Print Page | Close Window

RIP Cecil

Printed From: The Grove Social Club
Category: Non Grove Related Stuff
Forum Name: Off Topic Forum
Forum Description: Discuss Anything off topic here - upcoming events etc.
URL: http://www.theGroveSocialClub.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1205
Printed Date: 09-May-2024 at 22:56
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: RIP Cecil
Posted By: Biker Pat
Subject: RIP Cecil
Date Posted: 16-November-2020 at 11:04
I wrote this little ode to you Cecil because you meant the world to me and I tried to do you justice in a few verses. I will miss you so much but in every song I play in the future I know you will be beside me. ❤❤❤

ODE TO CECIL (RIP)

I went to the Grove for nearly four years
I still hear the music ringing in my ears
When the old Grove burnt down I could not go back
For nothing could replace that psychedelic shack

Cecil opened doors that others closed
Gave us a place to be ourselves
The freedom, the music, the fun and the dance
Gave us teenagers our first big chance

Cecil laughed and smiled, was
humble and kind
For thirty years he played the Grove
He had a huge influence on our musical directions
And this is reflected in our record collections

He was a music legend on the stage
Playing vinyl that was all the rage
From rock to pop, goth and punk
He never played any junk

Now the "Music Man" has passed on
To that great gig in the sky he is gone
It's hard not to break down and cry
At the thought of having to say goodbye

I look on the Grove as a family tree
So many friends made that are dear to me
Thank you Cecil for being the best
Your turntable is silent now, it's time to rest.

-------------
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Replies:
Posted By: Sister1
Date Posted: 16-November-2020 at 11:44
Lovely Pat. So sorry to hear the news, the grove family is in mourning today for sure. For me Cecil was a huge influence at a key time. He continues to be an educator and also in my case a mentor for playlists and also a father figure of sorts. Will be sorely missed.RIP x

-------------
Keep it Local, Keep it Near!

Posted By: Rahenyrhythm
Date Posted: 16-November-2020 at 12:14
Well said Brian. See the "Dear Frankie" thread also.

-------------
One of its legs is both the same

Posted By: kbannon
Date Posted: 16-November-2020 at 12:34
RIP Cecil Cry

Cecil Nolan RIP

-------------

Posted By: Vinyl Junkie
Date Posted: 16-November-2020 at 12:38
Hi folks,

We all knew it was coming, sadly, but it's still very hard to take. Cry

Hard to know what to say really and I'm not particularly good with the 'verse'/poetry as such.

Back in 2006, I never thought I would ever be returning to the The Grove when I originally left in the 1980s but (like all of you) I never forgot the Grove.   My (I like to think, excellent) music collection and 7" singles obsession is all down to Cecil.  He even inspired me to make my own imitation 'wooden' boxes back in the early 80s and again in 2006, made of converted photocopier-paper boxes stuck together and covered with "wood effect" contact paper, courtesy of the Gerry Keane wallpaper shop on Talbot street.

By chance, a co-worker (Ciaran - Roundy) told me about this website in 2006 (the year of my first reunion and also the year the documentary aired) and then (by chance) I bumped into Cecil beside Austin's news stand on O' Connell street.  This was it - the Grove was back!

Since 2006, I have made so many new friends on here and also at the reunions and also been re-acquainted with others that I had not seen in over 20 years (or more).  There's been many reunions in the Sheiling hotel, the "Good bits" beside Busarus, the Button factory in Temple Bar, Clontarf Castle, St. Pauls of course (for 50th) and the Abbey Tavern for the last few years.  There is now a Grove radio show and countless Grove drinkies nights organised.

This is all because of the Grove and Cecil (and of course, great praise is due to Killian for the website and Andy for getting the Grove going again and of course Brian, Jen, Lynne, Sean and Peter for the radio show).

As the years have passed, I have gotten to know Cecil more and definitely more than I ever did back in my old days at the grove, so much so, that (like all of you) I consider him a great friend.  Although the reunions were great, I especially enjoyed his company at the drinkies we organised (often in HBs) as you could actually have conversation with him away from the blaring music of the reunions.

