Print Page | Close Window

Stories from your childhood

Printed From: The Grove Social Club
Category: Non Grove Related Stuff
Forum Name: Off Topic Forum
Forum Description: Discuss Anything off topic here - upcoming events etc.
URL: http://www.theGroveSocialClub.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=101
Printed Date: 29-April-2024 at 01:44
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Stories from your childhood
Posted By: Biker Pat
Subject: Stories from your childhood
Date Posted: 24-November-2005 at 09:05

Whilst reading through the stories behind peoples usernames I was laughing at Crusty's. He said he got his name from the crusts being taken off his bread.

It reminded me of when I was young and if we were sick me Ma would tuck you up in her bed, which always seemed more comfortable than your own, and would bring you up a boiled egg and bread with no crusts,like little soldiers.

Another time she's mash potatoes and cabbage together and put butter over it and run the fork over the food to make lines like a ploughed field. It was delicious.

Used to love being sick Wink

-------------
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Replies:
Posted By: eejit91
Date Posted: 24-November-2005 at 11:36

Ahh Pat what would we do without Mothers! I would come in from school sometimes and my Mam would make "hole in the middle" what might sound awful to some but it was potatoe and she would mash it up and make a wall out of it and put boiled milk in the middle with a little bit of butter - the object was to see how long you could get the wall to stand.  We loved it.  She would also give us tea and we would dip bread into it - what we would later call goody...

When I was sick I was also put into my parents bed, snuggled up. Loved thatBig smile.

My Dad worked for Guinness’s and would normally get home about 8 at night.  Mam would always send me in to ask him what he wanted for dinner and the answer would be "Plum Duff" or "Smadder molally and onions"... or if I said to him "what's that" he'd say "that's a diggery do for catching bladderhawks"... that normally shut me up.  Funny thing is I heard my brother saying that to his little fella not so long ago.. How the traditions carry on, it's wonderful.

We would all clean up with baths on Saturday night and then it was to the sitting room, lights off and The High Chapperal - Manolito sticks out in my mind.  I also remember watching Get Smart, Mission Impossible, Hawaii 50.  On the cartoon front it was Top Cat and Mr Magoo and the woody wood pecker and of course Me Mep The Road Runner.  Then there was wonderly wagon, The magic roundabout - Dougal... and a little older I remember Swap Shop on a Saturday Morning...

Christmas! I remember sitting at the base of the tree thinking it was so tall.  I would later find out it was only about 3ft... One Christmas I remember being led by the hand down the stairs by my older brother to find the best tea set ever.  I remember the days that we got those big stockings and the one thing we loved was the parachute man. I remember getting doll house furniture and cutting up a shoe box and making rooms out of it... what child would do that now.  I remember the paper dolls - so simple.  (I remember getting up one Christmas day and half the ham missing from my heard of brothers who returned home on a Christmas eve with a belly full of beer...)  We would eat a fine dinner and then Dad would set light to the pudding to which we would add brandy butter - yummy.  Then an evening of films - Oliver Twist, Annie get your gun and so on.  Boy we didn't get much but got everything!

In the summer since Mam was from Mayo and Dad from Kilkenny we would head off into the country for a couple of weeks - 8 of us pilled into the car.  Off to Mayo we would go, first stopping in the same restaurant in Longford every year for chips!! Then continue on our journey to Ballina - Castlecloghans actually out in the depts. of the west.  Pulling up I would spot my Granddad sitting at the window and then Grandma would appear to the door in delight to see her daughter.  Nearing the door was the smell of bacon and cabbage the best ever.  Grandma used to bath me in the old bath with legs in the middle of the stone floor kitchen... I remember her black booties and her navy smock and silver grey hair.  Granddad would sit me up on his knee and ask me to sing "Come by the hills" and out would come his wallet and a pound note would be handed to me.  I loved the smell of his pipe.  The one thing that sticks out in my mind was the out house and how I would wake up in the middle of the night and have to run out in the dark to the God forsaken outhouse...I remember going to the bog or going back the fields to bring in the cows for milking or climbing the walls of the castle across the road to find clay pipes. So many great memories in Mayo!

We would travel on then through Ennis and Cork staying a night in each place where aunts and uncles lived and then KILKENNY... yeah we loved Kilkenny. Going to the Hurley matches, playing pongo at the town festival and playing hand ball in the alley.  I learned how to swim in the local river.  I begged every year to be left there for the summer and when that time finally came boy was I made up.  We would sit in the kitchen until the early hours of the morning playing cards and it did not matter what time we went to bed we would always kneel to say the Rosary.   My aunt and uncle had a shop in Mullinavat at the house and they also sold milk to the locals that came straight from the milking parlor.  Sometimes we were sent for milk late at night to the parlor.  The roads were pitch black and we would tell ghost stories along the way - frighten the sh*te out ya.

Back to school then for another year.  Back to the house where the smell of brown bread and apple and rhubarb tarts were a trade mark of the Kelly household. Even when I went back to Ireland for my Mothers funeral what would I find upon entering the house but a fresh batch of brown bread she had baked before leaving for a weekend to Ashford Castle from which she would never return. Ya see she had won spin the wheel with Mike Murphy and part of her winnings was that weekend away.  She went out on a blaze of glory.

-------------
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."

Posted By: Kay Fagan
Date Posted: 24-November-2005 at 11:57

My mother never cooked think that is why none of us do either

We would have to wait till my Father came home from work and cook the dinner But it would me worth the wait He was a great cookBig smile

-------------
Kay Fagan

Posted By: Rolo
Date Posted: 24-November-2005 at 12:02

What's this,

A Raheny tradition or what ?

Eejit doesn't cook ,Ommelette excepted , Kay doesn't cook, maybe ye skipped all the Home Economics classes in M.H.

Rolo.

Posted By: Ann Whelan
Date Posted: 24-November-2005 at 15:47

Re: Ahh Pat what would we do without Mothers!

We wouldn't be here! Unless we waz concieved imaculato conceptionay a la carte if ye know wat I means!Amazing how many of the memories are food related!

My mother use to do the 'Soldiers' also and bring me up my breakfast in bed each morning during the holidays and on w/e's. One time in the days before we had a phone she had bought me a twin set of phones that were connected via a long wire and were battery operated. If you dialed a number the other phone rang and the little red light flashed. It was very exhilarating a la carte. The only setback was that you did not get the "Je T'aime" soundtrack answering service. I had one phone next to my bed and the wires were flung over the banisters and lead to the kitchen where I would dial down with my order. My mother  use to get up my wick each time that she answered the phone and with her newly acquired telephone voice where she would say "The Whelan Residence. Who is speaking please?". Naturally enough she always got a full blast of "Who do you think is speaking!" back at her. I would phone down putting in orders for freshly squeezed orange juice etc and she would be running up & down the stairs with trays of stuff! She got great exercise in those days.

My father also worked in Guinness's and in the summer as soon as I would hear the front door closing and he was off to work I would run into my parents room and jump into the bed next to my mother. I loved how the bed was still warm! Loved the luxury of lying there all snug and warm next to my mother. My brother and I use to use her bed as a trampoline and her lying in it! Great fun!

