The Grove Social Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > Grove Reunions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grove Reunion - November 16th 2018, Abbey Tavern

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2018 at 22:12
Sean !
One of its legs is both the same
Sponsored Links

Sister1 View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
Really Really Senior Member
88-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2018 at 22:20
Gerry - it will be weird and wonderful for your first reunion next month. Like SHH, mine was in the Shieling in 2006. The RTE documentary aired the month before and unlocked a lot of memories and strangely got me thinking of going along. I've met some great people since that and not been to a bad night out, get together or reunion since. The Abbey Tavern is a great venue in my view - something about the vibe that is grove esque. The owner apparently went there too.
Keep it Local, Keep it Near!
Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2018 at 22:36
Yeah, really looking forward to it Brian. I mean, REALLY looking forward to it. I have to be careful now, I have to mind I don't get too "excited" with the pints at the Waterside. It would be (as I was saying last night I think) a real irony (and a bit like some of the old Grove days!) if I staggered up to the Abbey Tavern to be told "not tonight son"!!! I would probably cry!    But that won't happen ... Defo not ...

Always liked the Abbey T, used to hang out round Howth as well as Clontarf etc in my teens. I was actually - with a pal of mine - interviewed by one of the Scott-Lennons, can't remember his first name, for Summer job there as lounge boy or whatever. The lad was very nice, but our hair was way too long and it was probably obvious we'd never done a days work in our lives then, and we weren't going to start in the Abbey
ShortHairHippie View Drop Down
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2018 at 05:03
I'll be in the Waterside @ 7pm on the night,so see ye all then
upon us all,a little rain must fall

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2018 at 15:10
Cool, Sean, can't wait ...
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2018 at 15:15
see you then Gerry
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2018 at 21:23
Yep, 7 bells it is for me as well at the Waterside. I'll hop on a Dart from Harmo (my folks still live on Brookwood Avenue and I'm staying there for the night).
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2018 at 21:25
Excellent Mel. I'm staying in one of my "safe houses" in Swords like the other night! Taxi out and back to Howth I guess ...
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2018 at 10:16
Sorry RR I missed your show on the radio I was out and about, by the sounds of things all went very well for you Thumbs Up
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2018 at 12:48
No bother at all Joey, you got a name check anyway! I listed out all my new Grove mates and thanked them for their welcome and friendship - in other words, the crew on here. Yeah, show went well, I'd like to hear it back, I know I can be an awful waffler when talking and I got a few "small hints" from family members that I might have droned on a bit in parts. Also, the Dubbalin accent - Jaysis. But overall happy with the thing, thanks for your support and good wishes beforehand. I threatened them that if they were"stuck", I'd do another one at some stage ... So you never know! Thanks again.
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2018 at 15:57
Yeah - on the guest thing, I'll probably head in again at some stage in the future - not sure when.  I know us lot on here on the website are a bit more dedicated to the Grove than the FB crew (I assume that's the case anyway) but there are thousands of Grovers on the main Grove FB page - you'd think there'd be a few volunteers from them to appear on the show - especially any of those that attend the reunions.  People may be a bit shy about being on air though.
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2018 at 16:10
That's true Mel, I suppose you can't force people to do these things, I know Peter was saying the same when he was involved, sure we'll see what happens down the line. Maybe the lads will come up with some brilliant ploy to entice people on to the show!
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2018 at 10:53
kidnapping might work

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2018 at 11:40
That could be the answer ok Sean !!! Other thoughts:

- See would Cecil ask for volunteers, next time he's on the show - or especially at the reunion - and get names/emails on the night; and/or

- Offer some kind of input into playlist development for a show ("give us your top 5 Grove tracks" without appearing on the show (might not be much help to the crew though) and/or

- offer people to come on the show and chat without them having to compile playlist? (Dunno if that would be attractive to anyone though?)

Just thought. Will rack brains a bit more ...
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2018 at 13:54
Gerry,we have covered most of those options...seems a lot of people are shy / nervous about going on radio,which is a pity,coz its great fun,as you now know

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2018 at 13:56
Yeah, it really is Sean ... Ok, back to straight-out kidnapping so
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2018 at 14:00
ha ha...I find it addictive,and hate when I cant do a show...but as I told the rest of the crew,the job that pays the bills takes priority ( unfortunetly )
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2018 at 14:04
The radio show has been running now since 2012.

I've done a few shows and I agree with Sean that's it great fun.

Bit of prep work needed but that's part of the vibe.

How many radio stations let you go on air with your own playlist?

The presenters of the show have asked people to come in over the six years but there has been little take up on the offer.

There are probably various reasons people don't want to be on the show as mentioned by Sean.

I would be interested to know what the listnership is for each show. Because if its low then there's unlikely to be much interest in guesting on the show.

Just my views.
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2018 at 14:09
P.s.

Just realised this is the Grove reunion thread.

Perhaps this discussion should be in the Grove Radio thread. 🤔
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2018 at 14:10
I can imagine - there is certain amount of preparation time, time coming and going to the studio, the time taken by the show itself. If I wasn't living in Stradbally I'd offer myself up for the greater good - but certainly happy to do shows on and off if that helped (maybe I'll get an unpleasant surprise and the lads say "Ah no it's ok Gerry, we prefer yer man nobody" . The only other thing is try to get people to come along in pairs maybe, but beyond that I'm a bit stumped. I suppose talking on the radio is a bit like public speaking - and, apart probably from spiders!, I think public speaking is the thing most people are most afraid to do Anyway, no doubt something will turn up, as they say, to help with all this ...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>