I especially loved our weekly chats on the "Tuesday dart" (when I headed to my folks for lunch) and we had many a laugh talking about Cecil's stories and anecdotes about the grove.  Although he didn't do social media himself, I know that the lads in "Fowlers" (ex grovers) used to show him posts off FB and often he would ask me to post some grove trivia question or perhaps something to correct a previous post from someone who (mistakenly claimed) that he played a certain 'dodgy' song or maybe just spun 'fabricated' stories (trolls).

Like everyone, I'm going to miss him something terrible.  I'm going to spin a few of his (and my) favorite records later and have a few beers to toast his memory.  Starting with my own 7" copy of "Stairway to Heaven", which he was kind enough to autograph for me some years back.  Seems appropriate.

Rest in peace Cecil Nolan, 'Music Man' and my friend,

Mel. 

-------------
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).

Date Posted: 16-November-2020 at 12:51
Wonderful post Mel. x

-------------

Date Posted: 16-November-2020 at 12:55
Lovely words Mel, I couldn't say it better.

As you all know, I came very late to this continuing Grove world. I only discovered this website in 2018, and then everything followed from that. I never knew Cecil well like you guys but he was extremely kind and warm-hearted to me the few times I did meet him - in HBs and out in Howth - since I got involved here. He personally organised the Grove-documentary DVD and also the CD of the film 32A for me. With help from yourself I think Mel (?) and probably others ... Else I'd never have got them I reckon.

Anyway, there's nothing more I can add to what's been said. There'll be a bottle of white wine opened and drank by me this evening and I'll play some tunes and think of Cecil, the Grove, and all us on here...

Until later. We send Cecil back to the beginning, with love

-------------

Date Posted: 16-November-2020 at 13:18
What wonderful posts above ❤❤❤.

I never knew anybody on this website when it started.

Since 2005 I have become friends with you all here and many more who used to be here but are now on FB.

And that's ok because whatever social medium keeps the Grove community ticking is a tribute to Cecil who started the whole scene in the first place.

I treasure every day I can come on here and see what's new.

Although I am very happy here you guys keep me connected to Dublin.

That's why I always say the Grove was not just about music but a gelling together of long lasting friendships just as we have here.

It's unique in the world that a humble man like Cecil could start a cross generational disco that over 30 years would bring us to this point of friendship.

Cecil, I treasure what you have created and the wonderful friends I have made on here.

RIP Cecil. ❤❤❤

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 16-November-2020 at 13:21
Lovely words Pat, and I echo every one of them ...

-------------

Posted By: ShortHairHippie
Date Posted: 16-November-2020 at 14:06
a sad day for our Grove family...r.i.p. Cecil your legacy will live on.

-------------
upon us all,a little rain must fall

Date Posted: 16-November-2020 at 14:18
You know what I would love.

For us all here and am sure many others to be able to gather in a pub (Sean's the man to book one) and just drink, chat, cry, laugh, tell tales whilst perhaps having Grove music in the background.

If only the coronavirus was not around. I would dig deep into my pockets to fly back for that.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 16-November-2020 at 14:25
I'd say we're all of exactly the same mind Pat - well, when some kind of "normality" returns I guess that's exactly what we'll do - and not just the once!

Not at all the same thing I know, but those of us who take a drink, will no doubt be downing something cool and strong at different stages this evening - and reflecting on our years at the Grove, the great gifts that Cecil left us, and the many enduring friendships that we have formed with one another down through the years and right up to the present day. So - CHEERS my friends - to Cecil...❤️

-------------

Date Posted: 16-November-2020 at 15:15
Two bungalows down from me is an Italian lady called Vanessa.

She owns a lovely Italian restaurant close to us.

Well after I heard the sad news I said to Marjie I need a bit of sustenance tonight, as in some red wine.

So keys in hand and heading to the car to go down to our favourite off licence Vanessa was outside on her patio.

So I ventured to ask if she had of her red wine in her house and explained my need and sadness.

No she said but on her motorbike she popped and within 15 minutes two bottles of Italian red wine were planted on my table.

A wonderful woman, great craic and the food in her restaurant is absolutely divine and so reasonable.

