The Grove Social Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Interesting Links?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 65>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2006 at 01:33
Originally posted by Hayseed Dixie Hayseed Dixie wrote:

Music site which I use a lot while online. Not sure if anyone has posted it before. It's really good..like a personal online radio station that you can configure..AND it plays at CD quality if you have broadband..

I've used other similar ones like Musicmatch and suchlike..but this seems to be the best by a mile...

and best of all..is totally for free....for now anyway

www.pandora.com

Sponsored Links

tony99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2006 at 01:34

Nice one Hayseed. ANd you can even set up you favourite radio stations....Tony

http://www.pandora.com/people/TONYWELDON

tmarie View Drop Down
82-86

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmarie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2006 at 16:23
Yeah Hayseed - fair play. I'm listening to it now but it's tricky when setting up stations - I'm having to say I don't like certain songs (that I do like) by a favourite artist cos the suggestions it comes up with are like that song rather than the artist - sorry if this is hangover talk :} Anyway I'm having great fun with it - thanks
Cheers

Marie
IanL View Drop Down
81-84

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2006 at 19:30
I stumbled upon the website of Ross Halfin
(veteran rock photographer from UK).
His site has a gallery link with a great
portfolio of shots he's taken through the
years of various bands and personalities

He has a diary/blog of sorts as well.
Interesting for anyone who shares interest
in music & photography.

Gallery here
Ian - Grover '81-'84
Exiled to Mayo since 2005
Black Russian View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2006 at 00:31

http://www.talipesireland.com/

Ok this is me being serious for once.

Not going to go into a big spill here. But basically this site is to do with Talispe Equinovarus more commonly know as Clubfoot. The site was set up my ex girlfriend. She has lovely little boy who is 2 and a half years old called Jamie. When Jamie was born he was born with a Club foot and has gone through various operations and treatment to help right his foot. His Mam Rhona set up the site for new and old parents with children of similar problems to get in contact and to give each other support and advice and to talk about there experiences.

I posted it here cause there maybe someone out there on the site who is going through this and doesn't know anyone to talk about it to. She has a website with her Storyin it and Rhona and Jamie are featured in Womans Magazine this week 3rd October 2006

Peter

"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th
Hayseed Dixie View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
’79 - ’84 (approx)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayseed Dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2006 at 13:43

Just a musical link...cos I thought it was so bloody good...Yeaaah..Rock and Roll Circus...imagine this for a supergroup..John Lennon, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton and Mitch Mitchell...doing the Beatles Yer Blues..!!!!

Click Here

Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. - (Henri Cartier-Bresson)
Esthalon View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
86 - 90

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esthalon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2006 at 14:24

For some light entertainment

http://www.oddtodd.com/

Check out the cartoons under Watch/Play.....be warned if you're on dial up....they're big....but worth it. IMHO.

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for Breakfast!
RoundaboutToo! View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
’75-’79 and ’06 - present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoundaboutToo! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2006 at 23:37
Originally posted by Hayseed Dixie Hayseed Dixie wrote:

Just a musical link...cos I thought it was so bloody good...Yeaaah..Rock and Roll Circus...imagine this for a supergroup..John Lennon, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton and Mitch Mitchell...doing the Beatles Yer Blues..!!!!

Click Here

Thanks HD - great link - amazing guitar work!
And for the link to Pandora.com, (excellent)
CP
RoundaboutToo! View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
’75-’79 and ’06 - present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoundaboutToo! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2006 at 00:32

De Burgh 'able to perform miracles'
09/10/2006 - 13:15:37

Singer/songwriter Chris De Burgh claims he is able to heal sick people by touching them with his hands.

The Lady in Red star stunned TV presenter Glloria Hunniford when he revealed his amazing ability on British show Heaven and Earth yesterday.

"I have found myself able to cure people with my hands," he said. "I met someone in the West Indies who was not able to walk. I put my hands on him and he was able to get up... I try to play it down."

(
http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/10/09/story280214.html)

- the guy must've recognised cdb and legged it! - CP

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2006 at 11:08

Pity he couldn't cure himself.

