The Grove Social Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > Grove Reunions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

the Grove radio show on Near 90.3 fm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2019 at 14:15
No bother Pat, sure we will get our timings sorted out depending on whether or not you want to/can get across for the night, no sweat ...
One of its legs is both the same
Sponsored Links

Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2019 at 17:05
Howth is a bit of a pain to get to, but most of us "regular" Grovers find a way to get there, no matter where it has been held - Shieling, "The Good Bits"/Radio City, Button Factory, Clontarf Castle, Howth.  Let's be honest - it's (nowadays) ONLY once (maybe twice) a year, so not a major issue if you genuinely want to go.
I'm more concerned about the fact that, if it REALLY is the last one (and I have my doubts, especially if there is a BIG turnout in November), that loads of punters, who have not really made the effort to go to other reunions, will be clamouring to get tickets from the relatively small pool available and some of us regulars may miss out.  That wouldn't be right.

Perhaps we'll hear about tickets on here first to get the word out before the word gets out on Facebook?  Something like that?

TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
ShortHairHippie View Drop Down
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2019 at 17:42
Mel,perhaps a pre sale for regular attendees might solve that issue ?
upon us all,a little rain must fall
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2019 at 22:56
Yeah - hopefully, Sean, they can sort something.  The St. Paul's 50th bash when originally announced for the Saturday was sold out REALLY quickly, relatively speaking.  Obviously, St. Paul's being the venue had a big influence on numbers and the fact it was the 50th anniversary but, likewise, if it is gonna be the last one in November, I'd also expect a big demand - gonna be one hell of an occasion (happy and sad) if it really is the last reunion.
Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2019 at 12:14
Look on the bright side VJ. Next year will be the 1st anniversary of the Last Grove Reunion...I know Cecil will have to turn up for that Thumbs Up We just need to pick a venue.
Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2019 at 13:04
Poguey!
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2019 at 15:14
there will be future meet ups,but reunions as we know them will be over...all good things come to an end,but the Grove memory will live on.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2019 at 23:20
We shall see re it being the last, Sean.  I know I'm probably holding out the hope (in vain) that they keep going but they do have to end at some stage I suppose.  I hadn't really noticed the numbers dropping (significantly) to be honest (if that's the reason for the announcement) - and just last November, the night (I thought) was fantastic and everyone was up for it.  The easter reunion was, by all accounts, poorly attended, and loads of us didn't go, but (from a family perspective) I can understand why that was.  I just hope they aren't finishing the reunions because of the poor easter showing - because I don't think that is indicative of actual numbers still interested.  If it is to be the last though, then fair enough.

Edited by Vinyl Junkie - 25-July-2019 at 23:22
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2019 at 10:50
Mel,I said it before that having a reunion on a Sunday night is a disaster,because there is no late night bus services on a Sunday,and a bank holiday Sunday is even worse trying to get a taxi...I was considering going to the Easter reunion,and getting the last train home, then the trains were cancelled for maintenance work,so that ended that,so am delighted the next (last) reunion is on a Saturday
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2019 at 16:27
Thumbs Up  Sean.  I'm sure that the lads (Andy and Cecil) gave it their best shot on the night of the Easter bash but, by all accounts, it was noticeably poorly attended, with people reluctant to get up on the dance floor till late, empty tables etc.,  It was a shame but I would have been divorced, I reckon, if I tried to bunk out from a traditional family gathering on easter sunday to "go to the grove" and I suspect that may others had similar family engagements.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2019 at 17:04
Lol, Mel, I would have been right there with you in that club I reckon
Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2019 at 22:05
I remember being at the Grove when it was completely empty...I often had to ask Cecil up to dance. Some of the reunions should relive those occasions.

Edited by Pogue Mahoney - 26-July-2019 at 22:08
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2019 at 22:27
Sean the grove show is on now on Near FM 90.3

http://nearfm.ie/livestream/
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2019 at 23:59
Lol Poguey, I think you asked me up one night when it was really quiet - I loafed you in the knee though, and that was that ...
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2019 at 23:36
Mel,I'll never dispute the effort it takes the lads to arrange the reunions,but Sunday is a disaster,bank holiday or not...maybe they didn't realise that... a lot of us don't live on the Northside anymore, not like the original Grove days...unfortunate,but a reality
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2019 at 17:15
There's also the issue that many Grovers are married/in relationships and have children and it isn't as easy to get to the grove as it used to be when we were all young without commitments.
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2019 at 10:09
I find it easier to get into now than when I was a youngfella (Hahaha)
It is true what you say and also a lot of partners are not grove people  
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2019 at 12:39
the Grove radio show is back tonight at 21:30 hrs.,with myself in charge of tonights music...hope a few of ye can join Jen,Lynne,Brian and myself for some craic agus ceoil.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2019 at 15:50
I'll be around Sean...
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2019 at 17:26
good man Gerry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>