So as I write this I salute you all and raise a glass to Cecil. 🍷🍷🍷🍷

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Posted By: joey the lips
Date Posted: 16-November-2020 at 15:49
Cheers Pat Beer

-------------
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave

Date Posted: 16-November-2020 at 15:56
Same Joey 🍷🍷🍷

Hope all good with you.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 16-November-2020 at 16:09
Cheers Pat 🍷🍷🍷

-------------

Date Posted: 16-November-2020 at 16:10
Pat,last year I booked the upstairs in the Beachcomber pub for the Grove radio show birthday party,it turned out to be a great night,with the room to ourselves and Grove tunes playing as background music...we were hoping to do it again this year till covid ruined our plans,but hopefully we can do it again next year,and make it an annual event... long live the Grove.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-November-2020 at 16:12
To Cecil (raises glass) - I'm supposed to be working but cannot concentrate.  I was saying to the FB crew on Friday that, when this bloody virus is gone, first thing (of many) that I am going to do is sort a venue for some drinkies for all of us, to celebrate Cecil and share our memories, cry on each other's shoulders etc. 

I was gonna say Harry Byrnes as that's generally where we'd always meet up (with Cecil) but I'm open to alternate venues if that doesn't suit everyone.  Be a while, anyway, sadly......

-------------

Date Posted: 16-November-2020 at 16:16
Well lads, it will probably take more than one meet-up anyway! I will be at them all !!!

-------------

Date Posted: 16-November-2020 at 16:19
Sean.

I may not be able to attend that every year but I am going to someday.

It's a fabulous idea and takes on more significance with Cecil's passing and the possible end of Grove reunions.

Always keep me informed of any such meet ups

Unfortunately it's expensive to fly from here to Ireland but let's see.

And you produced some good news amongst all the gloom in announcing your new relationship. ❤❤❤

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 16-November-2020 at 16:20
Yeah Sean, a bright spot! Nice one, hope to meet up with her (and you of course!) down the line

-------------

Date Posted: 16-November-2020 at 16:45
Pat,the good thing about the radio show party is that it can be booked months in advance,so gives people plenty of time to arrange stuff...I'll have a chat with the radio crew for their input,and hopefully 2021 will be a runner...and Gerry,hopefully in the near future

-------------

Date Posted: 16-November-2020 at 17:18
Sean

-------------

Posted By: Pogue Mahoney
Date Posted: 16-November-2020 at 18:24
Stuck for words at the moment---to Cecil 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ59spYH9mk" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ59spYH9mk

Date Posted: 16-November-2020 at 18:57
Awesome choice. Heart

-------------

Date Posted: 16-November-2020 at 19:07
Beautiful Pogue, perfect choice of song. Just sitting here now sipping some wine, going back - way back - over things ...

-------------

Date Posted: 16-November-2020 at 21:12
I'm all over the place tonight (not drink wise though partly that) playing Zeppelin, then Nirvana, then the Motors and on "Avalon" by Roxy Music now.  No idea what to pop on next.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-November-2020 at 00:26
Lol Mel, only catching up now. Well if it's any consolation, I've had Starcrawler, EMF, Yes, Free, dunno what else on. Plus couple episodes of House of Cards on Netflix. Plus my bottle of wine. So I suppose things could be worse..actually by myself here tonight - well, with the dog. Annette over with Bex cos she (Bex) in hospital next day or so for various tests. Not life-threatening stuff or anything, but always a worry ... So, like yourself, not settling to anything. Anyway, wrecked now so hitting the sack very soon ... we'll see where we all are tomorrow ... Night lads...

-------------

Date Posted: 17-November-2020 at 00:44
Pogue,

Lovely choice of song. 👏👏❤❤

Pat

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 17-November-2020 at 17:53
I went to the funeral home in Portmarnock this afternoon where Cecil is reposing. Got to meet his sons and some of the rest of the family and a few other Grovers. They are all a lovely bunch. The all said the Grove was very special to Cecil and he loved us all for being part of it. Nice words despite a difficult time for them.

-------------

Posted By: Taylor
Date Posted: 17-November-2020 at 18:29
Counting the minutes, the hours & the days ...
To Saturday nights at the Grove ...
DJ Cecil up on The Stage ...

