Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > Grove Reunions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

the Grove radio show on Near 90.3 fm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2018 at 20:09
excellent Pat
upon us all,a little rain must fall
Sponsored Links

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2018 at 23:49
Sean.

That was a show that had me captivated throughout.

Cecil and Derek are so musically knowing.

Thank you and Brian for getting them on the show.

Rock on,

Pat
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
ShortHairHippie View Drop Down
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2018 at 12:32
Pat,I think captivated sums it up...the history of the early days of the Grove,told by people who were there...amazing
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2018 at 15:46
I have just posted last nights playlist,and order the songs were played in on the facebook Grove social club page.Again,thanks to Cecil and Derek for the playlist and their stories about the Grove...hopefully we'll have confirmation soon on the date in November for the reunion.
Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2018 at 15:57

I could never tune in to “nearFM” from Ohio but finally copped on and found the live-stream on YouTube. It was a huge coincidence and thrill that on my first listen I heard Cecil and Derek reminiscing on the “Grove Posters” by the Carroll brothers (Tony, Brendan and Sean). After working over half a century in the art business it is flattering to have work remembered from my teenage years and even more of a thrill to be mentioned as a tiny part of Grove history.

Cecil also talked about Bono, Pat Mc Morrow, Larry Mullen, Marty Whelan as ex-Grovers, but who the hell ever heard of them guys?  HAH!Tongue

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2018 at 18:20
Pogue

That is amazing that on the night you finally connected with the radio show that Cecil and Derek were the guests.

When I meet up with Cecil and Derek recently they were reminiscing about the posters and who made them and your names were mentioned with fondness.

My memory of Mount Prospect is filled with images from the posters on the walls and were a major factor in creating the unique atmosphere in the place.

As for my name being mentioned in such exalted company must make the others feel honoured lol 😂😂😂

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2018 at 19:19
for me who was never in Mount Prospect,it was great to hear such vivid memories of the place...so good,I could almost visualize it
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2018 at 19:44
SHH

Might I suggest you copy the radio shows playlist in here

BP

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2018 at 19:50
I'll have to physically type it out,so leave it with me BP
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2018 at 20:03
Sean

No need. I posted the above request before reading the FB page.

Thought it might have been a simple cut and paste job but I had forgotten there were two playlists, one was Cecils and the other Derek.

Apologies.

BP

Edited by Biker Pat - 08-September-2018 at 20:05

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2018 at 20:22
Pat

what I posted on facebook was the actual tracks that were played,as we didn't get to play all the tracks on the playlist...

no apology needed my friend.
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2018 at 21:19
Sean

Saw that on FB.

Enough material left over for another show.

And like I said last night, there are songs on there I never heard before.

Cecil and Derek know their music.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2018 at 23:01
we will deffo be doing another show with the left over material Pat... and more
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2018 at 23:03
To Gerry Daly.

I salute you for the amazing music choice you presented on the Grove radio show tonight.

I loved every track.

Pat

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2018 at 23:11
You sir, Gerry, are a legend already. You should be on the Grove Radio team. Fab night. What a show! Loved it.
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2018 at 23:59
Thanks for the lovely words and the support lads, I had a great time. Glass of wine, bed, start again tomorrow! Cheers
One of its legs is both the same

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2018 at 00:00
Lol i meant, not !!!
Sister1 View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
Really Really Senior Member
88-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2018 at 22:11
Gerry - Thanks again for coming in last night. It was a great show. We will have to have you on again sometime.

Pat and Gerry - thanks for reminding me of this site. I have to admit if it wasn't for the Grove I wouldn't be on FB at all. It serves a purpose but I'm increasingly not a fan of the medium. Its a necessary evil if you like. This site is where I first got to know ye all. Pat - I still remember you introducing me to everyone back in 2006. Robbie's reaction was a scream - he couldn't get over Sister 1 being a bloke! Gerry - I was thinking of how welcoming everyone was then when you commented how myself. Jen and Lynne welcomed you last night. That's the one thing I like most about the Grove - great people to add to the great music. Its a powerful combination. When Cecil was on recently he asked me off air if I thought the Grove would ever die - my answer was that it will continue to live on - music is a gift for life and it keeps on giving. It still does after 51 years so no reason why it shouldn't keep going.

Brian.
Keep it Local, Keep it Near!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2018 at 22:25
Brian, you lad - you came back, as you said! Nice one...

Very interesting question about the Grove thing, I have actually thought about it. I suppose there are two ways of looking at it:

The simple (and maybe best): the Grove was/is about music, but also about friendship - music will never die, nor will friendship;

The complex: The grovers are getting older (as everyone is anyway). As the Grove club itself is no longer - in the sense of a physical venue, new membership cards etc - that manifestation of "the Grove" necessarily has a limited lifespan. So, how to keep the Grove going without these things ... Well, we have the Radio show, we have the websites, we have the get-together so (reunions). Cos of time constraints last night, and cos I'm a complete waffler (as I warned you lol) I never got to say things like - I think the Grove is a kinda state of mind around good music, good times, loyalty to mates, loving life, "not being a prick", etc, etc. So maybe there doesn't have to be a venue or cards etc once the Grove mindset is kept going ... How to get "new" people into that vibe is the question. I don't know the answer yet, but I am thinking on it...

Jaysis, Brian, you'll def be an asset back here, you have me little brains workin away like mad ...

Edited by Rahenyrhythm - 06-October-2018 at 22:27
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2018 at 23:04
Sister 1 (Brian), great to see on here again.

Rock on.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>