Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stories from your childhood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 169>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2005 at 09:58

Yeah there just not as small as they used to be!!!!!

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
Sponsored Links

Kay Fagan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Fagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2005 at 10:04

She never used to wear them It is all new to her

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Kay Fagan
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2005 at 10:14

Absolutely brilliant Kay,

Should be in the jokes section.

Anyway,thanks for the congrats 'bout the other thing and as I said yesterday once you two start with the girlie business I'm outta here.

Rolo.

Kay Fagan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Fagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2005 at 10:16

Where are you going tonight

Hope it is somewhere nice Wink

Kay Fagan
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2005 at 10:18

I'm not stooping to your level!

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2005 at 10:20
He's going to find a new plastic chair and somewhere else he can call the compond - compond interest!!!!!!Wink
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2005 at 10:45

Oh yes you are,

Was going to say not a plastic chair but a high stool,

but the implications and connotations will prevent me from doing that.

Not sure where we'll go but be sure I'll let ye all know in due course.

( Maybe )

Rolo.

Edited by Rolo
Kay Fagan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Fagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2005 at 11:00
Have a ball where ever you go and don't drink to much Wink
Kay Fagan
xgrovehead View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2005 at 15:01

On childhood,

The excitment of Christmas morning and having to wait until everyone was out of bed to go down and check what Santa had brought (and that included the ones who'd been out the night before and had heads on them!).  THe worry the year Santa decided to leave the presents in the living room instead of the dining room as usual and we thought he'd forgotten us until Dad opened the door of the living room and said de dah.  We did the Christmas cake thing too, but Santa only drank lemonade in our house!  He left the whiskey for the visitors.

When we were sick we'd get 7up (which we never had normally except for Christmas) and loads of attention.  When we were starting to eat again, we'd get potato and milk for tea.

Watching the magic roundabout when I was very small, and wanderly wagon, which incidently RTE have released for Christmas on dvd and video.  (they've released Bosco as well but they can keep him)

Saturday night - bath night and being allowed stay up to watch the Late Late, and eat peanuts.

We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors, we have only borrowed it from our children.
-Ancient Proverb.
Biker Pat View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2005 at 09:21
Originally posted by eejit91 eejit91 wrote:

Yeah Pat we used to do the Aga Khan cup thing also!!! now your talkin....

Celtic Park was real rural when I was growing up in the 60's. No Elm Mount and nothing north till Coolock.

Loads of little lanes and fields and a river.

So we used to make homes in the trees.

Remember Rowan and Martin Laugh In.......a tree by Henry Gibson

News that wouldn't be the news........here's Dickie

The Virginian, The Fugitive (original) Get Smart, Green acres, Batman, the Monkees.

Playing football against the pole.

May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Lenny3fingers View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2005 at 09:25
jumpers for goalposts, aye pat? :)
work. the curse of the drinking classes!

-----grover 90 - 96 ish------
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2005 at 10:13

Originally posted by Biker Pat Biker Pat wrote:

Celtic Park was real rural when I was growing up in the 60's. No Elm Mount and nothing north till Coolock.

Hey Pat,

Just wondering did you know my cousins from Celtic Park.

Bowers was the name, Peter and Monica probably 10 - 12 years older than me,so possibly around your age.There were a couple of younger ones as well Rory and Helen,nearer my age.

They lived on the left hand side of the road between Collins Ave. and where Elm Mount Ave. is now , almost opposite Collins Park turn.

Rolo.

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2005 at 08:56

Originally posted by Lenny3fingers Lenny3fingers wrote:

jumpers for goalposts, aye pat? :)

And arguing if the ball was in or not Smile

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2005 at 08:57
Originally posted by Rolo Rolo wrote:

Originally posted by Biker Pat Biker Pat wrote:

Hey Pat,

Just wondering did you know my cousins from Celtic Park.

Bowers was the name, Peter and Monica probably 10 - 12 years older than me,so possibly around your age.There were a couple of younger ones as well Rory and Helen,nearer my age.

They lived on the left hand side of the road between Collins Ave. and where Elm Mount Ave. is now , almost opposite Collins Park turn.

Rolo.

Yeah I remember Monica, I think.

She was real cool and wore leathers etc.. I think she was a biker.

Whatever happened to her?

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2005 at 09:00

That's her Pat,

Tell you the truth,not sure where she is now.

Know she went to England about twenty years ago and got married.

Beyond that can't say. Close family ya see.

Rolo.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2005 at 09:06
i allways remember everyone wanting to be brzil or argentina when playing world cup in the green in front of the house.....