R.I.P. DJ Cecil - Go dté tú slán i gconaí!

-------------
The Universe is a void full of infinite possibilities

Date Posted: 17-November-2020 at 19:03
Nice reflection, and nice words there Taylor

And Brian, fair play for calling over to Portmarnock. This one of the few times being so far from Dublin, in lockdown, is a real drag. But cant be helped. Cecil's family seem to be really sound, and very keen that the Grove 'family' are not left out of this major and very sad occasion. A big credit to Cecil also...

-------------

Date Posted: 17-November-2020 at 22:46
Lovely and sincere sentiments lads!  I think Cecil’s family is rightfully proud of the man. The forums and radio show might fall by the wayside but The Grove will remain a part of Dublin history long after we are gone. I can’t think of one other person in today’s society who cemented his name in the minds of so many by simply sharing what he loved and never seeking to make a penny from it.

Date Posted: 17-November-2020 at 22:55
On a happier note – I'm not sure if Cecil believed in God or Jesus but know he liked this JC and is most likely swopping records with him right now. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxNIel9otsY" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxNIel9otsY

The applause at the end is for Cecil

Date Posted: 18-November-2020 at 02:34
Brian, Gerry, Pogue, Taylor.

Lovely sentiments expressed in your posts above.

I got a message from Rob today that says his wife Joanne is going to read out my ode at the memorial today.

Needless to say I am honoured and touched by this gesture.

It will be read with all Cecil's Grove family in mind.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 18-November-2020 at 09:39
Pat, thats brilliant. Well done. Aiming to head down to Dardistown and stand outside. Will post later on it.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-November-2020 at 10:33
Thanks Brian.

Let us know how it went.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 18-November-2020 at 12:33
Fair play to you Brian, we will lean on you to represent the rest of us who can't make it - wear your Grove T-shirt. And a great compliment to you Pat from Cecil's family, to read your poem as final words to the great man.

Date Posted: 18-November-2020 at 12:56
FYI - A Book of Condolences for Cecil is now online at:

https://rip.ie/cb.php?dn=439344" rel="nofollow - https://rip.ie/cb.php?dn=439344

-------------

Date Posted: 18-November-2020 at 13:07
Nice touch Pat ,,

-------------

Date Posted: 18-November-2020 at 13:28
Thanks folks.

I already signed the book of condolences.

Thanks Taylor for sharing the link.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 18-November-2020 at 13:48
Just back from Dardistown. Nicely done, we sang a little of Starman as he arrived and in the cremetorium the played Strawberry Fields. Rob Nolan did a fantastic eulogy and then it ended with More Than a Feeling. A good turnout and welll done all.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-November-2020 at 15:00
Thanks for that Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 18-November-2020 at 15:09
Thanks Brian-some nice articles in the papers:

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/entertainment/music/sad-day-for-dublin-music-scene-as-legendary-dj-cecil-nolan-and-founder-of-the-grove-disco-passes-away/ar-BB1b4377" rel="nofollow - http://www.msn.com/en-ie/entertainment/music/sad-day-for-dublin-music-scene-as-legendary-dj-cecil-nolan-and-founder-of-the-grove-disco-passes-away/ar-BB1b4377

and 

http://www.hotpress.com/music/dj-of-dublins-grove-social-club-cecil-nolan-dies-22833216" rel="nofollow - http://www.hotpress.com/music/dj-of-dublins-grove-social-club-cecil-nolan-dies-22833216

and

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cecil-nolan-dj-of-grove-social-club-on-dublin-s-northside-dies-1.4410915" rel="nofollow - http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cecil-nolan-dj-of-grove-social-club-on-dublin-s-northside-dies-1.4410915

Date Posted: 18-November-2020 at 15:12
Thanks Brian.

And thanks Pogue for the links.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Posted By: Rolo
Date Posted: 18-November-2020 at 15:41
Nice turnout of old friends for Cecil at Dardistown today.

Such a pity we all couldn't have gone somewhere afterwards to pass the afternoon with some music, a few beers,a chat and to share our memories.

RIP Cecil. 

