Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stories from your childhood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 160161162163164 169>
Author
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2018 at 11:35
Yeh - had it only been the coal hole I wouldn't even complain. It could be pretty much any enclosed space with a door or a lid. You might find yourself under the sink, or on the top shelf of a wardrobe or in the bin. 
It's very inspiring how creative kids can be when it comes to torture.
Sponsored Links

Biker Pat View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2018 at 11:38
Pogue,
Hope you got your own back on them later πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2018 at 16:50
When I was growing up a lot of people on the road were, like my parents, from the country.

So many people had hen runs at the end of their garden where hens were kept and eggs gathered.

As the back gardens were huge a lot of people also grew their own vegetables.

Potatoes, cabbage, onions, peas, carrots, cauliflower,turnips as well as strawberries and of course rhubarb.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2018 at 14:00
I remember my Aunt/Uncle doing that down in Clontarf when I was growing up.  Had never experienced that around Brookwood Avenue, where we lived (and where my folks still live).
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2018 at 14:21
I remember that Pat, chickens and goats everywhere. My mother in law was from a farming family in Templemore and she had a funny story that she never stopped telling. Although she grew up on a farm she was never involved with the butchering part. She got married and bought a few chickens when she moved to Dublin and one day she decided it was time to have one for dinner. She got the hubby's razor, closed her eyes and did the deed. When she opened her eyes the chicken was lying there, looking up at her with blood running from a small cut on its neck. She put a plaster on its neck and threw it back into the garden. All the neighbours kept asking her -what happened to the chicken?

She told the story better because she had a Tipperary accent and talked funny. 
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2018 at 14:35
Love it Pogue

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2018 at 14:47
Brilliant story Pogue, just hilarious
One of its legs is both the same
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2018 at 20:02
Another little story from my mother-in-law from Templemore. (supposedly true) The local poacher was caught with a fishing net on the river and taken to court. The judge knew him well as he had been before him many times for poaching salmon and other animals. The judge asked why he didn't use a fishing rod like everyone else, and he said  _ "Your honour ...sure how are you going to catch any fish with one a them things?"

Her stories may not all have been as true as she claimed..like:  A fellow she knew went to the train station and asked for a ticket to Jeopardy. The station master says he never heard of the place and asked why he wanted to go there, and the fellow says_ "I just read the paper that some big factory is closing and there are a lot of jobs in jeopardy."

She might have made that one upLOL

Edited by Pogue Mahoney - 19-July-2018 at 20:07

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2018 at 22:18
Lol - I suspect so, Pogue.   Oh, talking about Bowie (see that nifty change of topic there, seamless, like), I always liked this old track of his... John, I'm only dancing. Hang in till I get the link: ah there it is https://youtu.be/6VrqCBsbeuc
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2018 at 21:44
"Am straight telling on you".

Phrase often used when you were going to be ratted on by a sibling.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2018 at 21:55
Ha, I remember that one Pat, childhood pals of ours - two brothers - always using it on one another! Then they'd kick the living crap out of one another ! We were all about 9 at the time 😱

We had this thing with worms - dunno where it came from. You had to put a few on the back if your neck and keep,them there as long as you could . No wonder I'm weird πŸ™„πŸ˜‚
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2018 at 16:28
A grandad is out walking when he comes across his two grandchildren playing with a worm. "I'll give you ten bucks if you can get that worm back in that hole."–he says. The biggest kid ties the worm to a lollipop stick and shoves it back into the hole. The grandad hands him the $10.
The next day he's out walking again and comes across his grandchildren playing and he throws them another ten bucks. "What's that for grandpa?"one kid says _"You already gave us $10 yesterday."

–"That's from your granny."
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2018 at 16:39
Crazy days when we were kids and the family went to Howth on Sundays. Not only were we sent for pots of scalding hot tea on the beach but we were given pennies to put on the railroad tracks and had races to the old shipwreck in high tide. Despite our parents' attempts to get rid of us, we all survived.

Once my mother bet me that I couldn't swim to Ireland's Eye.Ermm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2018 at 17:18
Ha ha, brilliant story Poguey, and the Grandad joke hilarious
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2018 at 21:00
Who remembers "Tarry At Harry's" in Kinegad.
A must stop on the way West.
Great food and their steaks were at the time a treat.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2018 at 22:44
I remember it well Pat. God, Harry's, and Kinnegad generally, must have suffered big-time for a good while after they bypassed it ...
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2019 at 14:57
On 4th October 1957 the Russians launched the Sputnik satellite.

Even though I was only 4 years old at the time I remember clearly my father taking us out into the laneway beside our house in Celtic Park and waiting on that dark October night for Sputnik to pass over.

We were gobsmacked and it looked like a moving star but my father had a great way of adding excitement to any event, telling us about satellites and showing us on a map where Russia was etc...

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2019 at 15:25
Nice little story Pat
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2019 at 12:13
Still have a great buzz remembering trading cards with mates in school.  Might have mentioned this before.  Collected football cards, batman cards, old "horror" cards from Hollywood movies.  The packs all came with chewing gum - horrible pink stuff.  Collected a full set of star wars cards in the late 70s (77) - reckon the star wars ones would be worth a fortune now.
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2019 at 13:04
Mel, remember card collecting very well.

Especially around World Cup time.

I remember some collections came out of birds and another of dogs of the world.

You're right those collectors would be worth a fortune now.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 160161162163164 169>