We use to go to the Guinness shows such as "Oliver" and the Swimming up by James St. Each year I use to enter the Guinness Safety First Competition for art and each year won prizes. At Christmas we were tres popular in de hood as my mother use to give out the free pint bottles of the black stuff to all the neighbours for the Christmas pudding making industry. My father would only ever drink draft and he use to give the freebies away all year long, except at Christmas when my mother dispatched them to all on the Crescent. Arthur G RIP. I also recall how on Christmas morning it was traditional that our neighbours called into the house and hot mince, pudding, Christmas cake, After Eights etc were all passed around. My mother would dish out large wine glasses of Harvey Bristol Cream Sherry to her friends still unaware of the shot measures. She would get the glasses and have them all on a crystal tray, if I asked could I have uno glass, she would stare me in the eye and say "Well just the one". When I saw all the glasses filled to de brim and next to them was a lone anorexic microscopic sherry glass semi full, I would daringly say to her "I suppose this one is for Mary!" Knowing full bloody well that one was intended for me! When she wasn't looking I refilled it. Several times!

When I was sick as in a cold, since I was rarely ill in my life, my mother use to make a bed for us on the sofa so that we could relax in the comfort and warmth of the living room and watch TV. She would put a small table next to us with hankies, Ribina, cough sweets, a large bar of Cadbury's milk chocolate and I remember one time she bought me a Yogi Bear book which I loved for years! To this day I can still remember the joy I got of looking thru the book at the colourful illustrations. I never forgot that book. When I was older and was sick, I remember she had to go into town and she came home with some singles for me "Lost Without your Love"-Bread and "Everyman must have a Dream"-Liverpool Express. My mother was quite good and could be let out in a record store! They were the "Golden Disc" days.  She loved Rod Stewart, John Lennon,  Cat Stephens, Bruce Springsteen, Rory Gallagher....and would buy their albums so I could live with that!!! As I always have claimed, it is all in de training, you really do have to train them well in the early stages. The funniest thing I ever remember was when "Rumors"-Fleetwood Mac was out I had that on the turntable for years with the repeat button pressed on. In my bedroom at home I had a life size mural of the front of that album on my wall and I use to love just hanging out in my room listening to the music, especially in the summer or before I went out when I was getting ready to go out. One weekend I had the music blasting away when my grandmother popped her head into my room and said and I quote "That is very nice music. Who is that playing?" I informed her that it was Fleetwood Mac and she nodded in approval and said "Very nice" before trotting back downstairs! Amazing the memories that stick in your head.

Re:My Dad worked for Guinness’s and would normally get home about 8 at night.  Mam would always send me in to ask him what he wanted for dinner and the answer would be "Plum Duff" or "Smadder molally and onions"... or if I said to him "what's that" he'd say "that's a diggery do for catching bladderhawks"... that normally shut me up.  Funny thing is I heard my brother saying that to his little fella not so long ago.. How the traditions carry on, it's wonderful.

I hope that some of the traditions in our house here are never passed on such as this one! One day whilst embarking on the dinner for my next of kin and de minors I decided to become creative with the presentation of the meal, which for me is nothing unusual as Tom Jones and his knicker collection would reinforce. In order to surprise the minors I decided to make the dinner resemble a little caricature face. So I did the mash potatoes in a round face shape, gave my little character Alpha Organic Beansprout Hair (Vidal Sassoon would have turned Eco friendly green had he seen this!), a beaming smile make out of McCann's sweet green peas, thin arched carrot strip eyebrows, cucumber eyes with dilated black olive pupils and a vegetarian sausage standing erect to resemble what I thought looked like a Pinocchio nose after a mega lying session. I had the table set beautifully and called everyone to the dine. Andres and Veacha, food addicts that they are came first to the table and their eyes were in awe as they looked at this culinary object d'art that was surprisingly awaiting them. I was standing there feeling snug as a bug at my Delia Smith Delights efforts until my next of kin arrived at the table, looked in wonder at what was on his plate and rather confused asked in monotone "What is this?" I told him to look, study the dinner and then tell me what he thought it was. Before I go any further may I just say that this man has no vivid imagination or is into the creative arts. Object de Farts would be more down his street but there you go. Each to his own.  He attempted to concentrate on the plate as Andres and Veacha's eyes glittered with delight watching him to see if he could guess correctly, just like they had. We were all channeling imaginary brain waves in his direction hoping for a miracle when suddenly he dashed all our dreams. He looked me in the eye and as serious as anything said and I do not jest, nor am I making this up. He said solemnly "It is a male Body part". Imagine!!!!! All he must have looked at was the said sausage because as I said to him looking at the extremely thin & wilting arched vegetarian sausage, if that is what a 'male body part' looks like then I have been living in de dark for decades. It just shows the perverted mind I married! Thank God his reply was wasted on de minors and they got the greatest of joy out of telling him what everything was, as in eyebrows, hair, teeth,  nose (male body part)....later on I summonsed him over to de sink where I questioned him privately as to the whereabouts of the said testicular missing section that should have accompanied the said lone sausage. Needless to say he was left speechless ......

Gosh you could write volumes on this topic .... love hearing other people's fond or funny memories I must admit!

-------------
Ann

Date Posted: 24-November-2005 at 17:42

Hi Ann

Love all your stories

We had some traditions in our house on Christmas morning My Father would get up early and have the fire lit when we all came down and we open Santa Presents.He would cook a great big BreakfastThen we go to Mass and after we would have to go to our Grandparents house in a huff As all we wanted to do is stay at home and play with all our toy's

As we all got older and moved away we all still had to wait till we were all together to open all the presents on Christmas

-------------
Kay Fagan

Date Posted: 24-November-2005 at 17:43
Between Simon Le Bon missing one and my next of kins dinner missing both ...Confused ...

-------------
Ann

Date Posted: 24-November-2005 at 17:45

Hi Rolo

How right you are Home Economics Classes where a load of Bull in M.S

-------------
Kay Fagan

Date Posted: 24-November-2005 at 18:20
My mother use to take us into Cleary's each year to see Santa and visit wonderland there. I loved queuing up by the main stairs and the excitment as you moved a little further on down in the line nearer to Santa's grotto. When we eventually got to Santa I'd hid behind my mothers in tears...was very shy as a child.... I loved getting the presents tho! I made my poor mother (RIP) take us into every Santa in town and proceeded to do the waterworks scenario at each one. The best presnt for Christmas that I ever got was a dolls house.....I never recovered from the joy of that. After I left college and started working the first thing I did was buy a collectors piece Georgian Dolls house....it has about 15 rooms.....spent all my wages on decorating it ....bought another Tudor style Dolls house in Browne Thomas another year for myself for Christmas.......I could spend years in Dolls House shops.........................Embarrassed Talk about tradition. Last year I bought my then 3yr old daughter Veacha the most beautiful dolls house.....it lit up, had a doorbell that when you rang the bell, the bell rang and a dog barked.....it was magical or so I thought. She had not got it 24hrs, and had removed the roof, double glazing windows, doors and patio doors, removed all the mechanical mechinism so that nothing worked.....to this day I still cannot talk about it. I will be seeking therapy next week with Dr. PhilEmbarrassed

-------------
Ann

Date Posted: 25-November-2005 at 04:30

Didn't think I'd have anything to contribute to this topic but when Ann mentioned Christmas and her grandmother in the same post it got me thinking.

As kids,we'd invariably spend Christmas Eve,Christmas Day and St.Stephen's Day at my Grandmother's house ( I'd say 'til I was about nine )  ,the highlight of which was her annual Stephen's night Party 'cos we were allowed stay up real late.Also remember Grandad cooking the traditional fry up at about seven on Christmas morning.

I remember the first year we spent Christmas at home,panicking in case Santa wouldn't realise that we weren't at the Granny's gaff anymore.

Same Granny used rent a cottage in a small fishing village in East Cork every August and the three of us and my three cousins would spend the whole month there being looked after by Granny,Grandad and a couple of Great Aunts and Uncles.This went on for about 10-12 years ,reckon I went from about aged 5 'til 16. My sister made some really good friends during these years and still keeps in touch with them. ( I was just a moody,unsociable little brat.)

