URL: http://www.theGroveSocialClub.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1179
Printed Date: 23-April-2024 at 22:37
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Grove Reunion - November 16th 2018, Abbey Tavern
Posted By: crusty
Subject: Grove Reunion - November 16th 2018, Abbey Tavern
Date Posted: 10-October-2017 at 12:04
Hi guys!
As most of you are aware, as it is the 50th year since The Grove first opened it's doors, we are having one final reunion this year. It will be held in the Abbey Tavern on the anniversary of Freddie Mercury's death, November 24th at 8:30pm. Tickets will go on sale on Wednesday October 11th at 8am from our usual outlet tickets.ie. Here's the link. Just 170 tickets available so don't wait around too long...
http://secure.tickets.ie/Listing/EventInformation/36414/" rel="nofollow - https://secure.tickets.ie/Listing/EventInformation/36414/
See you in November!

-------------
I'm not even supposed to be here today!

Replies:
Posted By: ShortHairHippie
Date Posted: 10-October-2017 at 16:18
I'll be up early in the morning so

-------------
upon us all,a little rain must fall

Date Posted: 12-October-2017 at 17:20
my reunion tickets arrived today...excited now

-------------

Posted By: Vinyl Junkie
Date Posted: 20-October-2017 at 12:28
Looking forward to it (surprise, surprise!). Thumbs Up

-------------
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).

Date Posted: 24-October-2017 at 01:59
only 4 weeks to go

-------------

Date Posted: 22-November-2017 at 23:05
2 days to go....

-------------

Date Posted: 23-November-2017 at 11:52
1 more sleep

-------------

Date Posted: 16-September-2018 at 13:22
Grove reunion confirmed for Friday 16th November in the Abbey Tavern in Howth...details to follow...

-------------

Posted By: Rahenyrhythm
Date Posted: 16-September-2018 at 15:31
Lads, are you on here (Pat, Sean, Frank, Mel, Joey, Black Russian (Peter?), Rolo (Ronan?), Brian, etc)going to this affair? And, assuming at least some of you are, how would someone in mucker-land (moi-meme) get a ticket? If some of youse are going I'll def do my best to get along...

... just, getting hands on the ticket !!!

-------------
One of its legs is both the same

Posted By: Biker Pat
Date Posted: 16-September-2018 at 18:55
Gerry my friend. I will not be there .
Keep tuned in here for where the guys are meeting up and etc..
If you go I can assure you of a great night among great folks.

-------------
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 16-September-2018 at 20:38
Ah that's a shame Pat - but as you say, expect to have a great night, I'll keep the eye out for the tickets ...

-------------

Date Posted: 17-September-2018 at 15:41
Gerry - most of the crew will be there I reckon.  You can get tickets (almost every year) from tickets.ie but I'm sure Andy will put up the details on here and on Facebook.  From memory, the tickets are €15 and approx. €1 for postage.

-------------

Posted By: joey the lips
Date Posted: 17-September-2018 at 15:47
Happy days Thumbs Up

-------------
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave

Date Posted: 17-September-2018 at 15:50
Cool Mel, thanks, would love to get along - I want to see what yis all look like Ah no, seriously, be great to meet up with some of the "crew", and excited to see what happens/hear the music etc. So I''ll do my best ...

-------------

Date Posted: 17-September-2018 at 16:00
you wont be disappointed RR,in the music department,,,,,,,,,,, as for the looks hahaha
Its a great night all around

-------------

Date Posted: 17-September-2018 at 17:15
Folks - I have edited the title of this thread to now display November 2018!

-------------

Date Posted: 17-September-2018 at 17:39
Excellent Joey! Yeah, I suspect youse all look roughly like me But no doubt the ladies will have worn better than us degenerates...

-------------

Date Posted: 19-September-2018 at 02:41
waiting myself for ticket info...

-------------

Date Posted: 19-September-2018 at 09:55
Just to double-check Sean: Is it Friday 16th Nov or Saturday 17th Nov. Think I've seen both dates in passing ...???