Date Posted: 18-November-2020 at 16:09
we said our final farewell to Cecil today...the hearse pulled up to the sound of Grovers singing David Bowie's Starman,and as Cecil's sons brought Cecil's coffin inside,Strawberry Fields Forever by the Beatles was playing...Cecil's son Rob made a beautiful speech about his Dad, and spoke fondly of the Grove family who were of great support to the family in the past number of weeks,and thanked Andy Colbert for his friendship with Cecil,and helping bring back the magic of the Grove... Cecil's coffin then passed through the curtain to the sound of More Than A feeling by Boston playing... it was lovely to see so many Grovers from different Grove eras present...a lovely but emotional day... R.I.P. Cecil, thank you for all you gave us over the years.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-November-2020 at 16:30
Lovely posts and links above guys. Well done to all - and to Pat for his lovely poetic eulogy. Ragin I couldn't get out today but such is life...

I've posted lots of stuff in the last weeks and months about Cecil and the Grove, but the most recent thought I am having on all this - and I've been reflecting in it all especially in the last few days - is that, obviously there is a huge amount of love for Cecil and the Grove and the times we all had there. And Cecil's passing is a tragedy in itself. But also I think it's (another) connection to our teenage years gone now. A few connections have been broken for me this year - couple of old St Annes comrades-in-arms gone (JB, I'm lookin up at you amongst others), some great musicians, local and far-flung, that I had great affection for, both musically and the decent people they seemed to be, and especially thinking of Ditch here. And so Cecil is the latest - and probably the most significant in ways - in that long parade. What it all means I'm not sure, just a sign I suppose that time is moving on for us all, and there's no holding back time!

...and, not for today obviously but Pogue raises an interesting point in passing about the forums, the radio show etc. This is where the inability to physically gather is a real pain. And we need to be coming together round a table to chat, cry, sing and raise a glass to - lots of people and things. And we will, hopefully sometime next year.

Anyway above kinda random thoughts nearly, I hope they don't sound too maudlin, they are not meant to be. And the main thing I guess is, we are still here - and we keep going, and remembering those who are gone - always

-------------

Date Posted: 18-November-2020 at 19:05
Great to meet up with some grove pals off this site and elsewhere today in Dardistown.  Very sad day but also great to catch up with some of the gang away from social media.  As you guys have said, it's such a shame we couldn't all have convened in some hostelry somewhere and raised a glass and shared our memories of the Music Man.  We'd probably still be there now.    

-------------

Date Posted: 18-November-2020 at 19:09
Rolo, Sean, Gerry.

Nice posts all.

To concur with Rolo it must have been a real pity that you all couldn't gather afterwards which is an old Irish tradition. Cecil would have loved you guys to go celebrate his passing.

Echoing Gerrys point about time passing and our generation of friends and musicians gradually passing on, it certainly is a reality check.

This thought crossed my own mind when I heard Cecil was 81 which is only 14 years older than me at 67.

In relation to the Grove it would be great to try and keep Grove social media, radio shows, meet ups when possible again, one to one contacts going in order to keep the Grove spirit alive.

I know I certainly will do my best and when you're living abroad it's a great connection to great friends met through the Grove itself.

We all have shared a unique experience by just being Grovers.

Stay safe everybody and some day soon we shall gather again and celebrate as only Grovers can.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 18-November-2020 at 19:31
I skipped through Cecil's Book of Condolences this morning (thanks for the link Taylor) to see if I could pick out any old names from the past and was impressed at the pages of friends and well-wishers that Cecil touched- I think we should petition Pope Francis to canonise Cecil for the joy he spread around the world.

Got me a thinkin'...When I die my Book of Condolences will be a sticky note Smile

Date Posted: 18-November-2020 at 19:37
Lol Poguey! Don't worry, when you kick the bucket I'll do a very special eulogy for you - on the head of a pun

Just kiddin of course - hope all is good there, it's an awful shame some if us can't get together and celebrate Cecil and the Grove in the "traditional" way! Well, some day...