I've tried to instill the same sense of responsibility into my own old pair,( I mean imagine being able to dispose of the kids for a whole month and them having the time of their lives ) but to no avail.

Having said that though,they're quite good on the babysitting front.

Anyway,that'll do for the moment.

Lenny, you'll have nothing to contribute to this topic,seeing that you're still in your childhood.

Rolo.

Date Posted: 25-November-2005 at 10:43

Teresa,

You're kidding, you mean your Aunt won a big prize on spin the wheel, went to Ashford Castle and actually died there. How old was she ?

That's an amazing story altogether.

Rolo.

Date Posted: 25-November-2005 at 10:48
No not my Aunt my Mom.   Yep she got to spin the wheel and won a couple of other things.  She brought her sister over from England and they both went there for the weekend.  She even sent me a postcard which I received after I got back from her funeral!! My Mother was 71.  They had a great time there, my cousin came to pick them up on the Sunday and bring them to Ballina for a few days but she had the heart attack that night.

-------------
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."

Date Posted: 25-November-2005 at 10:54

Teresa,

For once I'm speechless.

With both mine still alive can't imagine.

Rolo.

Date Posted: 25-November-2005 at 11:02

Rolo if only you had seen the church at both of their funerals, now you know Raheny church is big, well there was no parking in Raheny at all.  There could be no better tribute than that.  Mam died July 4th and I remember flying out of New York and the fire works going off over the hudson!!! Such is life...  Your lucky to have both of your parents, I say that to everyone who has.  Treasure them.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-November-2005 at 11:07

Yeah, funny isn't it.

When you're a kid,you rely on them for everything and here we are at 40+ still asking them to help us out with babysitting and stuff.

You'd think they'd done their bit at this stage and should be entitled to the bit of relaxation.

Having said that,they wouldn't have it any other way, 'specially the oul fella. He'd bring the older lad golfing a fair bit which he enjoys.

You said Martin was a golfer, did he play here before the big move ?

Rolo.

Date Posted: 25-November-2005 at 11:11

Martin played on and off when at home but was a big soccer player, playing for Olten and then Lusk UTD. 

Took up golf big time when he came here and holds a 4 handicap.  He has a standing tee time every Sunday.

I'm a very understanding wife!

-------------

Date Posted: 25-November-2005 at 11:16

No only asking 'cos I've been in St.Annes for a good number of years.

Never got anywhere 4 though. 13 was the best I've managed.

You ever try it ?

Rolo.

Date Posted: 25-November-2005 at 11:19
Now and then - don't care much for it.  Get fed up of chasing a ball around after about 6 holes.  We live on a golf course, Martin plays with the lads and I SHOP!!!! I have about 2 handicap in that department!!!!Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 25-November-2005 at 11:24

That's like the old joke 'bout the fella who's Credit Card was stolen but never reported it to the Gardai 'cos the thief was spending less than his wife.

Has he ever got to Scotland to play,now there's a treat for a keen golfer.

Rolo.

Date Posted: 25-November-2005 at 11:27
No but I am sure he would love to - he's been to the Carolinas alright and when we go home my brothers grab him away normally to the country for a few days.  Seems like we always pick the perfect time to go home to blend with a golfing weekend my brothers have planned.... by the way coming home in May by the looks of things - see perfect golfing time - he really wants to go to the Rider cup....

-------------

Date Posted: 25-November-2005 at 11:31

But Ryder Cup's in September.

As mentioned previously,I've a mate in Edinburgh ( remember 40th Kilt etc.) so I hop over quite a bit and have got to several of the famous championship venues. All magic and good value at certain off peak times.

Actually got to St.Andrews on the Monday after Tiger won the Open this summer.The grandstands and scoreboards were still up.

Rolo.

Date Posted: 25-November-2005 at 11:33
Yep so what I mean is if there is any chance of him getting tickets for that it will be more like September than May.  I sent away for lottery tickets for the Rider cup just after the last one here.  I also wrote to them... The things we do...

-------------

Date Posted: 25-November-2005 at 11:39

Ah right,sorry.

So potential EGM of ( can't remember what I called it on the other thread ) The Hopelessly Addicted Senior Forum Members ......... whatever could be a runner then ?

This is like when you were a kid on the phone " You hang up first " etc.

See ya later. Defo this time.

Rolo.

Posted By: Stevie
Date Posted: 27-November-2005 at 11:25

Hi Eeejit91,

Actually had tears in my eyes reading about your Mom, how terrible for you -but what a way to go...I'm lucky too, we've had some close situations but both parents are here 73 & 75 respectively and I depend on them a lot.

As for Lenny, we shouldn't be talking about things that are too advanced for him..sure he still belives in Santy...schuuuh

Stevie

Date Posted: 27-November-2005 at 13:37
Yeah Lenny, what is Santy bringing you for Christmas. 

-------------

Posted By: Lenny3fingers
Date Posted: 28-November-2005 at 03:52
Originally posted by Rolo Rolo wrote:

Lenny, you'll have nothing to contribute to this topic,seeing that you're still in your childhood.

Rolo.

jealousy will get you no where! :)

-------------
work. the curse of the drinking classes!

-----grover 90 - 96 ish------

Date Posted: 28-November-2005 at 03:56

Originally posted by eejit91 eejit91 wrote:

No not my Aunt my Mom.   Yep she got to spin the wheel and won a couple of other things.  She brought her sister over from England and they both went there for the weekend.  She even sent me a postcard which I received after I got back from her funeral!! My Mother was 71.  They had a great time there, my cousin came to pick them up on the Sunday and bring them to Ballina for a few days but she had the heart attack that night.

dont want to sound insensitve or anything eejit, but it sounds like she was having a great time before she passed, and didnt suffer!

i lost my father a couple of years ago tocancer and it was a horrible way to go. also lost my younger brother (22) last year which was also pretty rough.

he never got to go to the grove, but would have absolutely loved it. we are bringing his girlfriend to the grove on the 27th!

-------------

Date Posted: 28-November-2005 at 03:59

Yeah Lenny, what is Santy bringing you for Christmas. 

hopefully a nice honda crf450! but probably not :(

-------------

Posted By: xgrovehead
Date Posted: 28-November-2005 at 05:28

Jaysus,

What a first post for me to pick on after a week off the site.

Sitting here in work reading all this with tears in my eyes.  Teresa - god rest her as Lenny said it sounds like she had a great time at the end and at least it was quick.

Bit over emotional, close aunt is having tests at the mo and its not looking good, but thats life isn't it.

Lovely memories of childhood from you all, I'll try and post later if I'm feeling less teary!

xgh

-------------
We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors, we have only borrowed it from our children.
-Ancient Proverb.

Date Posted: 28-November-2005 at 05:30

my earliest childhood memory was last week :)

seriously, i was about 5, it was my birthday and i walked into my mam and dads bedroom. my dad was showing my cousin his trainset, that he wouldnt show me cos id wreck it (i wrecked everything as a kid) so of course, i ended up getting the trainset and wrecking it.lol

-------------

Date Posted: 28-November-2005 at 12:51
Originally posted by Stevie 
<P>Hi Eeejit91,</P>
<P>Actually had tears in my eyes reading about your Mom, how terrible for you -but what a way to go...I'm lucky too, we've had some close situations but both parents are here 73 & 75 respectively and I depend on them a lot. Stevie

Hi Eeejit91,

Actually had tears in my eyes reading about your Mom, how terrible for you -but what a way to go...I'm lucky too, we've had some close situations but both parents are here 73 & 75 respectively and I depend on them a lot. wrote:

Thanks Stevie it was the best way to go and I would see it no other way.  Keep enjoying your parents, it's great to have them.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-November-2005 at 12:56

Originally posted by Lenny3fingers Lenny3fingers wrote:

dont want to sound insensitve or anything eejit, but it sounds like she was having a great time before she passed, and didnt suffer! 

