Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stories from your childhood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 166167168169>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2020 at 17:39
Spot on 1967πŸ‘πŸ‘

The greatest year for music.

Yep, Derek stuck it out. 2am starts .....jaysus tough work.
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Sponsored Links

Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2020 at 18:21
Having a nostalgic morning here in Cleveland, looking at the Grove documentary.  I know it sounds way too far-fetched but this looks a lot like me at the Grove, or else an identical twin with the same hairstyle and leather jacket. My wife is in 100% agreement for once in her life. Wonder if this was taken on the same night as the famous Cecil and Derek photo which would place it in the right time slot. Maybe someone on here can date it?  

Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2020 at 19:59
Cripes Poguey, someone else have to do the dating etc. But it can't actually be you - the dude in the picture way too good-looking and cool ... Jokin of course, it's kinda what I would expect you to look like back then,if that doesn't sound silly
One of its legs is both the same
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2020 at 23:54
Ah -we all looked cool back then, before we turned into Willie Nelsons. The main reason I think it is me is that my next door neighbour (Frankie's sister) worked in some clothing factory and made those leather jackets on the cheap for the entire gang so they didn't fit great but looked a bit different than off the rack stuff. Derek would remember if he ever comes on here 'coz he didn't take his off for about 10 years.

If I'm right that is the jax door, near the stage in the old Grove so would be my spot. Of course someone who knows might disagree and say it's St pauls or something and not even the Old Grove.

Edited by Pogue Mahoney - 16-February-2020 at 01:13
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2020 at 16:00
Originally posted by Pogue Mahoney Pogue Mahoney wrote:

Having a nostalgic morning here in Cleveland, looking at the Grove documentary. Β I know it sounds way too far-fetched but this looks a lot like me at the Grove, or else an identical twin with the same hairstyle and leather jacket. My wife is in 100% agreement for once in her life. Wonder if this was taken on the same night as the famous Cecil and Derek photo which would place it in the right time slot. Maybe someone on here can date it? Β 

When would have this photo been taken as someone in the photo might have been a grove girlfriend of mine .
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2020 at 18:44
Frank- if in fact that dude is me then it would have been early 1969, also the sleeveless v-neck cardigans and high waisted pants came into vogue around then. I think Cecil may have mentioned that poster of himself on the Grove Radio show (one of the ones that survived the fire?) If I'm right it was drawn by a girl named Margot somethingorother, lived around Seafield Road? Margo was as beautiful as her name. Not only was she a talented artist but you might remember her performing a few accoustic guitar songs at the Grove one night. Ahhh- I'm in love all over again.

I'm probably way wrong...as usual Smile
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2020 at 18:54
...another thing that makes me think it is an early pic is that the door is not the jax as I said before (ladies toilet to the right) but was the original entrance before kids entered through the corner of the building. Faces to the left are sitting on the edge of the stage.
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2020 at 08:58
Is that the girl Pogue is eyeing up there Frank ..1969 i was 4 years old
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2020 at 00:58
Anyone remember buying 6d worth of sweets or a quarter of biccies ? .
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2020 at 09:01
Sure do Frank on the few occasions I had 6D.πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2020 at 09:04
You must have been rich Frank. I can remember Nancy Balls and Bull's Eyes being ten a penny and wrapped in a small cone of newspaper.... 6d? - that was three weeks wages
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2020 at 09:09
Nancy Balls and Bulls Eyes.

Now there's a memory.

Add Bon Bons to that list. My favourites.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2020 at 10:28

You must have been rich Frank. I can remember Nancy Balls and Bull's Eyes being ten a penny and wrapped in a small cone of newspaper.... 6d? - that was three weeks wages

I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2020 at 03:38
Victor Mature was the best actor of all time
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2020 at 12:31

Victor Mature was the best actor of all time

Victor Manure as her was known in our house .   
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2021 at 13:51

I remember in the summer of 1964 at 11 years of age when the summer Olympics were held in Tokyo.

My father sent me to the shops for the paper and I clearly remember on my way back from the shops the headline read on the cover in big print
"Mc Court Wins Bronze".

James Vincent McCourt is a former Irish boxer from Northern Ireland. McCourt won a bronze medal for the Ireland in the 1964 Summer Olympics in Tokyo in the lightweight division.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2021 at 22:28
I remember the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, mainly because we got our first telly for the event. We were probably the last house on the road to get a TV. It also added an extra hour onto our day - Instead of going to bed at 8.30 our new bedtime was 9.30 to allow us watch the end of Wagon Train and  Gunsmoke and Rawhide

Not quite as important as above but the 1964 olympics was the first to broadcast live by satellite (almost live for anyone outside the USA)... was the first olympics, with some events, shown in color and the first olympics with a mixed race South African team.

Can't believe I was sent to bed at 8.30 when I was eleven. I remember watching the lads playing soccer from my bedroom window Unhappy

Edited by Pogue Mahoney - 08-February-2021 at 22:31
Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2021 at 08:15
Good stories above lads. I have no idea when we got our first telly, but the first time I remember watching anything was when RTE started, the music at the start and I think Dev - maybe? - was on it? It would have been around that time we got the telly, so whenever that was. I have a terrible memory for events of my childhood - indeed, events of yesterday too! - which really bugs me, as I feel I'm missing out on reliving many eventful times and events that I witnessed (even on telly) or was around for over the years. But there you go, can't be helped I suppose...
One of its legs is both the same
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2021 at 09:44
We didn't get our first telly till 1965.

We also got our first car in the same year. A Fiat registration number VZH 351. For some reason I always remember the registration of our first car.

My own first car was a Fiat Uno bought in 1976. Registration UNI 833.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-February-2021 at 02:28
And who among us could ever forget this 1968 Olympic event? It was a real "How come I never thought of that?" moment.

The Fosbury Flop is a style used in the athletics event of high jump. It was popularized and perfected by American athlete Dick Fosbury, whose gold medal in the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City brought it to the world's attention.[1] Over the next few years, the flop became the dominant style of the event and remains such today.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 166167168169>