-------------

Date Posted: 19-September-2018 at 10:37
Sorry ignore above - Friday 16th for sure ...

-------------

Posted By: Pogue Mahoney
Date Posted: 19-September-2018 at 12:59
See...a quick glance at the title of the thread made me think it was November 18th, instead of November '18Confused

Date Posted: 19-September-2018 at 13:49
Fixed the title again...Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 19-September-2018 at 16:18
Thanks Mel

-------------

Posted By: monarch
Date Posted: 03-October-2018 at 14:48
The Grove Reunion '18

Abbey Tavern, Dublin

16/11/2018 20:30

https://secure.tickets.ie/Listing/EventInformation/39019/the-grove-reunion-18-abbey-tavern-16-November-2018" rel="nofollow - https://secure.tickets.ie/Listing/EventInformation/39019/the-grove-reunion-18-abbey-tavern-16-November-2018

-------------
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in

Date Posted: 03-October-2018 at 16:25
Cheers Frank, my ticket now ordered and paid for!
Let the anticipatory excitement begin !

-------------

Date Posted: 03-October-2018 at 20:58
Yay! Nice one Gerry.   

-------------

Date Posted: 03-October-2018 at 23:16

-------------

Date Posted: 04-October-2018 at 10:15
Looking forward to meeting up

-------------

Date Posted: 04-October-2018 at 18:39
Hey, you too Joey. Sorry so long replying, out working today from early, just home. I'm gonna try and get to Waterside first so might see you there. Or you can watch/listen to the radio show tomorrow, see what I look like. I'm gonna try get Lynn and Jen up to dance ... They'll probably kick me out ... But could be good craic !!! Dont tell them anything !

-------------

Date Posted: 05-October-2018 at 00:24
Haha - make sure you mimic Cecil's infamous words "And now we're gonna slow it down" before sticking on a slowie. Seriously, best of luck tomorrow Gerry - it's great craic, time will fly by. I'll be listening in and we'll all meet up in Howth next month as well.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-October-2018 at 09:19
Ah cheers Mel, very decent of you. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, the hard work is kinda done by now (ie the playlist is ready to go) - although it was really great fun, not hard work, putting the songs together ... But, respect to all the radio crews - trying to put something together covering 30 years, a whole lot of different genres of music, "big hits", lesser-known gems, etc, etc - is tricky to say the least (although I know you've already done it Mel). So we'll see! The talking bits I assume will be me just bullsh*ttin about going to the Grove, the Annes etc. I can imagine how my awful Dub accent will sound broadcast across the airwaves! But no, it has too much potential for craic to allow myself to get nervous or bothered etc - just gonna try really enjoy it! Thanks again for those words of encouragement Mel.   See you soon enough.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-October-2018 at 13:44
My reunion ticket landed safely today - yee-haa! Get ready ...πŸŽ©πŸ»πŸŽΌπŸ’ƒπŸ‘―

-------------

Date Posted: 05-October-2018 at 14:01
Good stuff ,,good luck with the radio show Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 05-October-2018 at 15:37
Cheers Joey, thanks a million for the good wishes. I was just thinkin - it'll kinda be like going to the Grove again for the first time since 1975 !!! Holy God Miley !

But the reunion will be that, multiplied by 1000 ! Is it a freaky feeling walking into the hall the first time I wonder ? Anyway, I'll find out soon enough !

Thanks again.   G.    

-------------

Date Posted: 05-October-2018 at 16:07
Break a leg ! .

