Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stories from your childhood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 169>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2006 at 19:42

ok just thinking about a few things today!

Remember playing skipping?

"Down in the valley where the green grass grows where so n so washes her clothes,
she sang and she sang and she sang so sweet and she called for so n so down the street,
so n so, so n so will ya marry me,
yes sir, yes sir at half past 3 ect....

What about playing balls up again the back door
Plainy packet of rinco -
Downy packet of rinso,
Uppy packet of rinso

Did you remember in marbles the "steelie", the great big steel ball that nearly killed all the marbles, the bigger the better, or the gulliers - cant remember what the name was.....

"Piggy Beds" with a shoe polish tin filled with clay......

Edited by eejit91
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
Sponsored Links

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2006 at 05:42

Funny that Teresa,

Remember my sister and her friends doing something that involved hopping on one foot on numbered squares,drawn with chalk on the ground.

Also remember them singing something like " vote,vote,vote for De Valera " or something,while they were skipping.

Rolo.

Biker Pat View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2006 at 15:12
Originally posted by Rolo Rolo wrote:

Funny that Teresa,

Remember my sister and her friends doing something that involved hopping on one foot on numbered squares,drawn with chalk on the ground.

Also remember them singing something like " vote,vote,vote for De Valera " or something,while they were skipping.

Rolo.

I remember the girls singing that De Valera chant alright when they were skipping.

He was President at the time but I never dug the chant or what it meant.
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2006 at 15:25
[QUOTE=Ann Whelan]
Yes, it is amazing how places change in what appears to be such a short time. The first time that my next of kin came to Ireland I was trying to describe how it was like when we were small and growing up which actually sounded quite a contrast & contradiction to what he was actually seeing. There was the old Kilmore Road that we would take up to mass in St. David's each Sunday. My mother made me wear a little straw hat on my head that was held on via elastic & I loved walking thru what I remember as the narrow roads that led thru fields and swinging & doing somersaults on the fences a la carte and watching the cows. I thought I lived in the country as we were use to seeing cows and farm animals, tractors etc & the old Kilmore Road was the main road that we would walk up and down! We would go to see the other animals that were there behind the church after mass. Those were the days when women had to cover their head with a scarf or mantilla and a lady never wore trousers into a church. Sounds prehistoric now and yet I remember it all vividly. In the summer holidays we use to go up to St. David's church after it was no longer used as a house of God to see the James Bond movies.....buy as many sweets & treats as we could get and enjoy all the action of the movies. I remember when there was no Pinebrook, Elm mount, no Artane Castle, no Beaumont Hospital, none of all those housing estates. At the end of our road I remember seeing an episode of the Rioradans being filmed which was quite thrilling at the time & we got to see Bengy in de flesh!

Yo Ann,

Can relate to your post.

As I said before there was nothing North of Celtic Park.

I remember listening to the Artane Boys Band rehearsing for the All Ireland.

Remember Buggles Lane where all the young folk went courtin'

Buggles Lane ran from Beaumont Road, near that old Swiss style house, towards Cadbury's in Kilmore.

I remember helping the milkman deliver on whats now Oscar Traynor Road. There was only a few cottages there at the time.

Anybody ever hear of the practice whereby you could go to a pub outside a certain number of miles from your home and they had to serve you drink.

I remember my folks and neighbours used to go to Campions or Swiss Cottage after Belton's on Collins Avenue closed because these pubs were outside the city limits.

There was a name for this practice but it won't come to me.

Anybody know?

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2006 at 18:00
They got to drink for free?..they are the kind of traditions I like.

I remember well when the building started at the back of Whitehall, pre
Beaumont Hospital. I delivered milk for Dublin Dairies (1966). I had to scale
a big wall with a crate of milk at Beaumont Pub to deliver to the new houses
in Montrose. If you hopped over the wall it was all field until you reached
Ardleigh near the roundabout. It took years before that wall was removed to
allow access to the estate from Beaumont Road. Those houses surrounding
Montrose Grove cost 4,800 pounds when built. they jumped to about 7,000
when I got wed, I could only afford to rent one. I wonder how much they
would fetch today?
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2006 at 18:24

Now there's a few memories all right.My parent's house,where I grew up,is right at the Kilmore Road / Ardlea Road junction,right opposite where the old Pre Fab St.David's school used to be.Even when I was a kid ( 1966 - 1970) there were fields across from our house ,what is now Admore and Montrose.