-------------

Date Posted: 19-November-2020 at 03:07
Cecil talked on the radio show once about going out back at Belgrove on a slow summer night  and kicking a soccer ball around. I remember those nights, being in the Grove with only about five other people, everyone and their granny doing exams or off enjoying themselves in England, France or Spain. I scored a hat trick of three bullets on Cecil one night while he wasn't looking.   ...eh ok I'm lying - the only reason they let me play was they needed my overcoat for a goalpost. 

I really do remember going out and kicking a ball around on the rare occasion.

Date Posted: 19-November-2020 at 03:31
Great posts Pogue.

Re cannoonising Cecil.

He had no time for the Catholic Church or any religion for that matter. A subject discussed in Derek's house from time to time.

So a sainthood wouldn't be to his liking.

Our respect and love is enough for him.

He was greatly touched the hundreds of best wishes he received whilst in the hospice and as you mention Pogue the condolence book echoes the outpouring of sentiment to our Cecil.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 19-November-2020 at 08:55
Interesting Pogue talks about kicking a ball around outside Belgrove with Cecil.

I remember one Summer evening we landed at the Grove a bit early, and to our utter astonishment there was Cecil and a few lads playing football. This was a scenario we'd never conceived of because, to us, Cecil was "the DJ" and in a sense he was a kind of Godlike figure - we certainly wouldn't have imagined him mixing with the mortals in that way! We couldn't have been more surprised if we saw a fish cycling down the road outside!

I suppose, despite all our pretensions to being cool, world-weary dudes, we weren't much more than children really, at that stage, and there was lots of stuff that was still capable of surprising us - and that sight was certainly one of them

-------------

Date Posted: 19-November-2020 at 10:25
I suppose under the circumstances everyone done what they could to say their goodbye to Cecil and i have to agree with Rolo that it would have been nice to get together and raise a glass to the man as is our way ,and send him on his way but i am sure it will be arranged some time in the near future what keeps playing in my head is all the sl*gging that used to be going on about , will this grove reunion be the last one  has at last played out 

-------------

Date Posted: 19-November-2020 at 11:53
Very true Joey, we certainly didn't realise last November (?) that that was going to be the last reunion ever - and that it would also be the last time most of us would see Cecil alive.

Shows you, live every day as if it's your last, cos one day ..

-------------

Date Posted: 19-November-2020 at 13:13
Cecil was mad into football and attended local matches.

He was a big Manchester United fan.

His son Rob followed in his dad's footsteps and Rob's two sons are playing for a team. Rob attends their matches.

And Joey, someday down the road we'll have that get together.

Am so glad I went back for the reunion last year because it was rumoured to be the last.

Talking with Cecil in Derek's house a few days later Cecil was determined to continue.

Gerry, we just don't know what's around the corner.

My own life has taught me that lesson. Full of ups and downs and surprises and shocks.

So am living a good life now in a region that makes me happy and suits my personality and my budget.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 19-November-2020 at 14:52
Right on Pat . The trick to living a happy and contented life is all contained in your last sentence there...

-------------

Date Posted: 19-November-2020 at 14:57
I was chatting to Derek Farrell the last couple of days and he said Cecil was actually a very good footballer himself. He says in the documentary about having a kickaround in the summer before the Grove started, really live that idea. Marion and myself bumped into Cecil about 15 months ago at a do and he chatted to us about football for nearly an hour. Marion follows Liverpool and I am an Arsenal fan so we had a good old natter. A nice memory I was only thinking of the last few days.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-November-2020 at 14:59
Cheers Brian, lovely post above

-------------

Date Posted: 19-November-2020 at 17:20
I pronounce November 16th as National Cecil Day. A perfect excuse for an annual reunion 

We can celebrate it at Gerry's house in Stradbally - with FREE drinks Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 19-November-2020 at 17:50
Count me in 😂😂

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 19-November-2020 at 21:14
Love it 😃👍🎸🙏🏻

-------------

Date Posted: 19-November-2020 at 23:36
No bother lads - once yis bring the "free drink" with yis !!!

-------------

Date Posted: 20-November-2020 at 08:52
nice one PogueLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 20-November-2020 at 10:34
<

Date Posted: 20-November-2020 at 10:41

The Grove Social Club

A Prosaic Tribute to D.J. Cecil Nolan R.I.P.

https://www.patrick-patridge.com/blog/the-grove-social-club" rel="nofollow - https://www.patrick-patridge.com/blog/the-grove-social-club

I updated and re-published this old Forum post today in honour of Cecil 'Starman' Nolan.

