Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Cecil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2020 at 16:10
I remember having a boxing match with my girlfriend once because she said The Beatles are better than The Stones. She still insists they are Ouch
Sponsored Links

Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2020 at 16:19
Back to Cecil. The Beatles was his favourite band no doubt.  Other than Strawberry Fields and Eleanor Rigby I never quite got it. Songs like When I'm 64, Yellow Submarine, Octopuss' Garden, For the Benefit of Mr. Kite etc

but hold on!...they might have all been written by Ringo HAH! Cool
Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2020 at 18:59

Above isa picture of a tribute on page 20 of the Sunday Indo yesterday to Cecil. A slightly different take on the standard tributes, so interesting.
One of its legs is both the same
Sister1 View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
Really Really Senior Member
88-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2020 at 19:15
Good piece, thanks for sharing Gerry.
Keep it Local, Keep it Near!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2020 at 19:32
Ta Brian. Just for context: Declan Lynch (the author of the review) was one of the original writes/reviewers for Hot Press magazine many moons ago when it started. An alcoholic, who doesn't drink now, he is a very funny and perceptive writer who has a very sarcastic style which he uses to lambast errant politicians, mad things the Irish do, current affairs, the "system", etc. His work is very readable, while sarcastic (or maybe "highly ironic" is a better description) it's never malicious for the sake of it. I think he's hilarious to read. He has this full-page column every week in the Indo, and I'm sure he writes in the Irish Times as well on a regular basis. Praise from Lynch is praise indeed and that's what makes the tribute to Cecil - as well as being written in his inimitable style - so meaningful to me. There ya have it now...oh, he has written a couple of books: "The Rooms", a work of fiction based on his time dealing with alcoholism, was very entertaining I found.
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2020 at 20:16
Great review Gerry - I like to think of Cecil as more of an underground hero who played music he liked rather than appealing to the mainstream.  I think he said himself -"If ya don't like it then tough luck" but not in those exact words.Thumbs Up
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2020 at 20:20
I forgot to mention RR- congratulations on the photo of you, printed to the right of the Cecil article

Edited by Pogue Mahoney - 23-November-2020 at 20:22

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2020 at 20:38
Haha Poguey, you were a tiny bit slower than I expected there ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

But yeah, I think that was basically Cecil's attitude ok, and a very healthy one too ...

joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2020 at 09:22
Very good RR nice article and agree with Pogue the man played what he wanted Thumbs Up
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2020 at 20:06
Yeah, thanks for sharing the above, Gerry.  Also - Taylor, loved your Grove 'tribute' above, a few pages back.  Wonderful work.
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2020 at 20:11
Mel ...
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2020 at 03:28
Here's a little known fact about the Old Grove posters that got singed in the fire. Cecil never said "Hey can you do me a poster of Ringo or Mick Jagger or Paul?". Usually you would copy a cool photo of Dylan, Donovan or someone else from Melody Maker or Rolling Stone and show it to Cecil to see if he was interested. More often he didn't like the poster or the singer illustrated so would send you on your way. Lots of the rejected posters were of fairly obscure artists like Alvin Lee, Marsha Hunt, Zappa, and mad people, painted for their visual appeal only. I forget if any money changed hands but I doubt it. 
Usually Cecil would just give you a big hug and stick a club milk in your pocket - just kiddin' - a small hug.

My point is, if anyone wants to buy a poster of  Alvin Lee, Marsha Hunt, Zappa or mad people, they are still available at a reduced price.Smile

Edited by Pogue Mahoney - 02-December-2020 at 03:46
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2020 at 08:24
Pogue,

Never heard that Marsha Hunt song before or if I did I don't remember.

Interesting title and interesting song.

May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2020 at 08:47
interesting womanSmile
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2020 at 08:52
I remember Marsha Hunt, and that song well. It was her biggest (only?) real hit record. Think she had a little thing going with Mick Jagger? But then, who didn't back in those days ...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2020 at 09:43
Actually, I think Jagger has a child - Kris - by Marsha Hunt. But my memory could be letting me down again ...
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2020 at 10:08
Googled that Gerry.

Indeed they did have a child.

A girl called Karis now 36 years old.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2020 at 10:40
Marsha was in the original cast of Hair. I'm sure Gerry is right about that being her only personal hit.
Mick had good taste is all I can say Cool
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2020 at 10:55
I just read this:

Nothing embodied the spirit of Hair more than the giant coiffure of its poster girl and star of the West End production, Marsha Hunt, the actress with the spectacular Afro who went on to inspire the Rolling Stones to write Brown Sugar, which reached number two in the UK charts and the top spot in America.

With her black curls radiating out like a giant atom-bomb cloud, Huntโ€™s sensuous arms wrapped around her lithe legs, naked except for bracelets of tiny bells on her arm and ankle, her photo by Lord Patrick Lichfield became one of the iconic images of the 1960s.

I loved that poster without ever knowing it was Marsha

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2020 at 12:52
Wow.

Excellent post Pogue.

Never knew that about Brown Sugar.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>