-------------

Date Posted: 06-October-2018 at 00:03
Thanks a million Frank, back from the studio. I loved the experience I have to say, increases immensely my respect for the regular crew and what they do ... Thanks again

-------------

Date Posted: 06-October-2018 at 00:08

-------------

Date Posted: 06-October-2018 at 00:14
Fantastic show. Really brilliant (honestly). Fair play to you. Re walking back into the hall, it's no bother at all. My first reunion was 2006 and myself and another chap met up in the Car Park of the Sheiling hotel before venturing inside. We knew one or two old friends but everyone else was a stranger. Within a few minutes we all met loads of new friends and got chatting and we have been mates ever since. Personally speaking, I felt like I was returning to my spiritual home - there's no issues and everyone, of every generation, feels the way you do about the grove. Never thought I'd see the grove back since the "old days" but it is - I love it.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-October-2018 at 00:34
Ah thanks a million lads, you are really very kind. Maybe one of you might do a show with me or someone else? The crew are mad to have new people guesting, just makes the whole thing more interesting? We can plot this at the reunion!

-------------

Date Posted: 06-October-2018 at 22:05
the postman delivered my reunion ticket yesterday...for once I was happy to see him

-------------

Date Posted: 06-October-2018 at 22:12
Sean !

-------------

Posted By: Sister1
Date Posted: 06-October-2018 at 22:20
Gerry - it will be weird and wonderful for your first reunion next month. Like SHH, mine was in the Shieling in 2006. The RTE documentary aired the month before and unlocked a lot of memories and strangely got me thinking of going along. I've met some great people since that and not been to a bad night out, get together or reunion since. The Abbey Tavern is a great venue in my view - something about the vibe that is grove esque. The owner apparently went there too.

-------------
Keep it Local, Keep it Near!

Date Posted: 06-October-2018 at 22:36
Yeah, really looking forward to it Brian. I mean, REALLY looking forward to it. I have to be careful now, I have to mind I don't get too "excited" with the pints at the Waterside. It would be (as I was saying last night I think) a real irony (and a bit like some of the old Grove days!) if I staggered up to the Abbey Tavern to be told "not tonight son"!!! I would probably cry!    But that won't happen ... Defo not ...

Always liked the Abbey T, used to hang out round Howth as well as Clontarf etc in my teens. I was actually - with a pal of mine - interviewed by one of the Scott-Lennons, can't remember his first name, for Summer job there as lounge boy or whatever. The lad was very nice, but our hair was way too long and it was probably obvious we'd never done a days work in our lives then, and we weren't going to start in the Abbey

-------------

Date Posted: 07-October-2018 at 05:03
I'll be in the Waterside @ 7pm on the night,so see ye all then

-------------

Date Posted: 07-October-2018 at 15:10
Cool, Sean, can't wait ...

-------------

Date Posted: 07-October-2018 at 15:15
see you then Gerry

-------------

Date Posted: 07-October-2018 at 21:23
Yep, 7 bells it is for me as well at the Waterside. I'll hop on a Dart from Harmo (my folks still live on Brookwood Avenue and I'm staying there for the night).

-------------

Date Posted: 07-October-2018 at 21:25
Excellent Mel. I'm staying in one of my "safe houses" in Swords like the other night! Taxi out and back to Howth I guess ...

-------------

Date Posted: 08-October-2018 at 10:16
Sorry RR I missed your show on the radio I was out and about, by the sounds of things all went very well for you Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 08-October-2018 at 12:48
No bother at all Joey, you got a name check anyway! I listed out all my new Grove mates and thanked them for their welcome and friendship - in other words, the crew on here. Yeah, show went well, I'd like to hear it back, I know I can be an awful waffler when talking and I got a few "small hints" from family members that I might have droned on a bit in parts. Also, the Dubbalin accent - Jaysis. But overall happy with the thing, thanks for your support and good wishes beforehand. I threatened them that if they were"stuck", I'd do another one at some stage ... So you never know! Thanks again.

-------------

Date Posted: 08-October-2018 at 15:57
Yeah - on the guest thing, I'll probably head in again at some stage in the future - not sure when.  I know us lot on here on the website are a bit more dedicated to the Grove than the FB crew (I assume that's the case anyway) but there are thousands of Grovers on the main Grove FB page - you'd think there'd be a few volunteers from them to appear on the show - especially any of those that attend the reunions.  People may be a bit shy about being on air though.