Pogue,a standard 3 Bed in Montrose...................E 400,000 give or take.

Saw you went to Ciaran's primary,where after that ?

Pat what about you,where'd you go to school,betcha it was Joey's.

Rolo.

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2006 at 09:00
Originally posted by Rolo Rolo wrote:

Now there's a few memories all right.My parent's house,where I grew up,is right at the Kilmore Road / Ardlea Road junction,right opposite where the old Pre Fab St.David's school used to be.Even when I was a kid ( 1966 - 1970) there were fields across from our house ,what is now Admore and Montrose.

Pogue,a standard 3 Bed in Montrose...................E 400,000 give or take.

Saw you went to Ciaran's primary,where after that ?

Pat what about you,where'd you go to school,betcha it was Joey's.

Rolo.

You got it Rolo.

Scoil Mhuire first and on to Joey's. Class of 1971.

I remember what that practice of driving outside city limits for a drink was called.

Bona Fides. It's an old custom whereby a landlord had to open his tavern to you if you came knocking and were from a location a certain number of miles away. So you could be served but a local couldn't. People were driving all over the place for an extra gargle. No, the drink was not free and this was the time before drink driving laws came in and in fact there wouldn't have been a lot of cars on the road anyway.

Another memory is of the breadman from Johnson Mooney & O'Brien. His name was Alfie and he was a real Dub and he used to have great crack sl*gging me Ma when Dublin won the All Ireland in 1963. My Ma was from Galway. But she got her own back as Galway won 3 in a row 1964-1966.

Well Alfie bread cart was horse driven in those old days. I remember when the horse did a sh*te a woman 2 doors down used to run out with a shovel and scoop it up and put it on her roses. She had great roses !!! She f**king deserved to......

Anybody remember the knackers (they were called that in those days so no offence intended). They used to come round with a horse and cart shouting "rags for toys". You'd give them old clothes and they'd give you a little toy like you of those propeller things that blow in the wind.

Or making an igloo in the snow in the fields beside our home. We used to get a lot of snow back in those days.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Ann Whelan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann Whelan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2006 at 12:12
Enjoyed reading the trip down Memory Lane. Felt like I had just stepped out of the sequel to "Oliver" by Alfie McMorrow de 1st! It certainly seemslike we all grew up in a bygone age.  I use to love taking in the milk from the doorstep after it had snowed, and the cream on the top would be iced and real thick and extra creamy. I would remove the said cream of all three bottles of Jersey milk to pour over my Kellogg corn flakes! Also the extra thrill when I discovered that birds had been pecking at the foil lid on top ... those were the days when your milk came in bottles before we entered the disposable era. Even the rattle of the bottles being put on the doorstep had a certain appeal to it plus I knew exactly what time it was without opening an eyelid unless Premiere Dairies were running behind schedule. I also loved when the postman came twice a day with deliveries and you knew him by name before the bloody post office started farting around and changing the postmen by the week and cutting down deliveries to once a day.