Lenny not insensitive at all - the best way it could ever have went for us and we know that.  I am so sorry to hear of your Dad, my own Dad had a pretty rough end.  Terrible thing to see.  I was only 18.  Then to hear of your brother - gosh what a loss.  My story was never supposed to be sad just interesting at the end.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-November-2005 at 02:23

My story was never supposed to be sad just interesting at the end.

its still sad to loose a loved one no matter how they go. It was interesting, and im glad your mother had a good time before she moved on.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-November-2005 at 08:42

My Ma and Da used to lock the door on Christmas morning so we couldn't see what Santa brought. They'd leave the curtains open a bit in the front of the house so we could see the presents as we went to Mass !!. In Mass you couldn't think of anything but what was in those presents.

Then they'd leave a plate with some Christmas cake crumbs and an empty bottle of Guinness.

My Da would shout on Christmas morning "He came !!!" .

God, the excitment of it all.

I used do the same with my 2 lads.

Do you all remember the games you played when kids.

Who remembers Releaveo where you had sides and you'd be chased and if caught had to stand until one of your team came and releaved you.

Or Rounders. Cowboys and Indians. Marbles. Conkers.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 29-November-2005 at 08:45

Yeah Pat,

My kids still play it,only now it's called " Kick the Can " or something.

Sure, we still do the Carrot and Whiskey bit for Santa,though the small fella's starting to get a bit suspicious.

What about Red Rover ?

Rolo.

Date Posted: 29-November-2005 at 08:51

Yeah Pat,

My kids still play it,only now it's called " Kick the Can " or something.

Sure, we still do the Carrot and Whiskey bit for Santa,though the small fella's starting to get a bit suspicious.

What about Red Rover ?

Rolo.

Yeah, Red Rover............I remember the name but how did it go?

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 29-November-2005 at 09:11

There was broken statues, aunts and uncles, Pussy 4 corners, witches in the well, good angels and bad angels, Red Rover, Relieveo, curb, marbles, concors, 5 asides, tying the rope around the tree and that would be the place to hang out for the summer.  Kiss chasing down St. Anne’s park.  ahhh those were the days.

Sally may we cross the golden water, remember that.  Gosh I remember my mam and dad going to England and bringing me back new “dare I say it” knickers with big splashes of color on them - they were the bee’s knees.  Anyhow we would play "Sally may we cross the golden water" and then they would say” not unless you have the color lets say red.  Well I would always drag up me dress and say "I have" - those knickers we great -EXCEPT- I had about 20 pairs of them and someone would always say " you had those knickers on ya yesterday"... of course I would roar back at them I have about 20 pairs of them - they must of been giving them out free on the boat... I would go running off in tears....

Do you remember the sweets, dodger bars and winger bars, trigger bars and snowballs, milk teeth...?

I remember two dogs getting stuck together as we thought!!! So young and innocent.  Well I remember a gang of us standing there going it's a dodger bar and someone else saying no it's a winger bar! Only because there was a wrapper off a bar stuck to one of the dogs arses... until someone came out with a bucket of water!!! Oh the stories could go on for ever....

-------------

Date Posted: 29-November-2005 at 09:16

There was broken statues, aunts and uncles, Pussy 4 corners, witches in the well, good angels and bad angels, Red Rover, Relieveo, curb, marbles, concors, 5 asides, tying the rope around the tree and that would be the place to hang out for the summer.  Kiss chasing down St. Anne’s park.  ahhh those were the days.

Sally may we cross the golden water, remember that.  Gosh I remember my mam and dad going to England and bringing me back new “dare I say it” knickers with big splashes of color on them - they were the bee’s knees.  Anyhow we would play "Sally may we cross the golden water" and then they would say” not unless you have the color lets say red.  Well I would always drag up me dress and say "I have" - those knickers we great -EXCEPT- I had about 20 pairs of them and someone would always say " you had those knickers on ya yesterday"... of course I would roar back at them I have about 20 pairs of them - they must of been giving them out free on the boat... I would go running off in tears....

Do you remember the sweets, dodger bars and winger bars, trigger bars and snowballs, milk teeth...?

I remember two dogs getting stuck together as we thought!!! So young and innocent.  Well I remember a gang of us standing there going it's a dodger bar and someone else saying no it's a winger bar! Only because there was a wrapper off a bar stuck to one of the dogs arses... until someone came out with a bucket of water!!! Oh the stories could go on for ever....

Sweet cigarettes Wink

The original Tayto with the salt satchet in it.

Penny bars

Getting a rifle for Christmas and putting caps in it.

We used to play a game where we'd put up fences and pretend we were horses in the Aga Khan cup and we'd have 3 faults for a refusal and four for fence down etc..

Who remembers Bubble Cars ?

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 29-November-2005 at 09:22

Yeah Pat we used to do the Aga Khan cup thing also!!! now your talkin....

-------------

Date Posted: 29-November-2005 at 09:53

Jaysus Teresa,

Knickers again...............................................

Is there anything you need to tell us ?

Rolo.

Date Posted: 29-November-2005 at 09:58

Yeah there just not as small as they used to be!!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 29-November-2005 at 10:04

She never used to wear them It is all new to her

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

-------------
Kay Fagan

Date Posted: 29-November-2005 at 10:14

Absolutely brilliant Kay,

Should be in the jokes section.

Anyway,thanks for the congrats 'bout the other thing and as I said yesterday once you two start with the girlie business I'm outta here.

Rolo.

Date Posted: 29-November-2005 at 10:16

Where are you going tonight

Hope it is somewhere nice Wink

-------------
Kay Fagan

Date Posted: 29-November-2005 at 10:18

I'm not stooping to your level!

-------------

Date Posted: 29-November-2005 at 10:20
He's going to find a new plastic chair and somewhere else he can call the compond - compond interest!!!!!!Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 29-November-2005 at 10:45

Oh yes you are,

Was going to say not a plastic chair but a high stool,

but the implications and connotations will prevent me from doing that.

Not sure where we'll go but be sure I'll let ye all know in due course.

( Maybe )

Rolo.

Date Posted: 29-November-2005 at 11:00
Have a ball where ever you go and don't drink to much Wink

-------------
Kay Fagan

Posted By: xgrovehead
Date Posted: 30-November-2005 at 15:01

On childhood,

The excitment of Christmas morning and having to wait until everyone was out of bed to go down and check what Santa had brought (and that included the ones who'd been out the night before and had heads on them!).  THe worry the year Santa decided to leave the presents in the living room instead of the dining room as usual and we thought he'd forgotten us until Dad opened the door of the living room and said de dah.  We did the Christmas cake thing too, but Santa only drank lemonade in our house!  He left the whiskey for the visitors.

When we were sick we'd get 7up (which we never had normally except for Christmas) and loads of attention.  When we were starting to eat again, we'd get potato and milk for tea.

Watching the magic roundabout when I was very small, and wanderly wagon, which incidently RTE have released for Christmas on dvd and video.  (they've released Bosco as well but they can keep him)

Saturday night - bath night and being allowed stay up to watch the Late Late, and eat peanuts.

-------------
We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors, we have only borrowed it from our children.
-Ancient Proverb.