-------------

Date Posted: 08-October-2018 at 16:10
That's true Mel, I suppose you can't force people to do these things, I know Peter was saying the same when he was involved, sure we'll see what happens down the line. Maybe the lads will come up with some brilliant ploy to entice people on to the show!

-------------

Date Posted: 09-October-2018 at 10:53
kidnapping might work

-------------

Date Posted: 09-October-2018 at 11:40
That could be the answer ok Sean !!! Other thoughts:

- See would Cecil ask for volunteers, next time he's on the show - or especially at the reunion - and get names/emails on the night; and/or

- Offer some kind of input into playlist development for a show ("give us your top 5 Grove tracks" without appearing on the show (might not be much help to the crew though) and/or

- offer people to come on the show and chat without them having to compile playlist? (Dunno if that would be attractive to anyone though?)

Just thought. Will rack brains a bit more ...

-------------

Date Posted: 09-October-2018 at 13:54
Gerry,we have covered most of those options...seems a lot of people are shy / nervous about going on radio,which is a pity,coz its great fun,as you now know

-------------

Date Posted: 09-October-2018 at 13:56
Yeah, it really is Sean ... Ok, back to straight-out kidnapping so

-------------

Date Posted: 09-October-2018 at 14:00
ha ha...I find it addictive,and hate when I cant do a show...but as I told the rest of the crew,the job that pays the bills takes priority ( unfortunetly )

-------------

Date Posted: 09-October-2018 at 14:04
The radio show has been running now since 2012.

I've done a few shows and I agree with Sean that's it great fun.

Bit of prep work needed but that's part of the vibe.

How many radio stations let you go on air with your own playlist?

The presenters of the show have asked people to come in over the six years but there has been little take up on the offer.

There are probably various reasons people don't want to be on the show as mentioned by Sean.

I would be interested to know what the listnership is for each show. Because if its low then there's unlikely to be much interest in guesting on the show.

Just my views.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 09-October-2018 at 14:09
P.s.

Just realised this is the Grove reunion thread.

Perhaps this discussion should be in the Grove Radio thread. πŸ€”

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 09-October-2018 at 14:10
I can imagine - there is certain amount of preparation time, time coming and going to the studio, the time taken by the show itself. If I wasn't living in Stradbally I'd offer myself up for the greater good - but certainly happy to do shows on and off if that helped (maybe I'll get an unpleasant surprise and the lads say "Ah no it's ok Gerry, we prefer yer man nobody" . The only other thing is try to get people to come along in pairs maybe, but beyond that I'm a bit stumped. I suppose talking on the radio is a bit like public speaking - and, apart probably from spiders!, I think public speaking is the thing most people are most afraid to do Anyway, no doubt something will turn up, as they say, to help with all this ...

-------------

Date Posted: 09-October-2018 at 14:13
Posted my reply there before I saw Pat's - you know me Pat, I don't know my thread from my elbow .

I'd say there was about a dozen family/non-Grove friends who listened cos I was on. Not a big number but every little helps I suppose ...

-------------

Date Posted: 09-October-2018 at 14:18
I don't think of the show as a public speaking exercise,its a small room with a few people chatting about what we love...music...I never know whats gonna come out of my mouth next when I'm on air...there lies the fun part

-------------

Date Posted: 09-October-2018 at 14:19
It doesn't matter Gerry.

I was just thinking if anyone was logged into the Grove Radio thread they may not see this excellent discussion under this thread.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 09-October-2018 at 14:20
Oh I know Sean, it's basically like a few mates in a room chatting - and that's exactly what it feels like, but maybe people don't realise that! I'm a bit the same re what's coming out of my mouth next, as you say that's part of the craic !!'

-------------

Date Posted: 09-October-2018 at 14:22
Yeah, sh*t Pat you're right - everyone will just think we're taking turns saying "looking forward to the reunion" or something! Right, whoever adds next we'll try go to the radio show thread ...

