Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stories from your childhood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 161162163164165 169>
Author
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2019 at 14:08
I was hooked on Chivers Jelly sets: Jungle Animals, Butterflies, Cars, Dogs, Cats and things. A great introduction for any kid to jaguars, gnus, armadillos, duckbill platypusses (platypussies?) and other exotic creatures. You were always searching for those last few elusive cards.  I set my mother off on a life of crime by shopping in Mars and opening every pack of Jelly to check the cards before buying it.  
Sponsored Links

Biker Pat View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2019 at 14:55
Pogue, similar story.

I remember Kellogs were doing animal cut outs on the back of their packs.

Tiger, Elephant etc....you cut them out and folded them into heads.

Well one eluded me for ages, can't remember which, and bless my mother she said she used to go through all the Kellogs in Superquinn to find the one I wanted.

When she came home empty handed I was so disappointed and wondered (shame on me) if she really looked.

So I started going to the shopping with her (her suggestion) and realised not only was she telling the truth but she had the lads in the store keeping an eye out for the one I wanted.

We got the one I wanted eventually.

A mother, bless her, is one of the greatest persons you will probably meet in your life who loves you unconditionally. โคโค
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2019 at 15:08
The first cards I remember collecting were ML chewing gum cards but I'm sure none of you will remember them .
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2019 at 15:51
I think I remember ML chewing gum cards Frank - Film star series like :Gregory Peck, Tab Hunter, Victor Mature and singers like Rosemary Clooney, Connie Francis and Perry Como....Mad people you never heard of.

Around then I had a brother and a couple of sisters in the US so got our parcel every few months with all kinds of different bubble gum stuff with Superman and Bizarro World cartoons on the wrappers. Back when people swopped comics our comic book collection would be on par with Derek Farrel's record collection. Spent hours walking door to door asking kids "Any Swops?"- Archies', Casper the Ghost, Richie Rich and other stuff hard to find in Ireland. 
Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2019 at 17:03
Never really collected the card yokes, but comics, yeah - we (me and the brud) were mad into them, going round looking for swaps etc ... Great fun...
One of its legs is both the same
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2019 at 18:19
Another exclusive that I never held on to - the early copies of 2000AD, the comic. :(
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2019 at 21:06
Judge Dredd - they be worth a few bob for sure ..
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2019 at 12:16
When did the Easter Bunny take over from Mother Goose?
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2019 at 12:02
As a kid in the 60's, being brought into Dublin city was a real treat.

The sights and the sounds, shops, peddlers, theatres, trams, buses, gardai directing traffic, Moore Street market, Clerys. Nelson's Pillar and of course the GPO.

It was an enchanting city.

Even though we lived in Celtic Park D9, the city seemed a long way away and we never went in there too often.

Not too much crime either. Loads of friendly gardai about.

Visiting Dublin city in the last few years did not give me the same feeling as before.

Times have changed and I've grown older.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2019 at 12:33
All of what you've said Pat!!

The city has changed indeed - it's a lot busier, you could call it more "vibrant" I suppose - I was meeting a friend in town Saturday week last with Annette, our plan was to spend couple hours with him (which we did), and then when he headed off to spend another couple ourselves just rambling around town taking in the sights and sounds...

...by the time our pal headed off though, we were too tired to ramble through town and headed back out. Now some of that is cos of the time it takes to get in and out from the sticks, probably says something about our age and (generally) quiet day-to-day lifestyle as well though!!!

Having said all the above, I am and will always be, like the rest of us on here, a proud Dub ! ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2019 at 13:09
Agree Gerry.

Am just kicking this thread off again to see if it resurrects any more memories.

Were you always living in Raheny? What part?

Edited by Biker Pat - 23-May-2019 at 13:11

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2019 at 13:13
Agree Gerry.

Am just kicking this thread off again to see if it resurrects any more memories.

There is so much material on this thread for a book or whatever ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค”๐Ÿคจ

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2019 at 13:39
From my early memories of being dragged by the arm around Dublin City on Saturdays the streets could not have been more crowded. We lived directly across from Harmonstown Train Station so mostly shopped in town. The trauma from my head being squeezed between a million fat smelly arses along Henry, Caple and Moore streets is the main reason I emigrated.
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2019 at 16:15
We lived on Brookwood Avenue (my folks are still there).  Very handy location to live, with the Grove and St. Annes, just down the road.
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2019 at 18:09
Lol Pogue, I remember that feeling...

I lived in St. Annes, 90, All Saints Road, 2 or 3 houses up from Dave Cranston ( but cos Dave was couple years older we wouldn't have hung out together, but would exchange friendly hello's). St. Annes Park is right across from the houses, no houses across the road from us just the Park. I was in spitting distance of Manor House, which was a huge advantage in my early days as a fledgling drummer, when some of the gurls would have seen my face behind a drum-kit...!!!

Lived at home till I got married to Annette at (almost) 29 years of age, 8th June 1984. My birthday 21st August so I'm a Leo.

St. Annes was to me like a piece of heaven, although we didn't properly appreciate what we had when we lived there ... Could walk to the sea at Dollymount, up and down the causeway, across the beach or the seafront road to the Wooden bridge, in and out of Clontarf/Dollymount, that was our beat, all on foot of course. Or, regularly enough, the bus out to Howth or Sutton. Happy days.

Moved to Swords (River Valley) and our own house when we got married. 2002 moved to a big ohold house in Newbridge, then 2015 downsized to where we are now in Stradbally. Was happy everywhere we've lived, tg, I doubt that we will shift out of Stradbally (but never say never I guess.). But, my heart is still down the park in St. Annes ...

Edited by Rahenyrhythm - 23-May-2019 at 18:11
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2019 at 05:20
Gerry, where in Rivervalley did you live?

I sold my house on Forest Dale before leaving the country.

And Pogue, you're as funny as ever.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2019 at 08:36
Pat, we actually had 2 houses in River Valley. First was in Forest Court, 1984 to about 1990. Then we sold that and bought a new house in Brookdale Lawns (right behind the girls school) 1990 to 2002 when we upped anchor and headed to Newbridge. So I'm quite certain we passed one another on the streets or in the shops many times...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2019 at 08:43
Wonder would you have known Mark Willis, Pat? He worked in TEAM Aer Lingus, lived in the house next door on Forest Court. Nice people, we still exchange Christmas cards ...
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2019 at 08:44
Gerry, I didn't move into Rivervalley till Jan 2002 so I think we just missed each other.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2019 at 08:45
Mark Willis, don't know him.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 161162163164165 169>