Date Posted: 07-December-2005 at 09:21

Yeah Pat we used to do the Aga Khan cup thing also!!! now your talkin....

Celtic Park was real rural when I was growing up in the 60's. No Elm Mount and nothing north till Coolock.

Loads of little lanes and fields and a river.

So we used to make homes in the trees.

Remember Rowan and Martin Laugh In.......a tree by Henry Gibson

News that wouldn't be the news........here's Dickie

The Virginian, The Fugitive (original) Get Smart, Green acres, Batman, the Monkees.

Playing football against the pole.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 07-December-2005 at 09:25
jumpers for goalposts, aye pat? :)

-------------

Date Posted: 08-December-2005 at 10:13

Originally posted by Biker Pat Biker Pat wrote:

Celtic Park was real rural when I was growing up in the 60's. No Elm Mount and nothing north till Coolock.

Hey Pat,

Just wondering did you know my cousins from Celtic Park.

Bowers was the name, Peter and Monica probably 10 - 12 years older than me,so possibly around your age.There were a couple of younger ones as well Rory and Helen,nearer my age.

They lived on the left hand side of the road between Collins Ave. and where Elm Mount Ave. is now , almost opposite Collins Park turn.

Rolo.

Date Posted: 19-December-2005 at 08:56

Originally posted by Lenny3fingers Lenny3fingers wrote:

jumpers for goalposts, aye pat? :)

And arguing if the ball was in or not Smile

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 19-December-2005 at 08:57

Hey Pat,

Just wondering did you know my cousins from Celtic Park.

Bowers was the name, Peter and Monica probably 10 - 12 years older than me,so possibly around your age.There were a couple of younger ones as well Rory and Helen,nearer my age.

They lived on the left hand side of the road between Collins Ave. and where Elm Mount Ave. is now , almost opposite Collins Park turn.

Rolo.

Yeah I remember Monica, I think.

She was real cool and wore leathers etc.. I think she was a biker.

Whatever happened to her?

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 19-December-2005 at 09:00

That's her Pat,

Tell you the truth,not sure where she is now.

Know she went to England about twenty years ago and got married.

Beyond that can't say. Close family ya see.

Rolo.

Date Posted: 19-December-2005 at 09:06
i allways remember everyone wanting to be brzil or argentina when playing world cup in the green in front of the house.....

-------------

Date Posted: 21-December-2005 at 06:24
Yes, it is amazing how places change in what appears to be such a short time. The first time that my next of kin came to Ireland I was trying to describe how it was like when we were small and growing up which actually sounded quite a contrast & contradiction to what he was actually seeing. There was the old Kilmore Road that we would take up to mass in St. David's each Sunday. My mother made me wear a little straw hat on my head that was held on via elastic & I loved walking thru what I remember as the narrow roads that led thru fields and swinging & doing somersaults on the fences a la carte and watching the cows. I thought I lived in the country as we were use to seeing cows and farm animals, tractors etc & the old Kilmore Road was the main road that we would walk up and down! We would go to see the other animals that were there behind the church after mass. Those were the days when women had to cover their head with a scarf or mantilla and a lady never wore trousers into a church. Sounds prehistoric now and yet I remember it all vividly. In the summer holidays we use to go up to St. David's church after it was no longer used as a house of God to see the James Bond movies.....buy as many sweets & treats as we could get and enjoy all the action of the movies. I remember when there was no Pinebrook, Elm mount, no Artane Castle, no Beaumont Hospital, none of all those housing estates. At the end of our road I remember seeing an episode of the Rioradans being filmed which was quite thrilling at the time & we got to see Bengy in de flesh! I also remember pre the big supermarket/shopping mall era when the small shops at the top of our road was where my mother did all our shopping; O' Sullivan's Chemist, Ralph's Green Grocery, Lloyds Butchers, Val O' Connors Sweetshop (where each year I got an ice cream Birthday Cake for my birthday! Vanilla) & the A1.....I remember them all before they all got the Protective Falls Road Metal shutters and when a shop closed the doors were just shut and the "closed" sign put on it. Those were the days that I recall were almost like a social event going to the shops, where people had time to talk to each other. Once the summer came most of the women on our road were all out either cleaning windows, planting flowers, painting the gate pillar boxes or cutting the grass and there was always time to engage in some neighbourly chat. Now half of our neighbourhood has erased their gardens and tarmacked or tiled their gardens to accommodate a fleet of cars & eliminate the chore of grass cutting & garden maintenance....The same with schools ....my mother walked down to the school at separate times to bring and collect my brother and I. When we would come out of school she was there religiously waiting in the same spot each day. All the mothers would chat and walk down the road together ......I am actually experiencing a bit of a social shock here when I go to collect our duo from school as the parents all arrive via car to deport or retrieve their offspring & there is no time for more than a swift hello or greeting ........

We loved Get Smart, Wanderly Wagon, Pippy Longstockings, Here's Lucy, Shirley Temple movies, Marcus Welby MD, The Flintstones (Wilma was my role model!),The Ghost & Mrs Muir, Laurel & Hardy early each morning on the summer holidays, Armchair Thriller on a Saturday night and the theme music use to frighten the living sh*te out of us! I loved watching Rolf Harris when he did his art on Tv  ... We also loved my favourite, Witchy Pooh singing 'Oranges Poranges, whose there?"....H.R Pufinstuff with Jack Wild. I nearly had a fatal cardiac arrest here about 3 years ago when I saw a replay of one of those shows ....I felt deranged with joy when I saw it on the silver screen & nearly passed out completely when I saw what a young embryo Jack Wild was! I was stunned as when I was a minor engrossed in the programme I always thought he was a big grown up man! Enjoyed doing the harmonies with all the songs ..... And I loved the "Twinkle" magazine & Quavers. My hero was Yogi Bear and I still have a great fondness for him.

-------------
Ann

Date Posted: 21-December-2005 at 06:30

yeah - it just seemed so much more innocent back when i was gorwing up (80). Wether we were just shielded from the real world or ireland was a much friendlier place back then Im not sure. I think that maybe it was a mixture of both.

the worlds going mad (but im sure the previous generation said that about our generation and so on.)

-------------

Date Posted: 21-December-2005 at 08:20

Hi Ann,

Remember all of that stuff,but ya forgot the Chipper. Maybe you were into the healthy stuff back then as well,but surely you popped into the Alpine now and then for the old Fresh Cod and Chips.

Sweet shop's gone now,incorporated into the A1,though you probably know that.

Sister was in school with one of the Ralph girls who incidentally,brought my cousin to her Debs.

Remember going to see Blazing Saddles in the church / cinema sometime in the 70's.

D'ya remember Alias Smith and Jones,that was my favourite telly programme.

See ya,

Rolo.

Date Posted: 21-December-2005 at 09:31

blazing saddles was a classic movie! briliant.

I actually remember the shop[ beside the a1, so it mustnt be gone that long rolo. I hung around down that way during my grove days

-------------

Date Posted: 28-February-2006 at 19:42

ok just thinking about a few things today!

Remember playing skipping?

"Down in the valley where the green grass grows where so n so washes her clothes,
she sang and she sang and she sang so sweet and she called for so n so down the street,
so n so, so n so will ya marry me,
yes sir, yes sir at half past 3 ect....

What about playing balls up again the back door
Plainy packet of rinco -
Downy packet of rinso,
Uppy packet of rinso

Did you remember in marbles the "steelie", the great big steel ball that nearly killed all the marbles, the bigger the better, or the gulliers - cant remember what the name was.....

"Piggy Beds" with a shoe polish tin filled with clay......