On our road we had Paddy the vegetable man who was the king of spuds, greens & cooking apples. He patrolled the road in his beat up Morris miner on a daily basis selling his wares to the women on the road. He even had the little chrome weighing scales in the boot of the car to weight his cornucopia of fresh produce. Regardless of the weather be it spring, summer, autumn or fall, Paddy always sported a woolie knobbly ribbed hat & tweed jacket that both looked like they were handmade in the dark by his granny out on the Aran Islands somewhere pre- BC. I could never understand a word that he was muttering at top speed with his strong country brogue. All I do know is that for the full duration of Paddy's reign everytime that Paddy had an over flow of cooking apples, we were subjected to an overflow of none stop hot apple tarts. My mother was the worst person in the world to be told that she was getting a bargain as she could never refuse and I'd swear that half of what she bought was purely for the adrenalin rush!!! The same with the coal man, during the winter when the coal men came around selling that, our coal bunker outside in the back would be stacked high. Have to say now that I loved the fire crackers and the smell of them when you were starting a fire, plus the boiling water for the Saturday night baths... when we were kids. And the big bath towels coming from the hotpress which would be lovely and warm. Later on when the shower generation came into vogue the only problemo that we had in our house and I don't know if anyone else out there was subjected or a victim to this dilemma. But in our house if you were in the shower and someone went into the kitchen and switch on the cold tap then you would be burnt to a cinder in the said shower. If they switched on the hot tap than your body would be equally shocked with the artic waters that you would be subjected to. It never failed to mesmerize me how they would all sit on their derrières all day and never budge an ounce until they heard the sound of running water from upstairs and then it became like national lets make tea day or use the water in the kitchen as much as we can. I perfected a little bathroom skill where by the instant I was burnt or frozen, whichever the case may be, I would pound my right leg on the bath, scream and within seconds I would hear the familiar echo of my mother say "Turn off the water in the kitchen for Christ's sake! She is in the shower!" I was often surprised that she did not make a public announcement on RTE over it, but there you go!

Re; Alfies horse . I am sure your neighbour was most probably singing "Everything's coming up Roses" as she liberally shoveled de horse manure around her premium flora. Indeed our own garden here could do with a whole cart load of it as the place looks parched from the heat. Anytime we do get a consignment of it from the stables our dogs are elated and end up rolling in de clover as one would say. You can actually see them smiling as their tails wag at the mere prospect of the joy they intend in having with it.

I loved also when the ice cream van came around in the summer and as soon as you heard it from way down the road, you went into panic alert hoping that you would have time to go in plead with said parent that this ice cream was a real matter of a life and death situation.....I loved the little paper cup and wooden spoons...... Also loved when my parents went to the cinema ....they always brought home a carton of orange juice and a box of popcorn each for my brother and I. That orange juice tasted different to any other orange juice I ever tasted!! And the best!

Also have to say I always loved when the elderly gypsies called to the door and said they would do a reading if you crossed their hand with silver......... even if none of it was ever true it was a bit of unexpected excitement for the short while it lasted.Embarrassed

Ann
Sharon View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2006 at 13:12

Originally posted by Biker Pat Biker Pat wrote:

Buggles Lane ran from Beaumont Road, near that old Swiss style house, towards Cadbury's in Kilmore

Pat when we were kids we called the lane beside the piggery buggles lane as far as i recall the butcher..u remember him? was called Mr Buggle and thats why we called the lane buggles lane

i remember going into Mr Buggles the 1st day i went to school in donnycarney and telling him all about my day and him giving me loads of the butchers paper to draw on those were the days when u bought ur meat off a butcher and he wrapped it up in white paper,,use to hate it mind when said paper was marked with blood..yuck even know i hate red blood from meat hence me cremating everything i cook..lol

ah those were the days

Shar

All I wanted was chips!!
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2006 at 14:15
Originally posted by Sharon Sharon wrote:

Originally posted by Biker Pat Biker Pat wrote:

Buggles Lane ran from Beaumont Road, near that old Swiss style house, towards Cadbury's in Kilmore

Pat when we were kids we called the lane beside the piggery buggles lane as far as i recall the butcher..u remember him? was called Mr Buggle and thats why we called the lane buggles lane

i remember going into Mr Buggles the 1st day i went to school in donnycarney and telling him all about my day and him giving me loads of the butchers paper to draw on those were the days when u bought ur meat off a butcher and he wrapped it up in white paper,,use to hate it mind when said paper was marked with blood..yuck even know i hate red blood from meat hence me cremating everything i cook..lol

ah those were the days

Shar

Never knew that's where the name Buggles came from.

Re Ann's post above. I remember the same feelings re the milk bottles and the birds pecking at them.

I remember as well our neighbours used to leave keys in the fron doors when we were growing up.