Hope it was OK to use this website's  'Grove' Graphic as a header photo!

-------------

Date Posted: 20-November-2020 at 11:01
Lovely stuff, Taylor, hadn't seen that before. Thanks for that

-------------

Date Posted: 20-November-2020 at 12:23
Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 20-November-2020 at 13:15
Taylor,

That is awesome.

Never seen it before.

Thank you so much for sharing it. 👏👏👏

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 20-November-2020 at 14:39
You captured the Grove mood very well Taylor. Lots of memories flooding back to keep me awake tonight. I do remember enjoying a version of it a while back but means more now that the "Starman" has passed on to a better place.

Date Posted: 21-November-2020 at 17:14
See my post just now on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/drpatridge/status/1330195586902089733?s=21" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/drpatridge/status/1330195586902089733?s=21

I used your NATIONAL CECIL DAY graphic - a really great idea, Reunion or no - another pertinent date for all our calendars - and for Cecil‘s legacy 😃👍🎸

-------------

Date Posted: 21-November-2020 at 22:54
Nice one Taylor...

-------------

Date Posted: 21-November-2020 at 23:05
Dammit Taylor- I needed to edit that before publication - "Gerry's House • FREE DRINKS! • Shuttle Service Available"

Excellent that your Membership Card is signed by Paul Tighe - he was the boss and bouncer from day one at the Old Grove...he had a Garda sidekick named Noonan (I think?), tall lanky fella. It's like having your boxing card signed by Lugs Brannigan. I am not sure if we ever called them "bouncers", they were all just nice guys that hung around the place, served the Fanta and club milks and took the money at the door (2 shillings I think for admission when I started). I can't remember ever seeing a fight at The Grove, which was very unusual for Dublin at the time.

Date Posted: 21-November-2020 at 23:27
😃👍🎸

-------------

Date Posted: 22-November-2020 at 00:57

My membership card from 1972.

Agree Pogue, never experienced any kind of aggro at the Grove. Folks, including me and my biker pals, would come in with a few on us but that was never an issue. There was great music and lots of girls so no reason to be pissed off about anything.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 22-November-2020 at 09:25
Yep lads, I was a Paul Tighe man meself. I think it was Mick Noonan you're thinking of Poguey, tall kinda balding man. Never saw hassle inside Belgrove for sure, as Pat says, why would there be ...

-------------

Date Posted: 22-November-2020 at 11:21
Never witnessed nor experienced any hassle or negativity in all my St. Paul‘s Grove years (1977 - 1980) - compared to „Town“ and the subcontext of violence in the country at that time. In hindsight, that was part of the overall magic! ✨

-------------

Date Posted: 23-November-2020 at 14:47
I only remember a few minor scuffles in St.Paul's,and one time a window in the corridor leading out to the compound got broken...other than that it was all in good spirit.

-------------

Date Posted: 23-November-2020 at 16:10
I remember having a boxing match with my girlfriend once because she said The Beatles are better than The Stones. She still insists they are Ouch

Date Posted: 23-November-2020 at 16:19
Back to Cecil. The Beatles was his favourite band no doubt.  Other than Strawberry Fields and Eleanor Rigby I never quite got it. Songs like When I'm 64, Yellow Submarine, Octopuss' Garden, For the Benefit of Mr. Kite etc

but hold on!...they might have all been written by Ringo HAH! Cool

Date Posted: 23-November-2020 at 18:59

Above isa picture of a tribute on page 20 of the Sunday Indo yesterday to Cecil. A slightly different take on the standard tributes, so interesting.

-------------

Date Posted: 23-November-2020 at 19:15
Good piece, thanks for sharing Gerry.