-------------

Date Posted: 01-March-2006 at 05:42

Funny that Teresa,

Remember my sister and her friends doing something that involved hopping on one foot on numbered squares,drawn with chalk on the ground.

Also remember them singing something like " vote,vote,vote for De Valera " or something,while they were skipping.

Rolo.

Date Posted: 01-March-2006 at 15:12

Funny that Teresa,

Remember my sister and her friends doing something that involved hopping on one foot on numbered squares,drawn with chalk on the ground.

Also remember them singing something like " vote,vote,vote for De Valera " or something,while they were skipping.

Rolo.

I remember the girls singing that De Valera chant alright when they were skipping.

He was President at the time but I never dug the chant or what it meant.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 01-March-2006 at 15:25
[QUOTE=Ann Whelan]
Yes, it is amazing how places change in what appears to be such a short time. The first time that my next of kin came to Ireland I was trying to describe how it was like when we were small and growing up which actually sounded quite a contrast & contradiction to what he was actually seeing. There was the old Kilmore Road that we would take up to mass in St. David's each Sunday. My mother made me wear a little straw hat on my head that was held on via elastic & I loved walking thru what I remember as the narrow roads that led thru fields and swinging & doing somersaults on the fences a la carte and watching the cows. I thought I lived in the country as we were use to seeing cows and farm animals, tractors etc & the old Kilmore Road was the main road that we would walk up and down! We would go to see the other animals that were there behind the church after mass. Those were the days when women had to cover their head with a scarf or mantilla and a lady never wore trousers into a church. Sounds prehistoric now and yet I remember it all vividly. In the summer holidays we use to go up to St. David's church after it was no longer used as a house of God to see the James Bond movies.....buy as many sweets & treats as we could get and enjoy all the action of the movies. I remember when there was no Pinebrook, Elm mount, no Artane Castle, no Beaumont Hospital, none of all those housing estates. At the end of our road I remember seeing an episode of the Rioradans being filmed which was quite thrilling at the time & we got to see Bengy in de flesh!

Yo Ann,

Can relate to your post.

As I said before there was nothing North of Celtic Park.

I remember listening to the Artane Boys Band rehearsing for the All Ireland.

Remember Buggles Lane where all the young folk went courtin'

Buggles Lane ran from Beaumont Road, near that old Swiss style house, towards Cadbury's in Kilmore.

I remember helping the milkman deliver on whats now Oscar Traynor Road. There was only a few cottages there at the time.

Anybody ever hear of the practice whereby you could go to a pub outside a certain number of miles from your home and they had to serve you drink.

I remember my folks and neighbours used to go to Campions or Swiss Cottage after Belton's on Collins Avenue closed because these pubs were outside the city limits.

There was a name for this practice but it won't come to me.

Anybody know?

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Posted By: Pogue Mahoney
Date Posted: 01-March-2006 at 18:00
They got to drink for free?..they are the kind of traditions I like.

I remember well when the building started at the back of Whitehall, pre
Beaumont Hospital. I delivered milk for Dublin Dairies (1966). I had to scale
a big wall with a crate of milk at Beaumont Pub to deliver to the new houses
in Montrose. If you hopped over the wall it was all field until you reached
Ardleigh near the roundabout. It took years before that wall was removed to
allow access to the estate from Beaumont Road. Those houses surrounding
Montrose Grove cost 4,800 pounds when built. they jumped to about 7,000
when I got wed, I could only afford to rent one. I wonder how much they
would fetch today?

Date Posted: 01-March-2006 at 18:24

Now there's a few memories all right.My parent's house,where I grew up,is right at the Kilmore Road / Ardlea Road junction,right opposite where the old Pre Fab St.David's school used to be.Even when I was a kid ( 1966 - 1970) there were fields across from our house ,what is now Admore and Montrose.

Pogue,a standard 3 Bed in Montrose...................E 400,000 give or take.

Saw you went to Ciaran's primary,where after that ?

Pat what about you,where'd you go to school,betcha it was Joey's.

Rolo.

Date Posted: 05-March-2006 at 09:00

Now there's a few memories all right.My parent's house,where I grew up,is right at the Kilmore Road / Ardlea Road junction,right opposite where the old Pre Fab St.David's school used to be.Even when I was a kid ( 1966 - 1970) there were fields across from our house ,what is now Admore and Montrose.

Pogue,a standard 3 Bed in Montrose...................E 400,000 give or take.

Saw you went to Ciaran's primary,where after that ?

Pat what about you,where'd you go to school,betcha it was Joey's.

Rolo.

You got it Rolo.

Scoil Mhuire first and on to Joey's. Class of 1971.

I remember what that practice of driving outside city limits for a drink was called.

Bona Fides. It's an old custom whereby a landlord had to open his tavern to you if you came knocking and were from a location a certain number of miles away. So you could be served but a local couldn't. People were driving all over the place for an extra gargle. No, the drink was not free and this was the time before drink driving laws came in and in fact there wouldn't have been a lot of cars on the road anyway.

Another memory is of the breadman from Johnson Mooney & O'Brien. His name was Alfie and he was a real Dub and he used to have great crack sl*gging me Ma when Dublin won the All Ireland in 1963. My Ma was from Galway. But she got her own back as Galway won 3 in a row 1964-1966.

Well Alfie bread cart was horse driven in those old days. I remember when the horse did a sh*te a woman 2 doors down used to run out with a shovel and scoop it up and put it on her roses. She had great roses !!! She f**king deserved to......

Anybody remember the knackers (they were called that in those days so no offence intended). They used to come round with a horse and cart shouting "rags for toys". You'd give them old clothes and they'd give you a little toy like you of those propeller things that blow in the wind.

Or making an igloo in the snow in the fields beside our home. We used to get a lot of snow back in those days.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 05-March-2006 at 12:12
Enjoyed reading the trip down Memory Lane. Felt like I had just stepped out of the sequel to "Oliver" by Alfie McMorrow de 1st! It certainly seemslike we all grew up in a bygone age.  I use to love taking in the milk from the doorstep after it had snowed, and the cream on the top would be iced and real thick and extra creamy. I would remove the said cream of all three bottles of Jersey milk to pour over my Kellogg corn flakes! Also the extra thrill when I discovered that birds had been pecking at the foil lid on top ... those were the days when your milk came in bottles before we entered the disposable era. Even the rattle of the bottles being put on the doorstep had a certain appeal to it plus I knew exactly what time it was without opening an eyelid unless Premiere Dairies were running behind schedule. I also loved when the postman came twice a day with deliveries and you knew him by name before the bloody post office started farting around and changing the postmen by the week and cutting down deliveries to once a day.

