Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Cecil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2020 at 13:28
Thanks folks.

I already signed the book of condolences.

Thanks Taylor for sharing the link.
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Sponsored Links

Sister1 View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
88-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2020 at 13:48
Just back from Dardistown. Nicely done, we sang a little of Starman as he arrived and in the cremetorium the played Strawberry Fields. Rob Nolan did a fantastic eulogy and then it ended with More Than a Feeling. A good turnout and welll done all.
Keep it Local, Keep it Near!
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2020 at 15:00
Thanks for that Thumbs Up
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2020 at 15:09
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2020 at 15:12
Thanks Brian.

And thanks Pogue for the links.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2020 at 15:41
Nice turnout of old friends for Cecil at Dardistown today.

Such a pity we all couldn't have gone somewhere afterwards to pass the afternoon with some music, a few beers,a chat and to share our memories.

RIP Cecil. 
ShortHairHippie View Drop Down
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2020 at 16:09
we said our final farewell to Cecil today...the hearse pulled up to the sound of Grovers singing David Bowie's Starman,and as Cecil's sons brought Cecil's coffin inside,Strawberry Fields Forever by the Beatles was playing...Cecil's son Rob made a beautiful speech about his Dad, and spoke fondly of the Grove family who were of great support to the family in the past number of weeks,and thanked Andy Colbert for his friendship with Cecil,and helping bring back the magic of the Grove... Cecil's coffin then passed through the curtain to the sound of More Than A feeling by Boston playing... it was lovely to see so many Grovers from different Grove eras present...a lovely but emotional day... R.I.P. Cecil, thank you for all you gave us over the years.
upon us all,a little rain must fall
Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2020 at 16:30
Lovely posts and links above guys. Well done to all - and to Pat for his lovely poetic eulogy. Ragin I couldn't get out today but such is life...

I've posted lots of stuff in the last weeks and months about Cecil and the Grove, but the most recent thought I am having on all this - and I've been reflecting in it all especially in the last few days - is that, obviously there is a huge amount of love for Cecil and the Grove and the times we all had there. And Cecil's passing is a tragedy in itself. But also I think it's (another) connection to our teenage years gone now. A few connections have been broken for me this year - couple of old St Annes comrades-in-arms gone (JB, I'm lookin up at you amongst others), some great musicians, local and far-flung, that I had great affection for, both musically and the decent people they seemed to be, and especially thinking of Ditch here. And so Cecil is the latest - and probably the most significant in ways - in that long parade. What it all means I'm not sure, just a sign I suppose that time is moving on for us all, and there's no holding back time!

...and, not for today obviously but Pogue raises an interesting point in passing about the forums, the radio show etc. This is where the inability to physically gather is a real pain. And we need to be coming together round a table to chat, cry, sing and raise a glass to - lots of people and things. And we will, hopefully sometime next year.

Anyway above kinda random thoughts nearly, I hope they don't sound too maudlin, they are not meant to be. And the main thing I guess is, we are still here - and we keep going, and remembering those who are gone - always
One of its legs is both the same
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2020 at 19:05
Great to meet up with some grove pals off this site and elsewhere today in Dardistown.  Very sad day but also great to catch up with some of the gang away from social media.  As you guys have said, it's such a shame we couldn't all have convened in some hostelry somewhere and raised a glass and shared our memories of the Music Man.  We'd probably still be there now.    
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2020 at 19:09
Rolo, Sean, Gerry.

Nice posts all.

To concur with Rolo it must have been a real pity that you all couldn't gather afterwards which is an old Irish tradition. Cecil would have loved you guys to go celebrate his passing.

Echoing Gerrys point about time passing and our generation of friends and musicians gradually passing on, it certainly is a reality check.

This thought crossed my own mind when I heard Cecil was 81 which is only 14 years older than me at 67.

In relation to the Grove it would be great to try and keep Grove social media, radio shows, meet ups when possible again, one to one contacts going in order to keep the Grove spirit alive.

I know I certainly will do my best and when you're living abroad it's a great connection to great friends met through the Grove itself.

We all have shared a unique experience by just being Grovers.