Just imagine, if he massaged his own throat, real hard, I mean real, real hard. So hard in fact that he was unable to sing any  more.Evil Smile

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2006 at 12:52
Harsh words Rolo - ah ya know what they say - you always hurt the one you love!!!!
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
Esthalon View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
86 - 90

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esthalon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2006 at 13:26

I assume you all know about Phantom FM Radio station broadcasting on the internet.....If not check it out (Broadcasts from Dublin)

http://www.phantomfm.com/

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for Breakfast!
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2006 at 14:02
Originally posted by Rolo Rolo wrote:

Pity he couldn't cure himself.

Just imagine, if he massaged his own throat, real hard, I mean real, real hard. So hard in fact that he was unable to sing any  more.Evil Smile

Ah Rolo that is just pricless best laugh I've had all day

Blondie
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it !
’79 - ’84 (approx)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayseed Dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2006 at 14:58
Originally posted by Esthalon Esthalon wrote:

I assume you all know about Phantom FM Radio station broadcasting on the internet.....If not check it out (Broadcasts from Dublin)

http://www.phantomfm.com/

They are gonna be back on the airwaves (the radio ones that is) very shortly..they were granted a licence ages ago but it has been the subject of an injunction..disgracefully so..
 The best..well..only alternative music station in the country...
Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. - (Henri Cartier-Bresson)
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2006 at 15:01
PhantomFM back on the airwaves Oct 31 I think... I think the Edge is backing it in someway or was The Edge involved in another Radio station ???

P

’79 - ’84 (approx)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayseed Dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2006 at 15:09

Well I know Geldof was involved in the other station...so maybe the edge is too..don't think any "celebs" are involved in Phantom...just lovers of music like ourselves...

Was basically a case of the big money guys not getting their own way...those guys in Phantom have been working their asses off bringing decent music to the Irish airwaves for the last number of years when it was...and still is..virtually impossible to find any station here that doesn't just play the usual chart based music...especially during the day....can't wait to get them back on my car radio again...
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2006 at 15:20

They use to do a great show on Sunday afternoon. They would go through all the old Radio stations and relive some of the history and. They covered the likes of ARD, Radio Dublin, Sunshine 101, Nova, Q102 tthe 80s one, KissFM... Those were the days

A friend of a friend use to do delieveries and had to bring stuff over to RTE and the security guard won't let him in to RTE cause he had a Sunshine 101 windvisor. told him he let him in if he takes it down. He didn't it down and turn around to the Depot. RTE rang the depot looking for the equipment and why wasn't it delievered and they told them the story. Even my froends friend wouldn't take the sticker down.
Anyway cut a long story short person who wanted the stuff delievered got on to RTE security and told him to let them through and he still said no until his neck was put on the line for the stuff not been delievered... Bloody security men

P

P

’79 - ’84 (approx)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayseed Dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2006 at 15:30

Yep...I've heard that show a few times...was interesting okay..

Have to say.. I hate stations like 2FM and Q102 and 98FM with their Flatpack DJ's ..they all sound the same and play the same music...tho RTE 1 to their credit do provide some interesting and different shows...
IanL View Drop Down
81-84

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2006 at 15:39
Originally posted by Black Russian Black Russian wrote:

PhantomFM back on the airwaves Oct 31 I think... I think the Edge is backing it in someway or was The Edge involved in another Radio station ???P

The Edge was involved in the application/submission
of "Storm FM" for the Dublin youth market approx
6 yrs ago. The backers for that included John
Reynolds (POD,etc) and Louis Walsh.
I think they lost out to SpinFM.

According to the latest press releases about
Phantom's return to the airwaves

"Phantom is backed by U2 manager Paul McGuinness's Principle Management and promoter Denis Desmond's Gaiety Investments, among others."

big commercial backers but hopefully boyband free zone
Ian - Grover '81-'84
Exiled to Mayo since 2005
’79 - ’84 (approx)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayseed Dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2006 at 15:43

Well I think if they try and change the basic philosophy of the station then it wont be long going down the tube Ian...

I think the guys that run it on a day to day basis would be strong enough to resist any drastic changes anyway....

The day they start playing Westlife that's the day I turn it off....

Edited by Hayseed Dixie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 65>