Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Cecil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2021 at 22:09
Cecil being honoured by Manchester United in the match programme at last nights game against Real Sociedad at Old Trafford.

Besides our love of music Cecil and I shared a mutual love of Manchester United so I am really thrilled that United did this.

May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Sponsored Links

ShortHairHippie View Drop Down
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2021 at 07:17
respect
upon us all,a little rain must fall
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2021 at 10:42
Thumbs Up
Great stuff
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2021 at 16:13
Lovely gesture by Man U I have to say ...
One of its legs is both the same
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2021 at 19:08
Fair play to United!  Lovely gesture. Thumbs Up
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2021 at 21:04
A great tribute to Cecil by Brian on WhatsApp today to mark his first anniversary - Excellent photos that brought a tear to my eye. Here's another iconic pic of Cecil  that was posted on this forum a while back- Not sure who took it but a great shot? (a little artistic license used)

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2021 at 22:31
Brilliant Pogue. ❤❤❤

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2021 at 22:36
21 November 2021

My own bit of prose remembering Cecil on the first anniversary of his passing.

Cecil,

I know you're only one year gone

But the memory of you will always be strong

You were a god of music just like Apollo

Impossible for us Grovers not to follow

You will never be forgotten dear Music Man

Because your musical footprint will live on and on.

Forever in the hearts of all Grovers. ❤❤❤

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2021 at 22:59
Pat, lovely...
One of its legs is both the same
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2021 at 07:58
hard to believe it's a year today since we got the sad news that the music man had passed away...thank you Cecil for introducing me to some wonderful music in the Grove,and I met the best people over the years through the Grove,and I have always been proud to have been a member of the Grove radio show team... memories that will last a lifetime...thank you Cecil.
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2021 at 09:34
Amen to that Sean 🙏🙏🙏❤❤❤

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2021 at 11:31
thanks Pat
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2021 at 13:19
I cannot believe it has been a year already.  My heart goes out to Rob and the rest of Cecil's family.  That was a fantastic and moving show from Derek on Friday last and fair play to Brian for that collage of photos on the whatsapp group.  Still find it so strange to think Cecil isn't with us anymore.
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2021 at 13:38
Mel,we are all feeling that way,you are not alone.
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2022 at 22:08
Today am thinking of Cecil and the Nolan family and all Grovers on this the 2nd anniversary of Cecil's passing.

Gone but never forgotten. ❤️❤️⚘️⚘️🎤🎤🎶🎶

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2023 at 11:48
I wrote this little story on the Grove FB.

Hope you don't mind me sharing it here.

It's about how I reconnected with Cecil after 30 years and how I came to join this forum.

"An ex next door neighbour from Celtic Park, Gerard Patchell, told me Cecil from the Grove hung out at Austin's newspaper stand. I worked in Fingal County Council in O'Connell Street for a few years after leaving Aer Lingus. So one day on my lunch break I went over to Austin's stand and asked him if it was true Cecil Nolan the Grove DJ hung out there. Austin asked who I was. I said I went to the Grove from 1972 to 1975. Cecil must have been listening behind the stall as he suddenly popped out and asked who I was and for an hour or so we chatted and reminisced about the Mount Prospect Grove. That was around March 2005. We then started meeting regularly there. We got on really well. I couldn't wait for my lunch breaks. Cecil told me about the Grove website which I joined in April 2005 after he asked earnestly that I join and be active on as it was only new. I did that and am still active on it 18 years later. One day he mentioned the possibility of the Grove Documentary and said I'd be great on it. After much discussion over a few lunch breaks I agreed. Then sadly the Council moved from O'Connell Street to new offices in Blanchardstown so those wonderful lunch breaks came to an end. But I never lost contact with Cecil and we kept in touch. Then Derek Farrell entered my life through the Grove website and we met up together and later added Cecil. Derek hadn't seen Cecil in years. So I arranged a surprise meet up one day. Told Derek I'd meet him at his house as usual but I brought Cecil along and he hid when Derek opened the door as he was expecting only me. Derek went into his hallway but I called him back. Out popped Cecil. Two Grove legends and dear friends reunited. It was one of the most touching moments in my life. The three of us would then meet up on occasions in Derek's house. Last meet up was after the 2019 Grove Reunion when I was back in Ireland for that. Little did I know then it would be the last time I would see Cecil alive. But I had a final phone conversation with him not long before he died. Via Rob he called me here in the Philippines. He spoke so kindly and with incredible clarity and even spoke with Marjie saying such wonderful loving words about how happy he was we had met and married and were happy together. We'll never forget that phone call. It was incredibly emotional. 

