Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Cecil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP Cecil
    Posted: 16-November-2020 at 11:04
I wrote this little ode to you Cecil because you meant the world to me and I tried to do you justice in a few verses. I will miss you so much but in every song I play in the future I know you will be beside me. ❤❤❤

ODE TO CECIL (RIP)

I went to the Grove for nearly four years
I still hear the music ringing in my ears
When the old Grove burnt down I could not go back
For nothing could replace that psychedelic shack

Cecil opened doors that others closed
Gave us a place to be ourselves
The freedom, the music, the fun and the dance
Gave us teenagers our first big chance

Cecil laughed and smiled, was
humble and kind
For thirty years he played the Grove
He had a huge influence on our musical directions
And this is reflected in our record collections

He was a music legend on the stage
Playing vinyl that was all the rage
From rock to pop, goth and punk
He never played any junk

Now the "Music Man" has passed on
To that great gig in the sky he is gone
It's hard not to break down and cry
At the thought of having to say goodbye

I look on the Grove as a family tree
So many friends made that are dear to me
Thank you Cecil for being the best
Your turntable is silent now, it's time to rest.
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Sponsored Links

Sister1 View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
88-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2020 at 11:44
Lovely Pat. So sorry to hear the news, the grove family is in mourning today for sure. For me Cecil was a huge influence at a key time. He continues to be an educator and also in my case a mentor for playlists and also a father figure of sorts. Will be sorely missed.RIP x
Keep it Local, Keep it Near!
Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2020 at 12:14
Well said Brian. See the "Dear Frankie" thread also.
One of its legs is both the same
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
87-92 (I think)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2020 at 12:34
RIP Cecil Cry

Cecil Nolan RIP
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2020 at 12:38
Hi folks,

We all knew it was coming, sadly, but it's still very hard to take. Cry

Hard to know what to say really and I'm not particularly good with the 'verse'/poetry as such.

Back in 2006, I never thought I would ever be returning to the The Grove when I originally left in the 1980s but (like all of you) I never forgot the Grove.   My (I like to think, excellent) music collection and 7" singles obsession is all down to Cecil.  He even inspired me to make my own imitation 'wooden' boxes back in the early 80s and again in 2006, made of converted photocopier-paper boxes stuck together and covered with "wood effect" contact paper, courtesy of the Gerry Keane wallpaper shop on Talbot street.

By chance, a co-worker (Ciaran - Roundy) told me about this website in 2006 (the year of my first reunion and also the year the documentary aired) and then (by chance) I bumped into Cecil beside Austin's news stand on O' Connell street.  This was it - the Grove was back!

Since 2006, I have made so many new friends on here and also at the reunions and also been re-acquainted with others that I had not seen in over 20 years (or more).  There's been many reunions in the Sheiling hotel, the "Good bits" beside Busarus, the Button factory in Temple Bar, Clontarf Castle, St. Pauls of course (for 50th) and the Abbey Tavern for the last few years.  There is now a Grove radio show and countless Grove drinkies nights organised.

This is all because of the Grove and Cecil (and of course, great praise is due to Killian for the website and Andy for getting the Grove going again and of course Brian, Jen, Lynne, Sean and Peter for the radio show).

As the years have passed, I have gotten to know Cecil more and definitely more than I ever did back in my old days at the grove, so much so, that (like all of you) I consider him a great friend.  Although the reunions were great, I especially enjoyed his company at the drinkies we organised (often in HBs) as you could actually have conversation with him away from the blaring music of the reunions.

I especially loved our weekly chats on the "Tuesday dart" (when I headed to my folks for lunch) and we had many a laugh talking about Cecil's stories and anecdotes about the grove.  Although he didn't do social media himself, I know that the lads in "Fowlers" (ex grovers) used to show him posts off FB and often he would ask me to post some grove trivia question or perhaps something to correct a previous post from someone who (mistakenly claimed) that he played a certain 'dodgy' song or maybe just spun 'fabricated' stories (trolls).

Like everyone, I'm going to miss him something terrible.  I'm going to spin a few of his (and my) favorite records later and have a few beers to toast his memory.  Starting with my own 7" copy of "Stairway to Heaven", which he was kind enough to autograph for me some years back.  Seems appropriate.

Rest in peace Cecil Nolan, 'Music Man' and my friend,

Mel. 

TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Sister1 View Drop Down
88-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2020 at 12:51
Wonderful post Mel. x
Keep it Local, Keep it Near!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2020 at 12:55
Lovely words Mel, I couldn't say it better.