Stay safe everybody and some day soon we shall gather again and celebrate as only Grovers can.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2020 at 19:31
I skipped through Cecil's Book of Condolences this morning (thanks for the link Taylor) to see if I could pick out any old names from the past and was impressed at the pages of friends and well-wishers that Cecil touched- I think we should petition Pope Francis to canonise Cecil for the joy he spread around the world.

Got me a thinkin'...When I die my Book of Condolences will be a sticky note Smile

Edited by Pogue Mahoney - 18-November-2020 at 19:35

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2020 at 19:37
Lol Poguey! Don't worry, when you kick the bucket I'll do a very special eulogy for you - on the head of a pun

Just kiddin of course - hope all is good there, it's an awful shame some if us can't get together and celebrate Cecil and the Grove in the "traditional" way! Well, some day...
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2020 at 03:07
Cecil talked on the radio show once about going out back at Belgrove on a slow summer night  and kicking a soccer ball around. I remember those nights, being in the Grove with only about five other people, everyone and their granny doing exams or off enjoying themselves in England, France or Spain. I scored a hat trick of three bullets on Cecil one night while he wasn't looking.   ...eh ok I'm lying - the only reason they let me play was they needed my overcoat for a goalpost. 

I really do remember going out and kicking a ball around on the rare occasion.

Edited by Pogue Mahoney - 19-November-2020 at 03:12
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2020 at 03:31
Great posts Pogue.

Re cannoonising Cecil.

He had no time for the Catholic Church or any religion for that matter. A subject discussed in Derek's house from time to time.

So a sainthood wouldn't be to his liking.

Our respect and love is enough for him.

He was greatly touched the hundreds of best wishes he received whilst in the hospice and as you mention Pogue the condolence book echoes the outpouring of sentiment to our Cecil.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2020 at 08:55
Interesting Pogue talks about kicking a ball around outside Belgrove with Cecil.

I remember one Summer evening we landed at the Grove a bit early, and to our utter astonishment there was Cecil and a few lads playing football. This was a scenario we'd never conceived of because, to us, Cecil was "the DJ" and in a sense he was a kind of Godlike figure - we certainly wouldn't have imagined him mixing with the mortals in that way! We couldn't have been more surprised if we saw a fish cycling down the road outside!

I suppose, despite all our pretensions to being cool, world-weary dudes, we weren't much more than children really, at that stage, and there was lots of stuff that was still capable of surprising us - and that sight was certainly one of them
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2020 at 10:25
I suppose under the circumstances everyone done what they could to say their goodbye to Cecil and i have to agree with Rolo that it would have been nice to get together and raise a glass to the man as is our way ,and send him on his way but i am sure it will be arranged some time in the near future what keeps playing in my head is all the sl*gging that used to be going on about , will this grove reunion be the last one  has at last played out 
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2020 at 11:53
Very true Joey, we certainly didn't realise last November (?) that that was going to be the last reunion ever - and that it would also be the last time most of us would see Cecil alive.

Shows you, live every day as if it's your last, cos one day ..
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2020 at 13:13
Cecil was mad into football and attended local matches.

He was a big Manchester United fan.

His son Rob followed in his dad's footsteps and Rob's two sons are playing for a team. Rob attends their matches.

And Joey, someday down the road we'll have that get together.

Am so glad I went back for the reunion last year because it was rumoured to be the last.

Talking with Cecil in Derek's house a few days later Cecil was determined to continue.

Gerry, we just don't know what's around the corner.

My own life has taught me that lesson. Full of ups and downs and surprises and shocks.

So am living a good life now in a region that makes me happy and suits my personality and my budget.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2020 at 14:52
Right on Pat . The trick to living a happy and contented life is all contained in your last sentence there...
Sister1 View Drop Down
88-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2020 at 14:57
I was chatting to Derek Farrell the last couple of days and he said Cecil was actually a very good footballer himself. He says in the documentary about having a kickaround in the summer before the Grove started, really live that idea. Marion and myself bumped into Cecil about 15 months ago at a do and he chatted to us about football for nearly an hour. Marion follows Liverpool and I am an Arsenal fan so we had a good old natter. A nice memory I was only thinking of the last few days.
Keep it Local, Keep it Near!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>