The Grove Social Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > Grove Reunions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

the Grove radio show on Near 90.3 fm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2018 at 23:16
Last word for the night (from me anyway!):

I forgot to say, bout the show last night: I told Joey I was going to try get a dance off the ladies during the show! Well, one of the lady presenters agreed to a little bop, and we duly had one! I suspect it wasn't captured on the feed though ... I cannot say which lady, and I certainly cannot say what song we danced to (except it definitely wasn't a Blur song, which was a matter of some anxiety!!!).

That is all! G'night until tomorrow
One of its legs is both the same
Sponsored Links

Sister1 View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
Really Really Senior Member
88-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2018 at 11:39
Gerry - fair play to you. I often was tempted to rock out to certain songs in the studio!
Keep it Local, Keep it Near!
Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2018 at 11:43
Lol, thanks Brian. Bit of craic. The anguished face of my dance partner was worth the whole thing .
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2018 at 10:25
Thumbs Up
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
ShortHairHippie View Drop Down
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2018 at 14:31
I love the improvisation on the show,none of knows what the other is going to say next,sometimes it gets a debate going,but mostly we just end up having a laugh...great aul fun altogether
upon us all,a little rain must fall
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2018 at 14:37
Yeah Sean.

Off the cuff chat. And off air banter is great too.

And the FB comments and posts add to the show.

I found the hardest part was deciding the playlist, what to add in and what to leave out.🤔🤔
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2018 at 14:40
agreed Pat,having to drop songs is the tough part,especially when you don't want to...my playlists are usually 30 songs,but we never have enough time to play 30,so we have to decide as we go which ones we drop... the thrill of doing live shows,ha ha
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2018 at 14:45
Last show I did I put a rough playlist together at home and I ended up with 54 songs.

Jaysus, spent ages agonising how to get it down to approx 25.😀😀😀

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2018 at 14:48
Isn't it amazing how the two hours fly by between playing the songs and having the banter and the ad breaks.

Remember at the start when Pete was putting together the first show we were wondering how might we fill two hours.😉😀😀

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2018 at 14:49
I have that problem everytime Pat,at some stage in the future,I'm going to put a playlist together of songs that were left over from previous shows...I reckon it will make an interesting playlist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2018 at 18:46
Missed all this. For what it's worth I had fantastic fun to myself listening to music, scouring You Tube for anything newish and Groveable (Masters of Reality fit the bill for me, also Violent Femmes, wasn't sure had either been played in the Grove). I'd say, without exaggeration, I considered/listened about 150 songs, in various combinations, before coming up with my 25. And we got 24 of them played, not bad I guess! I had a fantastic few weeks doing all that "work".
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2018 at 12:02
my playlists come from my head,I get an idea for a show,and I write it down...I only check youtube to make sure the songs are available.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2018 at 12:20
Well the way I used YouTube Sean, I tend to listen to most of my music on YouTube, and it seems to "remember" what stuff you listen to. So I scanned extensively through YouTube to catch all I had been listening to in recent times, then in some cases looked for a "lesser-played-but equally-good" track from the same band. I am always listening to Zeppelin for example, but stuck in "The Ocean" and "Bring it in home" as tracks equally worthy of playing but don't seem to hear them so much. That kind of idea. Also I have some stuff on Spotify so double-checked that as well. The only song in the final list that was completely new to me was the Violent Femmes "Blister in the Sun". I heard that by chance on the radio (Nova I guess) while driving and pulled in to listen to it. I just thought it was spectacular stuff. The rest of the songs were already "mine" ,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2018 at 12:28
Also scanned my own head, but there's that many holes in my brain at this stage
I didn't find that much in there
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2018 at 17:04
it's amazing what pops out of the head when you least expect it
Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2018 at 20:11
Dammit! How did I miss this Rahenyrythm gig?...I take a few days off and see what happens.Star

This is another good reason why this show should be taped.

Edited by Pogue Mahoney - 16-October-2018 at 20:14
Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2018 at 20:12
Originally posted by Rahenyrhythm Rahenyrhythm wrote:

Also scanned my own head, but there's that many holes in my brain at this stage
I didn't find that much in there

If you injected glucose into your brain you'd have Sweet f**k All  -Snicker snicker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2018 at 20:55
Lol Poguey, I've missed you. I even gave you a big shout -out on the show, the lads'll confirm it - I gave my theory that your folks were big Shane McGowan fans, to christen you Pogue! I'm not sure that many people got that joke, but there you are

I did ask could you get a link to the show, and while it is possible, it involves a good bit of messing, so my comic genius is likely to remain undiscovered - until the next show I do !!!
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2018 at 15:11
the Grove radio show returns tonight at 9:30 pm on Near 90.3 fm...Cecil will be joining us tonight...hope a few of ye can tune in.
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2018 at 15:32
I reckon there'll be a few of us there alright...... thanks Sean.
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>