As you all know, I came very late to this continuing Grove world. I only discovered this website in 2018, and then everything followed from that. I never knew Cecil well like you guys but he was extremely kind and warm-hearted to me the few times I did meet him - in HBs and out in Howth - since I got involved here. He personally organised the Grove-documentary DVD and also the CD of the film 32A for me. With help from yourself I think Mel (?) and probably others ... Else I'd never have got them I reckon.

Anyway, there's nothing more I can add to what's been said. There'll be a bottle of white wine opened and drank by me this evening and I'll play some tunes and think of Cecil, the Grove, and all us on here...

Until later. We send Cecil back to the beginning, with love
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2020 at 13:18
What wonderful posts above ❤❤❤.

I never knew anybody on this website when it started.

Since 2005 I have become friends with you all here and many more who used to be here but are now on FB.

And that's ok because whatever social medium keeps the Grove community ticking is a tribute to Cecil who started the whole scene in the first place.

I treasure every day I can come on here and see what's new.

Although I am very happy here you guys keep me connected to Dublin.

That's why I always say the Grove was not just about music but a gelling together of long lasting friendships just as we have here.

It's unique in the world that a humble man like Cecil could start a cross generational disco that over 30 years would bring us to this point of friendship.

Cecil, I treasure what you have created and the wonderful friends I have made on here.

RIP Cecil. ❤❤❤

Edited by Biker Pat - 16-November-2020 at 14:12

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2020 at 13:21
Lovely words Pat, and I echo every one of them ...
ShortHairHippie View Drop Down
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2020 at 14:06
a sad day for our Grove family...r.i.p. Cecil your legacy will live on.
upon us all,a little rain must fall
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2020 at 14:18
You know what I would love.

For us all here and am sure many others to be able to gather in a pub (Sean's the man to book one) and just drink, chat, cry, laugh, tell tales whilst perhaps having Grove music in the background.

If only the coronavirus was not around. I would dig deep into my pockets to fly back for that.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2020 at 14:25
I'd say we're all of exactly the same mind Pat - well, when some kind of "normality" returns I guess that's exactly what we'll do - and not just the once!

Not at all the same thing I know, but those of us who take a drink, will no doubt be downing something cool and strong at different stages this evening - and reflecting on our years at the Grove, the great gifts that Cecil left us, and the many enduring friendships that we have formed with one another down through the years and right up to the present day. So - CHEERS my friends - to Cecil...❤️
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2020 at 15:15
Two bungalows down from me is an Italian lady called Vanessa.

She owns a lovely Italian restaurant close to us.

Well after I heard the sad news I said to Marjie I need a bit of sustenance tonight, as in some red wine.

So keys in hand and heading to the car to go down to our favourite off licence Vanessa was outside on her patio.

So I ventured to ask if she had of her red wine in her house and explained my need and sadness.

No she said but on her motorbike she popped and within 15 minutes two bottles of Italian red wine were planted on my table.

A wonderful woman, great craic and the food in her restaurant is absolutely divine and so reasonable.

So as I write this I salute you all and raise a glass to Cecil. 🍷🍷🍷🍷

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2020 at 15:49
Cheers Pat Beer
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2020 at 15:56
Same Joey 🍷🍷🍷

Hope all good with you.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2020 at 16:09
Cheers Pat 🍷🍷🍷
ShortHairHippie View Drop Down
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2020 at 16:10
Pat,last year I booked the upstairs in the Beachcomber pub for the Grove radio show birthday party,it turned out to be a great night,with the room to ourselves and Grove tunes playing as background music...we were hoping to do it again this year till covid ruined our plans,but hopefully we can do it again next year,and make it an annual event... long live the Grove.
upon us all,a little rain must fall
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2020 at 16:12
To Cecil (raises glass) - I'm supposed to be working but cannot concentrate.  I was saying to the FB crew on Friday that, when this bloody virus is gone, first thing (of many) that I am going to do is sort a venue for some drinkies for all of us, to celebrate Cecil and share our memories, cry on each other's shoulders etc. 

I was gonna say Harry Byrnes as that's generally where we'd always meet up (with Cecil) but I'm open to alternate venues if that doesn't suit everyone.  Be a while, anyway, sadly......
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2020 at 16:16
Well lads, it will probably take more than one meet-up anyway! I will be at them all !!!
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2020 at 16:19
Sean.

I may not be able to attend that every year but I am going to someday.

It's a fabulous idea and takes on more significance with Cecil's passing and the possible end of Grove reunions.

Always keep me informed of any such meet ups

Unfortunately it's expensive to fly from here to Ireland but let's see.

And you produced some good news amongst all the gloom in announcing your new relationship. ❤❤❤

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>