On our road we had Paddy the vegetable man who was the king of spuds, greens & cooking apples. He patrolled the road in his beat up Morris miner on a daily basis selling his wares to the women on the road. He even had the little chrome weighing scales in the boot of the car to weight his cornucopia of fresh produce. Regardless of the weather be it spring, summer, autumn or fall, Paddy always sported a woolie knobbly ribbed hat & tweed jacket that both looked like they were handmade in the dark by his granny out on the Aran Islands somewhere pre- BC. I could never understand a word that he was muttering at top speed with his strong country brogue. All I do know is that for the full duration of Paddy's reign everytime that Paddy had an over flow of cooking apples, we were subjected to an overflow of none stop hot apple tarts. My mother was the worst person in the world to be told that she was getting a bargain as she could never refuse and I'd swear that half of what she bought was purely for the adrenalin rush!!! The same with the coal man, during the winter when the coal men came around selling that, our coal bunker outside in the back would be stacked high. Have to say now that I loved the fire crackers and the smell of them when you were starting a fire, plus the boiling water for the Saturday night baths... when we were kids. And the big bath towels coming from the hotpress which would be lovely and warm. Later on when the shower generation came into vogue the only problemo that we had in our house and I don't know if anyone else out there was subjected or a victim to this dilemma. But in our house if you were in the shower and someone went into the kitchen and switch on the cold tap then you would be burnt to a cinder in the said shower. If they switched on the hot tap than your body would be equally shocked with the artic waters that you would be subjected to. It never failed to mesmerize me how they would all sit on their derrières all day and never budge an ounce until they heard the sound of running water from upstairs and then it became like national lets make tea day or use the water in the kitchen as much as we can. I perfected a little bathroom skill where by the instant I was burnt or frozen, whichever the case may be, I would pound my right leg on the bath, scream and within seconds I would hear the familiar echo of my mother say "Turn off the water in the kitchen for Christ's sake! She is in the shower!" I was often surprised that she did not make a public announcement on RTE over it, but there you go!

Re; Alfies horse . I am sure your neighbour was most probably singing "Everything's coming up Roses" as she liberally shoveled de horse manure around her premium flora. Indeed our own garden here could do with a whole cart load of it as the place looks parched from the heat. Anytime we do get a consignment of it from the stables our dogs are elated and end up rolling in de clover as one would say. You can actually see them smiling as their tails wag at the mere prospect of the joy they intend in having with it.

I loved also when the ice cream van came around in the summer and as soon as you heard it from way down the road, you went into panic alert hoping that you would have time to go in plead with said parent that this ice cream was a real matter of a life and death situation.....I loved the little paper cup and wooden spoons...... Also loved when my parents went to the cinema ....they always brought home a carton of orange juice and a box of popcorn each for my brother and I. That orange juice tasted different to any other orange juice I ever tasted!! And the best!

Also have to say I always loved when the elderly gypsies called to the door and said they would do a reading if you crossed their hand with silver......... even if none of it was ever true it was a bit of unexpected excitement for the short while it lasted.Embarrassed

-------------
Ann

Posted By: Sharon
Date Posted: 05-March-2006 at 13:12

Buggles Lane ran from Beaumont Road, near that old Swiss style house, towards Cadbury's in Kilmore

Pat when we were kids we called the lane beside the piggery buggles lane as far as i recall the butcher..u remember him? was called Mr Buggle and thats why we called the lane buggles lane

i remember going into Mr Buggles the 1st day i went to school in donnycarney and telling him all about my day and him giving me loads of the butchers paper to draw on those were the days when u bought ur meat off a butcher and he wrapped it up in white paper,,use to hate it mind when said paper was marked with blood..yuck even know i hate red blood from meat hence me cremating everything i cook..lol

ah those were the days

Shar

-------------
All I wanted was chips!!

Date Posted: 05-March-2006 at 14:15
Originally posted by Sharon Sharon wrote:

Buggles Lane ran from Beaumont Road, near that old Swiss style house, towards Cadbury's in Kilmore

Pat when we were kids we called the lane beside the piggery buggles lane as far as i recall the butcher..u remember him? was called Mr Buggle and thats why we called the lane buggles lane

i remember going into Mr Buggles the 1st day i went to school in donnycarney and telling him all about my day and him giving me loads of the butchers paper to draw on those were the days when u bought ur meat off a butcher and he wrapped it up in white paper,,use to hate it mind when said paper was marked with blood..yuck even know i hate red blood from meat hence me cremating everything i cook..lol

ah those were the days

Shar

Never knew that's where the name Buggles came from.

Re Ann's post above. I remember the same feelings re the milk bottles and the birds pecking at them.

I remember as well our neighbours used to leave keys in the fron doors when we were growing up.

Also the lines of washing on a Monday, always seemed to be a Monday. The old washing machines and the hand wringer for wringing out the water.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 05-March-2006 at 14:21
Originally posted by Ann Whelan Ann Whelan wrote:

I loved also when the ice cream van came around in the summer and as soon as you heard it from way down the road, you went into panic alert hoping that you would have time to go in plead with said parent that this ice cream was a real matter of a life and death situation.....I loved the little paper cup and wooden spoons...... Also loved when my parents went to the cinema ....they always brought home a carton of orange juice and a box of popcorn each for my brother and I. That orange juice tasted different to any other orange juice I ever tasted!! And the best!

Mr Whippy used to come around our road.

I loved it when my parents went to Belton's, the pub on Collins Avenue. They'd always come home with fish and chips.

You ever been in a Bubble Car?

A guy 2 doors down from us had one and I remember he took me for a spin in Elmount. I was thrilled. Like you were sitting on the ground. And the big door at the front where you got in and out.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Posted By: aungier
Date Posted: 10-March-2006 at 11:36

I remember going to the cinema in Sutton Cross. It was a great cinema. It is now Super Quinn. I remember we used to hang around Sutton Cross in a house that is all blocked up but back in the 70's it was the place we would gather especially if the  weather was bad.

Date Posted: 10-March-2006 at 11:40

There was at one time in Raheny if I remember two vegtable men, one was Alfie Kelly from Avondale and the other was Paddy Darby from Assams. Alfie then changed and took up the ice cream van.

I remember the horse and cart delivering the milk and the best was the breadman. He would come up the road with the doors open and we would skut and at the same time nick a few cakes or a vienne roll.

I loved to tear the inside out and leave the crust. There was the jam jar man as well usually with a horse and cart. You never see those old horse and carts now especially the gypsy one. I loved them.

I remember there used to be some gypsies in Raheny, they were almost always scarred. I guess they have all but disappeared.

René

Date Posted: 10-March-2006 at 13:30
Originally posted by aungier aungier wrote:

There was at one time in Raheny if I remember two vegtable men, one was Alfie Kelly from Avondale and the other was Paddy Darby from Assams. Alfie then changed and took up the ice cream van.

I remember the horse and cart delivering the milk and the best was the breadman. He would come up the road with the doors open and we would skut and at the same time nick a few cakes or a vienne roll.

I loved to tear the inside out and leave the crust. There was the jam jar man as well usually with a horse and cart. You never see those old horse and carts now especially the gypsy one. I loved them.

I remember there used to be some gypsies in Raheny, they were almost always scarred. I guess they have all but disappeared.

René

Welcome Rene.

Good memories.

I remember playing Cowboys and Indians. Putting caps in the guns.

There was a lane around Celtic Park that used to flood some when it rained. Anyway we used to call this big puddle  the Rio Grands and anybody who ran through it was safe as they were in Mexico LOL

Running through the lanes kicking up dust just like in the movies and setting camp fire with stones. We didn't go as far as havin the beans though Wink

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 11-March-2006 at 10:54

http://www.users.bigpond.com/kirwilli/games/games.htm - http://www.users.bigpond.com/kirwilli/games/games.htm

All go out here and have a read of this it is fantastic! it will drag you right back... there are some great stories out here about Johney 40 coats and bang bang... not to mention the stories of games we all played... oh to be that young again and appreciate it.

-------------

Date Posted: 15-March-2006 at 17:33

Do you remember playing Doctor!!!!!Wink

Boys.. oh boysLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 15-March-2006 at 17:40

Do you remember playing Doctor!!!!!Wink

Boys.. oh boysLOL

Sure do..........Wink

I knew I'd find a good use for girls dolls............Big smile

Was a good doctor and delivered many triplets............LOL

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 23-March-2006 at 15:55
Playing Gaelic football on the road.

Taking the name of famous footballers. I was Paddy Doherty a famous player for Down in the 60's.