Cecil is and always will be in our thoughts and prayers. His portrait which Verona Hanlon sent me and Grove photo collage that Martin Kilbride put together hang proudly on our wall here.

Sorry for the long story but it's an emotional time thinking of Cecil especially around his anniversary".

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2023 at 12:09
thanks for sharing your stories Pat.I remember meeting Cecil at Austin's news stand one time.I was going to Austin to get Grove reunion tickets from him,and I got a nice surprise when I saw Cecil there.He was pleased to see I was there for reunion tickets,and that there was still people interested in attending the reunions.We chatted briefly that day,and went on to have many chats over the years since.
Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2023 at 18:19
Great story Pat- I can relate to the times considering I was one of Derek's troop back in the day - The early years when Derek was made pay to get in.
My Cecil story is very different and is probably detailed in an early Grove Forum post. Before Cecil was married and long before Rob was a twinkle in his eye (circa 1968) My friend Bubbles and I  ambushed him in a house on Brookwood Avenue. Harmo was a pretty tough area back then and being long haired, and rough around the edges compared to the Clontarf crowd, I can only say fair play to Cecil giving us a break by signing us in for the first visit.  Once inside you could apply for a card and the rest is history.
Cecil and I didn't talk to each other at all until later when myself and the brothers begged him to buy our popstar posters. Not sure if money was exchanged but probably a pound or two?

...without being too nosey I am wondering why Cecil hung around Austin's News Stand: Did he work there? Was he Austin's buddy? Did he get free Presses and Heralds...Did you ever buy a paper when you met Cecil at Austins? I bet you didn't ye miser...so many questions HAH

I looked up Austin's and found this article- There was even a picture with a Cecil looking character in it (not Cecil though):

"Most Dubliners are familiar with O’Connell Street’s main newspaper stand, nestled beside an equally famous doughnut kiosk that is still going strong after 30 years.

Owner Austin Cregan is the third generation to run the stand. His father and grandfather ran it before him, and he’s been working at the newspaper kiosk for an impressive 45 years now.

With the advent of the internet age, long gone are the days when people used to buy a morning and evening paper. There’s no doubt that times are tough, but Austin and Stephen still enjoy chatting with people and serving their regulars.

What’s Stephen’s favourite thing about helping out at the stand? “People. The people I meet, because you meet really nice people... from every walk of life.”

Austin is here six days a week, come rain or shine, and today Stephen is here to give him a well-earned break. There’s still a lot of footfall through O’Connell Street, but business certainly isn’t what it was a decade or two ago.

But Stephen, who lives on the northside himself, is loyal to his hometown: “I love the architecture when the sun shines. I think it’s a beautiful city. I’ve travelled quite a bit, and I’ve always come home.”"

Edited by Pogue Mahoney - 19-November-2023 at 18:21
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2023 at 07:17
Great memories there Sean.

This is why I love this forum. You won't get stories like this on the Facebook pages.

I never bought a newspaper at Austin's because I don't read newspapers.

Once I bought my Grove Reunion ticket off Austin.

I'm wondering if the connection between Austin and Cecil is Grove related or maybe they knew each other personally.

I know Cecil loved to go into the city a lot and maybe he just struck up a relationship with Austin by pure chance when buying a newspaper or magazine.

Cecil told he also hung out there because a lot of experience Grovers would often pass by and he loved reminiscing with them. 

Cecil did stop hanging out there because a rough druggie crowd started assembling beside the stall.

Austin was a really nice guy and I'd chat with him on occasion when Cecil wasn't there. But only briefly. 

Hope all good with you Sean in the USA.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2023 at 10:10
I'm not sure how Cecil and Austin knew each other Pat...I might ask Andy and Rob at the reunion,to see if they know ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>