Ann Whelan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann Whelan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2005 at 06:24
Yes, it is amazing how places change in what appears to be such a short time. The first time that my next of kin came to Ireland I was trying to describe how it was like when we were small and growing up which actually sounded quite a contrast & contradiction to what he was actually seeing. There was the old Kilmore Road that we would take up to mass in St. David's each Sunday. My mother made me wear a little straw hat on my head that was held on via elastic & I loved walking thru what I remember as the narrow roads that led thru fields and swinging & doing somersaults on the fences a la carte and watching the cows. I thought I lived in the country as we were use to seeing cows and farm animals, tractors etc & the old Kilmore Road was the main road that we would walk up and down! We would go to see the other animals that were there behind the church after mass. Those were the days when women had to cover their head with a scarf or mantilla and a lady never wore trousers into a church. Sounds prehistoric now and yet I remember it all vividly. In the summer holidays we use to go up to St. David's church after it was no longer used as a house of God to see the James Bond movies.....buy as many sweets & treats as we could get and enjoy all the action of the movies. I remember when there was no Pinebrook, Elm mount, no Artane Castle, no Beaumont Hospital, none of all those housing estates. At the end of our road I remember seeing an episode of the Rioradans being filmed which was quite thrilling at the time & we got to see Bengy in de flesh! I also remember pre the big supermarket/shopping mall era when the small shops at the top of our road was where my mother did all our shopping; O' Sullivan's Chemist, Ralph's Green Grocery, Lloyds Butchers, Val O' Connors Sweetshop (where each year I got an ice cream Birthday Cake for my birthday! Vanilla) & the A1.....I remember them all before they all got the Protective Falls Road Metal shutters and when a shop closed the doors were just shut and the "closed" sign put on it. Those were the days that I recall were almost like a social event going to the shops, where people had time to talk to each other. Once the summer came most of the women on our road were all out either cleaning windows, planting flowers, painting the gate pillar boxes or cutting the grass and there was always time to engage in some neighbourly chat. Now half of our neighbourhood has erased their gardens and tarmacked or tiled their gardens to accommodate a fleet of cars & eliminate the chore of grass cutting & garden maintenance....The same with schools ....my mother walked down to the school at separate times to bring and collect my brother and I. When we would come out of school she was there religiously waiting in the same spot each day. All the mothers would chat and walk down the road together ......I am actually experiencing a bit of a social shock here when I go to collect our duo from school as the parents all arrive via car to deport or retrieve their offspring & there is no time for more than a swift hello or greeting ........

We loved Get Smart, Wanderly Wagon, Pippy Longstockings, Here's Lucy, Shirley Temple movies, Marcus Welby MD, The Flintstones (Wilma was my role model!),The Ghost & Mrs Muir, Laurel & Hardy early each morning on the summer holidays, Armchair Thriller on a Saturday night and the theme music use to frighten the living sh*te out of us! I loved watching Rolf Harris when he did his art on Tv  ... We also loved my favourite, Witchy Pooh singing 'Oranges Poranges, whose there?"....H.R Pufinstuff with Jack Wild. I nearly had a fatal cardiac arrest here about 3 years ago when I saw a replay of one of those shows ....I felt deranged with joy when I saw it on the silver screen & nearly passed out completely when I saw what a young embryo Jack Wild was! I was stunned as when I was a minor engrossed in the programme I always thought he was a big grown up man! Enjoyed doing the harmonies with all the songs ..... And I loved the "Twinkle" magazine & Quavers. My hero was Yogi Bear and I still have a great fondness for him.
Ann
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2005 at 06:30

yeah - it just seemed so much more innocent back when i was gorwing up (80). Wether we were just shielded from the real world or ireland was a much friendlier place back then Im not sure. I think that maybe it was a mixture of both.

the worlds going mad (but im sure the previous generation said that about our generation and so on.)

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2005 at 08:20

Hi Ann,

Remember all of that stuff,but ya forgot the Chipper. Maybe you were into the healthy stuff back then as well,but surely you popped into the Alpine now and then for the old Fresh Cod and Chips.

Sweet shop's gone now,incorporated into the A1,though you probably know that.

Sister was in school with one of the Ralph girls who incidentally,brought my cousin to her Debs.

Remember going to see Blazing Saddles in the church / cinema sometime in the 70's.

D'ya remember Alias Smith and Jones,that was my favourite telly programme.

See ya,

Rolo.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2005 at 09:31

blazing saddles was a classic movie! briliant.

I actually remember the shop[ beside the a1, so it mustnt be gone that long rolo. I hung around down that way during my grove days

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 169>