-------------

Date Posted: 09-October-2018 at 14:23
I love it Gerry,and I have done countless playlists over the years,and have enjoyed compiling the playlists...thankfully I've had a good music education,thanks to Cecil,and others,like Pat James on Nova

-------------

Date Posted: 09-October-2018 at 14:24
Agree Sean.

In fact you don't have to talk at all but once you're into the show the conversation flows naturally.

After all the presenters are not strangers but fellow Grovers.

And you guys in the studio make it very relaxing.

I loved doing the shows I did.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 09-October-2018 at 14:25
thanks Pat

-------------

Date Posted: 09-October-2018 at 14:30
Agree, agree, agree with everything you guys said. I actually love doing out the playlists. Every single band I've been in I looked for the job of doing the set lists - normally the other lads were delighted someone volunteering to do the "admin", but I think the order songs are played can be as important (if you get it right) as the actual songs themselves! Weird I know ...

Gotta put this down for a while, work to be done, me to do it, wifely inspection in a couple hours!!! I'll read what's come in since I've been typing this, but reply later this evening ok lads ..

-------------

Date Posted: 09-October-2018 at 14:33
I've moved to the radio show thread

-------------

Date Posted: 09-October-2018 at 14:39
Got it Sean. πŸ‘

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 16-November-2018 at 12:45
Wishing everybody a great music night at the Grove reunion.

Cannot make it as I'm on the other side of the world.

Rock on 🎸🎸🎸✌✌✌

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 16-November-2018 at 12:49
Cheers Pat, really sorry won't get to meet up tonight ... But soon! πŸ‘

Have a great time doing what you're doing, we will do the same this end.

Take care, be safe...

-------------

Date Posted: 16-November-2018 at 13:10
Somebody bring a camera. I want to see the famous Rahenyrhythm dance.

Wave arms madly HugFull stepStern Smile-step inLOL-step outSleepy-step back Pinch-to the sideApprove -full step Sleepy- step inWacko- step upLOL - step down Tongue.....(repeat 50 times)Approve

Date Posted: 16-November-2018 at 13:19
Lol Poguey - there's a variation in the middle, where I stand on one leg, Ian Anderson style, and wave me flute about! That usually depends on the number of drinkies consumed to that point though !!!

-------------

Date Posted: 16-November-2018 at 15:11
Enjoy yourselves all going tonight .

No doubt it will be a great night .

-------------

Date Posted: 16-November-2018 at 15:25
thanks Frank

-------------

Date Posted: 16-November-2018 at 15:58
And again, thanks Frank. Hope all OK your end...

-------------

Date Posted: 17-November-2018 at 05:16
From comments and photos on FB it looks like the reunion lived up to its usual high standards and everybody had a blast 🎸🎸🎸

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 17-November-2018 at 10:06
Pat, it was even better than I had hoped. A truly spectacular night, Mel looked after me the whole evening. Had an absolute ball, couldn't believe it when it was time to finish. I finally met Sean Duffy and Joey the lips. Nearly all too much to take in. Had a few words with Cecil at the end as well to cap it all. Brian, Lyn, Jen of course. And my new Mod pal Mark. Various other lovely ladies and gents. Discovered I could still duckwalk (well, a bit    ) What a night...to be continued!

-------------

Date Posted: 17-November-2018 at 12:07
Forgot to mention, met Rolo as well,who kept drinking my pints when I was up "dancing"! lol,joking of course, again lovely to meet another face behind the nickname...

-------------

Date Posted: 17-November-2018 at 12:14
Great stuff Gerry. Special nights alright. Ive said it before but in my view two key ingrediants to reunions. Great music and great people. Add to that the venue and its a winner.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-November-2018 at 12:20
Cheers Brian, you said it. Its the nearest I've coming to knowing the meaning of a "hive mind". I actually feel brilliant today. The " afterglow" of a brilliant, brilliant night is stopping any bit of an oul hangover that might be trying to develop...