And then some grumpy fuc*er would take the ball on us when it went in his garden.

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 23-March-2006 at 16:59

We used to play kiss chasing down St. Anne’s - I always thought it would make me pregnant so I would pass the fella's on to my friends.... I still believe that

LOLLOLLOL....

-------------

Date Posted: 24-March-2006 at 14:13

We used to play kiss chasing down St. Anne’s - I always thought it would make me pregnant so I would pass the fella's on to my friends.... I still believe that

LOLLOLLOL....

LOL, but I remember the girls in my time thinking the same LOL

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Posted By: Blondie
Date Posted: 27-March-2006 at 03:49
What about spin the bottle and truth or dare ?????????

-------------
Blondie
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it !

Date Posted: 27-March-2006 at 13:38
Originally posted by Blondie Blondie wrote:

What about spin the bottle and truth or dare ?????????

Elaborate please.......the old memory is fading.......what was truth?

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 27-March-2006 at 18:11

how about "kiss chasing"

I remember playing that in primary school

Ah those were the days...lol

Shar

No i didnt do the chasing...hehe

Date Posted: 27-March-2006 at 18:51
Yeah with no tonguers......Big smile......

-------------

Date Posted: 10-April-2006 at 14:35

Old TV programmes.

Get Smart
The Monkees
Green Acres
Mission Impossible
The Virginian
The Fugitive
The Riordan's
I Dream Of Jeanie
Hollywood Hillbillies
The Man From Uncle

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 10-April-2006 at 15:24

Best of the lot...................

Alias Smith and Jones aka Hannibal Hayes and Kid Curry.Remember as the Sheriff's posse appeared aroud the corner...............

" One Thing we gotta get, Hayes "

" What's that ?"

" Outta this business "

Rolo.

Date Posted: 11-April-2006 at 17:41

Rusty and Rin Tin Tin

Daniel Boone

Boots and Saddles

Get Smart

There was also one I hated with cavalry, it was a comedy, I cannot remember the name now, anybody out there remember it

Date Posted: 13-April-2006 at 17:46

Rusty and Rin Tin Tin

Daniel Boone

Boots and Saddles

Get Smart

There was also one I hated with cavalry, it was a comedy, I cannot remember the name now, anybody out there remember it

F Troop ?.

And what about "The Lone Ranger".

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 13-April-2006 at 17:49

Yeah with no tonguers......Big smile......

With no what

-------------

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Date Posted: 25-April-2006 at 10:36
Do you remember making daisy chains or blowing the ginny joes (dont you dare say anything dirty)  Remember Ginny Joe, Ginny Joe bring me back a golden egg.  Then holding the butter cups under your chin and if it reflected it proved you liked butter....

-------------

Date Posted: 25-April-2006 at 10:49

God that really takes me back we used to say "Ginny Joe Ginny Joe fly  away and bring me back an egg another day "

We would hold dandelions under chins and if it reflects it meant you wet the bed !!!!!

-------------
Blondie

Posted By: Black Russian
Date Posted: 25-April-2006 at 10:50

Do you remember making daisy chains or blowing the ginny joes (dont you dare say anything dirty)  Remember Ginny Joe, Ginny Joe bring me back a golden egg.  Then holding the butter cups under your chin and if it reflected it proved you liked butter....

Were they "Piss in the beds"....
What about catching bees in a Chivers Jam Jars full of those honeys flowers and seeing how long they survived for...
Knickknacks on your neighbours door.
And on TV during the summer months  watching "Why Don't You" who can remember the tune to that

-------------
"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th

Posted By: Black Russian
Date Posted: 25-April-2006 at 10:52

Rusty and Rin Tin Tin

Daniel Boone

Boots and Saddles

Get Smart

F Troop ?.

And what about "The Lone Ranger".

What about "Champion the Wonder Horse and the Black and White version of Flash Gordan

-------------
"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th

Date Posted: 25-April-2006 at 10:55

Yes to Why Dont You and Champion the Wonder Horse but no to Flash Gordon.

Wot about Josie and the Pussycats a rock band in space

Catching bees yes knickknacks yes also rounders squares and kick the can my personnal favourite

-------------
Blondie

Date Posted: 25-April-2006 at 11:37

Originally posted by Black Russian Black Russian wrote:

[QUOTE=eejit91]And on TV during the summer months  watching "Why Don't You"

Was that "Why Don't You.............................turn off the Television and go and do something more interesting instead ? " or something like that.

Yeah remember that,also remember a Black and White Zorro, with a fat Sgt. Garcia who was always chasing him but never caught him. Used be on Saturday morning, same as Champion The Wonder Horse.

Rolo.

Date Posted: 25-April-2006 at 11:37

Remember tapping the phone and calling a number for free I wonder would that still work now..lol and when u got through the jokes uld play on the people like looking for the walls and they saying no walls here and uld say well get out then ur house will fall down..lol thought that was so funny then

I remember catching bees in the jars and going up to were montrose is now at back of the church and collecting frog spawns and one day i fell in the river and having to walk all the way down Elmmount Ave soaking and smelly and then my mother giving out yards and grounding me for probably a week but it felt like ages..lol

Remember ur 1st skateboard i begged my mam and dad for 1 and they wouldnt get me one then my older sis got me 1 for xmas i was only one around that had a skateboard and the boys next door use to rob it on me all the time  grr

Do you remember when the local area would have a sports week and would have a fancy dress parade around the area jeez i cringe now thinking back on things i dressed up as..lol

And at christmas time going carol singing around the area and in those days young kids were allowed out late jeez ild not let any kids go out by themselves now theyld need to be supervised same as at halloween weld be out by ourselves going all over the place asking "help the halloween party" did any1 ever have a party in those days....lol

I recall when i made my 1st holy communion and getting loads of 50 pence pieces that were out that year to celebrate Ireland joining the EEC think i was done very few £1 notes in my bag..lol then again i had enough to buy a bike from my money jeez I bought a 2nd hand Reileigh bike painted green and white to this day my Dad still sl*gs me over it saying i had choice of bikes in Sean Duffs and I picked a 2ndhand bike that was way too big for me instead of a new bike, kids once they get things into their heads its hard to change them...lol

Do you remember your 1st kiss....lol...hmm maybe i should keep that for another topic...lol

Shar

-------------
All I wanted was chips!!

Date Posted: 25-April-2006 at 11:44
Gas that ginny joe saying reminds me of what weld say when it started to rain  "rain rain go away come back another day"

-------------
All I wanted was chips!!

Date Posted: 25-April-2006 at 11:45

What about the slingshots you used make from a bit of four by two, a load of elastic bands and clothes pegs. Remember you'd attach the elastic band to the metal hinge in the clothes peg which you'd earlier removed.

This was then inserted into another peg which was secured to one end of your bit of wood and the elastic stretched over the other end.

To fire , you just pressed on the peg and the tension on the elastic did the rest. You knew all about it if one hit ya.

Rolo.

Date Posted: 25-April-2006 at 11:54

Rolo

I remember them well

I was a bit of a tomboy when growing up...lol

What about your matchbox cars........Do they still do them?

-------------
All I wanted was chips!!

Date Posted: 25-April-2006 at 12:32
Originally posted by Sharon Sharon wrote:

Remember tapping the phone and calling a number for free I wonder would that still work now..lol

We used to tap the phone in St. Annes.  Gosh when I think we used to hang around that phone and the auld fellas would piss in it at night... yuck... 

Do you remember drawing with chalk on the footpath... ahhhh

We used to love when it would get foggy out - probably smog really now that we know better... all so exciting back then.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net