up with something different to make me forget about A-Ha.

And also btw....................anyone for Robbie next week ?

Rolo.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 32>