The Grove Social Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > Grove Reunions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

the Grove radio show on Near 90.3 fm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2019 at 10:52
Pat, Cecil played 3 songs through the show - Rock n roll I gave you all the best years of my life by Kevin Johnston; it's a long way to the top if you wanna rock n roll by AC/DC; sh*t, I forget the other one now, it'll come to me. The question was what had they in common. The answer was the Beatles were referenced in the lyrics to each song. Two of them were simple, but for the life of me I couldn't find a ref to the Beatles in theAC/DC one. But Cecil gave a couple of supplementary clues and it was obvious it was the Beatles he was on about. I'm still not sure if I just got the 3rd song wrong and it wasn't that AC/DC one. But no one else came up with the answer during the show ... bit strange ... Am I missing something obvious I wonder!6
One of its legs is both the same
Sponsored Links

Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2019 at 10:55
Pat, the other one was The Seeker by The Who ...
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2019 at 10:58
And what is the common thread?
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2019 at 11:01
The Beatles were name-checked in the lyrics ... But I can't find them in the AC/DC song ? Maybe it's me ...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2019 at 11:03
Maybe he meant they were referenced but not directly named in all three? Anyway, with the other clues (he played a Beatles song, also mentioned Johnny and the Moondogs - that was the deal-maker!) it was easy enough ...
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2019 at 11:14
Beats me Gerry. I can't see the connection either 🤔🤔

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2019 at 11:17
Yeah ...maybe Brian will take us out of our misery!

Anyway, I got the boxset prize so I'm delighted - but still would love to know if there's something real obvious I missed ...
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2019 at 11:25
Super box set.

Derek is a total musical genius and a real gentleman

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2019 at 12:39
It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock 'N' Roll)"

Ridin' down the highway
Goin' to a show
Stop in all the byways
Playin' rock 'n' roll
Gettin' robbed
Gettin' stoned
Gettin' beat up
Broken boned
Gettin' had
Gettin' took
I tell you folks
It's harder than it looks

It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock 'n' roll
If you think it's easy doin' one night stands
Try playin' in a rock roll band

Hotel motel
Make you wanna cry
Lady do the hard sell
Know the reason why
Gettin' old
Gettin' grey
Gettin' ripped off
Under-paid
Gettin' sold
Second hand
That's how it goes
Playin' in a band

If you wanna be a star of stage and screen
Look out it's rough and mean

Well it's a long way
It's a long way, you should've told me
It's a long way, such a long way

There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
Sister1 View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
88-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2019 at 13:18
Not sure myself either. I didnt get the connection on the night but made sense when I thought back on the Lyrics of the seeker.Must listen back to playback, might be down to version played.

Edited by Sister1 - 21-April-2019 at 13:26
Keep it Local, Keep it Near!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2019 at 14:57
Cheers Frank, and Brian. To be honest I googled the lyrics of all three songs on the night, and the AC/DC one threw me. I'd say that's why there was so little response to the quiz! Maybe Cecil remembered some of the lyrics wrongly, or as you say Brian maybe there's a different version of one of the verses, or an extra verse somewhere, or live version that mentions them...

...anyway I got the boxset, so go me ...

Beautiful here in Stradbally, 21 degrees, bright sunshine. Hope it's nice where all you guys are ...
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2019 at 15:13
"Gettin beat" perhaps mistaken as sounding like Beatles.

Anyway Gerry did well. That's a great box set to win.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Sister1 View Drop Down
88-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2019 at 10:18
Just to confirm November reunion is on Sat 30th Nov. Cecil announced last night it will definitely be the last one. Details to follow from Andy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2019 at 10:21
I'm not entirely surprised Brian, Cecil was making reference to "starting to creak" on the show the other night, and I guess it takes a lot of energy and motivation to do these kinds of gigs - and he's not a young man, sadly, like many of us!

How find it go last night? What kinds of numbers were there?
Sister1 View Drop Down
88-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2019 at 10:48
It was enjoyable as always Gerry, but numbers were down due to Easter. Just timing really and probably not helped by no trains either.
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2019 at 00:24
It's totally up to the lads of course and they've probably thought long and hard about this but I hope they're not basing their decision on last night.  I reckon Easter Sunday was always going to be a smaller crowd for the night that's in it.
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2019 at 09:27
Not sure when they made their decision,, but if Sunday night is the way it is going they would have no choice    but to pull the plug ,,it was kinda sad to see the turnout ,,but in saying that we made the most of it and the music was as good as ever
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2019 at 09:45
I kinda agree with that Joey, re them having no choice.
Personally speaking, though, I would have loved to have gone but we had a family dinner arranged, being Easter Sunday, and I suspect a lot of Grovers were in the same, or a similar, position.  The last few before this one were fairly crowded weren't they?  That said, Andy will know the numbers (tickets sold etc.,) so perhaps the crowd has been getting smaller anyway?  Shame though - you lads (and lassies) on here have stuck with the reunions (as have I) and it became something we could all look forward to and meet up and have the craic.  Ah well, as Andy says, we can still organize get-togethers at HBs etc.,  Just have to have more of those. Big smile  There's gonna be killings for the tickets in November though - I think Andy confirmed recently that the Abbey Tavern only holds 180? Hopefully, there's some sort of advance notice from Andy/Cecil on here for us "serious" grovers before word gets out on Facebook, for all our loyalty..... LOL  Hopefully, I'll still bump into Cecil on the Dart every Tuesday and he'll give us a heads up when they're going on sale.

TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
ShortHairHippie View Drop Down
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2019 at 12:09
the only reason I didn't go is it was a Sunday,and theres no late night bus service on a Sunday,so I wouldn't be able to get home,unless I got a taxi,and that would cost over 100 to get home
upon us all,a little rain must fall
Sister1 View Drop Down
88-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2019 at 14:11
Unfortunately I think sundays turnout was a factor in the decision. I reckon there were about 60-70 there max. At one point circa 10 oclock there was about 50. Thats out of 180 so you can imagine it was disappointing. Its all down to timing i would say. Easter just didnt suit alot of folks and no trains also didnt help. However, the music was still great and those there enjoyed themselves including myself. I did feel for Cecil and Andy though. Fair play to them, they still put on a great night.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>