-------------

Date Posted: 17-November-2018 at 12:22
And yeah Brian, as you were saying before, that room we were in is very "Grove-y" OK.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-November-2018 at 12:29
Very positive vibes there Gerry.
Knew you'd love it.
As I said before many times the Grove community is special and unique where everybody is bonded together through music and mutual friendship and respect.
Being a Grover is a special honour and age, musical generation and taste makes no difference.
We are one special community. Long may it continue.🎸🎸✌✌❀❀

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 17-November-2018 at 12:45
I'm getting the vibe myself all the way from the US...I say we elect Gerry as official Grove ambassador and petition Michael D. Higgins for free Belgrove soccer jerseys.Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 17-November-2018 at 12:58
Cheers lads. I'd happily take on that labour of love Poguey. Oh, I did my special dance with you in mind! One I haven't done in a long time - I duck-walked from one side of a big circle to the other - and back again! Without actually falling over !!! A sight to behold,the crowd laughed until they stopped!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 17-November-2018 at 13:40
great night as always,missed some faces,but nice meeting you Gerry... 2 reunions next year...keep an eye out for details

-------------

Date Posted: 17-November-2018 at 13:50
Why did the duck-walk from one side of a big circle to the other?

ans: One of its legs is both the same

HAH

Date Posted: 17-November-2018 at 16:37
Ha ha, that about sums it up Poguey!

Sean/SHH, yep great to meet up, will try get longer chat in next time. Delighted with twice-yearly gig, if the lads get it together. Was gas earlier, Annette my wife was asking me, in innocence "well, glad you enjoyed it, is that it so?" Me: "eh, no, I'll be going to more of them" Annette: "How many, like?" Me: "All of them" πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Ah no, she's sound really, might bring her along to one of them. I assume partners etc, even with a non-Grove history, are acceptable ...!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 17-November-2018 at 19:23
I hear there is a Snoopy's reunion planned. The bouncers on the door will not be letting anyone in.

Date Posted: 17-November-2018 at 23:23

-------------

Date Posted: 17-November-2018 at 23:36
Gerry,the Grove family welcomes everyone

-------------

Date Posted: 17-November-2018 at 23:40

-------------

Date Posted: 18-November-2018 at 11:52
Great night altogether lads - so glad you enjoyed it Gerry - I knew you would. I'm actually still a bit ropey this morning (I was in bits yesterday) but it was in a worthy cause...

-------------

Date Posted: 18-November-2018 at 12:51
Gerry you should absolutley bring your wife along. Mine didnt really go to the grove but loves the reunions. Its a good night even if you never went.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-November-2018 at 18:13
Cheers lads...Mel, I spent that much time eejitin round on the dancefloor I didn't drink a huge amount (very unusual for me, I can tell you)! and also I sweated some of it out ... Annette is actually quite keen to go to a Grove night - as you lads were saying before, she saw how much I really looked forward to it, then how much I really enjoyed it ...

...might get me round the "Easter Sunday" thing Mel! If Annette wants to go that night, I'm made up. She is a lovely, friendly person (obviously, if we got married!), will talk to one and all - more reserved than me but that wouldn't be hard and I think is real curious to meet these people I keep going on about ... she has a bit of πŸ™€πŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆ at my dancefloor antics, but sure so would I if I could see meself - that bleedin duckwalk nearly killed me altogether!   So you never know !

Mel, hope you feel better tonight/tomorrow ...

-------------

Date Posted: 18-November-2018 at 18:14
...and Brian thanks for the kind invite to Annette ... You could be meeting her yet !

-------------

Date Posted: 18-November-2018 at 19:30
Lucky you getting around the "Easter Sunday" restriction, if you do, Gerry. Thanks for the "get well soon" wishes as well, not sick or anything now - just have a bit of a pain in the tummy. I'll get over it.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-November-2018 at 20:42
πŸ‘πŸ˜Š

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net