Also the lines of washing on a Monday, always seemed to be a Monday. The old washing machines and the hand wringer for wringing out the water.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2006 at 14:21
Originally posted by Ann Whelan Ann Whelan wrote:

I loved also when the ice cream van came around in the summer and as soon as you heard it from way down the road, you went into panic alert hoping that you would have time to go in plead with said parent that this ice cream was a real matter of a life and death situation.....I loved the little paper cup and wooden spoons...... Also loved when my parents went to the cinema ....they always brought home a carton of orange juice and a box of popcorn each for my brother and I. That orange juice tasted different to any other orange juice I ever tasted!! And the best!

Mr Whippy used to come around our road.

I loved it when my parents went to Belton's, the pub on Collins Avenue. They'd always come home with fish and chips.

You ever been in a Bubble Car?

A guy 2 doors down from us had one and I remember he took me for a spin in Elmount. I was thrilled. Like you were sitting on the ground. And the big door at the front where you got in and out.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
aungier View Drop Down
72-78

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aungier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2006 at 11:36

I remember going to the cinema in Sutton Cross. It was a great cinema. It is now Super Quinn. I remember we used to hang around Sutton Cross in a house that is all blocked up but back in the 70's it was the place we would gather especially if the  weather was bad.

aungier View Drop Down
72-78

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aungier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2006 at 11:40

There was at one time in Raheny if I remember two vegtable men, one was Alfie Kelly from Avondale and the other was Paddy Darby from Assams. Alfie then changed and took up the ice cream van.

I remember the horse and cart delivering the milk and the best was the breadman. He would come up the road with the doors open and we would skut and at the same time nick a few cakes or a vienne roll.

I loved to tear the inside out and leave the crust. There was the jam jar man as well usually with a horse and cart. You never see those old horse and carts now especially the gypsy one. I loved them.

I remember there used to be some gypsies in Raheny, they were almost always scarred. I guess they have all but disappeared.

René

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2006 at 13:30
Originally posted by aungier aungier wrote:

There was at one time in Raheny if I remember two vegtable men, one was Alfie Kelly from Avondale and the other was Paddy Darby from Assams. Alfie then changed and took up the ice cream van.

I remember the horse and cart delivering the milk and the best was the breadman. He would come up the road with the doors open and we would skut and at the same time nick a few cakes or a vienne roll.

I loved to tear the inside out and leave the crust. There was the jam jar man as well usually with a horse and cart. You never see those old horse and carts now especially the gypsy one. I loved them.

I remember there used to be some gypsies in Raheny, they were almost always scarred. I guess they have all but disappeared.

René

Welcome Rene.

Good memories.

I remember playing Cowboys and Indians. Putting caps in the guns.

There was a lane around Celtic Park that used to flood some when it rained. Anyway we used to call this big puddle  the Rio Grands and anybody who ran through it was safe as they were in Mexico LOL

Running through the lanes kicking up dust just like in the movies and setting camp fire with stones. We didn't go as far as havin the beans though Wink

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2006 at 10:54

http://www.users.bigpond.com/kirwilli/games/games.htm

All go out here and have a read of this it is fantastic! it will drag you right back... there are some great stories out here about Johney 40 coats and bang bang... not to mention the stories of games we all played... oh to be that young again and appreciate it.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2006 at 17:33

Do you remember playing Doctor!!!!!Wink

Boys.. oh boysLOL

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2006 at 17:40
Originally posted by eejit91 eejit91 wrote:

Do you remember playing Doctor!!!!!Wink

Boys.. oh boysLOL

Sure do..........Wink

I knew I'd find a good use for girls dolls............Big smile

Was a good doctor and delivered many triplets............LOL

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2006 at 15:55
Playing Gaelic football on the road.

Taking the name of famous footballers. I was Paddy Doherty a famous player for Down in the 60's.

And then some grumpy fuc*er would take the ball on us when it went in his garden.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2006 at 16:59

We used to play kiss chasing down St. Anne’s - I always thought it would make me pregnant so I would pass the fella's on to my friends.... I still believe that

LOLLOLLOL....
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2006 at 14:13
Originally posted by eejit91 eejit91 wrote:

We used to play kiss chasing down St. Anne’s - I always thought it would make me pregnant so I would pass the fella's on to my friends.... I still believe that

LOLLOLLOL....

LOL, but I remember the girls in my time thinking the same LOL

Edited by Biker Pat

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 169>