-------------

Date Posted: 23-November-2020 at 19:32
Ta Brian. Just for context: Declan Lynch (the author of the review) was one of the original writes/reviewers for Hot Press magazine many moons ago when it started. An alcoholic, who doesn't drink now, he is a very funny and perceptive writer who has a very sarcastic style which he uses to lambast errant politicians, mad things the Irish do, current affairs, the "system", etc. His work is very readable, while sarcastic (or maybe "highly ironic" is a better description) it's never malicious for the sake of it. I think he's hilarious to read. He has this full-page column every week in the Indo, and I'm sure he writes in the Irish Times as well on a regular basis. Praise from Lynch is praise indeed and that's what makes the tribute to Cecil - as well as being written in his inimitable style - so meaningful to me. There ya have it now...oh, he has written a couple of books: "The Rooms", a work of fiction based on his time dealing with alcoholism, was very entertaining I found.

-------------

Date Posted: 23-November-2020 at 20:16
Great review Gerry - I like to think of Cecil as more of an underground hero who played music he liked rather than appealing to the mainstream.  I think he said himself -"If ya don't like it then tough luck" but not in those exact words.Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 23-November-2020 at 20:20
I forgot to mention RR- congratulations on the photo of you, printed to the right of the Cecil article

Date Posted: 23-November-2020 at 20:38
Haha Poguey, you were a tiny bit slower than I expected there 😂😂

But yeah, I think that was basically Cecil's attitude ok, and a very healthy one too ...

-------------

Date Posted: 24-November-2020 at 09:22
Very good RR nice article and agree with Pogue the man played what he wanted Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 01-December-2020 at 20:06
Yeah, thanks for sharing the above, Gerry.  Also - Taylor, loved your Grove 'tribute' above, a few pages back.  Wonderful work.

-------------

Date Posted: 01-December-2020 at 20:11
Mel ...

-------------

Date Posted: 02-December-2020 at 03:28
Here's a little known fact about the Old Grove posters that got singed in the fire. Cecil never said "Hey can you do me a poster of Ringo or Mick Jagger or Paul?". Usually you would copy a cool photo of Dylan, Donovan or someone else from Melody Maker or Rolling Stone and show it to Cecil to see if he was interested. More often he didn't like the poster or the singer illustrated so would send you on your way. Lots of the rejected posters were of fairly obscure artists like Alvin Lee, Marsha Hunt, Zappa, and mad people, painted for their visual appeal only. I forget if any money changed hands but I doubt it. 
Usually Cecil would just give you a big hug and stick a club milk in your pocket - just kiddin' - a small hug.

My point is, if anyone wants to buy a poster of  Alvin Lee, Marsha Hunt, Zappa or mad people, they are still available at a reduced price.Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui0yziHnO4o" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui0yziHnO4o

Date Posted: 02-December-2020 at 08:24
Pogue,

Never heard that Marsha Hunt song before or if I did I don't remember.

Interesting title and interesting song.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 02-December-2020 at 08:47
interesting womanSmile

-------------

Date Posted: 02-December-2020 at 08:52
I remember Marsha Hunt, and that song well. It was her biggest (only?) real hit record. Think she had a little thing going with Mick Jagger? But then, who didn't back in those days ...

-------------

Date Posted: 02-December-2020 at 09:43
Actually, I think Jagger has a child - Kris - by Marsha Hunt. But my memory could be letting me down again ...

-------------

Date Posted: 02-December-2020 at 10:08
Googled that Gerry.

Indeed they did have a child.

A girl called Karis now 36 years old.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 02-December-2020 at 10:40
Marsha was in the original cast of Hair. I'm sure Gerry is right about that being her only personal hit.
Mick had good taste is all I can say Cool

Date Posted: 02-December-2020 at 10:55
I just read this:

Nothing embodied the spirit of Hair more than the giant coiffure of its poster girl and star of the West End production, Marsha Hunt, the actress with the spectacular Afro who went on to inspire the Rolling Stones to write Brown Sugar, which reached number two in the UK charts and the top spot in America.

With her black curls radiating out like a giant atom-bomb cloud, Hunt’s sensuous arms wrapped around her lithe legs, naked except for bracelets of tiny bells on her arm and ankle, her photo by Lord Patrick Lichfield became one of the iconic images of the 1960s.

I loved that poster without ever knowing it was Marsha

Date Posted: 02-December-2020 at 12:52
Wow.

Excellent post Pogue.

Never knew that about Brown Sugar.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net